Author Topic: KS Faction Rewards - Who are you choosing?  (Read 25466 times)

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
KS Faction Rewards - Who are you choosing?
« on: 16 August 2019, 12:05:34 »
I bought in at the Bloodnamed Level and I like the Faction stuff they are offering.  Which leads me to the question: Which faction am I going to choose? 

If I go with an I.S. Faction, I'm going Kell Hounds.  But I'm considering choosing one of the Clans.  I originally thought Coyote, but given how unpopular they are these days, I thought I'd go with a more recognizable Clan like Wolf or Ghost Bear.  So, did you pledge and who are you choosing if you get any of the faction stuff?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: KS Faction Rewards - Who are you choosing?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2019, 12:13:34 »
Since i ended up opting for Star Commander (possibly upgrading to Star Captain but not sure), probably the Clan Wolf.

My original plan was for a lower level, get the Beginner Box, and dice as an addon, and pick FedCom.

That said, many factions are attractive...

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2019, 12:17:33 »
I'll go for double Star Colonel and pondered heavily about that, too. In my current campaign, I play FedCom. So that will be one faction pack. The second will most likely go to Clan Wolverine, just because. Although Kurita, ComStar, Wolf or Liao (for my out-of-cash buddy) are also tempting.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up buying early Christmas presents for a couple of people, once the pledge manager opens.
liber et infractus

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2019, 12:47:19 »
I have a deal with a great friend of mine. Since I'm double pledging, I'll be getting 2 factions packs. One of them will be the Diamond Sharks. That's for him. He only wants the shirt so I keep the rest.

The other pack, I'm still undecided. Blood Spirits and Ghost Bears are right up there. If I choose an IS faction, it'll probably be Fed-Com, though Steiner is not out of the mix.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2019, 13:48:26 »
Star Colonel, and chosing Clan Jade Falcon! But also getting dice & coins for Clan Smoke Jaguar and Free Worlds League.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2019, 13:59:42 »
Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Wolverine.

They mentioned possibly coming out with Factions pack bundles. If they do this, I might also go with Steiner.
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2019, 14:23:23 »
I'm very excited about these possible bundles. Especially the price. I figured, I might get eleven pairs of dice beside the two faction packs. But maybe there will be a "all dice for $X" bundle?
liber et infractus

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2019, 14:43:23 »
Loren did mention there might be an "all or nothing" type bundle to add minimum SKU's, so maybe there will be an "all dice bundle". I guess we will see.
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2019, 15:20:09 »
That would be nice.
liber et infractus

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2019, 15:49:44 »
Loren did mention there might be an "all or nothing" type bundle to add minimum SKU's, so maybe there will be an "all dice bundle". I guess we will see.

Considering I plan on getting every single Clan set of dice and most of the rest, this would really be nice.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2019, 16:12:51 »
I want the Clan Blood Spirit challenge coin myself.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2019, 17:41:43 »
If I had been able to back it: Ghost Bear, Wolverine, and maybe Wolf depending on money. Course I’d definitely purchase things piecemeal if possible mainly the Dice.

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2019, 21:07:34 »
Considering I plan on getting every single Clan set of dice and most of the rest, this would really be nice.

Check kickstarter, this package is available for $125

A pair of all 30 dice

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2019, 21:31:59 »
Check kickstarter, this package is available for $125

A pair of all 30 dice

Same cost as the dice I was going to get. I just need to choose the 2 extra pairs one gets with the Pledge levels.

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2019, 21:43:21 »
I have these patches I've gotten off ebay. My plan was to sew them on to a couple jackets (star league, 331 on one, and jade falcon on the other). Now that they are giving us patches, I have no excuse... going to do a wolverine (+ star league and 331 patch) jacket, and possibly a jade falcon one too.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2019, 02:28:44 »
Going ghost bear!! Was star col. But I'm switched to galaxy commander.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2019, 12:08:51 »
Galaxy Commander and Clan Jade Falcon
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 17 August 2019, 16:34:41 »
Wolf Galaxy Commander.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
« Reply #18 on: 17 August 2019, 18:17:22 »
Really torn between Hell's Horses and Nova Cat. All about that inter-caste Cooperation, but also a big fan of the Spooky Visions...

