Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 161570 times)

Luciora

• Major
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #1350 on: 18 July 2019, 02:18:18 »
Best guess right now is disgruntled current / former employee.  Won't know until they release the suspect's name.

What in the actual ****...

Jeebus.  Prayers for those people and their families.

Is there something they made that was unusually controversial?  Looking at KyoAni's history of productions I don't see something right off that could even have possibly prompted a fan's backlash, at least not right off.  I know that insane people do things for insane reasons but is there something I'm not aware of that could have prompted this?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1351 on: 18 July 2019, 03:37:18 »
Unlikely to be a disgruntled employee but possible.  KyoAni's regarded as the BEST place to work at, they even have a nursery for children of employees on the second floor.

Yes, I know what that means, I'm REALLY ******* trying not to think about it.

23 dead now, though they've confirmed series and film directors Tatsuya Ishihara and Taichi Ishidate are alive. Haven't seen any other names mentioned yet.

Police have not yet identified the arsonist, but they did say he was not a former employee or anyone affiliated with the company.  It looks like it was a deranged fan, then.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2019, 03:51:51 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1352 on: 18 July 2019, 05:40:40 »
I don't even want to believe how bad this is. Some random piece of shit being able to walk up & off so many people & cut a beloved company off at the knees is hard to accept as being possible.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1353 on: 18 July 2019, 08:12:26 »
Well the body count is 25 according to a article on CNN.

Yes, I stated CNN. This has made serious news.

I just can't believe why someone would do this...

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1354 on: 18 July 2019, 08:21:51 »
According to the NHK it's 33. Worst mass murder in Japan post war. This dwarfs the Tokyo sarin attacks. It's the top international story on the BBC.

Rumor is the individual forced his way in at knife point before spraying & igniting a gasoline like substance, then barricaded people in the building. Bystanders reported hearing him yell "You ripped me off! You stole my idea!" Absolutely disgusting that this waste of space decided to take his imagined grievances out on innocent animators & clerks....

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1355 on: 18 July 2019, 08:48:47 »
From my understanding, this is one of three buildings KyoAni had. That said, the building in question is where they trained their staff, and stored their archives. Just a massive blow all around. Hopefully they're able to recover, but there's going to be a lot of psychological scarring here. Just a horrible, senseless waste.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1356 on: 18 July 2019, 09:00:07 »
The archives are a serious loss, after the staff.  The two shows of note I really enjoyed from them were Full Metal Panic Fumoffu and Amagi Brilliant Park. 

From my understanding, this is one of three buildings KyoAni had. That said, the building in question is where they trained their staff, and stored their archives. Just a massive blow all around. Hopefully they're able to recover, but there's going to be a lot of psychological scarring here. Just a horrible, senseless waste.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1357 on: 18 July 2019, 10:25:22 »
Yasuhiro Takemoto, director of Lucky Star, Amagi Brilliant Park, Hyoka & FMP is still missing.  :'(

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1358 on: 18 July 2019, 11:05:58 »
This is tragically sad. Sick and deranged people exist everywhere and there's just no way to predict when they do crap. God rest those souls that were lost.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1359 on: 18 July 2019, 11:06:30 »
What a horrific attack, I am hoping for the best but this is so bad.  :'(

Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1360 on: 18 July 2019, 12:33:03 »
It'll be a while before we have names of the lost.  The police, from what I read, don't release those at all; they're only given out by the doctors who declare the identity of the deceased after their own investigation.  I'm sure that once there's a final list they'll make it public, but until then it's a wait.

Unfortunately considering the immediately local nature of the event, that it's not widespread, and that everyone HAS been accounted for in the building, anyone currently on a 'missing' list is very likely not to be on a 'survivor' list.  Unfortunately that list includes Yasuhiro Takemoto, director of most of their biggest shows inlcuding Full Metal Panic sequels and the Haruhi series & film, and took over from Yutaka Yamamoto after he was fired from Lucky Star.  Yamamoto's harsh comments on the fire in reply to Makoto Shinkai's concern have...strongly angered thousands of fans, shall we say.

Sentai Filmworks has the gofundme set up to support the victims; they're past $800,000 already in donations.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1361 on: 18 July 2019, 12:49:31 »
Unfortunately considering the immediately local nature of the event, that it's not widespread, and that everyone HAS been accounted for in the building, anyone currently on a 'missing' list is very likely not to be on a 'survivor' list. 

Indeed. Kyoani's twitter account for FREE! has announced the cancellation of next year's movie, which leads me to fear the worst for Futoshi Nishiya as well.

Yamamoto's harsh comments on the fire in reply to Makoto Shinkai's concern have...strongly angered thousands of fans, shall we say.

As if we needed proof there isn't a single situation Yamakan wouldn't try to make about himself, there he was being his regular, disgusting self.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1362 on: 18 July 2019, 14:45:07 »
Indeed. Kyoani's twitter account for FREE! has announced the cancellation of next year's movie, which leads me to fear the worst for Futoshi Nishiya as well.
Has that been confirmed?  Last I'd heard they canceled an upcoming announcement that was supposed to be later this week, but that the movie itself had not been.  From what I understand, this was their primary animation building, so a cancellation of the movie may simply be because of lost work and not Nishiya's death.

