Author Topic: Draconis Combine Vehicle Choices.  (Read 2888 times)

midway

• Private
Draconis Combine Vehicle Choices.
« on: 11 March 2020, 11:18:16 »
I'm putting together a Draconis Combine unit. Thinking elements of the 1st Genyosha.FedCom Civil War time frame. I've got a rough idea of mechs, but I don't know what vehicles would go with this unit.I'm wanting to have access to 3-4 lances of vehicles. Thanks.

Command Lance
   Sunder
   Highlander
   Awesome
   Wolverine

Fire Support Lance
   Stalker
   Ha Otoko
   Ha Otoko
   Whitworth

Battle Lance
   Grasshopper
   Grasshopper
   Panther
   Panther

Striker Lance
   Grand Dragon
   Grand Dragon
   Firestarter
   Stormcrow

Pursuit Lance
   Spider
   Arctic Cheetah
   Jenner
   Jenner

Battlearmor
   4 Squads of Kanazuchi

Infantry
   6 Platoons Generic Infantry( open to recommendations for more specialized infantry, field guns etc.)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Draconis Combine Vehicle Choices.
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2020, 12:47:43 »
I'm not an expert on vehicles but some ideas based on factional flavor:

Your main general tank probably should be the Tokugawa, very Kuritan. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tokugawa

Scarborogouh's hovers, the Saladin, Scimitar, and Saracen, are good options for Kuritan-flavored hovers. They're generally used across the Inner Sphere but their manufacturer is in Draconis Combine.

For heavy support, Schiltrons (OmniVehicle) might be appropriate, though can you make use of the fixed C3 Master computer?

I'd suggest adding Raiden battle armor for general duties, don't underestimate Anti-'Mech attacks.
Also the Draconis Combine uses 3-squad platoons of Battle Armor, so 3 or 6 squads of Kanazuchi would be more faction appropriate. But whatever works for you, of course.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2020, 14:06:54 »
Well Mechwarrior graduates of the Drac's premier academy that were not getting mechs in '52 or '53? formed into a C3 company ended up with . . . LRM Carriers, Pegasus, and Lightnings IIRC.

Also remember the Dracs have some of their own vehicle variants- like the J Edgar (Kurita) which has flamers.  The Dracs also seemed to be big on the Pegasus, quite a few of the upgraded Peggy designs were theirs- and they carry C3 too.  They might also have old original Axel tanks, I cannot remember if that was built before the Republic was formed or not.

Like most things, it might be best to check the MUL and realize the Genyosha is getting some of the best gear and they will not be opposed to playing as a team.

So if you want a C3 company . . . well, finding a dual vehicle master is problematic, I thought the Schil had a version with 2 but either I am overlooking it or remembering wrong.  It would be the easiest to make a company master since it is a Omni.  The last BC anthology, Gray something, had the story I referenced earlier with a cadre's vehicle company, they had refitted a Lightning to carry 2 C3 masters though I do not think we have sheets for it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2020, 15:35:11 »
Definitely something to cart those Kanazuchi around, such as Maxim (infantry).  If going with faster Raiden suits then more OmniMechs for transport.  And if using lighter conventional infantry, VTOL transport to get them into places that are awkward for the enemy.  Above all, fast and agressive which is the normal pace of operation for the Genyosha.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2020, 20:24:38 »
Hi...

Shoulda have asked me...

Turhan
Goblin MG
Mini-Peggy

Look them up...

Truetanker
Your friendly neighborhood OpFor source since 1995!
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2020, 00:16:02 »

Turhan

Not available to the Draconis Combine circa '62-'67, if strict availability is followed.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2020, 10:32:14 »
 ??? Why?

It's produced on Unity since 2583 and current.

Again, why not?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2020, 10:37:10 »
??? Why?

It's produced on Unity since 2583 and current.

Again, why not?

TT
By the FedCom Civil War, the Turhan is only available to the ComStar and Word of Blake, presumably from ComStar's stocks. It is not listed for others.
The C3 variant starts production in 3072 (presumably due to Dallas Memory Core containing specs for the Turhan). It is available for the Draconis Combine to be sure, but the OP requested stuff for the FedCom Civil War era.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2020, 10:46:03 »
So your saying because a design built ages ago, is unavailable for production in the current year specified?

What about stockpiles and the old Milita depots...

Hell the Mackie is still around in the Third SW for pete's sake! And that's old...

