Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 164489 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #210 on: 17 August 2018, 17:51:00 »
 :toofunny:

There's a joke in there somewhere but.... yeah, I'll just keep my mouth shut. :runaway:

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #211 on: 17 August 2018, 18:08:09 »
Combining mecha- you're doing it wrong.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #212 on: 18 August 2018, 18:45:07 »
In other news, I've purchased, but haven't yet watched, the Starblazers 2199 part 1 set...trying to get through two used sets of Dark Shadows first, as need to know by no more than 4 days from now if I needed to take them back...and at 40 half hour episodes per set, it takes a while to go through those...

Ruger

Well, I've now watched the part 1 set of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 twice now, and all I can say is...

I WISH I HAD PART 2!!!!

I absolutely loved this remake of the series, especially the choices of making the ship bigger, with a larger, more diversified crew...love the Gamillan ships, and the space battles between fleets is great...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #213 on: 19 August 2018, 17:18:24 »
Crunchyroll and Funimation have it :P The also have part of 2202. Not sure when that is going to pick up again though...

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #214 on: 20 August 2018, 07:45:24 »
Crunchyroll and Funimation have it :P The also have part of 2202. Not sure when that is going to pick up again though...
Well considering that the 2202 "films" haven't been fully released yet.
Film #6 releases in Japan on Nov 2. I wouldn't expect the final "film" to be released until early next year. Hell, the TV airing of 2202 won't begin until Oct 6 (mentioned in the linked article).

To be honest, I'm not enjoying 2202 as much as 2199. There are some cool concepts and ideas, but I kept feeling the narrative is going off the deep end. But then again, I've only seen through ep 10-12...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #215 on: 20 August 2018, 11:32:26 »
I've trying get the time watch ep 10 and beyond.

Your right about them going off the deep end. Its like their trying use the wild craziness that Captain Harlock series was known for, where physics is thrown out the door. I'm not fan of that.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #216 on: 02 September 2018, 10:51:07 »
I'll start with a quote by MadCapellan from this post:
First & foremost is audience projection - most teenage & young adult fans of manga & light novels tend towards shy introversion. A protagonist that's an outgoing alpha-male strikes many authors & fans as someone they cannot empathize with, & may in fact be seen as an unlikeable, grandstsnding jerk!

Equally important are Japanese cultural expectations regarding social propriety. Japanese culture lacks the sexual hangups common in Western cultures, but social interaction, particularly between sexes, is subject to substantial formalities. Aggressively hitting on a girl is considered vulgar, and a woman who responds to such behavior is seen as of loose morals. Relationships are carefully considered and agreed by the parties involved so as neither party loses face. Public displays of affection are considered rude performance rather than symbolic of true love. A man who demurrs when a woman makes an unwanted or inappropriate sexual advance is saving face for them both. In contrast, a man who makes an unsolicited sexual advance runs the risk of being accused of being a molester or pick-up artist, which would be damaging to his reputation.

Finally, there is the cynical fact that production companies wish to preserve the status quo to prevent the character goods for one or more female characters from losing demand & prevent fan backlash against divisive character choices (such as with Oreimo). While most fans despise inconclusive endings, in series where there are multiple popular heroines a decisive ending may split the fanbase & damage further opportunities for monetization.
I thought I had answered this before, but I couldn't find it. Anyway in good number of Japanese light/Web novels I have read lately male leads don't practice celibacy. I expected guy wouldn't initiate a kiss, but then in light novel How a realist hero rebuilt the kingdom (Kindle version) he kiss #1 girl, and in next volume they go rest of the way. Then in anime Death March guy actively pursues relationship and visits prostitutes. And in last month I found translated Web novel Gun-ota (shortened title), where guy proposes marriage to girl while they both are at age of 8! (They got engaged, then they got married with eachother +1 more girl, they enjoy all the benefits of marriage, and that was at half-way point!)

What the Hell? Have the Japanese authors finally realized that celibacy is overused concept in harem genre? Or has there always been variety and I have just missed it until now?
« Last Edit: 02 September 2018, 10:53:20 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #217 on: 02 September 2018, 11:39:52 »
Sounds like none of these were set in modern Japan.  That might have made the authors feel freer to do things a little differently.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

kato

• Captain
« Reply #218 on: 02 September 2018, 12:40:28 »
Different target audience spectrum for the most part.

Much like isekai has largely switched over from the original direct-transfer (often with the stereotypical "yuusha call" or other summoning) to a young-again- or other body modification frame (often with rebirth involved).

