Author Topic: Looking for help expanding a Lance to a Company (well, Regiment now)  (Read 17665 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
So, one of my old projects was a Lance based upon the Sharpe books/TV series: Sharpe had a Battlemaster, Harper a Crusader, Hagman a Thunderbolt and Harris a Wolverine. All Unseen.

They formed a special Lance within a Capellen March Militia regiment, which I now want to start expanding out into a full company. I have acquired two OG Blackjacks and just won an Unseen Griffin off eBay, so I have the start of my second Lance (Cooper, Tongue, Perkins and Moore), but I'm missing a fourth 'Mech.

So, what would be a good choice for a 4th Succession War era Davion militia unit?

I have a plastic Trebuchet, Catapult and Blackjack on hand, but I'm looking to make the entire company metal, so I'm against using them, but their options if they're a good fit.

Then, of course, I'll need to start looking at assembling the 3rd Lance, probably of Lights.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2020, 08:36:31 by JA Baker »
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Re: Looking for help expanding a Lance to a Company
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2020, 15:44:26 »
An Enforcer.... Davion 'Mech, and it has a big gun! ;)

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2020, 16:19:20 »

Of the mechs you have left, I’d go with the Catapult and fluff it as hardware recovered from a Cappie unit in prior action.  A Treb seems more far-fetched being a Leaguer machine, and you have enough Blackjacks.

If you don’t like the Catapult, Centurions and Enforcers (along with Blackjacks) scream FedRat militia mechs to me in the Succession Wars era.  You could use some of their hole-punching given number of AC/2- and LRM-toting fire support designs you already have.

The classic FedRat lights are the Javelin and Valkyrie, although a militia unit should have some FedRat variant bug mechs.

I might rearrange things slightly so the second lance is a clear fire support lance.  Looks like this:

Command Lance
Battlemaster -1D
Thunderbolt -5S
Griffin -1N
Enforcer -4R or Centurion -AH

Fire Lance
Crusader -3D
Catapult -C1 or Centurion -A or -AL
Blackjack -1 or -1DB
Blackjack -1 or -1DB

Recon Lance
Valkyrie -QA or -QF or Javelin -10A
Javelin -10N or Fire Javelin -10F
Wasp -1D
Wasp -1D

I know nothing about Sharpe’s Waterloo, so this may have no relation to what you’re trying to do in that vein.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2020, 17:07:05 »
I would be tempted to say either a Quickdraw or an Enforcer for the second lance. A captured Vindicator would also be decent.

For a third lance, if you want a recon lance, I would hazard to recommend the following:

Shadow Hawk (maybe a 2D just to be different?h
2xValkyrie
Javelin

Or have a recon lance with Valkyrie or Javelin in command of a mixed trio of Wasp’s and Stinger’s.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2020, 18:06:10 »
Got to agree with the Enforcer love for the second lance. More direct fire support/battle lance that way.

And Ruger's third lance appeals - especially with the Shad-2D. Definitely not a min-max design  :thumbsup:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2020, 18:42:35 »
I think you've managed to pretty much sell me on the Enforcer. Have to see where the best deal is.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2020, 20:30:06 »
Is Michael Hogan in the attached Mobile HQ?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2020, 03:42:17 »
Is Michael Hogan in the attached Mobile HQ?
Only for the first couple of rounds.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2020, 06:32:41 »
I think you've managed to pretty much sell me on the Enforcer. Have to see where the best deal is.

Personally, I would have loved a Centurion or two in there, but I prefer to keep Lances with similar movement abilities, so your second lance needed something with jump jets, and at least 4/6 ground movement.

The Enforcer or a Vindicator fit that well.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2020, 06:44:50 »
When you say "Suns" I say "Centurion" by default. It is the basic trooper mech. You could try tonight it in your command lancs since it matches the mobility of your battlemaster and thunderbolt (4/6 no jump mechs) and he is capable of engaging at.multiple range bands, like the other members of the lance. The wolverine and others are faster and more manoeuvrable mechs that are better in their own lance.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2020, 07:20:58 »
*pays premium for OOP Enforcer on eBay, as Ral Partha only has the Enforcer III*

*Two hours later...*

*opens random box to find two unseen Griffins and a Hunchback*

:facepalm:

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2020, 04:04:19 »
Battlemaster (Sharpe)
Crusader (Harper)
Thunderbolt (Hagman)
Wolverine (Harris)

Blackjack
Blackjack
Griffin
These 3 jump. This is why an Enforcer is a good idea. If you keep this lance structure.

However, if you move the Wolverine to this lance, you can have a 4th non-jumping mech in the first lance. And there a Centurion can play well.

With the new additions (enforcer, Hunchback, 2 griffins) you have 11 mechs. Add one of the plastics and you have your company.

