Author Topic: Talk to me about the Nightstar  (Read 12206 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: Talk to me about the Nightstar
« Reply #30 on: 15 May 2018, 05:35:27 »
Quit posting images above 600px, please.  This is not a new requirement.  It doesn't work that well on smaller screens and the bandwidth use for high-resolution images that aren't cached is something that's avoidable for users who face those restrictions.  (As a reminder, scaling the image doesn't affect bandwidth - that's done by the browser once the image is received by the device.)

Fan Imagery
Fan-created artwork belongs in the Fan Art section. Material posted directly into the forums using an IMG tag should preferably be restricted to sizes of no more than 600 pixels on a side for the convenience of other users who may be on slower or bandwidth-limited connections or smaller screen sizes. While isolated instances of going over the limits may be tolerated, repeated violations will be handled by the forum moderation staff as they deem appropriate. Please feel free to include a link back to the full-size or high resolution version in your post for users who are interested in seeing the full thing.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2018, 06:20:15 »
I like to think of it as an official, bigger version of the Marauder, ...

IIRC, there was a line of 'Mechs that were designed as partners or family members to the Marauder. I think the Nightstar and Maelstrom were two of them. Though I could be wrong.

Quit posting images above 600px, please.  This is not a new requirement.  It doesn't work that well on smaller screens and the bandwidth use for high-resolution images that aren't cached is something that's avoidable for users who face those restrictions.  (As a reminder, scaling the image doesn't affect bandwidth - that's done by the browser once the image is received by the device.)

There's some instructions about how to resize images in the minis forum: A very easy way to crop and resize the pictures of your miniatures. YMMV.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 06:23:13 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2018, 06:37:30 »
IIRC, there was a line of 'Mechs that were designed as partners or family members to the Marauder. I think the Nightstar and Maelstrom were two of them. Though I could be wrong.
Your not, there was fluff in the original 3058 where it talked about being the last of Marauder series of Podwalkers. Upgrade still says it's related, but not as part of the series.

Quote from: TRO:3058 (original text)
The last of the Marauder series BattleMechs, the Nightstar was intended as a general support 'Mech for heavy companies. It's primary goal was to protect unit commanders piloting Marauders, who became targets for Amaris troops during early years of the Amaris Civil War.

If you look at the miniature itself, from above which impossible with the TRO picture that only shows from the ground looking up view, it's clearly a Marauder in main body.

Later in the Upgraded TRO, it expands the information but does drop mention of the Marauder series though it seems to just expand on the older book's info. 
It does again remind read that..
Quote from: TRO:3058 Upgrade
The Nightstar shares a number of design features with the Marauder...

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2018, 21:41:46 »
The basic 9J Nightstar confuses me, and has for years. Why? Because it doesn't need an XL engine. Had it gone with endo steel instead, it could have run with a standard fusion engine, and only sacrificed a ton of ammo and three of its heat sinks which, really, it doesn't actually need.

You can almost replicate it using a Hauptmann.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2018, 22:34:25 »
You can almost replicate it using a Hauptmann.

Oh yeah, that's why I love that mech :)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2018, 06:34:34 »
Operational Turning Points: Falcon Incursion has a custom Nightstar used by Shelly Brubaker. It's basically a mixed tech version that replaces weapons with Clan equivalents. Each arm mounts a Clan Gauss Rifle and Large Pulse Laser, and the right torso has a Clan Large Pulse Laser. An ER Small Laser is in the head. Each gauss rifle has three tons of ammo.

Looks like armor, heat sinks, etc. remain the same. Given the increased range of the Clan LPL, this thing would be a beast.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2018, 06:48:25 »
Operational Turning Points: Falcon Incursion has a custom Nightstar used by Shelly Brubaker. It's basically a mixed tech version that replaces weapons with Clan equivalents. Each arm mounts a Clan Gauss Rifle and Large Pulse Laser, and the right torso has a Clan Large Pulse Laser. An ER Small Laser is in the head. Each gauss rifle has three tons of ammo.

Looks like armor, heat sinks, etc. remain the same. Given the increased range of the Clan LPL, this thing would be a beast.
I take it that didn't make the cut to be a hero mech on MWO because it had mix clan-innersphere weapons? I noticed just i've gotten to play more regularly that technologies aren't mixed.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2018, 11:54:05 »

Assuming it dropped the MPLs and ER PPC, that would give it 17 tons, so drop a ton of Gauss ammo and it fits.

Sounds like a beast.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register