Author Topic: Stefan Amaris  (Read 1966 times)

Manchu

• Master Sergeant
  • MALVINA FOREVER
Stefan Amaris
« on: 14 April 2020, 22:26:33 »
Deceiver. Usurper. Murderer. Tyrant. Madman.

Stefan Amaris is credited above all other figures with the fall of humanity’s golden age. And why?

He supposedly imagined House Cameron had insulted his family. The notion of a personal grudge ultimately consigning mankind to untold suffering and death is incredible to say the least. There must be a better explanation.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
Re: Stefan Amaris
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2020, 00:19:36 »
Leaders being driven by their personal grudges and phobias is nothing new.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2020, 00:30:21 »

I’d argue that Amaris was principally a megalomaniac.  His takeover of the Terran Hegemony was called Operation Apotheosis.  One definition of apotheosis is the elevation of a mortal to divine status.  Doesn’t get much more megalomaniacal than that.  Everything else — the deception, usurption, murder, tyranny, madness, and sheer amorality — flowed from that megalomania.

No doubt the Camerons mistreated the Amarises.  But it was also a long time ago.  It was an excuse, not the reason, for Amaris’s actions.

One mitigating factor about Amaris is that he never intended to bring about the fall of the Star League.  Although he set in motion the events, it was the High Council that was ultimately responsible for dissolving the Star League.  In the final analysis, that cannot be laid at Amaris’s feet.

Had he not been a megalomaniacal head of state, Amaris could have gone down as the ultimate intelligence agent or head of intelligence.  From puppeteering a First Lord to raising a 50-division army in complete secrecy to engineering his relatively bloodless and wildly successful coup of the Terran Hegemony, no spymaster or covert agent in BT history has achieved what Amaris did.  He makes even famed spies like Justin Allard and devious leaders like Hanse Davion look like pikers.  Not only would Amaris have outfoxed The Fox, he would have run circles around him.

You don’t have to like Amaris to admire his moxie, cunning, and sheer determination.  There’s been no one better than Amaris at what Amaris was best at.  Not by a long shot.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2020, 00:39:00 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2020, 04:37:14 »
You don’t have to like Amaris to admire his moxie, cunning, and sheer determination.  There’s been no one better than Amaris at what Amaris was best at.  Not by a long shot.

Oh certainly, I have been a fan of the Terran Hegemony since the late 80s early 90s and I am NOT a fan of Amaris at all, but I agree you have to admire his attempt and the fact he pulled it off.

That said, the man either was insane to begin with or became insane under the pressure of ruling the Hegemony (remember, he never really ruled the Star League as the House Lords basically ignored him. Whether he felt he was writing wrongs to his family, and to be honest I am not sure where or when those wrongs were committed, I have not read anything that says the Camerons insulted his family other than sending them to the Republic in the first place, or whether he did it because he thought he would make an excellent First Lord, but megalomaniac does not even begin to cover it. He entered true evil territory when he shot Richard. He passed beyond monstrous when he killed the rest of the Camerons, and what he did to the people of the Hegemony was unthinkable.

Manchu

• Master Sergeant
  • MALVINA FOREVER
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2020, 08:21:46 »
Rather than focus on the individual, let us think about the wider context.

We can divide human civilization into the Inner Sphere and the Periphery. The Inner Sphere wants to control the Periphery and the Periphery wants to self-determine. A similar center/margin tension had been at play within the Inner Sphere up through the 2560s, with the Terran Hegemony seeking to politically dominate the Spheroid States and the latter emphasizing their sovereignty. By the late 2560s, this tension in the Inner Sphere stabilized when the Spheroid States agreed to participate in a balance of power against one another hosted by the Terran Hegemony; hence, the Star League. Under the banner of the Star League, the Terran Hegemony unilaterally articulated a right to authority over all humanity throughout the galaxy via the Pollux Proclamation of 2575. By 2596, the allied militaries of the Inner Sphere had forcibly subjugated the Periphery, incorporating at gunpoint four erstwhile sovereign nations into the Star League as the Territorial States.

Whereas the Spheroid States conceived of themselves as sovereigns participating in the Star League as a matter of consent, the Territorial States consisted of conquered subjects whose consent was legally immaterial. This represented an inconsistency in the constitutional logic of the Star League: why would the Star League require the consent of some members but not others? Was there really a legal distinction to be made of the difference between being marginal to the Terran Hegemony (i.e., being a Spheroid State) and being marginal to the Inner Sphere (i.e., being a Territorial State)? Or was this purely a matter of might making right? if so, the supposed sovereignty of the Spheroid States was also compromised, even despite that protecting their sovereignty was the very basis of their participation.

The Star League thus served both to stabilize as well as to aggravate the fundamental center/margin tensions of galactic civilization. And this precarious dynamic found its most strained expression in the Rim Worlds Republic. Uniquely among the nations of the Periphery, the Republic embraced domination by the Star League; or rather its First Consul did. Even before the Pollux Proclamation, the Republic functioned as a protectorate of the Terran Hegemony, probably because it was ruled by the Amaris family, who, in turn, were originally Hegemony officials. The Amaris family were thus not only outsiders in the very nation they governed but also represented the (foreign) centralizing will to dominate the marginal nation. Case in point, First Consul Gregory Amaris leveraged optical loyalty to the Hegemony/Star League to bolster his own rule of the Republic. He was overthrown only four months after the Pollux Proclamation.

