Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn  (Read 136667 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: Clan Blood Spirit: Get Off Our Lawn
« Reply #180 on: 06 October 2019, 20:31:52 »
That is true.  But things were set up that way.  The Spirits had no chance.   They were the only clan that stressed cooperation over competition.   The writers knew what they were doing.  The Blood Spirits were set up to fail by Kerensky.   
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #181 on: 07 October 2019, 16:37:29 »
That is true.  But things were set up that way.  The Spirits had no chance.   They were the only clan that stressed cooperation over competition.   The writers knew what they were doing.  The Blood Spirits were set up to fail by Kerensky.

And now we are calling heresy on Kerensky! ... no wonder we're insane.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #182 on: 07 October 2019, 16:46:45 »
Haha...  I forgot.  There is one other Clan that stressed cooperation.   And the Blood Spirits ironically hate them for encompassing their doom. 

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #183 on: 08 October 2019, 13:25:07 »
Haha...  I forgot.  There is one other Clan that stressed cooperation.   And the Blood Spirits ironically hate them for encompassing their doom.

Hell's Horses?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #184 on: 08 October 2019, 13:38:25 »

I am curious about this kerensky set them up to fail notion. While it is cannon or cannonish that he did that to the wolverines why would he do so with the other clans? To seed his society with future bogeymen?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #185 on: 08 October 2019, 15:35:37 »
Hell's Horses?

Them too.  The Horses drive for cooperation is infectious.   

But they pick and choose who they will cooperate with.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2019, 20:37:37 by rebs »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #186 on: 08 October 2019, 15:51:00 »
I am curious about this kerensky set them up to fail notion. While it is cannon or cannonish that he did that to the wolverines why would he do so with the other clans? To seed his society with future bogeymen?

When the Clans were first getting set up by Kerensky, Khan Schmitt ran her vision of the Blood Spirits and Clan society by Nicky and he was fine with it. 

But later, as "Clan history" moved along, Nicky rebuked her and the Spirits in the Grand Council for being unClanlike.

I think the Blood Spirits were originally being set up for failure by Nicky K himself.  He needed an example of how the Clans were meant work, and the Blood Spirits were going to be it.

Then unforseen, the Wolverine Crisis happened and the Clans got to witness an Annihilation.  Kerensky had his example, so he only needed to rebuke the Blood Spirits, instead of ordering their Annihilation or Absorption..   He didn't want his still fledgling clans to weaken themselves too much.

It's just my observation and opinions will vary..

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #187 on: 08 October 2019, 16:05:39 »
Them too.  The Horses drive for cooperation is infectious.

One of the reasons I am a big fan. They seem to be a pretty cool bunch

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #188 on: 08 October 2019, 19:02:20 »
I do not think he set them up to fail but as one of the Clsns that supported the Wolverines they set themselves up as targets for the other Clans that didnt get to fight the Wolverines and gain there assets for themselves. Sadly they failed to make a strong early defence against that early predations by the other Clans and soon became a early target for the Burrocks who kept there strength low.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #189 on: 08 October 2019, 20:40:03 »
I just pick my point because Nicky was at first for them, then later was not them. 

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #190 on: 09 October 2019, 06:34:54 »
I just pick my point because Nicky was at first for them, then later was not them.

Think that had more to do with pressure from the more powerful Clans. Nicky's entire philosophy was 'to the strongest' after all and if the Spirits were weak they must be doing something wrong.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #191 on: 09 October 2019, 11:46:53 »
I am curious about this kerensky set them up to fail notion. While it is cannon or cannonish that he did that to the wolverines why would he do so with the other clans?

I don't he intentionally set them up to fail, he just didn't see how the constant competitive nature of the Clans would invalidate much of the Spirits' raison d'etre.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #192 on: 09 October 2019, 21:18:32 »
It just occurred to me that it's interesting that the closest thing the Spirits had to an ally was Clan Fire Mandrill, who were kinda their philosophical opposites, not to mention a microcosm of the Clans as a whole.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #193 on: 09 October 2019, 22:20:21 »
Irony had a sinister love for the Blood Spirits. 

The Clan the Spirits were philosophically most alike (the Adders) became their arch enemy and eventually destroyed the Blood Spirits.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #194 on: 10 October 2019, 17:37:34 »
Irony had a sinister love for the Blood Spirits. 

The Clan the Spirits were philosophically most alike (the Adders) became their arch enemy and eventually destroyed the Blood Spirits.

Any chance of mending fences after the Burrock absorption died any time Karianna Karianna Schmidt walked into a room. I blame her entirely for the Spirits bad fortune after that.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #195 on: 11 October 2019, 07:42:48 »
It was not only Khan Schmitt. Other memberass of the Spirit leadership werde the Same. Having external adverseries keep your people busy and certain questions (as to competence and performance) will not be asked.

I have the hope that the Adders might reactivate some of the Spirit bloodlines.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Warship

• Sergeant
  • Once more into the fire
« Reply #196 on: 12 October 2019, 14:04:47 »
I always wondered why the Spirits did not wait in force at the individual Burrock absorption sites and trial for parts of the Burrocks instead of blundering into the two clans.  If they had done so, I would think they could have made minor gains benefitting both the Adders and the Spirits.  With fewer Burrock troops to assimilate, the Adder absorption would have been easier and more complete.  The Spirits might have even been able to garner more fleet units and enclaves to help support them.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #197 on: 12 October 2019, 18:03:08 »
I always wondered why the Spirits did not wait in force at the individual Burrock absorption sites and trial for parts of the Burrocks instead of blundering into the two clans.  If they had done so, I would think they could have made minor gains benefitting both the Adders and the Spirits.  With fewer Burrock troops to assimilate, the Adder absorption would have been easier and more complete.  The Spirits might have even been able to garner more fleet units and enclaves to help support them.

