Author Topic: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread  (Read 107588 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: 15 November 2019, 21:03:08 »
That still doesn't really resolve the problem though.

Ultimately it is a small problem and I never bought into the idea that it was an absolute necessity for him to ride there despite what the dialogue indicated.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #31 on: 16 November 2019, 15:31:39 »
Just watched episode 1 and 2, that was some good stuff. Good start hopefully will keep it good.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 16 November 2019, 17:30:23 »
I didn't like episode 2 as much; it felt like they were just throwing obstacles at him to fill time, but it did get us a little character development seeing him persevere.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #33 on: 16 November 2019, 20:41:04 »
Who'd have thought that a scene involving a sandcrawler could be so exciting?  :popcorn:

My only complaint with this episode was how quickly the ship was fixed (with only hand tools no less!) given how thoroughly trashed it was.
I have spoken.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 16 November 2019, 23:54:15 »
Haven't watched ep 2 yet but sounds like Bob the Builder made an appearance  :facepalm:

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 17 November 2019, 09:49:53 »
Who'd have thought that a scene involving a sandcrawler could be so exciting?  :popcorn:

My only complaint with this episode was how quickly the ship was fixed (with only hand tools no less!) given how thoroughly trashed it was.

I didn't like fixing the ship montage. That was really odd to me. They fixed the ship with no problem.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #36 on: 18 November 2019, 09:31:01 »
I didn't like fixing the ship montage. That was really odd to me. They fixed the ship with no problem.

Thats was my problem also. Should take more time to do it I guess.

But that is the point of a MONTAGE...:

http://www.elementsofcinema.com/editing/montage.html

By definition, a montage is "a single pictorial composition made by juxtaposing or superimposing many pictures or designs." In filmmaking, a montage is an editing technique in which shots are juxtaposed in an often fast-paced fashion that compresses time and conveys a lot of information in a relatively short period.

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #37 on: 18 November 2019, 10:06:17 »
I wasn't a huge fan of episode 2, largely because it felt pointless.  When you've got an 8-episode series running to roughly 4 hours, you really have a long movie's worth of total storytelling time.  And everything in this episode was essentially self-contained - The Mandalorian's ship gets stripped, he chases the Jawas, he fails to keep up, he makes a deal with them to get his parts back, fights the monster, fixes his ship and leaves.  A friend of mine likened it to a sidequest in a computer game.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #38 on: 18 November 2019, 12:46:32 »
I know... but you really believe that in one night they would fully repair the ship as messed as it was!?!?! Only two guys!? yeah... right

Unless the day/night cycle of that planet is such that while we only see one "night" that it is actually a reasonable amount of time for two people to fix the ship.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 18 November 2019, 12:54:35 »
I know... but you really believe that in one night they would fully repair the ship as messed as it was!?!?! Only two guys!? yeah... right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Ca9cQ3GV4

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: 18 November 2019, 14:33:59 »
I wasn't a huge fan of episode 2, largely because it felt pointless.  When you've got an 8-episode series running to roughly 4 hours, you really have a long movie's worth of total storytelling time.  And everything in this episode was essentially self-contained - The Mandalorian's ship gets stripped, he chases the Jawas, he fails to keep up, he makes a deal with them to get his parts back, fights the monster, fixes his ship and leaves.  A friend of mine likened it to a sidequest in a computer game.

Seriously. Episode 2 is a bit early for filler. Heck, the first season of a show is early for it. Strange choice from the writers.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #41 on: 18 November 2019, 14:41:24 »
Was great I loved the two episodes so far
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #42 on: 19 November 2019, 04:27:39 »
Same! Although Episode 2 didn't feel like a Western in Space. Instead, it felt like Lone Wolf & Cub in Space instead. But yeah, really enjoying it :D

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #43 on: 19 November 2019, 04:29:50 »
Same! Although Episode 2 didn't feel like a Western in Space. Instead, it felt like Lone Wolf & Cub in Space instead. But yeah, really enjoying it :D

I think it was the AV Club's review that said that as well. 

I'd be OK with Mandalorian as Itto Ogami and baby Yoda as Daigoro

EDIT: I'm listening to Adam Savage's podcast right now and he literally just said this as well!
« Last Edit: 19 November 2019, 04:32:26 by Lorcan Nagle »
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 19 November 2019, 04:37:32 »

That was my thoughts while watching it. Lone Wolf & Cub feeling to that second episode. It's not the first time the SW universe was getting inspiration from Japanese cinematography.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 19 November 2019, 04:52:02 »

Everything is better in Lego!!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 19 November 2019, 17:41:03 »
Because Mandalorian is on Disney+ and clearly folks here are using the service...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/19/tech/disney-plus-password-account-hacked-trnd/index.html

That didn't take long.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #47 on: 19 November 2019, 23:26:59 »
Because Mandalorian is on Disney+ and clearly folks here are using the service...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/19/tech/disney-plus-password-account-hacked-trnd/index.html

That didn't take long.

