Author Topic: Shattered Fortress (Spoilers)- FedSuns discussion  (Read 6505 times)

Frank

• Master Sergeant
  • The True Holders Of Kerensky's Legecy
Re: Shattered Fortress (Spoilers)- FedSuns discussion
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2018, 23:23:03 »
The mystery of Challenge Systems. Will we ever know what has been going on there? and will it help the Fedsuns when it is revealed?

Will Julian use the business card he got from Gavin Marik-Davion? What resources does Gavin bring to the table?

When will the Marik's come to claim their marker with Julian and what will it entill?

Wonder what the cost of Liberating New Avalon will be?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2018, 23:35:06 »
The upheavals to the interstellar political order resulting from the rise of an ilClan will IMO probably render moot the dynamics between Davion and Kurita, with the fate of New Avalon included.

but presuming an ilClan doesn't conquer both sides or otherwise dictate the outcome of the war in an Operation SMOTHER II:

I'd expect that New Avalon is a quagmire for the DCMS. Its mech factories can't possibly operate at comparable pre-occupation levels... unless for some reason all the subcontract components for Achernar and Corean et al were coincidentally on worlds now in the Dragon's Tongue.

And speaking of the Tongue: that's a terribly vulnerable line of supply.  Salients are not inherently stable... if they're not expanding they want to shrink.  It'd probably be smart for the DCMS to raze New Avalon and then withdraw to a sustainable position.. but pride would probably get in the way of doing that.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #32 on: 13 August 2018, 04:47:17 »
I'd be shocked if the AFFS haven't spoiled the prizes on New Avalon anyway and given the Sun's buying of Stoners demilitrilzation was there much on New Avalon operational anyway?  The Jihad already did plenty damage
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #33 on: 13 August 2018, 06:05:20 »
Corean and Achernar were still producing as best I am aware.

The peerless Vulpes is one example of recent production from there, and
Achernar remained the only facility for the Enforcer III.  There's also the
Corean lines for the Centurion omni, and there's new vehicle production
mentioned for it too in TRO 3145.

I doubt very much we'd have ceased Stuka production at Lycomb Davion
either.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 13 August 2018, 14:08:09 »
So--as far as I know, New Avalon has more than just a few mech lines. We don't know for certain what has been repaired since the Jihad.

Achernar BattleMechs
Locust
Wasp
Osiris
Phoenix Hawk
Enforcer III
Dervish
Argus
Vulpes
Thunderbolt-NAIS

Corean BattleMechs
Fireball
Valkyrie
Centurion Omni
BlackHawk Omni

BattleArmor Lines
Infiltrator Mk II.
Cavalier
Grenadier

Armor Lines
Musketeer
Sortek

AeroSpace Lines
Stuka
Lightning
Hellcat

So is there something I don't know?  I'd say of any single planet, New Avalon is pretty much the top producer of hardware, with Crofton a close second.  GM on Kathil doesn't produce this much to my recollection, does it?

Best,

Mad

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 13 August 2018, 14:19:24 »
So--as far as I know, New Avalon has more than just a few mech lines. We don't know for certain what has been repaired since the Jihad.

TPTB have always been tight lipped about how long production lasts.  Are mechs from a given TRO still in production X years later?  There's really no way to definitively say.  But certainly as far as 'mech factory' worlds go.. no matter how you measure it New Avalon is one of the most important ones in the Inner Sphere.

But another thing we have no way of measuring is how much/little a mech factory relies on off-world imports.  Presumably, Kurita holding New Avalon but few of the surrounding worlds means that the factories on New Avalon are currently being denied at least some of their necessary subcontractor-made components. Also presumably: these lost imports have to be made up for via imports from the Combine via the Dragon's Tongue.. which is a tenuous trip vulnerable to raiding pretty much the entire route.  And every ton of macguffins necessary to keep the New Avalon factories running is one less ton of beans or bullets for the very-surrounded DCMS garrison holding New Avalon.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2018, 14:22:40 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #36 on: 13 August 2018, 14:20:17 »
Thing is . . . is that Obj Raids FS?  Because IMO either the Argus or TBolt NAIS lines likely would have been transitioned to the Vulpes.  Did the Osiris replace the Locust line?  Enforcer III take over from the Dervish?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 13 August 2018, 14:40:55 »
It's a blend of MadCapellans Objective raids (really quite good, IMO), TRO entries, and my memory.

Not 100% sure on Achernar mechs, but fairly sure that at one time, all those mechs were made there.  Feel 100% sure about the lines at Corean.  Although I don't know if the Jihad destroyed any mechlines at either factory.