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #19 on: 17 August 2019, 21:14:45 »
Star Commander, but since I'm getting a full set of the coins and dice as add-ons, I think I'm going to use the freebies to score an extra set of Draconis Combine ones, to give to an old friend.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

GrognardZer0

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 17 August 2019, 22:23:01 »
I upped to Khan.  I wanted a bunch of the add ons, and having character art seemed cool.  I know I went down on the price-per-mini scale, but I figured it'll be something to help the game grow down the road. 

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 17 August 2019, 22:32:38 »
Probably Clan Diamond Shark for my faction pack.  I might get another faction pack or two but I haven't decided yet.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 17 August 2019, 23:54:47 »
I've always loved the Davion sword and sunburst iconography.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #23 on: 18 August 2019, 00:12:09 »
If I had been able to back it: Ghost Bear, Wolverine, and maybe Wolf depending on money. Course I’d definitely purchase things piecemeal if possible mainly the Dice.

Well, as I understand it you have a chance to buy in for the next 60-90 days . . . which coincidentally sort of covers Christmas, which means OTHERS can buy in for you . . . and now that I think about it, I should mention it to my mother-in-law.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2019, 00:14:59 »
ORLY???  :o :o :o

This may have just been the best news all week. I shall have to investigate...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #25 on: 18 August 2019, 00:21:55 »
I'm selecting the Bears as my bundle, but I'm also planning to get dice for the Nova Cats, Hell's Horses, FRR, and possibly Smoke Jaguars.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SummonerDriver

• Recruit
« Reply #26 on: 18 August 2019, 22:26:16 »
I'm picking Clan Jade Falcon.

I'm glad there are a bunch of other Falcons too.  Even if we don't become the ilClan we should survive in some form.  Assuming each Clan still maintains their identity after the ilClan is chosen.

BTW, CGL is getting a crazy amount of data from it's fan base from this Kickstarter.  They'll know exactly where to focus their resources going forward.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 18 August 2019, 23:45:28 »
I don't care enough to add on for more dice and coins, but my freebie is going to be Comstar

Laphtiya

• Private
« Reply #28 on: 19 August 2019, 06:57:08 »
I bought in at the Bloodnamed Level and I like the Faction stuff they are offering.  Which leads me to the question: Which faction am I going to choose? 

If I go with an I.S. Faction, I'm going Kell Hounds.  But I'm considering choosing one of the Clans.  I originally thought Coyote, but given how unpopular they are these days, I thought I'd go with a more recognizable Clan like Wolf or Ghost Bear.  So, did you pledge and who are you choosing if you get any of the faction stuff?

I went Bloodnamed also.  I have always liked Clan Jade Falcon, but I also like Clan Wolf.  I'd say it is probably 55:45 so not much between the two, unless something gets me the last moment when it comes to paint these things, I'll go Falcon. I will be getting two IS packs though, I want that Atlas and Warhammer.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 19 August 2019, 07:22:17 »
Really torn between Hell's Horses and Nova Cat. All about that inter-caste Cooperation, but also a big fan of the Spooky Visions...

Go Nova Cat. If you flip the challenge coin it always lands on edge.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #30 on: 19 August 2019, 10:01:37 »
I went Bloodnamed also.  I have always liked Clan Jade Falcon, but I also like Clan Wolf.  I'd say it is probably 55:45 so not much between the two, unless something gets me the last moment when it comes to paint these things, I'll go Falcon. I will be getting two IS packs though, I want that Atlas and Warhammer.

Do you like painting green?  Go Falcon . . . do you like painting grey or brown?  Go Wolf.