I would move around the mechs like this:

Battlemaster
Crusader
Thunderbolt
Blackjack

Jumpy 5/8 fire support lance

Griffin
Griffin
Griffin
Wolverine

Brawlers
Blackjack
Catapult (The Trebuchet can also work, but it is more of a Free World League mech while the catapult can be a captured capellan)
Hunchback (the only one that doe snot jump, but packs a wallop)
Enforcer

I grouped them by speed and jump capabilities. That is a personal choice. The battlemaste runit is there to slug it out at diverse ranges, from PPC/LRM range to hand to hand combat.

The griffin/wolverine "Marduk" lance is a pure mobile fire support lance. You could put the Catapult here, trading it with the Wolverine, but it would slow the lance a little bit. the last one is the most eclectic, buit it gores for short range brawlers. If you put the Woolverine here, you could cosnider using a 6K mocdel instead (captured Drac model): It does not jump but is better in close combat, and with a Hunchback in the lance you will be knife fighting with these. Consider using the D verison of the Blackjack, with the large lasers.

And there you you go. You already have the components for your company :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2020, 07:51:38 »
I'd swap the Blackjack in the Command Lance for the Hunchback in that last set up.  Movement matches better, and nothing says "leave my CO alone" like an AC/20...

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2020, 08:49:31 »
Actually, yes. Makes for a more cohesive mix of units. Great suggestion Daryk.

TigerTiger74

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2020, 09:20:33 »
What is the company called. The CHOSEN MEN, or the 40 SHILLINGS perhaps?

They should have a couple of Valkyries and must have a Rifleman.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2020, 09:22:43 by TigerTiger74 »

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2020, 11:46:15 »
I like the thought of the blackjacks and catapult as one
lance, same move envelope, but while they have no hands,
this is a brutal lance up close, 4 mediums each, thats just nasty

hunchie as CO bodyguard is perfect, no matter which variant,
trebuchet with griffons or wolverine

recon should be all 6/9 stuff, javelins, phawk, bugs
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2020, 13:58:27 »
They should have a couple of Valkyries and must have a Rifleman.
Pretty sure I have a Valk somewhere, but a complete unseen Rifleman remains in my "need" list  :(

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2020, 14:25:25 »
Okay, so with recent eBay purchases, I can confirm that the following are available for this project:
Battlemaster
Crusader
Thunderbolt
Wolverine
Griffin
x3 (but only 2 are 100% complete)
Blackjack x2
Hunchback
Stinger
Wasp

Currently winning the auction for a Shadow Hawk (a Mech I've loved since first reading Decision at Thunder Rift), so fingers crossed I may be able to add that. If not, I'm pretty certain that I have another Stinger, the aforementioned Valkyrie and a WD variant Warhammer in my collection somewhere.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2020, 06:46:38 by JA Baker »

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #18 on: 08 July 2020, 11:52:34 »
Okay, so after digging through my big box of unfinished projects (it's a depressingly big box), I have scrounged up the following options:

Shadow Hawk
Phoenix Hawk
Goliath
Rifleman
Catapult
Warhammer
Hunchback
Griffin
Enforcer
JagerMech
Blackjack
(x2)
Commando
Wasp
Stinger
(x2)

This is on top of the existing Lance in the OP.

Suggestions?

EDIT: just found a JagerMech that I knew I had but couldn't lay my hands on. Very tempted to put it in a lance with the Rifleman and Blackjacks, and just unleash hell on someone  >:D
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 14:41:57 by JA Baker »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 08 July 2020, 12:33:36 »
Hmmm... Looks like 18 mechs total:

Command (reinforced lance): Battlemaster, Goliath, Warhammer, Thunderbolt; Bodyguards: Rifleman, Hunchback

Fire Support: Catapult, Blackjack, Blackjack, Crusader (L-version if you can swing it for the Jump Jets)

Cavalry: Wolverine, Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Commando

Recon: Phoenix Hawk, Wasp, Stinger, Stinger

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Looking for help expanding a Lance to a Company
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2020, 11:09:02 »
Another look through some older projects, and I not only found a better Warhammer (the OG unseen, not the WD variant Ral Partha does), but also an Archer and a Valkyrie.

At this rate, I may end up with a full Battalion...

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2020, 11:31:07 »
The Chosen Men and potential recruits
https://imgur.com/a/vizDWaI
Back row, left to right:
Battlemaster, Crusader, Thunderbolt, Wolverine, Griffin (would rather keep as is), Hunchback, Shadow Hawk (needs backpack from parts box), Goliath and Archer

Middle row, left to right:
Blackjack, Blackjack, Griffin (needs PPC & missile launcher), Commando, Shadow Hawk, Valkyrie, Rifleman, Warhammer and Warhammer WD

Front row, left to right:
Jagermech, Catapult, Stinger, Stinger, Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Enforcer and Griffin.

