Author Topic: Inner Spehere SRM Tanks versus Mechs  (Read 14463 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Inner Spehere SRM Tanks versus Mechs
« Reply #30 on: 27 April 2019, 08:22:52 »
There’s some good introtech fire support to be had that does the job. The hunter is a cheap way to get some extra LRM 20s out there. Even the striker has some tread left on the tires

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #31 on: 27 April 2019, 22:16:48 »

Drillson (SRM) probably deserves a mention.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2019, 09:15:05 »
Shouldn't that go in the fan designs section rather than here?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2019, 11:03:44 »
probably,
if no one else does I will start a topic later today
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2019, 11:11:48 »
Honestly, trailers linked with C3 or better of course C3i for perimeter defense (hull down behind a berm) and AA duties make a lot of sense.  A turret with a LB-5X, Snub PPC, LRMs for throwing out Thunders, and LAC/5 to pepper targets would be pretty useful.  More with double blind so the masters are hidden in buildings or behind ring berms . . . maybe give them two hovercraft spotters for a whole company net of C3 . . . and of course, artillery on the masters for indirect support.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2019, 11:37:24 »
yep
this is where the whole decoy vehicle and taco truck with the turret
hidden inside
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2019, 19:48:21 »
Honestly, trailers linked with C3 or better of course C3i for perimeter defense (hull down behind a berm) and AA duties make a lot of sense.  A turret with a LB-5X, Snub PPC, LRMs for throwing out Thunders, and LAC/5 to pepper targets would be pretty useful.  More with double blind so the masters are hidden in buildings or behind ring berms . . . maybe give them two hovercraft spotters for a whole company net of C3 . . . and of course, artillery on the masters for indirect support.

The berm/sandbagged idea was for hasty defense. Ideally, the trailers would be turreted, with the trailer buried, with only the turret exposed. The network would be hard wired to thwart ECM.

Shouldn't that go in the fan designs section rather than here?
  It was an example, not a submission. My point is, in the IS, especially among mercenary units, thinking outside the box is a freedom that few other forces have. The trailer idea was to equip a low-budget insurgency that had plenty of conventional, civilian vehicles and little in the form of military-grade hardware, aggravated by a competent blockade.

The scenario was meant to be a campaign for a veteran wargamer, who commanded an all-vehicle regiment. He had all the 3050-era equipment a Davion unit could afford and faced an impoverished, popular uprising that employed Capellan military advisers and a mercenary mech company. They cobbled together a smattering of obsolete military vehicles but their backbone was infantry and technicals (weaponized civilian vehicles). Since the world was primarily agricultural, there was insufficient industrial base to make any front line vehicles and weaponry but they managed a variety of retro-tech solutions, including trailers and wagons as weapon platforms.

Face it, how good would mech scanners work on a formation of horse-drawn artillery or other mech-grade weapons?
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 20:21:45 by Mohammed As`Zaman Bey »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2019, 21:57:06 »
If they can pick up infantry, they can pick up horses, I'm thinking.  Honestly, I think that mechs would freak horses out something fierce- best bet is to try to keep them away from the front lines.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 21:59:18 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 19 May 2019, 02:19:12 »
If they can pick up infantry, they can pick up horses, I'm thinking.  Honestly, I think that mechs would freak horses out something fierce- best bet is to try to keep them away from the front lines.
  Out in the open, yes, but out of LOS, sensors won't pick them up. Horses have been used hauling artillery for front line and second echelon use. They make nearly undetectable scouts and cost far less than vehicles, with less worry about fuel.

Horses that are used to vehicles won't take long to ignore mechs, as well. Mounted units have fought accompanying tanks as well as against tanks. Horses are far more resilient.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 19 May 2019, 05:18:38 »
All fan designs belong in the appropriate "Fan Design" section, regardless if they are an "example" or a "submission".
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #40 on: 21 May 2019, 11:23:55 »
  The berm/sandbagged idea was for hasty defense. Ideally, the trailers would be turreted, with the trailer buried, with only the turret exposed. The network would be hard wired to thwart ECM.

Sure, but a buried trailer is no longer partly mobile . . . and since most of the advanced rules, large battle, wargaming fights are based in MegaMek I am pretty sure I cannot hard wire the connections nor bury a trailer.  Heck, there are things I would do from a RP perspective that you cannot do in MM- just simulate.  I know I was breaking the rules to give VTOLs external rocket pods before they were added to the rules.

When folks play with Infernos, Plasma Rifles and Plasma Cannons (maybe some A4 Inferno) do you go with the Tac Ops rule ignoring external heat cap?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 22 May 2019, 12:51:39 »
Best time I ever had with SRM carriers were in a city game with parking garages.

