Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163541 times)

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #1410 on: 17 August 2019, 16:07:25 »

Ended up binging through Overlord in the run up to and wind down from Gen Con.

Really liking a lot of things about the aesthetic of the show overall (even if it is a  somewhat-standard wish fulfillment isekai underneath)

Just wish that there was something that was a bigger threat to him and the Tomb folks overall.  So far his biggest and most threatening fights have been against his own team members...
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1411 on: 18 August 2019, 09:18:01 »
So far its like that in the LN too and has him both annoyed and relieved by it lol

I do hope they do another season. The next few books have more of a RPG followed by world building theme to them. Not sure what the author has planned for Slane or any of the other kingdoms after v13.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1412 on: 18 August 2019, 21:19:33 »
Ep 7 To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts

Well done Schaal, you're all grown up now: your calendar age is immaterial. Even that old sergeant can't dispute that. You had a hard choice to make while standing in a place just as hard, and you did well, as much as it tore you up to do it.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1413 on: 28 August 2019, 21:55:55 »
Tried Dr Stone.

Everyone on this show is annoying.  Nobody has personalities, they just have shonen stereotypes.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1414 on: 29 August 2019, 01:07:25 »
After reading the description of Dr Stone I decided to pass on it. Sounds like I made the right call.

As for To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts I watched the first episode but couldn't really get into it. May try and binge watch the rest at a later time.

I hope we get some really good shows next season

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1415 on: 29 August 2019, 09:19:52 »
Dr Stone is very Shonen, but its main character isnt. No victory via power of friendship, or training arcs for him. SCIENCE!
That said, I'm glad Taiji got put on a bus. He annoyed the hell out of me and I came close to not giving the show a chance because of it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1416 on: 29 August 2019, 09:58:20 »
Dr Stone is very Shonen, but its main character isnt. No victory via power of friendship, or training arcs for him. SCIENCE!

Except that it handles science in traditional Shonen style: the character is a teenage supergenius with knowledge equivalent to multiple PhDs in numerous unrelated fields of science who can develop anything he wants to IN A CAVE!  WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS! on the first try.  There's no trial and error and no actual science involved, he just knows stuff and does a perfect job at creating it (except for trying to make brandy).  If there had been six characters who'd pooled their minds and resources to do what he was doing, it would have been more tolerable.  Also if the show didn't insist that the guy actually counted out three thousand years worth of seconds in his head without making a mistake.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1417 on: 29 August 2019, 13:12:38 »
So he's a spark then?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1418 on: 29 August 2019, 13:31:22 »
No. Sparks explicitly have a form of insanity and are more comedic.

He's a boringly OP anime protagonist.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1419 on: 29 August 2019, 22:52:16 »
Frame Arms Girl has flying drones (or robots?) carrying Frame Arms dolls and their accessories. I just read something similar is now reality: flying drones deliver food in Finland and in some other countries, and blood samples in Switzerland. One more step into the future. Now to wait for independently moving dolls with varying personalities :thumbsup:
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #1420 on: 30 August 2019, 09:57:06 »
There's no trial and error and no actual science involved, he just knows stuff and does a perfect job at creating it (except for trying to make brandy).  If there had been six characters who'd pooled their minds and resources to do what he was doing, it would have been more tolerable.  Also if the show didn't insist that the guy actually counted out three thousand years worth of seconds in his head without making a mistake.
Just because they glance over a lot of it, doesnt mean there's no trial and error involved (And a lot of what he's doing so far is basic chemistry and engineering). All those stone birds he had lined up were previous test cases, after all. There was also an extended flashback from before his friend work up going over a bunch of his previous bits of learning curve. Granted, most of this was AFTER his friend left, and the village entered the equation.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #1421 on: 03 September 2019, 11:24:45 »
So, catching up on Iron Blooded Orphans, I decided to rematch the first season, and CR has it dubbed.  It's amazing the difference I see with the change in voice-acting.  Maybe part of it isn't me having to keep up with subtitles, and finally noticing small things I missed the first time, like facial expressions.  But, overall, the american voice-acting makes Mikazuki less the stoic living weapon, and someone likable.

This has actually improved the show, for me. Too bad the second season is subtitled only, so far.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1422 on: 03 September 2019, 14:57:14 »
Is it me?, Does anime these days seem to me isn't doing so well with content.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1423 on: 03 September 2019, 15:03:21 »
Is it me?, Does anime these days seem to me isn't doing so well with content.

Define "these days", "so well" & "content". I happen to be enjoying a lot of this current season - Danmachi, Granbelm, Lord El Melloi - I'm getting all the action, comedy, mystery & drama I desire with the charming characters I crave!