Probably about 90% of my unseen in that one photo.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 12:12:30 by JA Baker »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #22 on: 09 July 2020, 11:45:14 »
BattleMaster      Crusader      T-Bolt         Warhammer

Rifleman      JagerMech      Blackjack      Enforcer

Wolverine      Shadow Hawk      Griffin         Valkyrie
Goliath         Archer         Catapult      Hunchback
Phoenix Hawk      Commando      Wasp         Stinger

I count 23 minis listed above.
Removing the 3 duplicates leaves 20.

Sharp’s Battalion Command Lance

ADA Security Lance

Alpha Company  (12)
Medium/Cavalry/Command   Lance
Fire Lance
Recon Lance

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 09 July 2020, 12:06:28 »
I see 25 'mechs in that picture, so...

Command Lance (reinforced with 1 Bodyguard): Battlemaster, Goliath, Warhammer, Warhammer; Bodyguard: Hunchback

Fire Support: Archer, Crusader, Thunderbolt, Jaegermech (if you can convert it to the LRM version)

Cavalry: Wolverine, Griffin, Griffin, Valkyrie

Recon: Phoenix Hawk, Wasp, Stinger, Stinger

Mobile: Catapult, Enforcer, Blackjack, Blackjack

???: Shadow Hawk, Commando, Unidentified 'Mech, Unidentified 'Mech

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #24 on: 09 July 2020, 12:09:16 »
Everyone forgets the lovable Dervish...  :-\
I know, I know; it's not on your list of available minis, but Ol' Paddle-Hands needs some appreciation sometimes!
It's worth fielding just so you can say "That's a paddle'n..." every time your Dervish hits an opponent's mech...  :thumbsup:

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #25 on: 09 July 2020, 12:42:59 »
 Goliath and 
Blackjack, Blackjack

I'm a little envious of this.

There are very few mechs (7/55) from TRO3025 that I never got & those are 2 of them.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 12 July 2020, 00:40:58 »

The Chosen Men and potential recruits
Back row, left to right:
Battlemaster, Crusader, Thunderbolt, Wolverine, Griffin (would rather keep as is), Hunchback, Shadow Hawk (needs backpack from parts box), Goliath and Archer

Blackjack, Blackjack, Griffin (needs PPC & missile launcher), Commando, Shadow Hawk, Valkyrie, Rifleman, Warhammer and Warhammer WD

Front row, left to right:
Jagermech, Catapult, Stinger, Stinger, Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Enforcer and Griffin.

Probably about 90% of my unseen in that one photo.

Ok, so.  I've got two ways of divvying them up.

First, a demi-company command unit, and two 10 mech companies (each two lances plus a demi-lance command unit):

Command:
BattleMaster
Hunchback
Warhammer
Warhammer
Rifleman
JagerMech

1st Company
Command
Goliath
Archer

A Lance
Catapult
Crusader
Thunderbolt
BlackJack

B Lance
Griffin
Griffin
Griffin
BlackJack

2nd Company
Command
Wolverine
Enforcer

A Lance
Shadow Hawk
Shadow Hawk
Valkyrie
Commando

B Lance
Phoenix Hawk
Stinger
Stinger
Wasp

The CO's lance has the CO, a bodyguard, some good ranged support (because your CO's unit should be hanging back) and enough AAA to make the enemy's air assets think twice before they consider any decapitation strikes.  The companies are mostly organized by weight/speed, though 1st Company has a definite ranged support vibe to it, where 2nd is a unit that's more at home closing and mixing it up or handling scouting duties.

The second arrangement is more traditional, 2 companies of three lances, but only leaves 2 mech for a command unit, which I like a bit less.  The CO needs minders.

Command:
BattleMaster
Hunchback

1st Company
A Lance

Goliath
Archer
Crusader
Rifleman

B Lance
Catapult
Enforcer
Shadow Hawk
BlackJack

C Lance
Griffin
Valkyrie
Stinger
Stinger

2nd Company
A Lance

Thunderbolt
Warhammer
Warhammer
Jagermech

B Lance
Wolverine
Shadow Hawk
BlackJack
Griffin

C Lance
Griffin
Phoenix Hawk
Wasp
Commando

I tried to make the companies a bit more even here, with both A lances being heavyweight and including ranged support and some AAA.  The B lances are a mixed but basically meant to handle whatever's thrown at  them, and the C lances are the scout units.  I'd still rather have more people around the CO, but you might like the second unit better.  Fill out the command lance later with further expansion, I guess.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2020, 08:33:00 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 12 July 2020, 02:57:47 »
 i would look at this as a probable battalion list
of 2 companies plus a recon lance or a AA lance

still leaves room for a new box set plus a few extras
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #28 on: 12 July 2020, 05:00:19 »
I have some more spare Mechs somewhere, including an unseen Longbow and Scorpion. Will try and dig them out later.

Know I have an Atlas, but that's more Stiener and a bit too heavy for what's still supposed to be a skirmisher force.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 12 July 2020, 08:29:51 »
I see that the stupid random font size change thing happened again.  Let me edit that.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Register