The Turhan isn"t some new design, it's an old Terran Hegemony one that the Star League used until it's fall...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2020, 10:54:42 »
I go by what's listed on the Master Unit List. If the OP doesn't mind bending availability, sure whatever, but unless specified, MUL.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2020, 11:15:29 »
I'll give you that...

But it's also on the IS General listing for Early Successor Wars... skips to Jihad...

So saying that, I can see it being not on the list...

I think the MUL should be treated as a standard RAT, why you ask? Because it's just a list of common units, ala guide to what maybe... not definitive enough.

But that's just me, overall it's the OP decision.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2020, 11:26:49 »
I think the MUL should be treated as a standard RAT, why you ask? Because it's just a list of common units, ala guide to what maybe... not definitive enough.

But that's just me, overall it's the OP decision.

TT

No, its not a list of common units- unless you thing the League has the Dire Wolf commonly available after Bulldog.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2020, 13:37:48 »
I know, but how many League regiments participated?

The number of Dire Wolves among the League regiments should be able to be counted on a single hand- maybe two.  Its an artifact of the those Jaguar used designs being on the FMU RAT for the Dracs.  The MUL has always been what could possibly be available, it does not list frequency- its why it has extinction periods, its a binary set.

Another example would be the single case of a Orion IIC in Republic hands was, I think, enough to get it listed on the MUL.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2020, 17:17:36 »
They might also have old original Axel tanks, I cannot remember if that was built before the Republic was formed or not.

The Combine never had access to the Axel, that tank was an export model version of the Rommel/Patton that was produced exclusively for the FRR.  The Lyrans never sold it to the Combine.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2020, 17:24:10 »
I know, but how many League regiments participated?

The number of Dire Wolves among the League regiments should be able to be counted on a single hand- maybe two.  Its an artifact of the those Jaguar used designs being on the FMU RAT for the Dracs.  The MUL has always been what could possibly be available, it does not list frequency- its why it has extinction periods, its a binary set.

Another example would be the single case of a Orion IIC in Republic hands was, I think, enough to get it listed on the MUL.

The MUL requirement is that we believe there are multiple forces (regiments, clusters, etc) that each have multiples of the model to have it count as available to a faction.
A single mention would not be enough, unless we believed it implied there were more. 
The exception is where the model is unique, only one exists in the BT universe, then we mark whichever faction it belongs to along with marking it unique.
But just because the Death Commandos can have any model they want, doesn’t mean we give Liao access to everything.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2020, 20:03:21 »
Which is why I stand firm about the Turhan. Just because that model is shown, doesn't mean it has to be exclusive to the white coats. I mean it's been centuries since first production.

Anyway, a Lance of Turhan can.carry eight Zuchi suites. Though I'd use the K2.... gives 2 two pointer damage and still be  AP ... go with AutoRifle torso, a Laser and a Flamer... allows a nice mix...

But overall, it's your game.

TT

Edit: not to mention, eight Large Lasers a turn for support. If you add another lance as firesupport...
« Last Edit: 12 March 2020, 20:06:31 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2020, 20:16:30 »
so the op would have one of the half dozen pulled out of some backwater SLDF bunker? if it's not on the list, it's mad rare.

weird coincidences abound i guess. if you're looking for a representative force, a turhan would not be in it.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2020, 20:19:01 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2020, 01:17:42 »
The MUL requirement is that we believe there are multiple forces (regiments, clusters, etc) that each have multiples of the model to have it count as available to a faction.
A single mention would not be enough, unless we believed it implied there were more. 
The exception is where the model is unique, only one exists in the BT universe, then we mark whichever faction it belongs to along with marking it unique.
But just because the Death Commandos can have any model they want, doesn’t mean we give Liao access to everything.

Actually have to say there were two . . . one became Burton's custom new-toy syndrome ride and the one that ended up in Steel Wolves hands.  But its on the Republic list for the Dark Ages- even though the Steel Wolf one is not in their hands by that point.  Survivors of Delta had more than 2 left after the Jihad when they joined the Republic officially?

Again, how many League forces were in Bulldog & Serpent?  Serpent was the 1st Knights and Bulldog was 1st FWL Guards, 1st Oriente Fusiliers, and 1st Regulan Hussars . . . they had no other source, but those four regiments captured enough to be statistically significant.
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 13 March 2020, 10:13:02 »
It's on the open market...

And this thread is asking about TANKS... not mechs...

TT
« Last Edit: 13 March 2020, 10:14:42 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Register