Also, as Kit pointed out the KS's Nova Cat challenge coin will always land on edge.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 19 August 2019, 10:19:15 »
I'll be avoiding the Invading Clans and the Great House. I will go for some faction more obscure. I'll probably choose one of the minor or 'dead' clans or the FRR (which is more akin to my real ancestry).
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #32 on: 19 August 2019, 11:16:32 »
You want obscure?  Go tripping with the Scorpions, to be even MORE obscure be a Hellion ancestry cluster in the Imperio's touman!  No one even knows if they still exist in 3145 . . . they are like Schodinger's Cat.
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 19 August 2019, 11:56:34 »
Or a Mongoose heritage in Clan Cloud Cobra.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #34 on: 19 August 2019, 12:11:17 »
Do you really need to ask who I picked? :D

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 19 August 2019, 16:03:31 »
Do you really need to ask who I picked? :D

Clan Spaniel, right?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

winters_night

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 20 August 2019, 00:11:29 »
Obviously going to nab the Nova Cat faction pack but also ponied up for dice and coins for Smoke Jaguar and Steel Viper

Laphtiya

• Private
« Reply #37 on: 20 August 2019, 03:00:47 »
Do you like painting green?  Go Falcon . . . do you like painting grey or brown?  Go Wolf.

Also, as Kit pointed out the KS's Nova Cat challenge coin will always land on edge.

I am not very good at painting so I'll probably get someone else to do it anyway lol.  It is a shame there aren't more "neutral" clan colours that would cover both Jade Falcon and Wolf (to my knowledge anyway).  I wouldn't mind some clan on clan action down the line.

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 20 August 2019, 07:00:11 »
Clan Hell's Horses--of the Clans, they're most in tune with my mindset.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #39 on: 20 August 2019, 09:21:08 »
It is a shame there aren't more "neutral" clan colours that would cover both Jade Falcon and Wolf (to my knowledge anyway).  I wouldn't mind some clan on clan action down the line.

Clan Wolf (invasion era) used a lot of flat grey paintjobs - light grey base, black ink wash, a little metallic, and you're ready for action. Then you've got Jade Falcon Delta and Epsilon - green base, with yellow and black trim respectively. Yellow's a little tricky, but a medium green base, black trim, and green ink wash.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 20 August 2019, 10:37:57 »
Clan Spaniel, right?

No Clan is better.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #41 on: 20 August 2019, 11:24:23 »
Motto Nulli Secundus?
Colt Ward

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 20 August 2019, 12:04:21 »
Waiting to see the mockups of the actual shirts before I decide fully.

But currently between Comstar and Snow Raven.   Steiner's my faction, but frankly not a big fan of their logo (Favorite faction, least favorite logo!), and even a bit iffy, too many symbolic misunderstandings for everyday wear.

Snow Raven definitely has the coolest logo between those two, but I also like Comstar, and if it's the right color shirt I might go that direction.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #43 on: 20 August 2019, 12:10:57 »
I want to know if its the same brand as the Red Duke's Marauder shirt- and similar cut/material.
Colt Ward

winters_night

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: 22 August 2019, 00:02:17 »
Waiting to see the mockups of the actual shirts before I decide fully.

But currently between Comstar and Snow Raven.   Steiner's my faction, but frankly not a big fan of their logo (Favorite faction, least favorite logo!), and even a bit iffy, too many symbolic misunderstandings for everyday wear.

Snow Raven definitely has the coolest logo between those two, but I also like Comstar, and if it's the right color shirt I might go that direction.

They have pictures on the kickstarter already, black shirt with the symbol in the middle, kinda basic but it works

edit: my bad I didnt see it said placeholder image, but with SO many shirts it's what im expecting
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 00:04:29 by winters_night »

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #45 on: 22 August 2019, 00:08:09 »
I can't decide which challenge coins to get. I know ghost bear is gonna be one but I have 3 more to choose x.x
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 22 August 2019, 13:32:46 »
I can't decide which challenge coins to get. I know ghost bear is gonna be one but I have 3 more to choose x.x

Buy a second and give it to me lol

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #47 on: 22 August 2019, 17:18:30 »
Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

I guess I will go Wolverine. Glad see some others out there. Seeing as Clan Opossum is not an option. "Quando omni flunkus moritati"
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 17:21:51 by Robroy »

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #48 on: 22 August 2019, 19:12:26 »
Buy a second and give it to me lol
  ??? Huh, not a bad idea actually.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 22 August 2019, 20:08:34 »
Going Star Colonel + Bloodnamed pledges with room for add-ons.

