Author Topic: Bannsons's Raiders  (Read 4171 times)

Tyrant

• Sergeant
Bannsons's Raiders
« on: 02 July 2020, 19:44:22 »
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I've looked around a bit on here but don't see an answer. What happened to Bannson's Raiders after Jacob Bannson apparently died? Did they break up? Go rogue? Become mercenaries? Get absorbed by House Liao?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Bannsons's Raiders
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2020, 19:49:01 »
They sorta disappeared from the fiction when the focus of the novels changed, didn't they?

I can't see Liao absorbing them going well - more likely they burned their bridges as visibly as possible and went freelance/rogue, or died trying. But that's just my 2 M-bills ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2020, 20:10:15 »
Per FM3145 p22, the Band of Five was destroyed on Altair by Stone's Lament in 3137 while trying to escape out of the Fortress.

At least one member of Wyld's Jokers joined up with Julian Davion, as referenced in TR3150 p98.

I don't think anything has been said about the Scourge's fate after they mutinied against Bannson.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2020, 20:31:39 »
The First Bannson Raiders (The Scourge) mutinied against Jacob on Tybalt in 3136.  They took Jacob into custody, but his ultimate fate is unknown.

Bannson’s remaining assets supported local governments and militaries on Republic worlds outside the Wall, but it’s unknown if this was done at Bannson’s direction or someone else’s.

Based on that, it’s possible that elements if Bannson’s Raiders fought the good fight as long as they could for various Republic worlds outside the Wall.  If they had gone merc or bandit or just melted away, then presumably Jacob’s assets would have disappeared with them.

It’s doubtful that Jacob or Bannson’s Raiders sought refuge/employment in the Confederation.  Before The Scourge took Jacob into custody, Jacob was seen running from Capellan agents and/or Death Commandos in the Rasalhague Dominion.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2020, 20:55:25 »
I was under the impression that Jacob Bannson was trying to tie his fortunes to House Liao, which is why I wondered about that particular possible outcome.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2020, 21:33:30 »
I was under the impression that Jacob Bannson was trying to tie his fortunes to House Liao, which is why I wondered about that particular possible outcome.

It was a pretty short-lived alliance.  Jacob married Ki-Linn Liao in 3134.  Jacob was seen on the run from Cappie agents in the Dominion in 3135.

The Scourge took Jacob into custody, The Band of Five were destroyed, and at least one Wyld’s Joker joined up with the FedRats.  But with the vast bulk of Wyld’s Jokers unspoken for and given the ragtag nature of all three commands, there’s certainly the possibility that some element went over to the Cappies.  But it’s not confirmed, and it would have to be explained against the context of the Cappies going after Jacob himself.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2020, 01:44:16 »
They used their Become Irrelevant power to disappear when nobody was looking directly at them.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2020, 02:27:17 »
Bannson’s remaining assets supported local governments and militaries on Republic worlds outside the Wall, but it’s unknown if this was done at Bannson’s direction or someone else’s.

Based on that, it’s possible that elements if Bannson’s Raiders fought the good fight as long as they could for various Republic worlds outside the Wall.  If they had gone merc or bandit or just melted away, then presumably Jacob’s assets would have disappeared with them.

It's highly doubtful that anyone from the Raiders had anything to do with that. The Raiders were hired thugs and would have been nowhere near any of Bannson's assets. It's much more likely to have been someone on the corporate side of things who was using his assets in that way. Hell, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Republic didn't seize his assets after the Fortress went up and used them to prop up pro-Republic efforts outside the wall.

I also just can't see the type of folks we know populated the Raiders' ranks fighting anything like the "good fight" for anyone but themselves. They were loyal (to an extent) to the paycheck they got from Bannson and to their own interests and pretty much nothing else. Maaaaybe some of them might fight to protect their homeworlds but I very much doubt it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2020, 03:41:25 »
most likely they fragmented and most of them either returned to the independent freelancer status they were before Bannson hired them, or just turned outright bandit/pirate.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2020, 04:53:06 »
most likely they fragmented and most of them either returned to the independent freelancer status they were before Bannson hired them, or just turned outright bandit/pirate.

I’d say this.