The last three years have each seen one of the best anime made I've ever seen - Flip Flappers in 2016, Princess Principal in 2017, & Revue Starlight in 2018. That 2019 hasn't produced a top 1% anime like those yet doesn't strike me as a sign of drastic decline.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1424 on: 03 September 2019, 15:29:08 »

This season is decent, what I am watching:

Cop Craft - A buddy cop show that does tackle some issues.
Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - Light ecchi sport comedy, catchy song and a bit informative
Granbelm - Keychain mecha show, the story is better than the action.
Kanata no Astra - Scifi with mysteries and twists
Machikado Mazoku - Light hearted magical girl parody
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1425 on: 03 September 2019, 19:34:15 »
I keep getting told to pick up El Melloi files.  Anyone watching?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1426 on: 03 September 2019, 19:35:53 »
I keep getting told to pick up El Melloi files.  Anyone watching?

Yep! It's Sherlock Holmes where Sherlock Holmes is Waver Velvet from Fate/Zero as an adult, the mysteries are all occult, & just about every ancillary Fate character crashes the party at some point! It's marvelous!

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1427 on: 04 September 2019, 08:05:30 »
Define "these days", "so well" & "content". I happen to be enjoying a lot of this current season - Danmachi, Granbelm, Lord El Melloi - I'm getting all the action, comedy, mystery & drama I desire with the charming characters I crave!

Having seen the first season of Danmachi recently, has the second season lived up to the promise of the first?

It seems to me that we are getting a lot of great anime content over the past few years. I'm curious as well as to what is lacking.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #1428 on: 04 September 2019, 08:50:56 »
Danmachi Season 2: The first arc rushed things a bit in order to hit the 2nd arc faster, but that one's doing pretty well so far.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1429 on: 04 September 2019, 10:10:18 »
Having seen the first season of Danmachi recently, has the second season lived up to the promise of the first?

I think so! We're finally starting to see Hestia Familia move up from homeless nobodies to a proper adventurer association! The politicking between the Gods is really starting to pick up, & the drama is mounting right along with it. There's barely been any time spent in the dungeon, but that hasn't meant the slightest drop in action as Familia vs Familia has become a greater focus - great stuff!
« Last Edit: 04 September 2019, 10:47:32 by MadCapellan »

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1430 on: 04 September 2019, 10:18:21 »
I think so! We're finally starting to see Hestia Familia move up from homeless nobodies to a proper adventurer association! The politickinf between the Gods is really starting to pick up, & the drama is mounting right along with it. There's barely been any time spent in the dungeon, but that hasn't meant the slightest drop in action as Familia vs Familia has become a greater focus - great stuff!

Oh good.  I'm hoping Hulu will get the dub after the season finishes.

-- William S. Burroughs

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1431 on: 06 September 2019, 10:29:58 »
Been on a Gundam kick, lately. Finished Build-Fighters season 1.  Don't see why there's a season 2, but I'll get to it eventually.  Really liked the concept, although the alternaworlds invasion thing was different.

Gundam the Origin was neat.  Liked seeing the rise of Char and Zeon, as well as some of the key events leading up to the one year war.  Really longing for a facelift to the original Gundam Series.  I got into Gundam off the movie trilogy on VHS.  Think I gave that away, or sold it.  But, all I want to see is a facelift in animation.  Don't need to redo the voice acting or dialogue.

As I said, started rematching Iron Blooded Orphans to get into season 2, and the dub has made a difference on my outlook of the key main character.

Not having seen all of Thunderbolt, yet, I'm  also interested in seeing something less preachy out of Gundam, and maybe more of a series of honest war stories. War in the Pocket was good in that regard. 8th MS team was okay, but it had some preachy elements near the end.  Stardust Memories was also up there in being good, but like 8th MS team, had some cringe moments.

Almost want to watch them again. 

Anyway, that's where I'm at.  I'm also slowly working through Cells at Work.  A fun one so far that I don't have to watch through multiple episode arcs.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1432 on: 08 September 2019, 09:58:20 »
I just watched Shad(iversity)'s first impressions / reaction to first episode of Vinland Saga anime. He makes a comparison to Viking sagas. I do remember reading something about a viking sailing over the land and mountains. So yeah, that's a good point he makes there. Manga version don't seem so stupidly over-the-top now.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1433 on: 16 September 2019, 14:07:37 »
Huh. Even though we get a masked man mid-season 1 of Iron-blooded orphans, I get the impression that the two Gyallarhorn knights are this world's equivalent of Char and Garma from the original UC series.  I just noticed.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1434 on: 18 September 2019, 14:39:15 »

Everyone watching Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru, when watching the final episode make sure to see the last end scene as it is very sweet and cute.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1435 on: 18 September 2019, 15:28:40 »
So, for the new season...

