Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163545 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #1320 on: 28 June 2019, 21:38:05 »
On a more serious note, there has been bitching about liberal translations, whether dubbed or subbed. Do you know about the outrage that ensued with Prison School translation mentioning some Gamergate?
Addendum: There has been voiced some displeasure about Funimation's translations, including mentioned Prison School. Assuming Khara got a wind of it, they may have decided that Funimation shall not frak up their anime like that. Does this theory make sense to you?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1321 on: 01 July 2019, 09:18:18 »
From the various messages I've seen about it, one of which was posted before, what sparked it this was the reaction they saw from the showing of the movie at a Convention. I doubt other translations, for other studios, had anything to do with it. From all accounts, they've always been touchy when it comes to the Eva translations.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1322 on: 03 July 2019, 13:47:38 »
Kanata no Astra started today.

Who said Lerche is suddenly allowed to make hard scifi?

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #1323 on: 08 July 2019, 09:40:36 »
<wanders through the thread>

<drops something>

<wanders out, whistling "Let the Good Times Roll">
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1324 on: 08 July 2019, 10:44:23 »
Kanata no Astra started today.

Who said Lerche is suddenly allowed to make hard scifi?

Watched it yesterday - production was well-polished, but man if that cast isn't the slightest bit likeable!  :( I hope they grow on me, because otherwise this is a drop.

So far I've also caught Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo/O Maidens In Your Savage Season, Granbelm, Joshikosei no Mudazukai/Wasteful Days of High School Girls, & Re: Stage Dream Days. Still waiting on a number of other titles to air before settling on my watch list, but I think I'll be at sticking with these four at least! An idol anime like Re: Stage that doesn't cop out with CG for the performances is always worth a watch, & the magical girl super robots of Granbelm were hand-drawn with similar aplomb!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1325 on: 08 July 2019, 11:32:06 »
Since we're talking about new & upcoming anime, I have watched first episode of Maou-sama / Demon Lord Retry! It is said to be animators' first job and it shows. I'm fan of the Web novel, so I'll stick through with it. Anime has some moments though, like major demon attacking the demon lord (protagonist):
What the hell are you trying to pull?
;D
« Last Edit: 08 July 2019, 12:41:50 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1326 on: 08 July 2019, 12:19:24 »
Still waiting on a number of other titles to air before settling on my watch list, but I think I'll be at sticking with these four at least!
Mmm, i had dropped all of those after a quick look in for first ep ;-)

Other than Kanata no Astra i'm so far sticking with Dr. Stone (for that beard, and almost only that), Maou-sama Retry (for the cigarettes), Sounan desu ka? (for that stinky comment), Dumbbell nan kilo moteru (for... nah, not the steroids), Tejina-senpai (for... i have no idea why, but it's not the fanservice) and somewhat oddly for me Naka no Hito Genome (for being an isekai so bad it kinda parodies a certain isekai parody).

Will probably add DanMachi to that if it's not too obnoxious this time. Possibly Sekai Saikyou - although i remember the manga not quite hitting my tastes for isekai it wasn't as bad an experience as the other two remaining isekai anime this season. Accelerator might be worth a look, but i've already had about enough Index this year.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1327 on: 08 July 2019, 13:41:27 »
Started reading the manga a while ago.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1328 on: 08 July 2019, 14:05:39 »
Started reading the manga a while ago.
For your information, manga cuts whole lot, like visit to Aku's village. Anime has at least that, but it may cut elsewhere.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1329 on: 10 July 2019, 06:54:41 »
The second episode of To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts really gave me a True Grit feeling :)

This may become my favorite show of the season.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1330 on: 12 July 2019, 08:59:36 »
Anyone else got the feeling that they'd really want to see Dumbbell turn into a gender-bent Hajime no Ippo parody with that scene in episode 2 ?

Edit: Time for a new profile picture. Last one was two seasons old.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2019, 09:03:43 by kato »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1331 on: 12 July 2019, 14:42:20 »
Haven't spotted that one yet, what service?

Matti, of the new shows, who is more adorable. Aku or Latina (If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord)?

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1332 on: 12 July 2019, 16:57:21 »
Haven't spotted that one yet, what service?
Funimation.

The author of Dumbbell also did Kengan Asura, a gladiatorial-fighting-themed manga (... the best-selling one in that genre over the last five years) that'll have a 3DCG adaption on Netflix later this month. It takes place in the same universe and there's been a cameo in Dumbbell already.

Kadokawa has also released an official live-action version of the OP video with pro wrestler Reika Saiki, who's also done the same for UchaMaid for them (the video references that even).

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1333 on: 12 July 2019, 18:22:21 »
ep 1 of S2 DanMachi is up. Hope they do the War Game arc justice. They did their best to make Apollo creepy enough xp

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1334 on: 12 July 2019, 21:37:26 »
ep 1 of S2 DanMachi is up. Hope they do the War Game arc justice. They did their best to make Apollo creepy enough xp

Agreed.

I really liked that change of costume for Hestia at the ball (the blue gown). Liked how they did Aiz and Bell dancing. Bell is the star of the show but my top 3 favorite characters are Aiz, Ryu and Mikoto.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1335 on: 15 July 2019, 16:02:23 »
of the new shows, who is more adorable. Aku or Latina (If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord)?
You forgot the third option - Yue from Arifureta...