They fell back on their old ways, retreated under the rocks they crawled from. Some would go merc, signing with outfits not too concerned with background checks and references. Others fell back to their old lines of work as enforcers, hit men, guns for hire or even pirates.
Some probably got cleaned up by the Rpeublic (as mentioned above), others killed by other invaders.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2020, 07:24:47 »
I'm sure at least one member went back to the RotS for another assignment.  ;)

Still disappointed in how Bannson's story has ended.  Seems like all the major players in the Battletech universe are either nobles, military, or merc.  Bannson had potential to add something new into the mix even if only as a villain.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2020, 07:41:15 »
There are the corporation's as well. They do not play such a prominent role in fiction, but they are major nobility in importance.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2020, 07:53:26 »
I just imagine the Scourge bled dry by predatory contracts and maybe, maybe at the end wishing for the days under Bannson. Then again, I am full of such things. ><

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2020, 08:40:49 »
There are the corporation's as well. They do not play such a prominent role in fiction, but they are major nobility in importance.

I don't think they've played any role in the fiction beyond an occasional name drop.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2020, 11:34:52 »
I don't think they've played any role in the fiction beyond an occasional name drop.

It does seem like if you are not nobility you don't really matter in BTU. I mean IIRC Bannsons' whole thing was that he wanted to become nobility so that he could get into politics because in RotS you need to be noble to get into that. It's why he took huge risk and allied himself with CapCon.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2020, 13:43:31 »
It's not called neo-feudalism for nothing.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2020, 14:41:40 »
I'm also disappointed by the seemingly mediocre fate of Bannson...  xp
   But I've come to realize I'm less than satisfied with a LOT of the plot and story choices made for Btech over the last decade or two.  ;)
I hated the Jihad and all the pointless destruction and malicious plot-burning that entailed, but I loved the Republic and the Dark Age introduced by the clicky-tech storyline. Nit because it was especially well done, but because it was NEW and different and actually original.
   Now it's back in Battletech's hands, I'm once again disappointed by the "light everything on fire and use it as excuse to reset the storyline" mentality. The focus is yet again on the same 8 or 9 main powers and the same stupid mistakes they always make. The smaller view and fresh perspective of dynamic rising factions -related to but clones of- the tired old tropes, have been systematically erased. That makes me sad... I think Battletech  NEEDED new powers like Bannson; groups that didn't conform to the old standard.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2020, 20:00:13 »
I'd love to know the fate of my favourite band of axe-murderers and their leader, but from what I've gathered, it's buried under NDAs from the cancellation of the MWDA line.

Still a fun group and full of flavor no less
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2020, 20:53:28 »
Why would it be buried under NDAs?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2020, 18:38:39 »
Material that was developed by WizKids as opposed to Catalyst or FanPro

For example, we know that the MWDA Outlaws expansion got to a very late stage before it was cancelled, including mock-ups of new minis (including the Archer). However, no information on the expansion has ever been made public, even though people who worked on it have gladly discussed other matters
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2020, 18:44:53 »
Material that was developed by WizKids as opposed to Catalyst or FanPro

For example, we know that the MWDA Outlaws expansion got to a very late stage before it was cancelled, including mock-ups of new minis (including the Archer). However, no information on the expansion has ever been made public, even though people who worked on it have gladly discussed other matters

I remember one of the last world champions had gotten to see the archer and was trying to convince them to let him pick that as his mech.  ;D

As for the story, you can pretty much toss out anything Wizkids had come up with but hadn't published yet.  Catalyst sure did. (and in some cases, I'm grateful for it.)

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 05 July 2020, 15:05:04 »
They need to toss out Julian, Danai, and Anastasia. The sooner they do, the better.

James Bedford

• Private
  • Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!
    • OH and MD Mechwarrior group
« Reply #22 on: 05 July 2020, 18:53:00 »
I seem to recall that in 2007 Wizkids hosted a "Combine Civil War" and the players chose to let the Nova Cats win.  Too bad Catalyst did not hold on to that...
Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #23 on: 06 July 2020, 00:54:57 »
They need to toss out Julian, Danai, and Anastasia. The sooner they do, the better.

I know Anastasia got fubar'd (literally) by Proving Grounds though later books tried to redeem, and Bonfire went a long way to cementing it.

But not sure what the problem with Julian or Danai is . . .

Jacob Bannson however . . . surprised no one has mentioned the REASON he was fleeing.  He realized that IF he died, his wife and/or the Chancellor would inherit all his holdings and he ONLY had a title through her.  Daoshen held to the letter of the agreement (and pray that I do not alter it further!) in that he became nobility by marriage rather than outright.

