Author Topic: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic  (Read 173123 times)

cawest

• Captain
Re: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic
« Reply #390 on: 18 October 2019, 21:05:23 »
just down loaded a copy... great job

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #391 on: 19 October 2019, 09:51:31 »
Thank you for the conversions!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #392 on: 19 October 2019, 11:31:31 »
Where's the pictures?

It was promised with pictures!!!  :D

TT
 :thumbsup:
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #393 on: 20 October 2019, 13:22:55 »
so the GDL now have a land hold on Hoff.  They will have a BN (?) repair area call it 36 bays.  they also so will have General Circuits and Friden Aerospace park (prototype testing facility?)  looks like Grayson might have an opening to start gray death Technologies a little early and without getting cooked by WoB. 

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #394 on: 20 October 2019, 21:44:04 »
so the GDL now have a land hold on Hoff.  They will have a BN (?) repair area call it 36 bays.  they also so will have General Circuits and Friden Aerospace park (prototype testing facility?)  looks like Grayson might have an opening to start gray death Technologies a little early and without getting cooked by WoB.
Here's the danger: Things that went into motion to create the 3050 timeline ARE GONE. Its a whole unwritten world. Major stepping stones might not occur now. Think about it. What if, the COMSTAR's 1st Circuit is given a clinical version of 3050+, with major censures but with enough INTEL to tell them to STOP all EC operations towards the Homeworlds. No outbound Light = no Go Vote for a 3049 Operation Revival. It might still happen in the next few years after by sheer will... but it wont start in 3049.

The ripples might even be consequential. If two people didn't snuggle on that one night (or lunch break quickie, behind the bowling alley), then you might not get certain kids later on. Maybe a boy instead of a famous girl. Maybe twins?

maybe some instead is still borne and thus never does their part in history later.

My point is, is maybe the reason we have not heard much since June is because he's gotten to that point that it requires him to think about how far does his story really go? and should it?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #395 on: 20 October 2019, 22:33:44 »
I agree with your assessment. Smith's dollop of foresight gave the Federated Commonwealth an unbeatable advantage, but it's an advantage that will become less and less relevant as time marches on. The timeline is already starting to skew in a major way.

There are still two huge unresolved wildcards. The first is ComStar, of course. The second is the Clans. If the Clans arrive early, united, and without all the stupid honor rituals, it won't be pretty, especially if they let their Warships have free reign instead of holding them in reserve. I still think the Fedcom would win in the end due to sheer mass, but yeah... not pretty.

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #397 on: 24 October 2019, 21:29:08 »
There are still two huge unresolved wildcards. The first is ComStar, of course. The second is the Clans. If the Clans arrive early, united, and without all the stupid honor rituals, it won't be pretty, especially if they let their Warships have free reign instead of holding them in reserve. I still think the Fedcom would win in the end due to sheer mass, but yeah... not pretty.

There's a line in one of the sidestories "...in 3053 when the Clans came calling for real" that gives us a clue when the main invasion begins.  It should be interesting to see how Hanse & Friends handle Comstar and prepare for the Clans.

This is definitely one of the best FanFics out there.
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #398 on: 24 October 2019, 22:00:27 »
There's a line in one of the sidestories "...in 3053 when the Clans came calling for real" that gives us a clue when the main invasion begins.  It should be interesting to see how Hanse & Friends handle Comstar and prepare for the Clans.

This is definitely one of the best FanFics out there.
I think its less of how they are handled and more how do they get Comstar, Frederick Steiner and the Real Thomas Marik involved. It's imperative to have 'Focht' be tapped to lead the ComGuards because of what his military skills bring to the table (once you convince him). It's imperative to have Comstar behave (and not have its schism anytime soon) and still make its military assets available eventually. The hardest part is House Marik. History says that Thomas gets the nod from Janos instead of the D-kids and they do the typical thing in rage. How do you prevent that? ALL of that (the assassination attempt, Real Thomas having Robot Jesues into his life, the fake guy being better at the job, etc)?

maybe that's why the story has been idle (besides everything else I've speculated on this subject) ?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #399 on: 24 October 2019, 22:30:48 »
I think its less of how they are handled and more how do they get Comstar, Frederick Steiner and the Real Thomas Marik involved. It's imperative to have 'Focht' be tapped to lead the ComGuards because of what his military skills bring to the table (once you convince him). It's imperative to have Comstar behave (and not have its schism anytime soon) and still make its military assets available eventually. The hardest part is House Marik. History says that Thomas gets the nod from Janos instead of the D-kids and they do the typical thing in rage. How do you prevent that? ALL of that (the assassination attempt, Real Thomas having Robot Jesues into his life, the fake guy being better at the job, etc)?

maybe that's why the story has been idle (besides everything else I've speculated on this subject) ?

Pretty sure by the time the Clans come calling, the FedCom has already taken steps that have seen Freddie remain with them and Comstar being neutered. Hanse, Katrina, and Melissa will have a plan for dealing with the Clans, and they won't need Comstar for that.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #400 on: 24 October 2019, 23:46:55 »
Pretty sure by the time the Clans come calling, the FedCom has already taken steps that have seen Freddie remain with them and Comstar being neutered. Hanse, Katrina, and Melissa will have a plan for dealing with the Clans, and they won't need Comstar for that.

Hmm.  Well - you know, I've been wondering if I should open a new thread about how you'd end this story.

But, yeah, I figure Hanse will come up with some method of convincing Comstar to contribute 'Mechs from their storehouses to keep the DC from collapsing in the '39 war.  And a bunch of other stuff, maybe I'll start that thread.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #401 on: 25 October 2019, 00:38:50 »
As I recall from SB thread, Chris mentioned that Clans will invade in 3052 and it will take full Comstar support to prevent Draconis Combine to completely collapse.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #402 on: 25 October 2019, 11:00:52 »
As I recall from SB thread, Chris mentioned that Clans will invade in 3052 and it will take full Comstar support to prevent Draconis Combine to completely collapse.
But will the insert-character want to prevent it? 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #403 on: 25 October 2019, 11:36:08 »

If I remember that chapter right he was talking about the DC being held up by the remnants of the ComGuard when the clans invaded.