If I go with a Clan Faction pack/Coin it'll be Clan Star Adder and/or Ghost Bear

Inner Sphere Faction pack/Coin would be either FedCom and/or Marik

I may possibly add-on for either Steiner(Though, I already got some sweet Lyran swag from the HBS kickstarter), Clan Blood Spirit or a Clan Goliath Scorpion Faction Pack

Dice: Ghost Bear & House Marik. With add-ons for Steiner, Fedcom, Kell Hounds, Smoke Jaguar, Star Adder, Blood Spirit, Goliath Scorpion, & Nova Cat.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 23 August 2019, 01:10:58 »
I have always liked Clan Jade Falcon, but I also like Clan Wolf.

That would be a first for a canon character  :P

But seriously, surprised to see so many other JF aficionados here

Laphtiya

• Private
« Reply #51 on: 23 August 2019, 03:19:22 »
That would be a first for a canon character  :P

Hahaha yeah I don't think you'll get that as a canon character  ^-^

They're both good clans and the fact that they are rivals and at odds with each other can make for great table top action.  If I can get some more cash together I might buy another Clan star and paint them as either Wolf or Jade Falcon (whoever I don't choose as my main).

H

• Recruit
« Reply #52 on: 23 August 2019, 11:24:14 »

I thought Wolf and Jade Falcon were "always" the most popular Clans?

I have thoughts of getting a Star Adder pack, but who am I kidding, it's going to be Jade Falcon for me really.

norge71

• Recruit
« Reply #53 on: 23 August 2019, 12:46:50 »
Faction pack, coin and dice for Ghost Bear. I might also pick up some FRR dice and coin as well.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 23 August 2019, 14:08:21 »
I'm debating what to do with the neoprene map.  I might swap it out for 3 more challenge coins, in which case I'd just take one of each of the original Invading Clans.  Jade Falcon, Wolf, Ghost Bear, Smoke Jaguar.

If not that, I'll probably go with the Davion one, or maybe Kurita, because that dragon symbol just looks kickass.  I'm not gonna wear the t-shirt though.  Alternatively, I may just swap out the mapsheet for another Star of mechs, because that's why I'm buying this thing in the first place.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 23 August 2019, 14:13:06 »
I thought Wolf and Jade Falcon were "always" the most popular Clans?

I have thoughts of getting a Star Adder pack, but who am I kidding, it's going to be Jade Falcon for me really.

IIRC, Herb's polling from back in the day put the Ghost Bears at #1 in the Clans, ahead of the Capellan Confederation, while Wolf and Jade Falcon were behind the CC.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #56 on: 23 August 2019, 14:17:46 »
Yeah, Wolves fell off after the Refusal War . . . and I am pretty sure Malvina has turned off Falcon fans.  The Bears are pretty stable and have the big warship . . .
Colt Ward

H

• Recruit
« Reply #57 on: 23 August 2019, 14:39:54 »
IIRC, Herb's polling from back in the day put the Ghost Bears at #1 in the Clans, ahead of the Capellan Confederation, while Wolf and Jade Falcon were behind the CC.

Well, I've been out of the loop for quite a while, so in my "headcanon" the time line "ends" at about 3070, so I barely have any idea what goes on after that.  I guess I just assumed it be JF and Wolf in popularity, but I could see how many people would have good reason to not like them.  Heck, even I sometimes don't like JF, but loyalty is loyalty.

I am definitely getting a pair of ComStar dice though.  Although maybe I'll get some Star Adder dice, depending on how much I feel I can drop when the pledge manager opens...

