Author Topic: 2 Standard Mediums vs 1 Medium Pulse Laser  (Read 12577 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 2 Standard Mediums vs 1 Medium Pulse Laser
« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2012, 14:48:39 »
I would also add ERML more reach plus you still have two. If your rolls are bad nice to have another shot.

With the ERML, you're back to six-of-one-half-a-dozen-of-the-other.  The difference is heat burden.

ERML: 5 heat,
MPL:4 Heat,
ML: 3 Heat.

The range differences in order:

ERML:
ML
MPL

The ER outperforms on range, but is worse on heat than either the ML or MPL, the Standard ML outperforms the MPL on heat (one point less) AND Range, and weighs less than the MPL, but only exactly the same amount, as the heatier and longer-ranged ERML.

Now, in this era of DHS, most of the time if you can fit a standard medium, you're just as good taking an ERML, except on vees, but in either case you're paying twice the mass if you want the shorter-ranged MPL, which, if you ARE constrained by heat capacity, you're going to pay more heat to use, than if you use a Stanard Medium in its place.

Really, the only general-purposes advantage the Pulser has over the Standard comes about against infantry-and it's not like you can't mount a MG that will kill more of the little bastards for the saved tonnage, is it (assuming crit spaces), or a Flamer, which does infantry barbecue AND doesn't have that irritating explosive ammunition issue.

Really, the MPL is one of those weapons where you're trying to soak up the extra tonnes because you ran out of crit spaces by loading down on the Endo, Ferro, and DHS until you're short spaces for weapons.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Re: 2 Standard Mediums vs 1 Medium Pulse Laser
« Reply #31 on: 28 May 2012, 17:29:41 »
I'll put my vote in for the standard ML as well.  On anything but very fast jumpers I never get into a good postition to take advantage of the better TNs at range 2 or less, and even then, I've done better with a Nightsky refitted with std MLs & LLs than the pulse-version.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<