Author Topic: (Answered) Artillery Cannons in Aerospace Combat  (Read 1194 times)

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
(Answered) Artillery Cannons in Aerospace Combat
« on: 30 January 2022, 17:00:21 »
The TO errata page 50 says:
Quote from: Artillery Cannons
Aerospace units employing Artillery Cannons against other aerospace units use them as autocannons,
I believe this implies that they deliver all damage to the same location (rather than 4 5-point hits).  Correct?  This isn't quite clear since RACs and UACs deliver multiple hits while vanilla ACs deliver a single hit.
and cannot deliver damage effects into adjacent hexes.
I believe there is a RAW/RAI disagreement here.  The wording implies that they deliver damage effects to other units in the same hex since that is the norm for artillery cannons and not altered by this wording.  However, I've been advised in the past that this is not the intended reading.  Do artillery cannons as used by aerospace units against aerospace units deliver damage to all units in the same hex?  (And shouldn't this be clarified in the errata?)
However, the damage type is still considered AE.
I believe this only has implications with respect to a target's armor, so laser-reflective armor (for example) takes double damage.  An alternative, is that this is also meant to emphasize that all units in the same hex take damage.  Which is correct?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Artillery Cannons in Aerospace Combat
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2022, 14:33:27 »
Damage is applied as a single hit to one location.  There is no damage from the attack to other units.

AE only affects armor types and other damage modifiers.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
Re: (Research) Artillery Cannons in Aerospace Combat
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2022, 15:59:19 »
Damage is applied as a single hit to one location.  There is no damage from the attack to other units.

AE only affects armor types and other damage modifiers.
Thanks Xotl. 

I'd suggest tweaking the errata a bit, because "cannot deliver damage effects into adjacent hexes" implies the wrong things about damage to other units in the same hex.  In terms of wording, something like:
Aerospace units employing Artillery Cannons against other aerospace units use them as autocannons, delivering only a single hit to a single unit, although with AE-type damage.
Seems more concise, precise, and consistent with your answers.

Register