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #219 on: 02 September 2018, 13:00:56 »
I'll start with a quote by MadCapellan from this post:I thought I had answered this before, but I couldn't find it. Anyway in good number of Japanese light/Web novels I have read lately male leads don't practice celibacy......Have the Japanese authors finally realized that celibacy is overused concept in harem genre?

Not really. Of the three novels you mentioned, Realist Hero is the product of a very minor publisher, & Gunota is & Death March was an independent web novel of the type that often skew even further towards wish-fulfillment than the usual published fare. Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody is the closest thing to a success of the three titles you've mentioned, having been picked-up by Fujimi Shobo for print distribution, but the setting is explicitly an MMO (Read: NOT REAL) so presumably a lot of social expectations don't apply.

Or has there always been variety and I have just missed it until now?

It has always been there on the fringe of the seinen light novel industry. Rather than a new development, it's a product of the expanding availability of translated Japanese fiction that it's easier for Westerners to become aware of its existence.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #220 on: 02 September 2018, 13:19:13 »
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody is the closest thing to a success of the three titles you've mentioned, having been picked-up by Fujimi Shobo for print distribution, but the setting is explicitly an MMO (Read: NOT REAL) so presumably a lot of social expectations don't apply.
Haven't read it, but what I said about it is in anime too. I have seen it mentioned that in original Web novel version of Sword Art Online things get hot, but didn't make it to anime.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #221 on: 02 September 2018, 13:47:33 »
Hmm, given some of the stuff that did make it into SAO, I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #222 on: 02 September 2018, 14:00:04 »
Hmm, given some of the stuff that did make it into SAO, I'm not sure that's a bad thing.
Oh yes, there is an attempted rape at end of the first season. But I was talking about lead character, Kirito.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #223 on: 02 September 2018, 22:26:28 »
I believe I know what Matti is referring to.
There is a supposed Chapter 16.5 (from SAO Vol 1) out there covering what may of happened between Asusa and Kirito after Kudgel's attempt to kill Kirito. From what I've herd about it, the author couldn't even write that reasonably well...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #224 on: 03 September 2018, 02:05:44 »
It has always been there on the fringe of the seinen light novel industry.
TVtropes warning!
Being unpopular doesn't necessarily mean it can't be good ;)

Rather than a new development, it's a product of the expanding availability of translated Japanese fiction that it's easier for Westerners to become aware of its existence.
:thumbsup:

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #225 on: 03 September 2018, 08:16:46 »
TVtropes warning!Being unpopular doesn't necessarily mean it can't be good

Well, sure! Different people like different things, so different stories are made for different audiences. Plenty of obscure fiction is awesome, & plenty of popular material is positively banal. That's true no matter what culture you are in.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #226 on: 03 September 2018, 10:46:07 »
Well considering that the 2202 "films" haven't been fully released yet.
Film #6 releases in Japan on Nov 2. I wouldn't expect the final "film" to be released until early next year. Hell, the TV airing of 2202 won't begin until Oct 6 (mentioned in the linked article).

To be honest, I'm not enjoying 2202 as much as 2199. There are some cool concepts and ideas, but I kept feeling the narrative is going off the deep end. But then again, I've only seen through ep 10-12...

Ok if the movies are still not being produced or TV then what the heck am I seeing on Crunchyroll for 25minutes of the 2202 stuff dealing with the comet empire?

A question I have though is has anybody seen or read Gate Weigh Anchor manga?

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

kato

• Captain
« Reply #227 on: 03 September 2018, 14:09:56 »
Ok if the movies are still not being produced or TV then what the heck am I seeing on Crunchyroll for 25minutes of the 2202 stuff dealing with the comet empire?
The movies are in production. What you see on Crunchyroll is an edit of those movies. Each movie is cut into about 4 episodes (e.g. movie 6 is episode 19-22).

The TV version will be an edit of the edit. With new OP/ED songs. Like with 2199.

A question I have though is has anybody seen or read Gate Weigh Anchor manga?
There is no manga, Weigh Anchor is a way oversized light novel. You can find samples of the two 500+ page tankoban released at Alphapolis, the publisher of Gate. Quite hefty price at 1700 yen per volume for the Kindle version too in my opinion (on Amazon Japan).