That is a totally misleading—one might even say false—headline. If you read the article, nobody's Disney+ account was hacked. Other accounts were hacked and some stupid people used the same email/password for Disney+. That's on them, not on the Disney+ service.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #48 on: 19 November 2019, 23:43:11 »
Seriously. Episode 2 is a bit early for filler. Heck, the first season of a show is early for it. Strange choice from the writers.
i didn't perceive it as filler. we've gotten used to movies and shows that throw action at us so fast that we can barely keep up, but if you go back to older shows, which The Mandalorian is certainly drawing inspiration from (be it westerns or samurai epics) you see a lot of these sorts of slower paced storylines, where the focus is more on character exploration and enjoying the setting visuals. and it wasn't like the first episode didn't have a lot of slower sequences either.

besides, the storyline did have character development purposes. not only did it show us how the mandalorian responds to adversity that can't easily be overcome with weapons (the damage to his ship and his inability to force the Jawa's to give the parts back) but it also forces him to learn a bit of humility (having to not only rely on Kuiil to translate, but also having to give up his weapons and learn to trust a little), and then showing his bravery when he's faced with a lethally hostile creature and all his technological weapons no longer worked.. rather than run he was prepared to die facing the thing down with just a blade. and then we got the big reveal about the the baby's ability to use the force, which clearly gives us a major foreshadowing of future plot related stuff, particularly in regard to why so many bountyhunters were hired to go after the kid as well.

« Last Edit: 19 November 2019, 23:51:59 by glitterboy2098 »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 19 November 2019, 23:59:18 »
That is a totally misleading—one might even say false—headline. If you read the article, nobody's Disney+ account was hacked. Other accounts were hacked and some stupid people used the same email/password for Disney+. That's on them, not on the Disney+ service.
I saw the first parts of it and didn't quite realize - that said, it's just one more reminder to update your passwords in general and not be dumb when it comes to making them.  And if someone realizes they can't log in to Disney+, well, now they know why.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Death Monkey

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 22 November 2019, 05:21:12 »
So, Episode 3.

Non spoiler, this seems to be a great episode for cross platform marketing.  Several Latero( Greez from Fallen Order) seem to make a couple prominent cameos.

CapricornNoble

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 22 November 2019, 22:14:21 »
Sooooooo, was Jango Fett rocking a full suit of Beskar armor in Attack of the Clones?

Also, the Mando "War Machine" character betrays Jon Favreau's Iron Man roots, especially with the saluting jetpack sendoff at the end. Not that I'm complaining. I'm loving this series so far.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #52 on: 22 November 2019, 22:23:26 »
I'll be honest I had been wanting to see what John could do with Star Wars and I am not disappointed.

I wasn't really surprised by anything in the episode.  It could have been a touch longer just so we could deal with why certain elements played out the way they did but I don't want to complain too much because of how much I enjoyed it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #53 on: 23 November 2019, 14:54:21 »
Just saw Ep3. Wow what a great episode, seriously good stuff and the Mando's actor does an amazing job of bringing his character across without showing his face. Just superb!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #54 on: 23 November 2019, 15:27:57 »
This is very irritating. Can’t get the show to play on my laptop (error code 83), and while it will play on my phone, it continually has to buffer, resulting in extremely long pauses, often after only one or two seconds of play, and lots of frustration and elevated blood pressure on my end.

Any suggestions?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #55 on: 23 November 2019, 15:53:35 »
This is very irritating. Can’t get the show to play on my laptop (error code 83), and while it will play on my phone, it continually has to buffer, resulting in extremely long pauses, often after only one or two seconds of play, and lots of frustration and elevated blood pressure on my end.

Any suggestions?

Ruger

Don't have a Smart TV?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #56 on: 23 November 2019, 16:26:58 »
I'm starting to question whether the Mandalorian is that good/smart a warrior. He's in over his head in 2 of 3 episodes now.  :D

Don't have a Smart TV?
Mine is a 2015 Samsung model. Too old, not available. XBox One is the only thing we have capable of running the app. I really didn't think we were that out of date.  ???

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #57 on: 24 November 2019, 06:55:45 »
I'm starting to question whether the Mandalorian is that good/smart a warrior. He's in over his head in 2 of 3 episodes now.  :D
Mine is a 2015 Samsung model. Too old, not available. XBox One is the only thing we have capable of running the app. I really didn't think we were that out of date.  ???

I think my tv is like that, but not sure. Would need an extra cable anyways right now.

Finally got all three eps to run on phone. Great stuff so far, although I wasn’t sure that first block of beskar was enough to make that pauldron. The second batch was more than enough to make the cuirass, but it looked like he got at least the other pauldron from the deal as well?

Oh, and I loved the heavy infantry Mando, and the nod to Sabine’s line from Rebels there near the end.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #58 on: 24 November 2019, 08:59:56 »
Something people in the Star Wars universe seem to be forgetting all the time:
if a bunch of Mandalorians descents on your position and you have no equal number of Jedi around ... you don't fight, you run!
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 24 November 2019, 09:12:55 »
Oya Mando'ade! Buy'ce bal beskargam!

And my man Favreau comes through again.

I concur with glitterboy's analysis. Character development takes time and so far IMO they're doing it right. Yes, it's more decompressed, as one might expect from a TV series, but I feel it generally makes good use of its time. Another great artifact of the episodic nature for students of the art is that it illustrates the "Act" and "Scene" (however you call the sub-act) structure of general plotting very well. Episode 1, introduce the man and the macguffin, Ep 2 the call, Ep 3 acceptance and burning the bridges... here endeth Act 1, neatly enough. I'm confident if sewn together at the end it should make a decent 3-and-a-bit hours extended cut film (8 eps x ~25 mins minus editing).

Music for me is decent, set the Man With No Name tone great. It's a good sign, I think, that people are generally "complaining" so to speak about wanting to know more, and not about production quality. (Though I would hazard it's probably coming in as a bigtime loss leader.)

Eagerly looking forward to more.

Something people in the Star Wars universe seem to be forgetting all the time:
if a bunch of Mandalorians descents on your position and you have no equal number of Jedi around ... you don't fight, you run!
I never thought I'd ever see a full Mando jetpack assault on live action TV. Stuff of early 00s fan dreams, man.