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 23 August 2019, 15:12:39 »
Yeah, Wolves fell off after the Refusal War . . . and I am pretty sure Malvina has turned off Falcon fans.  The Bears are pretty stable and have the big warship . . .

While I will admit that Malvina has soured me on the Dark Age Clan Jade Falcon and I have doubts that we'll survive what's coming (at least in any sort of form recognizable as Jade Falcons), I still bleed jade. 

I should probably get that checked out, huh?
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #59 on: 23 August 2019, 15:15:37 »

Ah, the 2009 Favorite Factions vote! We had almost 1100 respondents, picking their favorite factions from those in play as of the Dark Age timeline. The numbers went as follows:

Federated Suns - 25%
Lyran Commonwealth - 10.4%
Draconis Combine - 10.2%
Rasalhague Dominion - 7.6%
Free Worlds League - 6.3%
Capellan Confederation - 5.7%
Clan Wolf - 5.2%
ComStar - 5%
Republic of the Sphere - 4.5%
Clan Jade Falcon - 3.9%
Magistracy of Canopus - 3.4%
Raven Alliance - 3.3%
Taurian Concordat - 2.9%
Clan Hell's Horses - 2.4%
Marian Hegemony - 1.5%
Rim Collection - 0.8%
Filvelt Coalition - 0.5%
Calderon Protectorate - 0.4%
Tortuga Dominions - 0.4%
Lothian League - 0.4%
Fronc Reaches - 0.2%
Rim Territories - 0.1%

So, yeah, by technicality, Ghost Bear got more votes than Marik and Liao. Wolf was just behind the Capellans. And Jade Falcon was behind the Republic.

Fun times! So many plans based on that poll!

- Herb

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #60 on: 23 August 2019, 15:46:38 »
I wonder what kind of numbers an era-agnostic poll would pull? Though i suppose Wolverines, Word of Blake and Rim Worlds Republic wouldn't change things much.

What about Clans and Inner Sphere/Periphery separately? I mean, if you ask me about my overall favorite, i'm inclined to say FedCom or CapCon, but if the Clans were in separate poll, i'd probably pick Wolves for that one. (And if the Periphery were yet another poll, i'd probably say Taurians for that one.)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #61 on: 23 August 2019, 16:53:06 »
Ah, the 2009 Favorite Factions vote! We had almost 1100 respondents, picking their favorite factions from those in play as of the Dark Age timeline. The numbers went as follows:

Federated Suns - 25%

Fun times! So many plans based on that poll!

- Herb

Too translate Herb, its 'Who to repeatedly kick in the nuts first.'
Colt Ward

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 23 August 2019, 17:06:19 »
Someone has that as a quote in their signature...

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #63 on: 23 August 2019, 17:19:29 »
Too translate Herb, its 'Who to repeatedly kick in the nuts first.'
"Too keep them involved"  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 23 August 2019, 18:25:32 »
Is that poll why A Feast For Crows, Shattered Fortress, the book that was supposed to be the foundation for the taking of Terra, was nigh obsessively focused on the rapidly degrading situation in the Federated Suns and hardly features the clan contenders?  :P

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #65 on: 23 August 2019, 19:01:41 »
I wonder what kind of numbers an era-agnostic poll would pull? Though i suppose Wolverines, Word of Blake and Rim Worlds Republic wouldn't change things much.

Hard to say, but since I had an ulterior motive, that poll had to focus on Dark Age-era factions. and it was perhaps the only time during my tenure that we got more than 1000 people to chime in, which made me feel pretty confident that we had a good sample of the gaming populace.

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #66 on: 23 August 2019, 19:05:10 »
Is that poll why A Feast For Crows, Shattered Fortress, the book that was supposed to be the foundation for the taking of Terra, was nigh obsessively focused on the rapidly degrading situation in the Federated Suns and hardly features the clan contenders?  :P

I doubt it. I haven't seen that book anyway. The poll was to determine what followed in a grander scale; had it gone to plan, it would probably be the first really major, map-changing event the fans basically guided us to.