They've announced 12 men, 20 women, and one unspecified are among the dead.  I still haven't seen a list of missing yet.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1364 on: 18 July 2019, 15:43:22 »
Oh I believe you; I'd just heard initially some confusion about the movie and early on that only a PR thing had been canceled.  This doesn't surprise me, in all honesty.  Do we know what else Kyoani was working on at the time?

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #1365 on: 18 July 2019, 15:47:34 »
It is a horrible, horrible thing. Tragic and grotesque. Thoughts and prayers.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1366 on: 18 July 2019, 16:23:51 »
Oh I believe you; I'd just heard initially some confusion about the movie and early on that only a PR thing had been canceled.  This doesn't surprise me, in all honesty.  Do we know what else Kyoani was working on at the time?

In addition to the Free film, they should be working on two Violet Evergarden films.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1367 on: 18 July 2019, 16:58:18 »
One Violet Evergarden film and one Hibike Euphonium film. Plus a OVA for Baja no Studio (anime project based on KyoAni's mascot) which was supposed to release in November.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1368 on: 18 July 2019, 17:20:41 »
I'm really sorry this happened.

Anymore it's a case of; "Anywhere, any time for any reason."
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1369 on: 18 July 2019, 17:26:39 »
WGN reports the studio had received several death threats over the last few years.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1370 on: 18 July 2019, 17:44:09 »
That's nothing particularly special for animation studios in Japan.

Gainax had death threats sprayed as graffiti on their front door a couple times at some point.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #1371 on: 18 July 2019, 21:17:10 »
That is horrible news.  :'(  Thoughts and prayers for the staff and their loved ones.  Can't wrap my head around how someone can be so broken as to do something so monstrous like that.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1372 on: 18 July 2019, 21:26:51 »
That's nothing particularly special for animation studios in Japan.

Gainax had death threats sprayed as graffiti on their front door a couple times at some point.
And a long history of harassment and threats to the mangaka for Kuroko no Basuke, and threats against Aya Hirano because she got married...there's a splinter of anime fandom that makes Modern Internet Star Wars Fans look cheerful, well adjusted, and completely functional.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1373 on: 18 July 2019, 21:47:23 »
All fandoms have a section of fans that just take it too far to the point of thinking they own the work or artist by being so overly obsessed with the work done.  As soon as some change occurs, it's their perceived duty to fix it according to their own view.  Sometimes it can end with a broken heart and swearing off the material other times it goes the extreme to stalking, extreme threats and violence.

It's just more noticable in a smaller more homogeneous society.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1374 on: 19 July 2019, 06:01:09 »
and threats against Aya Hirano because she got married...

The unacceptable behavior against Hirano was completely real, but to my knowledge Aya Hirano has never been married...

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1375 on: 19 July 2019, 09:06:55 »
And in not unexpected news, the Fire Force anime has gone on hiatus. I wont be surprised if Promare gets delayed, either.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-07-19/fire-force-anime-halts-friday-planned-airing-streaming-of-3rd-episode/.149134

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1376 on: 19 July 2019, 09:32:45 »
Yeah, that was to be expected.

Japanese media is reporting one patient has died in hospital overnight. Death toll is now 34.  :'(

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1377 on: 19 July 2019, 14:30:11 »
...there's a splinter of anime fandom that makes Modern Internet Star Wars Fans look cheerful, well adjusted, and completely functional.
Those people would have been mentally unwell regardless if they were fan or not.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1378 on: 19 July 2019, 18:03:12 »
The unacceptable behavior against Hirano was completely real, but to my knowledge Aya Hirano has never been married...
I might be thinking of someone else then, but I swear that's what I'd read.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Has there been any others who've checked in as alive on Twitter?  r/anime's been collating everything they can but the list of known survivors and known missing is still pretty small.  Of the former, Naoko Yamada, Tatsuya Ishihara, Miku Kadowaki, and Yoshida Reiko are confirmed safe.  There's questions on Eisaku Kawanami and Kazumi Ikeda, as well as Takeda Ishidate; no official word on any of them.  And still status unknown at all is Yasuhiro Takemoto.

Apparently they were expecting visitors or a tour group for the day, hence the building was left wide open so that people could come in and see the place.  Kind of an open-house day, showing off what they do.

And in not unexpected news, the Fire Force anime has gone on hiatus. I wont be surprised if Promare gets delayed, either.
Still in production, though; they just announced it hits Toonami on July 27.  So they'll be producing it for the US market, but giving it a delay in airing in Japan apparently.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1379 on: 27 July 2019, 10:37:23 »
Tried the first episode of Cop Craft.

In addition to being annoyed by loli content, I found the brutal storm of Buddy Cop Movie cliches tiring.  If they had played it more tongue in cheek it would have been one thing, but as it was they were playing everything as seriously as possible without any acknowledgement of how stereotypical everything is.

Also watched Rising of the Shield Hero.  It's refreshing to see a shonen protagonist who isn't suffering from a terminal case of stupidity, but RPG mechanics Iseki stories are getting overdone.  Also joked with some friends about how much more interesting it would be to see someone who winds up in one of those worlds decide that it's past time to tear down the feudal society and install a modern representative government in its place.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register