TheBrokenLance

• Private
« Reply #404 on: 25 October 2019, 11:38:33 »

I mean, substituting Clan caste-system for the Draconis caste-system doesn't seem to make anyone's lives particularly better off, and Luthien's factories are a much larger threat to the FedCom if they're retooled to pump out Clan-spec ERPPCs and XL engines.  So no, I bet the SI wouldn't want the DC to just fold and become an early-days Wolf (or Smoke Jaguar or Ghost Bear) Empire.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #405 on: 25 October 2019, 13:06:54 »
Don't forget Christian Kell prevented the leader who could have given the best possible response to the Clans. In Theodore's absence, who becomes Heir to the Dragon?

I'm assuming the Davions will let the Clans blunt themselves on the Combine, before counter-attacking.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #406 on: 25 October 2019, 15:39:09 »
Don't forget Christian Kell prevented the leader who could have given the best possible response to the Clans. In Theodore's absence, who becomes Heir to the Dragon?

I'm assuming the Davions will let the Clans blunt themselves on the Combine, before counter-attacking.

Christian Kell was only a toddler at that point.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #407 on: 25 October 2019, 16:54:58 »
Sorry, Patrick
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #408 on: 25 October 2019, 19:11:38 »
I mean, substituting Clan caste-system for the Draconis caste-system doesn't seem to make anyone's lives particularly better off, and Luthien's factories are a much larger threat to the FedCom if they're retooled to pump out Clan-spec ERPPCs and XL engines.  So no, I bet the SI wouldn't want the DC to just fold and become an early-days Wolf (or Smoke Jaguar or Ghost Bear) Empire.

Considering the Dracs have intentionally kept at least one world a backwater 1800s-era planet [on purpose] just because it was populated by "roundeyes"?

I honestly think the Clan caste-system might be an improvement for the population of the combine.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #409 on: 25 October 2019, 20:12:44 »
Depends on the era of combine, and which flavor of clan.

I'd say a lot of people would be better off under the Ghost Bears than their grandparents were under Takashi's dad, Hohiro I. However, that is a remarkably low bar.

Arimai

• Recruit
« Reply #410 on: 22 November 2019, 02:00:20 »
I just found got recommended this today from a new story at AH.com I had forgotten about this site and my account was deleted for inactivity. I am replying in the hope that it subscribes me to this story.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #411 on: 22 November 2019, 22:18:57 »
Chris posts here and at Spacebattles.  Normally, SB first.  No idea when the next installment will come, he isn't answering.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #412 on: 22 November 2019, 22:19:45 »
Best to stop bothering him then.

Eivind

• Recruit
« Reply #413 on: 10 December 2019, 08:58:04 »
For the benefit of those of you that don't frequent Spacebattles I thought I'd let you know that a new chapter was just posted there: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/this-was-easier-on-the-tabletop-a-battletech-si.659596/page-487#post-63291002

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #414 on: 10 December 2019, 15:52:34 »
So, TLDR version; not dead, just painfully slow coming.

This chapter is complete, but REALLY is part 1/2 because it leads directly into the next one. Hopefully it will be available before Christmas if we have a bit of luck...

Chapter 16: The Battle of New Avalon. Part 2

Even as the explosion from the Kamikaze LAMs slowly dissipated, the Combine formation was moving. The lances in the screening force that had been bird-dogging the defenders took full advantage of the cessation of defensive fire to stop their evasive maneuvering and charge for the breach. Several lances equipped with jump jets went first, simply leaping over the wall and pouring firepower into the beleaguered defenders nearest the wrecked gate. A half dozen blue transponders ringed with yellow or red on my board turned black as the Combine Mechs ruthlessly picked off cripples to clear the gate breach, a move the pragmatic soldier in me honestly couldn’t find fault in ... even as fury spiked as people I knew and even dared to call friends were gunned down without mercy.
Several of those DCMS Mechs were in turn all but flayed open in mid-air by Team Banzai Mechwarriors still on their feet. A bit over half of their Battalion had been outside the blast zone and they were already regrouping to concentrate towards the new threat and cover their damaged lancemates as they brought fire and fury to bear on the Combines Forlorn Hope.

But it was taking time.

Too much time in fact as the rest of the Combine vanguard now dared the flaming wreckage, pushing through the breach fearlessly - a Cicada even tripping over in the rush to get through. The remaining jumpers took the opportunity to return to the sky, bypassing Team Banzai to start tangling with the reserve cadet line that was trying to move up, throwing them into chaos, a confused brawl rapidly unfolding as one side attempted to hold the door open and the other tried to slam it shut.
The defenders had the numbers and tonnage advantage, but the Combine Mechwarriors were both fanatics and didn’t need to actually win. All they needed to do was tie up the defenders - even at the cost of their own lives, because a lot more DCMS Mechs were inbound.

And rolling in hot to see what could be done about all of this…

“Ten and eleven, over the wall and wait for the call. Twelve, stick to my lance - Nine, come over and take over second lance. We’re advancing to phase line India” Hanse shot rapid orders and just like that, my lance ceased to exist as I shifted to form up with the Battlemasters, Jackson Davion’s Archer pounded its way East to take charge of the Centurians on our right and both Jonny and Jimmy's Enforcers looped away from us to do … whatever it was Hanse wanted them to do I suppose, as they leaped over the wall. Leaving me alone on the left flank.

“Twelve little Battlemechs, head to war again” I muttered to myself as our formation shifted around. “Two ran off that way and then there were ten…”
I blinked as I realized what I just muttered and resisted the urge to facepalm only because it would force me to give up my death grip on my two control sticks.
Great, now I’m rhyming like a Jade Falcon most famous for a heroic last stand against overwhelming odds...keep away from those damn negative waves John!

Hanse Davions voice remaining calm and cool however drove such thoughts back, keeping me assured he had a Cunning Plan to deal with the unfolding chaos - although if he did, there was little time to put it into play. Kuritas main formation seemed to already be collapsing in on itself from their original battle lines drawn up facing the wall, the better to start ‘squirting’ lances through the gap I suppose. And as they pulled in together, they made themselves an increasingly hard target to try and take on with a handful of Battlemechs.

If, on the other hand, the damn planet had more than one lousy battalion of field guns to go around that we could focus onto this ****** choke point...

I allowed myself exactly two seconds (as we smashed our way through a line of perfectly inoffensive pine trees) to indulge my frustration before suppressing it, knowing we had to win this battle with the tools we had.
Including the terrain, it would seem as I started to guess at what Hanse was planning.

NAIS was split, by terrain, into the North and South (colloquially called ‘uptown’ and ‘downtown’) zones by a mild elevation difference from a granite ridge the bisected the campus. It had apparently been pure murder to dig into, but the location had been chosen specifically because the ground provided exceptionaly good armour for super-secret-underground-labs, being highly resistant to even strategic ground-burst nukes. That ridge extended well outside the facility more prominently thanks to geo-engineering, expressed here as ‘Phase Line India’. A rocky embankment with a very wide access road running straight into a secondary access gate into NAIS.
If nothing else, the embankment would provide something akin to a Battlemech sized trench for us to fight from. So with more haste than I felt comfortable with -it was stepper than it looked and chicken walkers were not the best for hills- we hit the ten meter incline and clambered up to the top-

“Incoming!”

A series of distinct beeps sounded in my ear as my toso cleared the rise, overlapping the urgent call from Knight Eight. That sound had amused me greatly when I first heard them in training, because it was pretty much identical to the ‘incoming missile’ alarm that went off in Mechwarrior IV.

It wasn’t amusing now, hearing a dozen overlapping each other in rapid succession before I muted them with a flick of my pinkie. Enemy Battlemechs materalized onto my HUD as they stepped out from behind trees and other cover ahead of us like ****** CREEEED! was in charge over there - and I swallowed heavily as they started to be named as big boys, serious platforms with considerable firepower.
Clearly, Kurita had either seen us coming, or, had anticipated someone might be coming and wanted to protect his flank.
Beyond the closest hostiles, I could actually see the massed thermal blobs of the Combine Battlemechs consolidating towards the breach in the NAIS perimeter wall. And from this position, we were ideally placed to start showering said blob with massed volleys of LRMs as while we were still outside effective LRM range against point targets, we were well within LRM strike range if you wanted to just lob masses of missiles at a grid square. Like the one the enemy regiment was crowding into...

Unfortunately, the same rules applied for the enemy LRM units and there were a ****** of missiles in the air heading right for our position - although thankfully only from the closest units, not from the mass behind who seemed to be busily firing over the NAIS wall. Nethertheless our options for dealing with the incoming barrage were limited. Either we charged forward and ducked under them before they got here (which would force us to abandon the only cover we had, surrender our range advantage and risked more Combine Mechs breaking from the main body to pile in), or, we dropped back down the slope to take cover in our wannabe trenchline to engage these units. Which would neatly keep us from interfering while the DCMS charged into the NAIS. Which was also a win for the bad guys.

Either choice seemed poor, but as the only other option would seem to be staying put and soaking up a shower of LRMs-

“Stand fast!” Hanse Davion boomed and my training kicked in automatically as I halted and squatted my Mech into place, my upper torso just visible behind the rise.
Then I realized what I had done (damn you Pavlov).
Committed thus, I could only watch the incoming fire with increasingly clenched teeth as hundreds of bright dots on my thermal scope hung briefly motionless in the pre-dawn sky; an illusion I knew meant they were heading straight for us - and me!
And just to top it off, a new buzzing from my sensor board showed a second group of hostile contacts breaking off from the big happy family, reinforcing the others to make it … 16-10 odds. Great.
I cut my angst off as the missiles tipped and dove at us as their rockets burned out, locking my legs and switching my lower actuators to automatic compensation as I braced for impact, taking a somewhat useless deep breath-

Then the sky …

Well, it blew up.

The LRM barrage and the eternal hatred Kallon Industries held for anything that moved through the air came together in an explosion of fire and my jaw dropped as the LRM barrage was all but shredded before my eyes. Belatedly, I realized that the defensive turrets in the Northern quadrant of NAIS were still very much intact and, against unguided ballistic LRMs...

Always remember I reminded myself firmly as the smoke cleared and my displays reset to show the incoming Combine Battlemechs hesitating and slowing to regroup at the casually contemptuous no-sell of their massive LRM barrage; if the tactics look crazy under this CO, they probably are crazy.

Crazy as a Fox.

“First Lance, lock my target - second lance, overwatch. Smith, with us” Hanse ordered crisply, his Battlemaster stepping up off the slope to get clear lines of sight as I unlocked my legs to pop up from my squatting position - chicken walkers rocked, yo!- swinging my crosshairs onto the designated target. I pauses as my fire control system confirmed the target was in ERPPC range and chewed down its firing solution before flashing gold-

“Shoot!”

Given the lack of evasive bobbing and weaving I would have expected from a veteran Mechwarrior, I suspected the one in this Awesome was either a complete idiot (highly unlikely in this unit), or, more likely, he was unaware that we were playing L2 while he was stuck with intro-tech.
If so, the cat probably got irrecovably out of the bag when nine PPC blasts from at least a third again past maximum even remotely effective PPC range reached out to rather casually ****** him up.

Nine, because my left PPC just barely missed as I misjudged the way the Awesome was rolling in its stride, damnit! Not that it actually mattered much in the end…

For all it’s (well deserved) reputation as a zombie that just kept on going no matter what you did to it, the Awesome had never been designed to stand up to that many simultaneous particle beams. Only the fact that the beams were spread out along its torso probably saved it from simply dying then and there really. As it was, the war machine staggered to a halt in a cloud of vaporized metal and dropped to a knee, steaming coolant pouring from breached heat sinks like blood pouring from mortal wounds.

One of the most feared Battlemechs in 3025 … crippled in a single salvo.

God I felt like such a Clanner right now. Two Stars of us - a Binary!- shooting the crap out of Inner Sphere Mechs with impunity from long range…

I was sure Hanse had been hoping to nail the company commander with that salvo - but if we did I didn’t see any impact on the enemy response as they charged forward, clearly determined to stop us just parking under the anti-missile cover and raking them with extended-range weapons for as long as our heat sinks held out. The pair of Dragons and the Lancelot that had been pacing the Awesome moved together, breaking to gain space for maneuvering but staying close enough to each other for mutual support as they charged. Following them in, the other Mechs on that flank were spreading out to split our firepower while on my side of the battlefield the rest of the force was rushing ‘along the wall’ in two lances and so I focused on them.
My sensors marked the slower designs in the rear as a pair each of Thunderbolts and Crusaders while the vanguard was a lighter lance made of a Trebuchet, Kintaro, a Dervish and a Griffin. All LRM toting designs temporarily stymied of their primary weapon by the defensive firepower covering us. But I knew once they were close enough, they’d switch to direct trajectory shots that the distant AAA turrets wouldn’t be able to engage...and they carried a LOT of ****** missiles-

“First lance, engage at will. Jackson, nail the Dragons!” Hanse issued new orders sharply and fire erupted from our line as dozens upon dozens of rockets launched from Jackson’s unit, the purple whips of particle beams lancing out of Hanse and his group at the same time, scattering explosions downrange.
And with no specific orders - and personally considering it unwise to let the eight Battlemechs running down the wall charge in without taking any fire- I directed my attention (and ERPPCs) at the Griffin that had accelerated ahead of all the other Mechs in the best overconfident Banzai Charge traditions, fired-

And … I missed.

Okay, either this ****** was some kind of newtype Anime physics bullshit Mechwarrior or he was lucky as ******. Because even as I pulled the trigger, the Griffin sidestepped - while spinning his torso - to let the blasts just sail right past him by mere meters.

Hax! I call SUPERHAX!

Then, without missing a step, the enemy Mech spun its torso back and-

My Mech jolted, restraints digging into my shoulders as an electrical discharge crackled along my cockpit window, several of my secondary sensor feeds cutting out for a few seconds as their systems automatically reset from the electrical overload.

Okay … I had just come within a matter of meters of taking a headshot.

Probably only the fact that the shot was at extreme range meant he had ‘missed’ the head and the beam did much less damage than expected...
This did not feel like a game anymore.
Ah; so there’s the balls-clenching terror of impending mortality that had been missing from my life until now-

“Last salvos and back it up!” Hanse ordered briskly, snapping me out of my brief freeze as he discharged his own PPCs one last time, slagging the knee joint of the Lancelot despite its best attempts to evade, causing it to crash spectacularly to the ground as it lost access to bipedal locomotion while at TSM enhanced high speeds. The Centurians on his flank were also smoothly disengaging under modest long-range fire as they fired off a last missile salvo, Jackson dropping back with them onto the slope as he sprayed LRMs downrange - paced by the four Battlemasters - as I forced my attention back to the Griffin ahead of me. I was sure I could get one last shot in as my PPCs cycled to ready and I aimed, fired -
The DCMS Mechwarrior evaded the beam once more with his bullshit Jedi-level precognition, but this time I had accounted for that and he ran smack into the second beam as I staggered my fire a half second apart. I had hoped for a torso shot, but to my surprise (and glee) the beam nailed the front-face of the bazooka-like LRM launcher on the Mechs shoulder. Hopefully, it slagged the launch tubes enough to foul them and put the weapon out of service.
It was a complete fluke of course, but I’d take it as I kicked into reverse, gripping my joysticks tightly as the sickening feeling of a Mech in freefall hit me, if only for a split second before I slammed into the slope and skidded down to the ground, my seat vibrating like mad from the rapid oscillations of the gyro as I leaned forward, my torso scraping the rock as I sort of slid down it. Even the advanced Star-League gear and high-fidelity neurohelmet link was barely able to keep me upright as loud warning sirens ripped into my eardrums.
An idiotic move? Perhaps. Reckless? Certainly.
But, I felt vindicated in my choices as a salvo of autocannon and PPC fire ripped through where my head had just been a second ago.
Steadying on my feet, I spun around as fast as I dared and slammed my throttle forward, hurrying to reform with the rest of the Company who were already in motion, carefully pointing our backs to the enemy as Hanse ordered us to sprint on course 000, best speed ... away from the only useful cover in the area.

Saying it like that makes it sound like a bad idea I thought dryly as I brought my Mech up to its maximum stable offroad speed, leaving the hard ferrocrete behind as we smashed back through the treeline in a way that would probably earn us the eternal hatred of the NAIS School of Botany as I slowly closed the small gap with the others. And as we thundered through the dark, I tried to grasp my way through Hanse Davions plan. Conventional logic says we should have stayed at the phase line and slugged it out; it was the only useful cover in range and even if the enemy were closing, we had tonnage and heat sinks to trade that fire - and plenty of close range fire too - especially if we could get under the minimal LRM range inside which the missiles couldn’t really track at. Instead, we were being pushed away from the main enemy force - and being pushed away onto the open field where the LRM boats chasing us would have a field day - bad pun intended. Glancing around my tactical boards I tried to see if there were friendlies nearby but the only friendlies on the scope out here were Gold Company’s assault tanks, who were already a long way off trundling west under orders to go and provide some hefty firepower in the battle still raging through the light industrial parks of downtown Avalon City.

Thus, as best as I could tell we were going to be caught dead to rights, in the open, by a large number of Missile Boats-

“Alright, that’s enough. Knights; come about, speed sixty, engage on my command. And Twelve, get back in line!” Hanse snapped out a rapid fire series of orders and I almost fell over as I cut my throttle back harshly (while the nine other Mechs ahead flawlessly slowed and spun on their left foot in perfect, parade unison).
I killed the somewhat petulant urge to bite back at my CO and Liege that I wasn’t a frigen elite Mechwarrior able to make my Mech tapdance like him through. Even beside the gross unprofessionalism inherent in doing so, I knew this was not the time to jostle Hanse Davions elbow.
So I swung my Battlemech around as best I could (amusingly my tardiness worked out well as I fell into formation entirely correctly as a result) then I swallowed hard as I saw what we were heading into. The enemy vanguard - eight Mechs total - were just about to hit Phase Line India. We’d be about 500 meters out, without any effective cover then. They could rain LRMs on us from the high ground, out of line of sight, with the lighter units popping up and down to spit for them.
Hanse Davion had, in effect, given the Combine a ‘free hit’ against us. That made no sense at all and, bizarrely, that thought gave me hope. Because if Hanse Davion was doing something that looked to my eyes to be incredibly stupid, it meant he probably had a reaso-

And in an impressive blast of noise and light, my hope was proven well placed.

Rocket packs were one of those ‘duh!’ things I had fast forwarded the reintroduction to. Incredibly simple really - especially as the New Dallas core in fact had a number of technical schematics for such weapons. It had been the work of merely weeks for NAIS to update the designs for the modern era, using infantry one-shot LAW rockets as the base and with that, a new weapon had been born that seemed to be of dubious value at face value.
I mean, rocket launcher pods were, in almost every way, inferior to LRM launchers. The rockets were unguided fin-stabilized projectiles with far less effective range compared to an LRM - let alone an LRMs absolute range against static targets - and each ‘pod’ was a one-shot weapon.

With all that said, there was one attribute which, in their own niche, made up for these shortcomings in spades.

They were ridiculously light and compact compared to almost every other weapon out there against the raw damage they could do.

Seriously, the 10-tube Mech and Vehicle mounted units that had been rushed into select Operational Test and Evaluation units weighed just under half a ton for the launcher and its ammo and was incredibly compact. You might only get one shot of it compared to a reloadable weapon ... but who said you only had to mount one?

Case in point; NAIS had taken a couple of Phantom jet fighters (locally produced knockoffs of the classic ‘Defender’ jet fighter) and played with the designs in an Advanced Refit Lab - the dark place where mad scientists gave way to obsessive engineers and just downright insane test pilots. And after a couple of false starts, an entirely new paradigm had taken shape, with six squadrons of jets from the Crucis March Milita rebuilt over the last few months to give Hanse a new card to play. Each fighter, instead of a couple of LRM and SRM tubes, now carried six, 10-cell rocket packs internally - plus up to another four on wing-mounted hard points that could be dumped after firing.

A hundred rockets at full war load - rockets that could be fired a pod at a time … or, could be flushed in one salvo that would have made Maximillian Jenius toss off a salute in appreciation.

And in their combat debut, they choose the latter option as two flights ripped over our enemies at just over Mach-1 and unleashed everything they had.

I doubted that much damage was done to the units facing us. Four fighters making a pass spraying rockets at everything didn’t drop any Mechs, but it did a spectacularly good job of throwing the enemy into confusion and distraction as hundreds upon hundreds of rockets rained down around and on them like an explosive hailstorm. So much so that by the time the Snakes had started to sort themselves out and looked to reacquire, they found us already crossing under minimum effective LRM range right at their feet-

“Shoot!” Hanse snapped and following word with deed he obliterated his chosen target; one of the two Dragons. It had already taken considerable damage from both earlier sniping and the rockets scattering across it. And even at full strength a Dragon frankly had no damn business taking an Alpha Strike from a Lostech Royal Assault Mech. Between blinks, the machines torso was transformed into something that charitably could be called ‘abstract artwork’ before it crashed to the ground, brewing up quite nicely as unfired munitions cooked off.
The other three Battlemasters followed their Lieges lead with considerable enthusiasm; carving up first a poor Blackjack belatedly looking for more aerial threats instead of what was in front of it, then a second Dragon which had its hips and upper torso separated from each other and finally, a Kilo variant Wolverine. To its credit, the Mechwarrior in the Wolverine managed a defiant snapshot with his large laser that lashed across Hanse Davions torso… a split second before it's cockpit became a crematorium as the PPCs and lasers converged with lethal accuracy.
Then came the price that had to be paid for pressing the Alpha Strike button as all four Battlemasters slewed to a halt; glowing white on my thermal display from the waste heat saturating their cooling circuits radiators. The cockpits had to be saunas right now, but I was sure Hanse and his people were well used to it - and probably happy enough with the results as four hostile contact indicators vanished from my TACMAP.
Even so, I held my fire as I came to a halt on their flank as the temporary fifth member of their lance, watching for any threat trying to take advantage of their temporary incapacity as weapons fire erupted everywhere else in every direction.

Jackson Davion might not have had the sheer power of the Assault Mechs to work with, but that didn’t seem to phase the veteran battalion commander. All five of his Mechs opened by focusing their direct firepower onto the Phoenix Hawk anchoring the Combines flank. A 1K model according to my warbook, the added protection over a stock version didn’t seem to help as withering laser and autocannon fire flayed its torso open and cracked the reactor - but perhaps it let it stay upright just long enough to unleash a vengeful Alpha strike of it own that amputated one of the Centurions legs at the knee.
Even as both Mechs fell Jackson’s Lance shifted fire, sending LRMs in shallow arcs over the ridge to smash into the front of the Trebuchet. Just barely outside minimum LRM tracking range, the lighter missile boat took a hell of a battering but somehow held its ground and returned fire, joined by the Dervish. The return salvo looked quite pathetic in comparison ... but moments later they were joined by far more LRMs that slashed down over the DCMS Mechs to splash on and around the AFFS Mechs in reply.

Clearly the lead mechs were spotting for their big brothers further back … and happily, both the spotters were ignoring me down here.

So much the better I mentally shrugged, starting to bring my gun-arms up - at which point the reason they were ignoring me became quite clear as a PPC blast ripped into my left arm and my good friend, the Griffin, materialized out of the smoke of the missiles crisscrossing the sky, arcing gently towards me off the ridge in a blaze of jump jets.
Conclusion; in about three seconds, those two very solid looking feet would be firmly planting themselves on my ribcage-

I didn’t remember deliberately swinging my arms and flipping the lower arms up so I was holding both of them up in front of my cockpit (a move that had been hammered into me by Morgan over the last couple of months). But, I suppose that was exactly why he had taken the time to force me to repeat the move again and again until I could do it in my sleep. Because my arms were suddenly up without me having to think as I braced my feet-

BANG!

My seventy-five ton Battlemech took the attempted DFA directly to both arms, driving them back into my torso (and just barely missing smashing into my cockpit). My Gyro promptly did its ‘I give up’ alarm that sounded suspiciously like the original NES ‘Mario died!’ chirp and all I could do was hold on for dear life as my Battlemech spun to the ground with an almighty CRASH!, my head bouncing off the side of my ejection seat.

Ouch.

I think I might have actually been out of it for at least four of five seconds because the cacophony of the crash suddenly ended between blinks as I shook my head to try and push through the sharp pain. The world seemed to spin wildly at ninety degrees, making me think I might have a concussion despite the padded neurohelmet … until I realized the Mech was on its side and I was strapped in, now lying parallel to the ground.
Funny thing; as a much younger kid I fondly recalled the Virtual-World pods, for those few glorious years they had been around in Sydney. And how I and my friends were all of the unanimous agreement how much cooler they would be if they were mounted on something that would spin and move them around, letting you feel the Mech stomp and get knocked over and so on.

With some new perspective on that matter, I was confident in saying kid-Smith was full of shit.

Pushing past the disorientation, I sought out the diagnostic board and felt some relief that there was no critical or major damage indicators, just more yellow spots on my armor board. The lower-arm components of the Marauder line were heavily reinforced - hence my using them to shield myself - and it looked like they and their guns were intact. Say what you will about the Star League (and I tended to say a lot even when I shouldn’t) but bloody hell their best toys were built to crazy levels of engineering excellence - something I was admittedly thankful for right now.

“Twelve is okay -  I’m getting up” I called out over over lance channel in case someone was worried about me.
I hoped the lack of any answer was just because Hanse and Jackson were busy and confident I could get off the ground and not because they were dead or something, but that was 20-seconds-in-the-future Smiths problem.
Focusing instead on my situation, I carefully pushed on my Battlemechs right arm, applying steadily increasing pressure like I had been trained, forcing myself to do it right. A creaking and groaning chorus reverberated around me as weight shifted (and a worrying clang suggested something had fallen off) before my Mech moved, rolling forward with a bit of a crash onto my front. Focusing, I pulled my legs into a crouch, flexed the ankle joints, then pushed back ‘briskly but not forcefully’ with my arms as my instructors had taught me.
My Mech hesitated as it tilted back … and then all of the sudden it rolled onto its feet, moving fast enough that I had to ‘lean’ forward at the torso to stop from crashing onto my back. Arms on the ground, I suddenly looked like a giant turtle that had pulled itself into its shell.
And as blood started flowing around my body in the correct way relative to gravity, everything felt much, much better.
Stable, I slapped the big yellow button to my right and with a clunk followed by a low screaming, the Battlemechs gyro unlocked and started its spin-up cycle - without any grinding or alarms going off, to my great relief. Veteran Mechwarriors may be skilled enough to spin up the Gyro and stand in a single smooth motion, but I knew my limits - and that here and now was not a good time to push them-

“Smith, on your Seven!” Hanse Davions voice sharply cut into my thoughts and I immediately cursed 20-seconds-in-the-past Smiths decision to take it slow, bringing my holographic HUD back online which showed me…

On the plus side, the Griffin looked like it had landed brutally. Unsurprising that; a ‘failed’ DFA attack tended to end up badly for the Mechwarrior attempting it - as my trainers back on Sark had needed to beat into the heads of some of the more ‘yahoo’ cadets after simulations. This cocky bastards flying kick deal had ended worse, seemingly deflecting off me to smash into the ferrocrete face first with a lot more momentum to deal with.
Yet even as I watched in growing alarm, the thing was just now getting back to its feet, like some kind of ****** final video game boss you thought you had killed that came back twice as pissed…

Heh. Peter ‘Griffin’ verses the Giant ‘Chicken’ - Walker. That was hilarious-

Then it actually struck me, for reals, that I was actually in genuine mortal ****** danger, with a fanatic Kuritan was in my rear arc.

“Shit”.
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #415 on: 10 December 2019, 15:52:50 »
Profanity done, my eyes raced across my controls, knowing it would be at least ten or fifteen seconds until I could move - and a side glance at a bunch of Battlemasters on fire suggested Hanse had his own problems to deal with. Crouched like this, I couldn’t twist my torso to bring my arm mounted weapons into play - I was a sitting duck!
At least its PPC was sparking in a very unhealthy way and the LRM racks tubes looked fouled enough that firing them would be a very stupid idea … but its its battlefist was perfectly intact and its ‘fingers’ were flexing ominously as it stomped towards me with an unstable gait that told me its Gyro was damaged ... but not enough to keep it from moving over to punch through the back of my Mech and rip out that expensive bits inside.
Or me.
I eyed my ejection controls for a moment before beyond them seeing one of my weapons status readouts and a lightbulb went off over my head. Immediately, my thumb snapped a hitherto unused hat switch down two settings down on my right control stick and I slapped the stick right, a purple crosshair on my compressed HUD moving around rapidly from my front arc to the rear.

Pulse laser technology, as the name rather implied, unleashed its energy in a rapid series of pulses rather than a beam - although to the naked eye it certainly looked like a single -albeit flickering- beam. It gave better damage output, mostly because each pulse gave a brief window for the laser optics to refocus and adjust to ensure a very tight spread of damage rather than the ‘slashing’ across armor that tended to let armor diffuse and waste a decent amount of a conventional lasers power. The refocusing also gave better accuracy, letting the weapon compensate (to a degree) for both target movement and platform drift to mark a precise point and rip through the armor much better than a normal laser.

However that accuracy came at a price. Laser technology it seemed could be calibrated for static range focus, or, with the use of sophisticated adaptive optics, to refocus with lightning speed … at a much shorter maximum range.
Well, unless of course you were a Clanner. ****** munchkin bullshit Clantech...
Anyway. The idea I was about to put to the ultimate test had come -with many others- from one internet Battletech thread or another and had required some fancy coding work from Team Banzai that had worked great in theory, but never tested in practice. My Battlemechs HUD helpfully overlaid a wireframe schematic on the Griffin as my gun came into line, bright splotches of ‘blue’ inside the red wireframe showing where a GRF-1N’s ‘vital organs’ were, as it was. And as my crosshair settled on top of the Griffins Gyro where armour had been torn away; I squeezed the trigger. And prayed.

I called it the ‘LBx/Laser’ - Patent Pending - even though Tommy Lester had continually protested the name given there were no actual ballistics involved. But then as he had rejected ‘Laser Shotgun’ as well? Honestly, there was just no pleasing some people!
In any event, instead of focusing the pulses on the same point , the cannon sprayed a more rapid cluster of five lower powered pulses within a one-meter radius circle of my aim point where the armor plates had already been torn away...

And I hit paydirt.

The Griffin stumbled as its Gyro tore itself to pieces, the war machine crashing forward onto its arms with black smoke pouring from its chest, landing heavily … then, to my sheer astonishment and mild awe, after a beat the crazy bastard Mechwarrior started to try and crawl towards me on his hands and knees!
Maybe I shouldn’t have made that Family Guy Chicken Fight pun I thought in shock, but then with a beep my own Gyro finally signaled it was ready and I leapt to my feet and floored it, barely dodging its left hand as it reached out to try and grab my ankle!

Feeling slightly bewildered at the Combine Mechwarriors seemingly suicidal determination to come to grips with me I moved off, looking for something else to shoot even as the Griffin gave up the pointless chases down shut down.

Happily, two volunteers immediately presented themselves.

The Trebuchet was down - but it had been replaced by two beefier Thunderbolts who had more than picked up the slack in firepower (but were certainly taking an impressive amount right back in their faces from Jackson Davions group, both sides being in range of all their weapons and just engaging in an all out slugging match). That left just the Dervish and Kintaro backstopped by the two Crusaders - but one of the Crusaders was presently fighting for its life against Jonny and Jimmy who had apparently come back over the wall in an attempted backstab, while the other was splitting its attention, throwing LRMs out with the Thunderbolts while volleying its SRMs down at four Lostech Assault Mechs.

On paper, it was an absurd mismatch. Unfortunately, it seemed the Combine had set the paper on fire by throwing a double metric ******[/i] of inferno rounds at it.

Even Freezers had to obey the laws of physics and if their radiators were ****** up by the ‘Hell-Gel’, the heavily energy dependent ‘flashbulb’ Mechs were stuck trying to vent the earlier heat from their alpha strikes. And with the Combine Mechs running through their SRM magazines as fast as they could reload their tubes and damn their heat sinks...
The Prince's Bodyguards had shifted their formation to try and shield Hanse, but in doing so they had given the game away for which Mech was the most important and the Combine had reacted at once. The Dervish and Kintaro, despite how overheated I could see they were getting on my thermal scope, were trying to edge around the formation counter-clockwise while the Crusader provided cover fire (while occasionally throwing some more LRMs at Jackson Davion), clearly trying for an angle on Hanse directly. All three Mechs ignoring the sporadic medium laser fire raking them back in return even as it steadily added up.

Happily, not one of the trio had seemed to notice my Mech getting back to my feet.

Warning klaxons went off and my heat indicators snapped straight from the green zone into the yellow zone as I discharged my weapons at less than a hundred meters range into the side-rear torso of the Dervish.
Perhaps it had seen me and simply dismissed me in the fog of war as a standard Marauder? Inside minimum PPC range, the MAD-3R would arguably be a threat that could be ignored for a time in favor of doing as much damage as possible to the Assault Mechs while they were incapacitated.
If so however, I’m going to guess the Mechwarrior deeply regretted his decision when both my ERPPCs and four medium lasers slashed in on his already damaged side with the kind of hideous focus my more advanced fire control made possible.

There was an old joke back on Spacebattles design threads that CASE wasn’t about saving the Mechwarrior; that was just a bonus! The real benefit was about saving as much of the precious precious Battlemech as possible for when the salvage teams came looking.

Or as Gunther ‘Deadeye’ had put it in Mech 2: Mercs; ‘kill the meat; save the metal!’.

I saw first hand now just how horrifyingly that played out at point blank range as my salvo, barely slowed by the armour, cored straight into tons worth of unfired munitions. And without CASE technology to try and direct the force of the explosion out pre-weakened structural panels, the reinforced outer shell became its own worst enemy as it instead channeled the eruption into the interior of the Mech. Chaining between blinks with other ammo bins until finally it became too much and the Mech was torn to pieces under the force of several tons of ammunition going up, sending chunks of torso and limbs (and probably half vaporised Combine Mechwarrior) to batter me with terrific force, staggering me backwards.

It was a valuable lesson about staying a safe distance from ‘ammo bombs’ when they went off. Even more so because, as it so happened, the blast and impacts also did a very good job of hiding the fact that other, rather more dangerous things were hitting me from a different angle until Betty cut in to yell at me.

“Warning; armor depletion. Left torso, left arm” she called as the aforementioned sections on the display strobed orange and red as I belatedly realized I was being fired upon! Snarling, I wrenched my now somewhat sluggish Battlemech around to face the direction the attack had come from, walking myself out of the line in the process and causing a clutch of SRMs to rip right past my cockpit, close enough to see any  ‘Made proudly on Luthien’ stickers that may have existed as I tried to track the enemy through the smoke. It took precious seconds with my thermals and visuals both screwed from the explosion though and by the time I flipped over to MAGRES, the Kintaro had closed the distance.

Sprinting right at me-

“Oh for ******-” I spat out as I snapped my right ‘wrist’ across and spun my torso desperately, my Mech still too sluggish to try anything but the backhand strike as I desperately tried to set my feet-

Crunch - BANG!

Annnnnd with that, there was that horrible freefall feeling followed by what felt like a Highlander crashing on my ribs … and I was down on the ground. Again.

The wind was knocked right out of me this time and I gasped for air in pain as my head throbbed - but I had no time to waste. I pushed my ‘Mech around as fast as I dared, with groaning and squealing noises suggesting my primary structural framework was starting to get rather annoyed at the treatment it was receiving but I ignored it, pushing off and silently pleading with it to hold together.
Thankfully the damn thing did as I fell onto my front and arms for the second time this morning with a cough forced from my lungs at the move. The Gyro hadn't needed to spin to zero from this impact, so I hurriedly worked through the motions to push to my feet and stand, checking my heat readout and saw it was quickly dropping down (God I loved Freezers!) before searching for the Kintaro-

Ah, there it was. On the ground. With a Battlemaster (now only smoking, not burning; a significant improvement!) looming over it with one foot firmly on its chest … and a PPC aimed at its cockpit. Oh, and both the PPCs muzzle and the Kintaros cockpit were smoking and the Battlemech was not showing as an active threat anymore on my HUD.
The First Princes bodyguards, handpicked Mechwarriors from the Brigade of Guards, did not ****** around with his saftey.

Mentally ticking off the Kintaro from my threat list, movement from above caught my attention as the Crusader that had been supporting the light Mechs raised its arms, clearly wanting to get off one last salvo as it started to back away from the edge - and it was with no small surge of terror that I realized it was aiming all of its considerable guns right at me-

Then … well, its head suddenly blew up rather violently. And unexpectedly.

Decapitated, the Crusader toppled like an ancient pine tree sliced by a lumberjack, crashing over the edge of the rise it had been standing on and falling towards us. Rolling, sliding and tumbling down with a crashing cacophony audible even inside my heavily soundproofed cockpit, it finally skewed to a halt at the feet of the lance of Battlemasters it had helped set on fire, unmoving. Even after Knight Three stepped up and kicked it a couple of times to make sure.

Then, with a thud I felt through my Battlemechs feet, a hundred tons of heavily modified Mackie-9H crashed to the ground right where the Crusader had been standing in a flare of strap-on jump packs, its massive right gun-arm still smoking.
Very few Mechwarriors would be crazy enough to fire a 180mm autocannon while in mid-air, seconds from landing on jump packs. And of that rather select group, few would be able to not simply land the shot, but nail the back of an enemies head from above like that.

Luckily, Morgan Hasek-Davion was both that ****** crazy and that ****** good. Thank God.

More and more Battlemechs fell from the sky as the 1st Battalion of the Davion Honor Guard dropped into battle. Morgan was clearly doing the ‘Davion Thing’ and leading from the front (like we didn’t have enough of those idiots here already!) but his people were following close behind. Sheets of laser fire from them ripped mercilessly into the two Combine Battlemechs still standing (looks like Jonny and Jimmy had already polished off their Crusader without any trouble) and tore them to pieces with neither mercy nor hesitation, but not before the Thunderbolts got off a final spiteful salvo off as they went down that snapped the left leg of Jackson Davions Archer and sent him spinning into the ground.

I involuntarily inhaled sharply as it went down and did not move … but relaxed moments later as a profane tirade on my Lance channel assured me he was very much alive.
Sounding both pissed off and embarrassed (and probably terrified of what his mother would do to him when she saw what had happened to her prized Battlemech), but alive nonetheless…

And I’m sure his mother would forgive him the mess made of her Mech, given that she wouldn’t be burying yet another son who had given his life in the service of his Prince.

“Morgan - nicely done” Hanse complimented his nephew, the Battlemaster stomping up the slope as the Davion Guards formed up smoothly into first lances, then companies as they fanned out and secured the immediate area, checking on downed Mechs. “Knights, regroup and call your status, reverse order - that means you first Smith”.

“Twelve” I obeyed after a glance at my status display, ignoring both the hand holding from the First Prince and the way I was shivering slightly, my hands shaking slightly on the tightly held controls. Damn cooling vest was overdoing things it seemed, despite how stuffy my cockpit felt. “Heat nominal, no internal damage. Moderate armour depletion in some areas, all weapons operational.”
Jonny and Jimmy seemed to have taken very little damage at all - but had burned through all of their autocannon ammo while Jackson sounded more than a little miffed at having to report ‘immobilised and combat incapable’ as he climbed out of his Mech. Two of the Centurions were down, the other two mostly untouched and running half ammo. And aside from a badly scorched paint job and a few antennas and external fittings burned off, the Prince and his bodyguards hadn’t taken much more than some mild armor damage and were ready (even eager I’d say) to get on with the fight.

With nothing else to do as Hanse switched frequencies to talk with Yvonne Davion, I decided I might as well make use of all my Battlemechs impressive command systems to get a ‘big picture’ view of the battle, realizing I had become so focused on this fight I had lost track of the ‘big picture’.
Yet again, proof of why command Battlemechs and commanders being on the front line was a frigen stupid idea-

Then any feelings of relief that I had managed to survive this battle vanished in a second as my displays refreshed.

Hordes of red DCMS Mech indicators were already well past the breach and spreading out across the map of the southern part of the NAIS. And as I looked up in shock, building after building was already exploding into fire.
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #416 on: 10 December 2019, 17:47:06 »
How much do you want to bet that Jackson Davion is gonna hop in sombody's back-seat?  Maybe, say, a command battlemech with a cadet driving it?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #417 on: 10 December 2019, 21:23:22 »
good to see you back... and a great update.  to bad Smith could use a few insults to get some of the DC mechs to come looking for him.  nice way to draw a few mechs into a trap. 

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #418 on: 10 December 2019, 21:55:08 »
Welcome back.  Another great chapter.  :thumbsup:

Kwic

• Sergeant
« Reply #419 on: 11 December 2019, 08:48:00 »
Santa Chris does think We’ve been good this year!!!

Thank Chris, I always enjoy your work.

It’s nice to see our hero not getting too much author fiat and having a realistic time of it.  And the overview of the villain being smart about his goals and using surprisingly good strategy.