But that was another lifetime, so... meh. Who really cares now?

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #67 on: 23 August 2019, 19:09:08 »
"Too keep them involved"  ;)

Yup. The very low-scorers on that poll weren't gonna be in the game much longer.

And at least one of the higher scorers was going to vanish regardless...

But that was then. Then is not now.

- Herb

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: 23 August 2019, 20:41:33 »
You have to careful invoking his name too many times at once.  You'll get his attention and he'll manifest in a mushroom cloud and nuke the homeworld of your favorite faction!

I guess I started this as a way to justify me getting Coyote stuff, but I feel like a different faction is how I'll go...

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #69 on: 23 August 2019, 22:02:52 »
I would have made that only one post but for some reason this device I'm on wouldn't let me.

I'll endeavor to be less intrusive when my name is invoked in the future.

- Herb

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 23 August 2019, 22:31:07 »
I doubt it. I haven't seen that book anyway. The poll was to determine what followed in a grander scale; had it gone to plan, it would probably be the first really major, map-changing event the fans basically guided us to.

I played in the FGCs. I know what fans can and will do to the map. No Thanks, hard pass.  :P

Yup. The very low-scorers on that poll weren't gonna be in the game much longer.

And at least one of the higher scorers was going to vanish regardless...

Ew. I'll never understand the glee some folks have about completely wiping stuff out from the game. About the only faction I would remotely want to see that happen to is the Republic of the Sphere. and even then I hesitate.

But that was then. Then is not now.

- Herb

Here's hoping the course has changed significantly.

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: 23 August 2019, 22:33:57 »

What about Clans and Inner Sphere/Periphery separately? I mean, if you ask me about my overall favorite, i'm inclined to say FedCom or CapCon, but if the Clans were in separate poll, i'd probably pick Wolves for that one. (And if the Periphery were yet another poll, i'd probably say Taurians for that one.)

That's what I'd like to see it done as too.  Because in a one vote sort of system like that one seems to be, I can see a lot of people picking their favorite faction, but that leaves 'favorite clan' as a definite wayside in popularity.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 23 August 2019, 23:55:46 »
Going Mongoose, mostly to get something that isn't as mainstream or is somewhat retro for BTU.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #73 on: 24 August 2019, 00:16:13 »
I played in the FGCs. I know what fans can and will do to the map. No Thanks, hard pass.  :P

Meh. Each their own.

Ew. I'll never understand the glee some folks have about completely wiping stuff out from the game. About the only faction I would remotely want to see that happen to is the Republic of the Sphere. and even then I hesitate.

I don't know where you're getting "glee" in that, but it doesn't really matter. This would have been more a cost-saving measure, in the long run.

Here's hoping the course has changed significantly.

Whatever. It's not my problem anymore, either way.

- Herb

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #74 on: 24 August 2019, 01:03:45 »
Meh. Each their own.

I don't know where you're getting "glee" in that, but it doesn't really matter. This would have been more a cost-saving measure, in the long run.

Whatever. It's not my problem anymore, either way.

- Herb
For what it's worth I enjoyed the products you had a hand in.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 24 August 2019, 01:30:43 »
For what it's worth I enjoyed the products you had a hand in.

As did I. It was a fun run.

- Herb

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #76 on: 24 August 2019, 01:41:47 »
As did I. It was a fun run.

- Herb
As the star league shows, nothing lasts forever =).  Just take care of you yeah? Not sure if you play much Xbox but you can find me under apyllon. Unlike him I have pants ;)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #77 on: 24 August 2019, 02:34:56 »
As the star league shows, nothing lasts forever =).  Just take care of you yeah? Not sure if you play much Xbox but you can find me under apyllon. Unlike him I have pants ;)

Hahahah! Can you believe, in all the extra material I wrote for Apollyon in that last book, I never answered the pants or no pants question? One for the ages, I suppose!

But, alas, I don't really play much Xbox, and so I don't have a Gold account. I think you can find me under Habeas2, though.