Finally upon us is:
  • the isekai that i dropped the manga of after one chapter (Choyoyu) and the thing i dropped about two seasons ago but does well in the US foremost (Boku no Hero Academia)
  • the chinese copy of KanColle (Azur Lane)... and if you're not into anthropomorphized ships try the anthropomorphized swords (Tenka Hyakken, the other mobage adaption)
  • the feels-like-25th adaption of Fate (Grand Order) and the feels-like-125th adaption of Gundam (Build Divers Re:Rise... seriously)
  • the continuation of the one that people think is a cartoon (Radiant) and a continuation that will be ruined in art style by change of studio (Nanatsu no Taizai)
  • the continuation of the continuation that people though wasn't particularly good for an ailing franchise (SAO Alicization War of Underwold) and the continuation of the split of the continuation of the series that people thought season one was the only worthwhile (Shokugeki no Soma)
  • they're also digging really dip into the bottom pile regarding isekai now, adapting "I Said Make My Abilities Average" and "Ascendance of a Bookworm" (guess it's time for the girls to get their isekai turn on screen)... oh, and Kemonomichi. Can't forget about that - after all it's countering all that estrogen with an extra dose of testosteron for the main character.
  • Series 5 of Aikatsu. Just thought i'd mention it, given it's been trying to convince people that this episode is not just last week's episode again for a continuous 27 cours and 354 episodes now. Apparently Kagayaki no Jewel (Series 4) didn't sell enough cards, otherwise they wouldn't have dropped it after only 26 episodes.

And then we suddenly get a second series for Z/X, season two of Granblue... and finally, finally season three of Chihayafuru... and someone's finally going to complete the adaption of Cooking Master Boy with a sequel only twenty years after the first series. Rejoice for that.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2019, 15:35:17 by kato »

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1436 on: 18 September 2019, 17:41:45 »
Looking forward to Azur Lane.  The side mission events in the game have had some good stories so there's potential there.  I may have to give in and stream this one though.  I'm assuming an English dub is unlikely.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1437 on: 18 September 2019, 19:33:09 »
So, for the new season...

Finally upon us is:
  • the isekai that i dropped the manga of after one chapter (Choyoyu) and the thing i dropped about two seasons ago but does well in the US foremost (Boku no Hero Academia)
  • the chinese copy of KanColle (Azur Lane)... and if you're not into anthropomorphized ships try the anthropomorphized swords (Tenka Hyakken, the other mobage adaption)
  • the feels-like-25th adaption of Fate (Grand Order) and the feels-like-125th adaption of Gundam (Build Divers Re:Rise... seriously)
  • the continuation of the one that people think is a cartoon (Radiant) and a continuation that will be ruined in art style by change of studio (Nanatsu no Taizai)
  • the continuation of the continuation that people though wasn't particularly good for an ailing franchise (SAO Alicization War of Underwold) and the continuation of the split of the continuation of the series that people thought season one was the only worthwhile (Shokugeki no Soma)
  • they're also digging really dip into the bottom pile regarding isekai now, adapting "I Said Make My Abilities Average" and "Ascendance of a Bookworm" (guess it's time for the girls to get their isekai turn on screen)... oh, and Kemonomichi. Can't forget about that - after all it's countering all that estrogen with an extra dose of testosteron for the main character.
  • Series 5 of Aikatsu. Just thought i'd mention it, given it's been trying to convince people that this episode is not just last week's episode again for a continuous 27 cours and 354 episodes now. Apparently Kagayaki no Jewel (Series 4) didn't sell enough cards, otherwise they wouldn't have dropped it after only 26 episodes.

And then we suddenly get a second series for Z/X, season two of Granblue... and finally, finally season three of Chihayafuru... and someone's finally going to complete the adaption of Cooking Master Boy with a sequel only twenty years after the first series. Rejoice for that.
I like to point out that Azur Lane is more....popular than Koncolle which seems to be restricted to its own market in Japan
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1438 on: 18 September 2019, 19:56:33 »
  • the chinese copy improvement of KanColle (Azur Lane)...
I am so stoked for this! Not only is Azur Lane an awesome game that has given me a ballin' Royal Navy fleet with not one, but TWO ships voiced by Rie Kugimiya, but the anime is being animated by the director of Kiniro Mosaic's Bibury Studio!

Preview for those looking to see what to expect! (picture quality is low because it was ripped from a Nico stream) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcdW5btAAg
« Last Edit: 18 September 2019, 19:58:35 by MadCapellan »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1439 on: 19 September 2019, 00:14:45 »
Definitely more enjoyable to me than Kancolle.  Been keeping up with some of the mangas, and I like that it's fun reading and not tedious.  Still have some issues with the character fan service, and I'm preferring my Royal fleet over the Eagles simply because they have better fashion sense too.

I am so stoked for this! Not only is Azur Lane an awesome game that has given me a ballin' Royal Navy fleet with not one, but TWO ships voiced by Rie Kugimiya, but the anime is being animated by the director of Kiniro Mosaic's Bibury Studio!

Preview for those looking to see what to expect! (picture quality is low because it was ripped from a Nico stream) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcdW5btAAg

Register