Author Topic: The frozen Plains! Home of the Ice Hellions  (Read 42845 times)

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
Re: The frozen Plains! Home of the Ice Hellions
« Reply #60 on: 26 April 2011, 19:57:04 »
Unfortnately, the Helions don't have any fast (6/9) heavies or really fast second-line

<<looks around to make sure the Raven Merchants beat the Sharks>>

"Looks like someone's in the market for some Linebackers..."

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #61 on: 27 April 2011, 03:54:34 »
The Linebacker appears on the FM:U Ice Helion frontline tables in three slots, most notably the "7" which does seem to suggest that its reasonably common in the Helion Tourmain.

For the most part, however, there's a shortage of fast (6/9) Clan second-line heavues full stop. At that end of things, you have to use an XL engine, something that you will rarely see in a Clan second-liner (In fact, I can't think of any Clan second-line 6/9 mechs)

If oyu really wanted a fast second-line mech, you could put an old Lancelot in there, but that's almost reaching.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Caturix

• Sergeant
  • Ex Astris, Scientia.
« Reply #62 on: 27 April 2011, 14:09:45 »
Thanks all for your advices.
It gave me much to think about.

I'll tell you what I'll come up with ;) !

I guess there might be a possibility to add a second-line mech salvaged from a strike against the Jade Falcon OZ or the Hell's Horses ?
"The Mechwarrior formerly known as Stenka"

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: 29 April 2011, 14:43:59 »
Linebacker is a good choice (as "second line"), as is the Goshawk which also has been mentioned, both seen in the Hellion touman. Second line 6/9 heavies is just something that's missing for the Hellions (and really the Clans at large).  You can come up with reasons for this, or just leave those heavies out of your faster lances, after all the Hellions do use 5/8 mechs as well (such as assaults like the Gargoyle) and you'll find more mechs there.

You can also make your Mechs part of Delta Galaxy, which was headed by a former Ghost Bear who beefed up his force relying less on speed (although he's still a Hellion - less being a definitively relative term here).

I'd form two stars, with the Predator and Thresher forming a heavier lance moving 5/8 and 6/9 (nothing slower) and lighter mechs like the Icestorm, Hellion, and the Solitaire.  With a large Hellion force myself, I'd be happy to recommend other mechs to fill it out (such as all Hellions!  :D)

At the end of the day, try it out.  Although you'll suffer from the different movement profiles, you'll also have a force that's fairly flexible as it possesses the Mechs to actively harass while also hitting with some punch - hammer and anvil of sorts.  And having a couple of "slow" heavies can be really advantageous as there are times when you need to hold an area or even just need a safe zone for your faster mechs to retreat to and the Thresher and Predator can provide that.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
« Reply #64 on: 22 May 2011, 08:16:51 »
But in an order for some mechs to form into 2 stars of Hellions, rest will rejoin my Falcons:

- 2 puma's
- 1 Turkina
- 1 Uller
- 1 Summoner
- 1 Hellbringer
- 1 Koshi
- 2 Pouncer
- 1 Star of Elementals
- 1 Shadowcat
- 2 Gladiator
- 1 Man O War
- 1 Blackhawk
- 1 Dasher

Anyway I did have a question.
Given the fact the Hellions favor light and mediums so much, how would they handle duels? As Falcons tend to favor a lot of heavies etc, I can see the odds really unfavorable if they cannot 'dogpile' a heavy with a light or 3.

« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 05:03:43 by Darthvegeta800 »

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 26 May 2011, 13:41:37 »
Welcome new Brethren.

It seems we have another Warrior in our ranks, Ice Hellions.

Now to your question: in the time of the Assault on the Falcons, I doubt there was much in the way of duels. :P At the beginning perhaps and here comes in the Pack Zellbrigen: multiple lighter units can attack 1 heavier Mech, when the target is sufficiently softened, they bid each who can take it down alone. (bidding away weapons and such)

That is the way of their Pack Zellbrigen. How the other Clans reacted in canon is not known, but I suppose the late falcons did not take it like men, but rather like the cowardly birds they are. ;)

Prepare for Meelee would be my advice.
Get to know the ultimate combined arms experience for the Battletech universe! See link below.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/board,105.0.html

Rael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #66 on: 26 May 2011, 19:51:10 »
The gloves came off for sure when the Falcons declared the Hellions dezgra half way through the invasion, but even before that I'd guess that true zell was a bit patchy.