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1336 on: 16 July 2019, 07:10:03 »
Started watching Record of Grancrest.
No knucklhead shonen heroes.
Okay, most of the female cast still have stripperific outfits, but they aren't just ditzes there for eye candy.

I'm liking this so far.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1337 on: 16 July 2019, 12:32:44 »
Most shows are about 2 episodes in now...

First episode of A Certain Scientific Accelerator dropped. It seems to be set just after Index I. As much as I don't care for the creep at all, I love the ToAru setting, so here I am!

I didn't see anyone mention Cop Craft yet, but if you like old Studio Gonzo anime from the late 90s/early aughts, this is your show! Script.by Full Metal Panic's Shoji Gato, character designs by Ast Exile's Range Murata. Hardboiled modern/fantasy crossover detective story with a bitter police detective teaming up with an otherworldly paladin! Great stuff!

Machikado Mazoku reminds me a bit of Gabriel Dropout, but the cast & humor is a lot more agreeable to me! The magical girl's concern for "Shadow Mistress Yuko" is just great!

Granbelm's plot episode arrived. The short version is that it's robot magical girl Fate/Stay Night. I like all of those things! Looking forward to seeing what Rosa does next, I can't believe we've seen the last of her!

Speaking of Fate, Lord El Melloi's Case Files is off to a great start! By all appearances, this looks to be an modern occult Sherlock Holmes analog, & I'm completely on board for that journey!

Finally, Danmachi's back! Hestia is still bestia! The table is set, now to see where the latest conflict leads!
« Last Edit: 16 July 2019, 17:37:05 by MadCapellan »

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1338 on: 16 July 2019, 14:27:41 »
Cop Craft is interesting. Pseudo-Alien Nation in it's set up, but seems like it has potential.

Granblem adds chibi-like mecha into a F/SN type mix. This could be a interesting show.

About the only other show I'm following this season is Astra Lost in Space. The double-length opener was decent enough. I'm not sure the balance of humor and drama is quite right yet though.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1339 on: 16 July 2019, 17:09:51 »
Cop Craft sounds really interesting, but I really wasn't expecting the paladin to be a moe girl.  It's a bit of a turn off, but the concept sounds cool enough that I'll add it to my watch list.

Feels weird thinking that since my view history lately would suggest moe+anything=win.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1340 on: 16 July 2019, 17:21:26 »
moe+anything=win.

Your viewing history knows what your mind refuses to admit!  ;D

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1341 on: 17 July 2019, 08:57:32 »
You forgot the third option - Yue from Arifureta...

Haven't seen that one, may have to check it out. Any good?

Finally, Danmachi's back! Hestia is still bestia! The table is set, now to see where the latest conflict leads!

Yet, can't wait to see how it turns out. I wonder if it will cover the War Game and the rabbit run in the brothels.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1342 on: 17 July 2019, 09:21:33 »
Granbelm combined magical girls with mecha. It's catnip for me.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1343 on: 17 July 2019, 22:01:48 »
As of 30 minutes ago, NHK reports Kyoto Animation is on fire from a gas explosion, with 8 people seriously injured, & arson suspected. My thoughts are with all Kyoani's artists today - here's hoping everyone comes through! :'(

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1344 on: 17 July 2019, 22:13:40 »
Started watching Record of Grancrest.
No knucklhead shonen heroes.
Okay, most of the female cast still have stripperific outfits, but they aren't just ditzes there for eye candy.

I'm liking this so far.

The primary male character seems to be slightly on the knucklehead side, but at least he's not just charging out to show that he's got the Japanese Spirit every fight.  He isn't truly the protagonist, either.

Also, all the characters who sign up with him actually have their own interests rather than just thinking he's so awesome they have to follow him around.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1345 on: 17 July 2019, 22:42:46 »
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2019/07/7cc0f7f7c6e2-dozens-injured-in-fire-after-man-sprays-liquid-at-kyoto-anime-studio.html

They're now up to 40 wounded, one possible dead.  No further information at this time.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1346 on: 17 July 2019, 22:56:40 »
That is seriously bad news.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1347 on: 18 July 2019, 00:10:20 »
Well at least from this ANN Article, Local Police are stating "Multiple Deaths".
At least they have a suspect in custody. But still...A sad day indeed...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1348 on: 18 July 2019, 00:37:33 »
Just got video of the site from a helicopter, the building's gutted completely.  The fire department's still putting it out as of the time the video was taken, you can see flames inside, but literally every window and door is blown out and smoke & charring from the flames is visible at the top of each opening. 

One person confirmed dead, but there is now breaking word on Kyodo news that ten bodies have been found inside.  No word on who.  The perpetrator is a 41 year old male, in custody, and no further information available.

Kyoani's gone.  Whatever was in that building is ash.

« Last Edit: 18 July 2019, 00:39:35 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #1349 on: 18 July 2019, 02:14:07 »
What in the actual ****...

Jeebus.  Prayers for those people and their families.

Is there something they made that was unusually controversial?  Looking at KyoAni's history of productions I don't see something right off that could even have possibly prompted a fan's backlash, at least not right off.  I know that insane people do things for insane reasons but is there something I'm not aware of that could have prompted this?
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs