Author Topic: Aleksandr Kerensky  (Read 8094 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Aleksandr Kerensky
« Reply #60 on: 21 April 2020, 18:31:26 »
I'm not sure if this was noted above, but, its something to consider.

1.  A lot of the TH reconstruction was done while there was still a Star League, they hadn't disbanded it yet, & had resources & $$ coming in from the houses as part of the SL trade laws & as aid packages.

2.  Once it was official that the SL was gone & the TH was then looking at either paying for the entire SLDF itself &/or having to now create New trade agreements with the houses, at likely unfavorable terms.  It gets a lot harder to "be the TH".   One of the biggest advantages of the SL for the TH was all those raw materials pouring into worlds that had already been mined for centuries.  What the TH had to offer was all the factories & scientists & quite a bit of that had already been damaged.

3.  He had spent years trying to get them to reconsider & keep the SL going.  In that time, soldiers retired, units got hired as mercs or defected to houses, etc etc.
Once you see your #'s advantage getting smaller & your tech leaking out to the houses which is your advantage to get there raw materials, things get a little iffy economically.

I don't agree with his decision but I sort of see where it was coming from.

Funny thing is, I've often thought that for the survival of the TH, one of the agressive things he could have done was take a big chunk of the DC for raw materials while leaving the FWL & CC to still deal w/ hostile FC nations that are semi friendly to the TH.
Had the TH ripped open 1/2 the DC they would have made the FC nations happy & negotiated a proper treaty with the 2 of them leaving the DC w/o any 1SW, attack both sides, ideas.

You'd end up with something like what Hanse was hoping the Wo39 would achieve in size but be 3 allies instead of 1 united nation.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #61 on: 21 April 2020, 18:33:36 »
We don’t really know.  It could be that existing industrial output was secretly diverted to the Hidden Army.  It could be that the Hidden Army had hidden production capacity.  Some of equipment may even have come from piracy.  Maybe all three.

Amaris was born in 2717, took the throne of the Rim Worlds circa 2740, and began subverting Richard C in 2053.  So depending on exactly when Amaris conceived and put his plans into motion, he had at least a decade and up to a quarter century to assemble his Hidden Army before the New Vandenberg Uprising in 2765.
It doesn't actually depend upon him, his family could have been working on this far earlier.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Manchu

• Master Sergeant
  • MALVINA FOREVER
« Reply #62 on: 21 April 2020, 18:59:18 »
That seems unlikely. As a general point, Amaris rule over the RWR emphasized loyalty to the TH/SL. More specifically, RWR military build up along the LC border was a major tension point in the mid 27th century; it’s the sort of thing folks would have been looking out for.

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #63 on: 21 April 2020, 20:15:29 »
Wasn't Kwanjong-ni's factory at least implied to be used for the Hidden Army before Defiance found it and rebuilt it for the Lyrans?
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #64 on: 21 April 2020, 22:22:38 »
Wasn't Kwanjong-ni's factory at least implied to be used for the Hidden Army before Defiance found it and rebuilt it for the Lyrans?

Kwangjong-ni had a secret underwater mech factory that exceeded limits on mech production imposed on the Rim Worlds at the conclusion of the Reunification War.  When rumors leaked, the SLDF investigated but never found the factory.  There’s no direct link to the Hidden Army, but it makes sense as a possible source.

There are references to other Rim Worlds manufacturers, like Diplass Technologies, getting around limits on mech production by misportraying the nature of their facilities (e.g., mech refit instead of production) and possibly having unknown factories.  Again, makes sense as a possible source for the Hidden Army, but there is no direct link.

It’s entirely possible that sources like Kwangjong-ni and Diplass only supported the buildup of the Rim Worlds Republic Army prior to Operation Apotheosis and never supplied the Hidden Army.  Secret factories located on the other side of the Periphery may have supplied the Hidden Army instead.  To my knowledge, we just don’t know.

The Hidden Army was 50 mech divisions strong, which is 150 mech regiments.  Assuming 108 mechs per regiment, that’s over 16,000 mechs.  It would have required 450 Overlord dropships (or the equivalent) and 150 Invader jumpships (or the equivalent) to deploy that force.  And that says nothing of the materials, labor force, facilities, and sheer gobs of money involved.  Regardless of where all that came from, it’s hard to believe that SLDF intelligence never had an inkling that, to quote Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, something strange was afoot at the Circle-K.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 21 April 2020, 23:22:51 »
 As long as they are not SLDF style Mech Divisions. If so, that is 36,000 Battlemechs in 50 Divisions.

SLDF Battlemech Division is 720 Battlemech's. Just saying.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #66 on: 22 April 2020, 20:31:40 »
As long as they are not SLDF style Mech Divisions. If so, that is 36,000 Battlemechs in 50 Divisions.

SLDF Battlemech Division is 720 Battlemech's. Just saying.

You’re right.  I forgot about brigades and jumped straight from regiments to divisions.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 22 April 2020, 21:47:50 »
 But I can see the Secret Army fielding a Division that is more in line with a SLDF Mech Infantry Division. More Infantry based, but that is still 6 Regiments of Infantry, 12 Battalions of Mechs, 3 Regiments of Armor. Lots of transports, but this is Star League era when they cranked out Jumpships and Dropships like Ford and Chevy do today (or before Covid)

Register