Weight-wise I think there's plenty of opportunity for roughly even duels. The Hellions like fast Lights and Mediums but they do also use Heavy and even Assault mechs in notable numbers. They even have Assault Clusters. The Falcons average out around the Medium and Heavy classes but they have plenty of Light mechs with at least three home-grown designs. Striker Clusters are lightweight and most Clusters will have Eye Stars of Lights and Mediums. All said, weight classes aren't so black and white as to always mean Hellion Lights vs Falcon Heavies - there'd actually be a lot more variety (including even Hellion Assaults vs Falcon Lights  :D ; no pack zell there tho).

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 27 May 2011, 02:51:51 »
Plus you can always bid away targeting computers, heat sinks, weapons, etc. if you're outclassing the opposing mech. But zell and the Hellions was never well addressed by TPTB.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 05 June 2011, 13:53:27 »
Could someone explain to me how the flurries (and the other type of unit, forgot the name) work? People keep referring to it on the forum but I don't really know what these types of units are like.

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #69 on: 05 June 2011, 14:50:21 »
Flurries are thrown together units.  Generally they hold an area until a 'proper' unit arrives.
Flurries are made up primarily of fast attack hovercraft and vtols, with the odd 'Mech thrown in for good measure.
Personnel are mostly freeborn with a few trueborns in the mix.
They are organized similar to second-line units and are basically considered cannon fodder.

See p. 80 of FM: Crusader Clans.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #70 on: 05 June 2011, 14:51:48 »
Flurries are thrown together units.  Generally they hold an area until a 'proper' unit arrives.
Flurries are made up primarily of fast attack hovercraft and vtols, with the odd 'Mech thrown in for good measure.
Personnel are mostly freeborn with a few trueborns in the mix.
They are organized similar to second-line units and are basically considered cannon fodder.

See p. 80 of FM: Crusader Clans.

Thanks! :)

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

Water Kitsune

• Corporal
« Reply #71 on: 05 June 2011, 15:07:06 »
<<looks around to make sure the Raven Merchants beat the Sharks>>

"Looks like someone's in the market for some Linebackers..."

Damn Raven Surats, making deals while my back is turned, how dare they!! ;)

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: 06 June 2011, 13:23:31 »
You could always demand a Trial of Grievance, Water.

:)

Also, to the Flurries: I thought they would incorporate inferior (slow) tanks not otherwise used, like the heavy stuff. Dunno where else they get used, but the RATs do have some impressive stuff.

At least I played this. As defenders they can be slow and unskilled.
That they might even win some engagement adds to their quirkiness.
Get to know the ultimate combined arms experience for the Battletech universe! See link below.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 09 June 2011, 23:50:33 »
Nope, just fast vehicles and VTOLs and the odd salvaged battle/omnimech.  Made up of clanners that failed their ToP mostly.    They were meant to be a stop gap given the Hellions lack of units to act as proper garrisons.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 07 August 2011, 11:12:27 »
With the War of Reaving Sourcebook out... it seems we got absorbed... :(

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #75 on: 08 August 2011, 01:54:59 »
I love the Hellions and their mobile form of warfare. Though, the Asa Taney era almost ruined them for me. I like it that they were aggressive during the Jihad. A shame they had to get  betrayed and pounded like they did.

What sort of conflicts did they have vs WoB? (if any?)

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #76 on: 08 August 2011, 02:00:12 »
The Ice Hellions will always be a part of me, but I'm off to the Imperio. Sounds like fun!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #77 on: 08 August 2011, 02:05:31 »
The Ice Hellions will always be a part of me, but I'm off to the Imperio. Sounds like fun!

The Imperio?

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: 08 August 2011, 02:46:14 »
Indeed, the Imperio del Esorpiono sounds like a great place. Probably have plenty of fights with the Hanseatic League (who really did need a real rival in that area to kcik off the good times.)

