Author Topic: Robotech Tactics minis?  (Read 2935 times)

Rick Atlas

• Recruit
Robotech Tactics minis?
« on: 23 March 2018, 12:06:33 »
Does anyone have Robotech Tactics minis?  How do they look if you put them on a board with battletech minis?  Are they approximately the same size?

Palladium, the bunch that makes the Robotech Tactics stuff lost their copyright and has a firesale to get rid of their inventory by the end of the month.  I've been thinking of getting a few if they would look decent with BT minis.
Dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and sickens over 4 billion and kills over 2 million people every year (United Nations World Health Organization, 2008: www.WHO.Int). Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Re: Robotech Tactics minis?
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2018, 12:52:51 »
I wouldn't bother. Scale-wise, they fit fairly well (of course remember that the original scale for BT minis was "They're about the same size, it's all good..."),  but they are obnoxious to put together and aren't worth the effort for what you get. If you buy them, you'll also have to go to RPGNow before the 31st to get the   assembly instructions, as the ones in the box aren't even good for toilet paper.

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2018, 13:18:02 »
I have a set from current pricing...
I intend on using the bits and pieces as rubble / dibris when basing, because they're very well suited for small piece detail.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2018, 13:18:53 »
I'm not quite as negative as the above poster, but ... pretty much yes.

Only the four "destroids" - in our terms Warhammer & Rifleman pack, and Archer & Longbow pack, are well sized. The Valkyries & Glaugs are way too big.

And they are, indeed, a fiddly mess. Two part SRM pack on the Warhammer? WHY???!? (And yes I do know why, and it's sad.)

I'd not try them unless you've assembled plastic airplane or tank kits in the past. Plus seams show after you glue them together.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2018, 13:27:44 »
So the Zentraedi forces are bigger than what can be used.   

The Valks are ok for use as maybe P-hawks but not for the lighter units.

The destroids are perfect though.

That being said,  they are rather difficult to put together for beginners, but I found to be a rewarding experience overall.  Not too mention the large amount of decals you get for one set alone.

I'd recommend a set just for the decals alone.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2018, 14:35:47 »
I did a thread with photos of the assembly of most of the minis step by step a few years ago:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=46898.0;all
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Rick Atlas

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2018, 18:59:31 »
Thanks guys.

I was ready to buy a couple of their box sets for the minis, but this assembly is just too far outside my comfort zone.
Dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and sickens over 4 billion and kills over 2 million people every year (United Nations World Health Organization, 2008: www.WHO.Int). Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2018, 20:03:05 »
Thanks guys.

I was ready to buy a couple of their box sets for the minis, but this assembly is just too far outside my comfort zone.

Yeah, it's a shame, because they do look good once built and painted. Even when they came out they were too fiddly for my tastes, and now that my vision and eye-hand coordination have really started to go downhill, they are far outside of my abilities.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2018, 00:17:04 »
I love building the little Destroids myself. 😁 over the last few years I've bought up all I can find. I've scattered them around my different units, but all together I have 2 lances of each of the 4 types. (so far...)
The best part of the plastics is they are very easy to modify into different variants.
As for the Valkyries, just make custom stats for 65 ton "Super Wasp", "Grand Stinger", and "Valkyrie II".   :thumbsup:

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2018, 01:21:23 »
I would recommend that folks only buy these from the secondary market. ;)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2018, 12:35:36 »
Here's how they look compared to each other.

Rogue Two

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2018, 20:53:04 »
I just purchased the starter set because I found it for $30 which saved me around $70. I only really plan on using the Warhammers, Riflemen, and Marauder for Battletech. Maybe the others will be good for Starfinder proxies but really too big and hard enough to put together that I really don't have much patience to put the rest together anytime soon.

Register