Because it's a Clan Council sanctioned Trial. The Spirits could have trialed for Burrock assets afterwords but not during. The fact that the Spirits interfered was considered flouting tradition heavily and was dishonorable. The Burrocks theoretically could have actually won the Trial of Absorbtion by defeating the Adders and thus make there actions right by force of arms.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #198 on: 12 October 2019, 19:40:36 »
We could have done a many other simple strategic (tactical?) changes instead of running screaming into the middle of their football game.

Oh, well.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #199 on: 13 October 2019, 09:31:25 »
We could have done a many other simple strategic (tactical?) changes instead of running screaming into the middle of their football game.
In this it was a very Hellion-like action.
Hoever, other, later actions did show that the Spirits could not play a Great Game.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #200 on: 13 October 2019, 19:12:14 »
In this it was a very Hellion-like action.
Hoever, other, later actions did show that the Spirits could not play a Great Game.

Ok, lets all get off of the 'we failed at the game of thrones!' theme here.  lol

Not sure what else we'd talk about ... oooh who's got some good mini's or alt-universe going on?

Warship

• Sergeant
  • Once more into the fire
« Reply #201 on: 14 October 2019, 11:05:22 »
Because it's a Clan Council sanctioned Trial. The Spirits could have trialed for Burrock assets afterwords but not during. The fact that the Spirits interfered was considered flouting tradition heavily and was dishonorable. The Burrocks theoretically could have actually won the Trial of Absorption by defeating the Adders and thus make there actions right by force of arms.
I do not think I expressed myself properly.  My thoughts were for the Spirits to wait until the trial was over and then trial for some of the Burrock's holdings and/or troops.  The Adders probably did not want the bulk of the Burrock warriors; tainted as they were by the past.  The Adders would want their resources.  The Spirits, properly led, could have trialed for parts of former Buurock holdings and maybe troops.  Doing so might have benefitted the Adders, as well as giving the Spirits their revenge.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #202 on: 14 October 2019, 15:13:07 »
agreed,

IF we had waited and trialed against former Burrock units we could have helped the Adders get rid of their new problem children.  Also, we may have stymied or redirected the Society as the Adders would have to properly (or more so than they did) garrison the Tanite worlds ... denying the Society a major strongpoint.

Oh, and not making it a point of honor to be the vanguard of quite a few battles ... "Hey we're the total underdogs, Can we go first?"

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #203 on: 15 October 2019, 08:49:02 »
But waiting until the Burrocks were absorbed sort of defeats the point, at that point they are gone. They didn't interrupt the Trial of Absorption to get stuff, they did so for honor and pride.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #204 on: 15 October 2019, 11:11:52 »
But waiting until the Burrocks were absorbed sort of defeats the point, at that point they are gone. They didn't interrupt the Trial of Absorption to get stuff, they did so for honor and pride.

Exactly! Pride before the fall.

Now back to my AU Blood Spirit pirate campaign. I wonder how easy it is to steal the Mckennas Pride?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #205 on: 15 October 2019, 11:24:09 »
Exactly! Pride before the fall.

Now back to my AU Blood Spirit pirate campaign. I wonder how easy it is to steal the Mckennas Pride?

For who? A force of Clan warriors could probably board without much fuss and take it, but the fallout would be brutal. No chance they'd let dark caste folks anywhere near it.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #206 on: 15 October 2019, 11:36:05 »
For who? A force of Clan warriors could probably board without much fuss and take it, but the fallout would be brutal. No chance they'd let dark caste folks anywhere near it.

Honestly I was thinking of a bunch of warriors and techs killing/replacing and the caretaker crew before a switch over then try to pass themselves off as a new caretaker crew. I know each Clan swaps crew out every month I think? Rather than trying to steal it by force they just replace the crew as the next one then just jump the ship when the old crew us clear.

It was that or try to salvage the Prinz Eugen.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2019, 11:38:56 by Stormlion1 »

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #207 on: 15 October 2019, 11:37:00 »
It was that or try to salage the Prinz Eugen.

Probably be easier to build a whole new warship.

Dukeroyal

• Sergeant
« Reply #208 on: 27 October 2019, 20:48:35 »
Ok, lets all get off of the 'we failed at the game of thrones!' theme here.  lol

Not sure what else we'd talk about ... oooh who's got some good mini's or alt-universe going on?

Here's two alt-universe ideas for everyone to discuss:

1. Following the Annihilation of the Not Named Clan, Clan Blood Spirit expects to be next since the Khans spoke up for the Not Named Clan. Preparations are immediately begun to pack up the entire Clan and depart Clan Space.

2. Karianna Schmitt is killed in 3059.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #209 on: 28 October 2019, 16:29:08 »
Here's two alt-universe ideas for everyone to discuss:

1. Following the Annihilation of the Not Named Clan, Clan Blood Spirit expects to be next since the Khans spoke up for the Not Named Clan. Preparations are immediately begun to pack up the entire Clan and depart Clan Space.

2. Karianna Schmitt is killed in 3059.

hmmm ... would love to comment, my 10 year old PITA, I mean lovely daughter is bugging me though.  Plus, just got home from school and trying to prep dinner ... probably not best at making coherent statements.