But between all those mech lines, the battle armor lines, and the Aerospace lines, New Avalon is at least 'indispensable' as far as planets go.  Every month that the Combine is in possession of those lines they can at least add a few mechs to the DCMS and deny them to the FedSuns.

I'm pretty sure most Draconis mechwarriors wouldn't pilot a Valkyrie or an Enforcer, because they are such iconic FedSuns mechs.  I wouldn't be surprised if those factories get demolished. 

But Centurion Omnis, BlackHawk KUs, and Vulpes mechs?  You can bet your bottom dollar those would find welcome homes in the DCMS.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 13 August 2018, 14:56:30 »
Vulpes salvage/capture is fluffed as being especially prized by the DCMS.

However it remains to be seen that they can produce so much as a single Vulpes from the New Avalon factory.  It requires a clan-spec XXL engine, and the FedSuns TRO3145 writeup doesn't say it's produced domestically as opposed to the more probable possibility of being imported from the Foxes.  For Vulpeses to be going into the DCMS, they'll assuredly need Fox cooperation.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 13 August 2018, 15:13:10 »
Vulpes salvage/capture is fluffed as being especially prized by the DCMS.

However it remains to be seen that they can produce so much as a single Vulpes from the New Avalon factory.  It requires a clan-spec XXL engine, and the FedSuns TRO3145 writeup doesn't say it's produced domestically as opposed to the more probable possibility of being imported from the Foxes.  For Vulpeses to be going into the DCMS, they'll assuredly need Fox cooperation.

I didn't think of that--however, wouldn't the Sea Foxes sell to anyone who inquired?  Or do you think the Combine is so anti-clan that they wouldn't ask the Sea Foxes?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 13 August 2018, 15:19:39 »
I didn't think of that--however, wouldn't the Sea Foxes sell to anyone who inquired?  Or do you think the Combine is so anti-clan that they wouldn't ask the Sea Foxes?

Well the Combine has been on good terms with the Foxes in the past (see the allocation of the spoils of the dead Nova Cats) but Aimags in the Combine aren't the same Aimags in the Suns.  The Foxes operating in Davion space are particularly chummy with Julian, so probably unlikely they'll collaborate with the DCMS occupation.  Combine-based Foxes, OTOH, would surely be happy to sell the necessary engines... but then there's the issue of getting the engines to New Avalon.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #41 on: 14 August 2018, 16:34:20 »
In reply to an earlier query/mention of GM Kathil.

It's mentioned that GM Kathil doesn't make so many mechs now, but is
producing a new Marauder the 9D. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #42 on: 14 August 2018, 16:42:52 »
Kathil is important enough that Erik dropped the Drac front to shore up & deter a Cappie thrust at Kathil- it took the top spot in his attention planning while he was still regent.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #43 on: 14 August 2018, 19:46:24 »
Combine-based Foxes, OTOH, would surely be happy to sell the necessary engines... but then there's the issue of getting the engines to New Avalon.
especially if the two Aimags have demarcation agreements preventing the combine ones from operating in the Fedcom.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #44 on: 15 August 2018, 16:39:16 »
Kathil is important enough that Erik dropped the Drac front to shore up & deter a Cappie thrust at Kathil- it took the top spot in his attention planning while he was still regent.

Kathils GM makes the Marauder and Hollander III, not sure about other mechs.  Add in the vehicles lines
and the Invader making Fed Boeing yard, it's one of the most vital worlds left to the FS.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #45 on: 15 August 2018, 16:53:44 »
Yeah, I was not sure totally what was made there since I did not look closely at the FS3145 section . . . is the Destrier or Paladin also made there?  I know one is from lost Victoria.
Colt Ward

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 15 August 2018, 19:51:57 »
The Paladin is made on Kirklin (as well as Victoria), by Kallon; while the Destrier is on Salem by GM

In FS: Jihad Objectives the Kathil GM vehicle line is mentioned as having a decent variety of vehicles (including Challenger and Ajax)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #47 on: 15 August 2018, 21:15:30 »
Yeah, but are those still made by 3145 . . . where is the Hanse made after all.  Course it would suck to go from making a good Omni-tank like the Ajax for a stinker like the Hanse MBT.
Colt Ward

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 15 August 2018, 21:21:08 »
As a Kurita fan I was hoping the hovertanks built on Johnsondale would be feeding the DCMS.  The tanks built there aren't the AFFS's flashiest, but they're surely valuable to have regardless.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #49 on: 16 August 2018, 03:11:11 »
Yeah, but are those still made by 3145 . . . where is the Hanse made after all.  Course it would suck to go from making a good Omni-tank like the Ajax for a stinker like the Hanse MBT.

One thing I'm surprised about in dark age generally that more units are not omni considering the "smaller" armies
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3