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #228 on: 03 September 2018, 14:51:18 »
Weigh Anchor is a way oversized light novel. You can find samples of the two 500+ page tankoban released at Alphapolis
So those are just ordinary novels then? Original Gate books (in print) were also novels (5 volumes), and then those got cut in half to light novels (10 volumes).

kato

• Captain
« Reply #229 on: 03 September 2018, 14:53:31 »
They include some artwork here and there throughout it apparently (every couple dozen pages), which is more a signature thing of LNs.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #230 on: 03 September 2018, 16:31:32 »
Revue Starlight - the long anticipated episode detailing Hikari's perspective dropped, & it was everything I had hoped it would be! I can't believe she just took out Nostalgia Emperess Nana Daiba! 8 episodes in & the music, the character directing & the fight sakuga is still knocking my socks off! It's going to be really hard for anything to top this for anime of the year at this point! You better bring your A game to Black Fox, Studio3Hz!!!

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #231 on: 03 September 2018, 20:14:05 »
MadCappellan.
Thanks to your post detailing Azur Lane in 'And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!' back in 2017, I started playing it casually when the South East Asian server opened.

I hate you. This is all your fault.  :thumbsup:

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #232 on: 03 September 2018, 20:38:09 »
I hate you. This is all your fault.  :thumbsup:

Excellent! I'm glad to spread the love of ship girls world-wide!

Which is why I'm proud to announce that the game is now available in English on GooglePlay & Apple AppStore!

As for me, I'm slowly grinding out HMS Neptune from the World of Warships crossover event. I've already secured HMS Monarch. Once I've got Neptune, it will mean I've got every Royal Navy ship available on the JP server!

Screen-caps of my main fleets from a bit ago:

Oh, I highly recommend HMS Nelson & HMS Rodney in any fleet. Their "Big Seven" skill's blast wave is just plain awesome!
« Last Edit: 03 September 2018, 20:45:56 by MadCapellan »

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #233 on: 03 September 2018, 21:17:33 »
oh Im still in Chapter 3 or World 3. Terror's Infinity Darkness skill is very nifty when there's an intact wave in front of her. So much damage.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #234 on: 03 September 2018, 22:33:41 »
I'm generally impressed how generous this game is compared to most of the other gacha games I've played (including KanColle).
Only one that came close to flooding me with similar quantities of viable loot was the now defunct Muv-Luv: Strike Frontier.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #235 on: 04 September 2018, 05:41:44 »
oh Im still in Chapter 3 or World 3. Terror's Infinity Darkness skill is very nifty when there's an intact wave in front of her. So much damage.

Yep! All three Monitors have the exact same blast-wave skill, but the monitor's blast wave strikes only about a third of the screen. That's why I have Terror & Erebus paired in my 2nd Fleet so when they activate they'll wipe the screen clean on both edges!

I'm generally impressed how generous this game is compared to most of the other gacha games I've played (including KanColle).
Only one that came close to flooding me with similar quantities of viable loot was the now defunct Muv-Luv: Strike Frontier.

Indeed! Any of the general construction ships can be had really easily just grinding out construction cubes normally. Best I can tell, Bilibili & Yohstar are making their money via selling costumes & wedding rings, because there's really no reason to spend money to gacha, or even for stamina!

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #236 on: 05 September 2018, 10:30:11 »
I've recently started playing Azur Lane too, since the English beta showed up. I mean, no real reason NOT to, now.

I'm having fun with it for the moment, but I'm not sure if this will interest me long term. Beyond collecting them all, and beating the maps, I'm not seeing much of a game loop that'd keep me entertained and coming back over and over unlike some games I've played. I'm already on 'hit auto and let them play by themselves' for some things.

But then I'm on year 3 with Granblue Fantasy, so who knows? If they trickle out enough new stuff to keep increasing that 'get them all' urge, I'll be OK I think.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #237 on: 05 September 2018, 13:27:41 »
Why are you talking about video games here? ???

There's a dedicated topic for them you know.

I have started watching Real Girl. Anyone else here watched it? Should I keep going or drop it for something better?

kato

• Captain
« Reply #238 on: 05 September 2018, 13:30:24 »
I have started watching Real Girl. Anyone else here watched it? Should I keep going or drop it for something better?
It's not that bad, even if it gets a bit tedious as it goes on. Season 2 confirmed for 2019 btw, live-action movie in theaters in Japan in two weeks.

... is there something better?

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #239 on: 05 September 2018, 14:00:33 »
About Real Girl
... is there something better?
Dunno... And you thought there is never a girl online? Recovery of a MMO junkie?

I've seen both of them and they're okay. For me at least.

Register