- Herb

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #78 on: 24 August 2019, 05:03:13 »
I would have made that only one post but for some reason this device I'm on wouldn't let me.

I'll endeavor to be less intrusive when my name is invoked in the future.

- Herb
You're hardly intrusive.  When I stopped playing Btech, you were no longer working with them, so I take it as a good sign that you're active on here. 

But it was meant more as a joke and a compliment.  You've had a huge effect on the Btech universe and all of the projects you were involved with were top quality content. 

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #79 on: 24 August 2019, 13:27:00 »
Why thank you, good sir! I like to think I did my best.

- Herb

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #80 on: 29 August 2019, 19:23:14 »
I’m going with Goliath Scorpions because I can, and it just fits (and ‘cause I can’t have the Magistracy)

Star Admiral

• Recruit
« Reply #81 on: 01 September 2019, 06:45:53 »
I definitely will be going with ice hellion

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 08 September 2019, 05:08:16 »
Asking for a friend who’s new to the clans (and to the tabletop game)…

Is there any situation in which a Smoke Jaguar binary or trinary would have mostly omnimechs plus a few old or salvaged inner sphere mechs?  That’s the situation he’ll be in once he gets his Kickstarter stuff.  Wave 1 only, so no explicitly second-line clan mechs. Thanks to those random mechs we’ll all be getting a few of, he ends up an incomplete star that he could fill out with spare IS mechs, which he’ll have 2-3 of. 

Another option is to pretend those IS mechs are IIC’s.  Wolverine -> Conjurer, Marauder II -> Marauder IIC… not sure if there’d be a third.  But would you ever see that?  Especially in Smoke Jaguar?

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #83 on: 08 September 2019, 05:21:43 »
Inner Sphere tech-based 'Mechs were used by the clans as part of their (provisional) garrison clusters and other second line forces. Most of these 'Mechs were probably Star League variants from caches, but sometimes salvaged IS 'Mechs were also used. So, yes that would happen, but probably not before 3052, when the Clans had to deal with the Truce of Tukayyid.

Playing with proxies is always possible in BT. But a Wolverine simply isn't a Conjurer and a Marauder II not a Marauder IIC, so technically this will always be using a proxy unit. But hey, why not?
liber et infractus

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #84 on: 08 September 2019, 12:07:08 »
Material shortages forced the Jaguars to begin using IS mechs extensively in order to be able to field anything at all. This was shown in the Twilight of the Clans novels and the Task Force Serpent scenario book.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #85 on: 08 September 2019, 20:26:06 »
The Battle for Twycross scenario book (which is freaking old) introduced a few classic IS designs refit with Clan equipment known as the (C) series, including the Warhammer, Rifleman, Atlas, Archer, Marauder, Thunderbolt, Shadow Hawk, and Victor. Basically, they were the standard BattleMechs with the weaponry swapped out for ClanTech equivalents or sometimes replacements i.e. the Warhammer (C) swapped it's PPCs out for Clan Large Pulse Lasers. I believe these 'Mechs were designed before the IICs were created as a way of representing Clan second-line troops in the Twycross book, but I'm not prepared to swear by that.

For the Smoke Jaguars in particular, I'd say go for it. As noted, there is some precedent with the forces in the Homeworlds, though even second-line units in the OZ seemed pretty well equipped with Omnis, Clan BattleMechs, and IICs if The Dragon Roars and HTP: Luzerne books are anything to go by. I personally plan on going you plan B route, plopping down a Marauder, Warhammer, etc. but calling it a IIC. Though, having remembered the (C)s, I may use them too.  :thumbsup:
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #86 on: 08 September 2019, 21:24:48 »
Weren't those refits introduced well before that book? I'm pretty sure that I saw them in Invading Clans or one of the other books about the original invasion.

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #87 on: 08 September 2019, 21:28:49 »
I was hoping to trade mine away for more mechs but got no takers. The easy choice will be Jade Falcon though I might go Fed Com or Wolverine.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 08 September 2019, 21:32:51 »
Weren't those refits introduced well before that book? I'm pretty sure that I saw them in Invading Clans or one of the other books about the original invasion.