Star League allowed the resulting provisional government to rule the Republic for 21 years. Only four years after finally being restored to power, Gregory was assassinated as part of a military coup that installed his son Richard as a figure head (and hostage). Again, Star League failed to intervene, leaving Richard to stage his own reverse-coup five years later to reconsolidate effective control over the Republic by House Amaris. Because these 30 years of political turmoil never amounted to a formal objection to the its de jure authority over the Republic, Star League was inclined to turn a blind eye. This apparent abandonment is the the basis for grudge against House Cameron supposedly harbored by House Amaris. But by the time Stefan Amaris became president of the Republic, House Amaris rule of the Republic had not been challenged for over 130 years. The period between 2599 and 2604 may have taught House Amaris not to rely on Star League rescuing it from localized resistance. But the larger lesson seemed to be that Amaris rule was nonetheless aligned with the center claiming authority over the margin.

>TBC<
« Last Edit: 15 April 2020, 10:53:49 by Manchu »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2020, 06:46:25 »
It was an inherited grudge dating back to the Reunification War. Amaris declared loyalty to the Star League and received no help from them. He saw it as the Camerons betraying his loyalty. And then it continued in the next generation. I'm sure the stories and emotions grew with each retelling to the next generation.

Manchu

• Master Sergeant
  • MALVINA FOREVER
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2020, 13:29:13 »
The center/margin tension resolves into (at least) three perspectives, which I will call federalist, unionist, and imperialist. The federalist view understands the Star League to be an intergovernmental organization arising from and existentially conditional on a multilateral alliance among sovereign nations. The unionist view also sees it as an intergovernmental institution but emphasizes that Star League exercises its own sovereignty, which emerges from authority delegated to it by member states in exchange for their ability to participate. The imperialist view de-emphasizes (and ultimately disregards) sovereignty and views its members as territorial jurisdictions to be administrated, if in practice rather loosely, by reference to central authority. Broadly, the House Lords take the federalist view, House Cameron (and Aleksandr Kerensky) takes the unionist view, and House Amaris and eventually Richard II take the imperialist view.

With this in mind, some conceptions of Stefan Amaris can be dismissed. First, the notion that Stefan represents backlash against the Star League wars of conquest in the Periphery is obviously false. House Amaris never disputed Star League authority over the Rim Worlds Republic and indeed justified its own regime by reference back to its service to the Terran Hegemony; a line of reasoning totally in harmony with the logic of the Pollux Proclamation and ancient Terra-centric thinking. Stefan was certainly no freedom fighter for the rights of Periphery states. Second, the personal grudge myth has no real explanatory power because it is irrelevant to the political stakes facing Stefan. The long-term consequence of the Star League belatedly restoring the great-great-great-great grandfather of Stefan was the legitimization of House Amaris, which served it extremely well right up through the reign of Stefan.

So what did motivate Stefan? The hagiographical answer is something like unbridled ambition and/or psychosis. But again speculation about his individual character (or mental health) will not take us any farther than the prejudices we start with. Stefan existed in a political context, where certain courses of action were not only possible but also, from his perspective, necessary.

To begin with the possible: his long absence from the Republic as Stefan maneuvered in the Terran court is remarkable yet never really addressed from the perspective of why he could afford it. Put simply, his reign was secure. The Republic was in economic and political good order, as later evinced by its frankly amazing capacity for military production and its faithful resistance to invasion by Kerensky. The Republic was in fact the unique realization of the Cameron vision for the Periphery: civilized, prosperous, and most importantly integrated into the order of the Inner Sphere. Which takes us into the realm of the necessary: the vision of Ian Camerom had failed to materialize anywhere else, sowing an inevitable crisis.

>TBC<
« Last Edit: 20 April 2020, 22:32:00 by Manchu »

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2020, 17:31:25 »
I try not to look too closely at Battletech villain personalities and motivations...unfortunately under scrutiny the comic book nature of thier villainy ruins any sense of gravitas or menace they might have carried in the history of the setting for me. Once you dig deeper, pretty much every Battletech antagonist's motivation can be summed up with; "You dare to refuse my batchall?!?!"
I love the overall living history of the Battletech setting in a grand scale, but on closer examination, e.i. the interpersonal level, I find it has far more in common with a Telemundo soap opera than with The Risee and Fall of the Roman Empire.  ;)
Where Amaris is concerned, the Cameron's should never have let him get into that position on Earth in the first place. I mean, seriously, did they somehow NOT see his mustache??? He practically  telegraphed his intentions!

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2020, 12:47:39 »
Have you not met people who deeply hold national/historical grudges?  It's such a common thing, even among those of us with absolutely no power and little connection to whatever happened in the past.  Multiply it by 100 if you think you would've been the sovereign ruler of a nation if not for the events behind that grudge.