The fact that it's got built in cultural tensions only added to by the arrival of a clan will make the Imperio a strong, but not necessarilly overwhelming force in the area. Add to that the Hansa's strong economy and use of more underhanded tactics (such as assasinations, etc) and you've got a very interesting time for that area of space as it becomes more civilized. It's the largest area outside the homeworlds and the IS/near periphery that's been colonized afaik.

The additions of several warships in the area by the Imperio make it the obvious superpower, but it shoudl be very interesting.
Let Miley lick the hammers!

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: 08 August 2011, 12:04:19 »
What sort of conflicts did they have vs WoB? (if any?)

None that we know of at this point.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #80 on: 08 August 2011, 12:10:12 »
Thanks!

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #81 on: 08 August 2011, 14:05:12 »
Well, absorbing is ok for me. It was clear after the failed invasion and betrayal by the Horses. Still, gotta get the book.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 08 August 2011, 14:25:17 »
Catalyst Games is excelling in killing of my chosen factions or (beeping) them over. Making it even more unlikely that i'll ever even look at their Jihad products. (and I buy a lot of their stuff!)

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

Aleksandr

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #83 on: 08 August 2011, 15:52:20 »
Really, the Hellions come out far ahead of anything I expected after I read Blake Docs. The name might be gone, but enough of them live on in the Imperio Escorpion to still have a real cultural impact.

“These will be dark days, when Wolves prowl across Terra.” - Jonathon Cameron

Signature bar by HikageMaru

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 09 August 2011, 00:13:05 »
Catalyst Games is excelling in killing of my chosen factions or (beeping) them over. Making it even more unlikely that i'll ever even look at their Jihad products. (and I buy a lot of their stuff!)

Yeah, I like that factions die but I really think it shouldn't include the Hellions (see all my other posts on the topic).  I'm still irrationally hopeful.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #85 on: 09 August 2011, 00:37:41 »
Yep. I do hope we'd see some other Clan stuff. Perhaps regarding minor conflicts and events pre invasion? Quite a long period of time in which small challenges, skirmishes, etc took place. Allowing a lot of the smaller Clans to still get some attention.
Though I doubt we'll ever see that happening.  :-[

Anyway started glueing and preparing my Steel Vipers for undercoating.
I'm going to make my 2 Stars of Ice Hellions last. It'll be fun to paint the arctic/white/blue theme.

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 11 August 2011, 00:28:02 »
Yep. I do hope we'd see some other Clan stuff. Perhaps regarding minor conflicts and events pre invasion? Quite a long period of time in which small challenges, skirmishes, etc took place. Allowing a lot of the smaller Clans to still get some attention.
Though I doubt we'll ever see that happening.  :-[

Anyway started glueing and preparing my Steel Vipers for undercoating.
I'm going to make my 2 Stars of Ice Hellions last. It'll be fun to paint the arctic/white/blue theme.

Yeah, and its a nice easy.  And the speed :D.  You know who the Hellions are like?  The Zerg.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #87 on: 11 August 2011, 01:16:01 »
Say to keep this underwatched thread going.
What sourcebook(s) of past and present would you guys advise as sourcebooks with a lot of Hellion info?

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #88 on: 11 August 2011, 01:21:13 »
Exactly ... never really been any. FM: Crusader Clans, and that's about it. MechWarrior's Guide to the Clans contains some details, but not a lot - just more than anything other than the FM.

OTOH, I've never felt restricted in doing my own non-canon stuff. Although mine usually involved "Purifiers" removing the taint of the Inner Sphere Clans with nuclear fire - it's quick! - and being in the lead of the atrocities. Scorch the Wolf! Burn the Falcon's feathers!

Instead, we stumble onto the Horses' migration like drunken frat boys, go all Taney on the Falcons and pay the price, and it takes Damon Hawkins to pull our fat out of the fire. Ah well ... viva Escorpion! I look forward to doing some base-white schemes with Scorpion panels ;) It'll be interesting to see whether we get merged more with the Scorp regulars or the Nuevo Castillians/Ummayids.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #89 on: 11 August 2011, 01:33:49 »
Would be nice if some visual elements of the Hellions remain/endure. (colorscheme-wise)
A unit specialized in speed? ;)

MY MAIN FACTIONS:

Register