Author Topic: Corvus CVS-1A  (Read 155 times)

Retry

• Lieutenant
Corvus CVS-1A
« on: 23 March 2024, 11:25:29 »
Code: [Select]
Corvus CVS-1A
Mass: 50 tons
Chassis: Standard Biped
Power Plant: 200 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 43.2 kph
Maximum Speed: 64.8 kph
Jump Jets: Standard
     Jump Capacity: 120 meters
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     2 Medium Laser
     1 Thumper
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 2700
Tech Rating/Availability: E/E-F-E-D
Cost: 3,496,000 C-bills
Type: Corvus
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Tonnage: 50
Battle Value: 855
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 5
Engine 200 Fusion 8.5
     Walking MP: 4
     Running MP: 6
     Jumping MP: 4
Heat Sink: 10 0
Gyro: 2
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 152 9.5
Internal
Structure Armor
Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 16 21
Center Torso (rear) 10
R/L Torso 12 15
R/L Torso (rear) 5
R/L Arm 8 15
R/L Leg 12 21
Weapons
and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
2 Jump Jet LL 2 1
2 Heat Sink CT 2 2
Medium Laser RT 1 1
Thumper Ammo (40) RT 2 2
Thumper RT 15 15
Cluster Thumper Ammo (20) RT 1 1
Medium Laser LT 1 1
2 Jump Jet RL 2 1
Problem: There are no (good) Thumper-based Artillery 'Mechs in the Battletech universe.

Solution: Make one.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
Re: Corvus CVS-1A
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2024, 12:28:49 »
At the moment, I'm enamored of VTOL artillery (like this).  That's about 1/3 the price and moves 7/11.  It's obviously much less survivable in direct fire combat, but for indirect fire and the ability to escape overrun it seems pretty good.  Is direct fire usage worth tripling the cost?... maybe.  Direct fire artillery certainly counters some units (infantry, speedsters, airborne) pretty hard. 

A few other thoughts:
(a) I'm not sure the jump is worthwhile on an artillery unit.  Jump + direct fire penalty puts you at an 11 to hit on a base of 4.  That's a harsh diet.
(b) 4/6 seems a bit slow.  5/8 would let you avoid overrun from heavies.  That costs 4 tons though which is tricky to free up.
(c) A Sniper fits nicely on an assault mech.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2024, 12:35:26 »
The jump jets are for getting you to places infantry have a hard time reaching.  At least that was my theory for my Arturion... ;)

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2024, 00:00:44 »
At the moment, I'm enamored of VTOL artillery (like this).  That's about 1/3 the price and moves 7/11.  It's obviously much less survivable in direct fire combat, but for indirect fire and the ability to escape overrun it seems pretty good.  Is direct fire usage worth tripling the cost?... maybe.  Direct fire artillery certainly counters some units (infantry, speedsters, airborne) pretty hard. 

A few other thoughts:
(a) I'm not sure the jump is worthwhile on an artillery unit.  Jump + direct fire penalty puts you at an 11 to hit on a base of 4.  That's a harsh diet.
(b) 4/6 seems a bit slow.  5/8 would let you avoid overrun from heavies.  That costs 4 tons though which is tricky to free up.
(c) A Sniper fits nicely on an assault mech.
Honestly I didn't know VTOLs could fire artillery stuff when airborne, I had thought they had to land first.  Not sure where I heard it from.

But yeah, the jets are basically there to keep up with other 'Mech formations that may also have jump jets, to cross ravines or something, maybe to relocate after firing to help evade counter-battery.  They're not really intended to actually fire the artillery piece while jumping.  I guess there's enough ammo to waste on it, though...

4/6 seems like the practical limit for a 3025-style Thumper platform, even without the Jump Jets (you can do it but you lose a lot of armor in the process).  Endo-Steel access makes 5/8 practical even with a regular fusion engine, which makes it fairly cheap.  In that case I'd go with a 60-tonner, because you can use the ubiquitous 300 Vlar engine.

Snipers fit on Assault 'Mechs, but I think I prefer it on heavies.  If I can stop playing Helldivers long enough to finish my Mechani Alliance 'Mech writeups, one of those is a 4/6 75-ton Sniper platform.  It's pretty effective.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2024, 09:12:09 »
Honestly I didn't know VTOLs could fire artillery stuff when airborne, I had thought they had to land first.  Not sure where I heard it from.
Yeah, whacky.  If you follow that thread you'll see that it's not only legal but canon.

But yeah, the jets are basically there to keep up with other 'Mech formations that may also have jump jets, to cross ravines or something, maybe to relocate after firing to help evade counter-battery.  They're not really intended to actually fire the artillery piece while jumping.  I guess there's enough ammo to waste on it, though...
Thumper is great that way.  By some measures, the most explosive ammo available in the game.  I usually go with 2 tons just because there are so many shots, but 3 is respectable for a long combat.

The jump jets are for getting you to places infantry have a hard time reaching.  At least that was my theory for my Arturion... ;)
Remarkably similar differing only by trading a ton of ammo for a ton of armor and ML weapon placement.

Register