He fled b/c . . . well, he was more 'valuable' to the state at room temperature.

The real question is . . . is he alive?  I mean FM3145 asked where Garner Kerensky was and presumed he was dead . . . same book talked about how Bannson fled and presumed dead while trying to go into hiding.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #24 on: 06 July 2020, 09:28:59 »
Well Anastasia Kerensky did fight alongside Tara Campbell against Malvina Hazen and her Mongol Jade Falcons on Skye and if I am not mistaken currently she supports Alaric Ward as full fledged Wolf Empire warrior.

Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 06 July 2020, 09:43:53 »
Well Anastasia Kerensky did fight alongside Tara Campbell against Malvina Hazen and her Mongol Jade Falcons on Skye and if I am not mistaken currently she supports Alaric Ward as full fledged Wolf Empire warrior.

Yeah, like I said part of the effort to rehab the character after the poor writing of Proving Grounds making her the 'nutcase villain' stereotype.  I actually wanted to see more of her & the medico she took off Northwind- its a weird relationship outside normal Clan culture, and still raises questions.  Honestly, he is the only redeeming part of that whole crap shoot of 3 books . . . part of it of course could be I was looking forward to novels set on Northwind to get more of a look at the Highlanders and instead we got that crap.

I am really not sure where the most interesting place for Jacob Bannson to reappear . . . how much of his assets remain?  I would expect ALL the physical is lost, which leaves him with connections, black mail files, and hidden bank accounts- though if they were in c-bills they probably suck.  I think his safest place to appear would be with the Lyrans.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 06 July 2020, 11:28:41 »
Yeah, like I said part of the effort to rehab the character after the poor writing of Proving Grounds making her the 'nutcase villain' stereotype.  I actually wanted to see more of her & the medico she took off Northwind- its a weird relationship outside normal Clan culture, and still raises questions.  Honestly, he is the only redeeming part of that whole crap shoot of 3 books . . . part of it of course could be I was looking forward to novels set on Northwind to get more of a look at the Highlanders and instead we got that crap.

Didn't the medic guy stay with the Wolf Hunters?   Another interesting faction that pretty much faded to nothing since the death of clix.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #27 on: 06 July 2020, 11:41:00 »
He stayed with Anastasia, not necessarily the Wolf Hunters . . . at least the last time we saw him.  He was outside the normal chains of command (spoke for her a couple of times even) and he was not one who questioned where he would end up with the Steel Wolves (doing the Kell Hound thing) split up.  He has not come up after she was taken bondswoman so sort of difficult to say.  The Wolf Hunters featured prominently post-MWDA in the Bonfire novel and even got some scenario love with TP Irian.

The Wolf Hunters are supposed to have merged with the Crusader Wolves at some point in Shattered Fortress.  Which probably means they are a cluster or two in Beta at that time.  I cannot remember that so I think I need to read the book again.  With the story in Shrapnel for Jacob's Juggernauts, its a good chance that Anastasia is able to gather her own personal galaxy back into the Crusader Wolves.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 06 July 2020, 16:36:41 »
Anastasia is a character who'd actually be improved if they retconned her into having an evil twin.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 06 July 2020, 20:02:45 »
I'm fairly certain that she's really a Republican spy sent to infiltrate and destroy the Wolves. As far as the Steel Wolves go, Anastasia hasn't really suffered for her failures. This is strange for the Clans who hold success in such high regard. Anastasia stinks up the joint and is now saKhan? How utterly completely staggeringly incompetent was Garner Kerensky any ways? Either that Anastasia is Asa Taney reborn. The names even sound alike.

As far as Mechagigavictor goes, the dude can't even win in his own book. He can't even lose well in his own book. The fight scene at the end reads as if Danai popped up behind him, said 'Boo". Faulkner then died of fright and Julian tripped over her Flamberge trying to flee. Danai then facepalmed and decided to peace out because it was so embarrassing. Julian figuratively and nearly literally was emasculated. You're not exactly stoking up my interest if this has no pay off. If you're not investing in Julian's future, then why do you want me to?

Danai is now at the point where Kai was after Assumption of Risk. If you want to use her, sure, go ahead....but use her to make someone's reputation. There's very little that could tarnish hers. Danai doesn't actually have to lose. The fights just need to look good. Watch old time wrestling for Blake's sake. If you're not going to use her well, put Danai out of focus.