1 garage was prestaged with 3 SRM carriers on level 2 and the parking garage enforcement Demolisher on the ground floor
1 S-hawk and 1 Marauder met an unhappy greeting from the locals, Shawk endup with twin ammo strikes/blows SRM and AC and the Marauder missing a leg and a gyro and both mechs looked like they been sandblastered with SRM hits.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #42 on: 22 May 2019, 16:52:20 »
The funniest thing I saw an srm carrier do was as a hidden unit at the end of a bridge (unfortunately against me). As my nightstar and banshee start crossing the bridge, the carrier opens up on the structure. It doesn’t take many plinks to collapse the bridge and both  assaults wind up in a river gorge they can’t get out of within 30 turns

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #43 on: 23 May 2019, 06:07:20 »
The funniest thing I saw an srm carrier do was as a hidden unit at the end of a bridge (unfortunately against me). As my nightstar and banshee start crossing the bridge, the carrier opens up on the structure. It doesn’t take many plinks to collapse the bridge and both  assaults wind up in a river gorge they can’t get out of within 30 turns
Nice  :thumbsup:

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 23 May 2019, 09:40:46 »
The funniest thing I ever did with an SRM carrier was loading a ton of Infernos onto it, then discover that enemy battle armor was using ammo crates as cover.

The GM has banned Infernos ever since.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #45 on: 23 May 2019, 10:52:25 »
Heh, last year's tournament I had a Harasser racing about . . . it stopped 3 hexes away from some Fa Shih and gave them two six-packs of Infernoes . . . burned the BA out in a single turn.  When I played him again in the next round (add another 5k BV) my Harasser was target'd and BA were protected from the hovertank.
Colt Ward

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #46 on: 23 May 2019, 20:58:19 »
Sure, but a buried trailer is no longer partly mobile . . . and since most of the advanced rules, large battle, wargaming fights are based in MegaMek I am pretty sure I cannot hard wire the connections nor bury a trailer.

i think she means entrenched fortification, although i forget if that's in a book or homebrew sitting in one of my notebooks   xp
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #47 on: 23 May 2019, 21:17:08 »
i think she means entrenched fortification, although i forget if that's in a book or homebrew sitting in one of my notebooks   xp

Maybe, tanks HAVE been buried as part of forming defensive lines (See Russians vs Japs in late 30s, the OA story about a Pegasus pillbox, and others) for the simple reason is it puts most of the 'target' out of direct fire . . . and if you cover the deck in sandbags (or better, sandwhich'd metal plate), provides more overhead protection.
Colt Ward

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 16 July 2019, 12:30:01 »
Surprised that no one mentioned the SRM Scorpion Light Tank ... twin SRM6's, with the advantages of being both inexpensive, and tracked, with a turret .....

Between those, and my Hetzers, some of my opponents have irrational fears of parking garages......LOL

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #49 on: 16 July 2019, 13:54:30 »
There is absolutely nothing irrational about a fear of parking garages in BT...  ^-^

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #50 on: 16 July 2019, 14:58:56 »
Row upon row of Hetzers blinking at passing mechs.
Colt Ward

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #51 on: 17 July 2019, 11:28:26 »
Row upon row of Hetzers blinking at passing mechs.

LRM Hetzers do more than blink.

*SHUDDER*

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #52 on: 17 July 2019, 11:52:44 »
A 60m wide 3 level parking garage only needs to blink once if the mech is walking in the street next to it . . . you could place a whole company of Hetzers in that building with stacking rules . . . . 12 AC/20 shells @ . . . 4 gun, +2 MM for the mech . . .

would you want to face 12 AC/20s that need a 6 to hit?
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 17 July 2019, 12:44:25 »
Do you want indiscriminate artillery and carpet bombing?  Because this is how you get indiscriminate artillery and carpet bombing.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #54 on: 17 July 2019, 13:23:15 »
that would have to be a pretty sturdy parking garage

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 17 July 2019, 17:46:17 »
Do you want indiscriminate artillery and carpet bombing?  Because this is how you get indiscriminate artillery and carpet bombing.
Only if they survive to call for them, and then only if the raiders have them   :screw_loose:

But I remember the good old days when you could go raiding with a lance or at most a company of mechs, get to your target and then pull away
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #56 on: 17 July 2019, 18:09:56 »
If the target has the forces to stuff a parking garage with a dozen Hetzers, you're probably not raiding the planet, you're occupying it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #57 on: 18 July 2019, 13:30:08 »
that would have to be a pretty sturdy parking garage

Lol, it would have to be built with earthquake/wind sway in mind.  Now I am going to have to set that up in megamek just to see what happens- mech meets the Company of Boom.
Colt Ward

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #58 on: 19 July 2019, 10:26:00 »
Just think about the CF of the building would you need to hold 12 Hetzers.  That's 12 x 40 tons, or 480 tons of weight that it has to support, plus whatever you need for "insurance" in case someone throws a rock at it or something.  What comes after "Hardened"?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #59 on: 19 July 2019, 11:15:18 »
Actually 6x40- to get the 12 firing you would need 2 hexes of facing to the road, so . . . 240 CF minimum for the hex, 275 CF would be 'safe' IMO.  But that raises a question, what IS the structural support difference between a normal commercial building and a parking garage- especially since we get some IRL that are taller than I posed.

12 levels of parking . . . which since each is about 3 meters, means 2 for a BT level . . .
Colt Ward