Battle for Twycross came out 1990.
Invading Clans came out 1994.
They were also in Tukayyid sourcebook, but that was also after Battle for Twycross.
Considering TR3050 also came out in 1990, there's not going to be much that was released before Battle for Twycross.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #89 on: 08 September 2019, 21:55:15 »
It's been a long time. I forgot the order that some of that stuff got released in.

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #90 on: 09 September 2019, 03:03:48 »
The Battle for Twycross scenario book (which is freaking old) introduced a few classic IS designs refit with Clan equipment known as the (C) series, including the Warhammer, Rifleman, Atlas, Archer, Marauder, Thunderbolt, Shadow Hawk, and Victor. Basically, they were the standard BattleMechs with the weaponry swapped out for ClanTech equivalents or sometimes replacements i.e. the Warhammer (C) swapped it's PPCs out for Clan Large Pulse Lasers. I believe these 'Mechs were designed before the IICs were created as a way of representing Clan second-line troops in the Twycross book, but I'm not prepared to swear by that.

I swore the (C) series refits were in the Fasa 1647-1650 record sheets, but the copies I have don't have 'em

massey

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: 13 September 2019, 11:06:14 »
I could swear I've seen the C refit record sheets somewhere, but hell if I can remember where.  That would have been at least 20 years ago when I last looked at them.  Once upon a time I got rid of all my game stuff, and my collection now is significantly smaller.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #92 on: 13 September 2019, 11:13:32 »
Record Sheets: TRO 3050 Upgrade unabridged Inner Sphere and Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrade unabridged have record sheets for the C.refits.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 13 September 2019, 11:17:56 »
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/90/archer-c

The MUL lists the most appropriate TR entry and where to god. The current RS.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: 13 September 2019, 12:47:37 »
I could swear I've seen the C refit record sheets somewhere, but hell if I can remember where.  That would have been at least 20 years ago when I last looked at them.  Once upon a time I got rid of all my game stuff, and my collection now is significantly smaller.

Pretty sure those were in the FASA 1647-1650 volumes of record sheets, but I don't have copies of those anymore to check.
Sarna seems to confirm, though: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Record_Sheets_Volume_Three:_Heavy_%27Mechs

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #95 on: 13 September 2019, 13:09:18 »
honestly i kinda wish that with this revisit to the period, they'd go through and revamp those old C refits to make a little more sense.. filling in the unused space with extra heatsinks and such, since the fluff now has the C refits being depot level changes to brian cache gear rather than field refits of captured and salvaged hardware.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #96 on: 13 September 2019, 14:06:00 »
honestly i kinda wish that with this revisit to the period, they'd go through and revamp those old C refits to make a little more sense.. filling in the unused space with extra heatsinks and such, since the fluff now has the C refits being depot level changes to brian cache gear rather than field refits of captured and salvaged hardware.
So much this, even just filling them up with SHS would be good enough.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #97 on: 13 September 2019, 14:27:55 »
The fluff changed?

I mean, they have all those IS mechs from the regiments they wrecked . . . even saying only a third survived to be repaired, the rest blowing from a ammo hit or CT death should have left them with a lot of machines to build secondline forces- or trade back in the Homeworlds for poorer Clans to bulk out (give you a salvaged unarmed Warhammer 6R for 10 DHS, quiaff?) while the Invaders get what they need.

But with that said, they should have had stacks of old 3025 weapons, SHS and SFE from mechs they did not get put back together.  Wrecked Archer, Crusader and salvaged Warhammer should leave Clan techs enough SHS to stuff into the 'C' models- its not like the Clans have much use for them.
Colt Ward

massey

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 14 September 2019, 11:13:23 »
I dunno.  I kinda like the idea that they just swapped out some weapons and called it good.  I mean it's probably only a dirty freebirth piloting that thing anyway.