Author Topic: Solahma Assault Battle Armor  (Read 2895 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Solahma Assault Battle Armor
« on: 03 February 2018, 19:11:02 »
Type: Solahma Assault Battle Armor
Introduction: 3120

Overview
   The Solahma Assault BA derives its name from Solahma units, which are mostly infantry units consisting out of old or sickly Clan warriors. This fate can happen for a number of reasons, from old age, sickness or suffering from a permanent injury. In such cases they are deemed to be no longer able to properly use valuable battlefield equipment. The transition between being a true warrior and being washed out to a solahma infantry unit is especially difficult for Mechwarriors. Most of them will do anything in their power to prevent it from happening or find some way to preserve their dignity. In 3120 the Sea Foxes introduced a new BA design to help with the latter option.
   Inspired by the Surat BA refits and the Marauder BA design, the end product was the Solahma Assault Battle Armor. It is currently unknown if the development of this design was some sort of study project or an actual official project.
   By experts it is regarded as the smallest member of the Mad Cat family, even though it shares some styling features with the Marauder IIC. The missiles launcher is styled to look like the launchers of Mad Cat Mk II Enhanced, with the launch tubes divided between the sides of the ammo bin. While the rest of the BA seem to suggest a derivative mix of Mad Cat and Marauder IIC.
   The appearance seems to give credit to the theory that it has been designed for use by former Mechwarriors. This theory is reinforced by its control setup and seating, as they are nearly identical to that of a Mech, but without requiring a neural helmet interface. This allows even Mechwarriors that have suffered severe neural feedback injuries to easily control this Battle Armor. However in the eyes of many Clanners this Solahma BA has a worse reputation then a Surat BA, as is a “Pretend Mech” in their eyes. But is one of the few remaining options for Solahma warriors with permanent debilitating injuries to continue piloting.

Capabilities
   Like with the designs that inspired the Solahma BA, it only uses relative simple technologies. The armor is only Clan standard plate. The chassis is build according to Inner Sphere guidelines and as such doesn't include any Harjel systems, saving weight and cost. The movement system uses only the bare minimum of myomer, making the BA as fast as the conventional infantry it is commonly partnered with.
   Such design sacrifices does not mean that it is poorly designed, on the contrary, tests have indicated that it is extremely well developed. It is very stable and the cockpit is very comfortable, making this BA very easy to pilot. It can also mount over a metric ton to weapons and equipment. While having armor thick enough to survive a hit from a Heavy Large Laser.
   The Solahma does not have different loadouts as it lacks modular mounts for its main weapons, instead it is offered in multiple versions. Another unusual feature on this BA are the deployable basic manipulators in the arms. These are suitable for grabbing small items or even opening doors.
   The standard version uses a SRM-6, with seven salvos, in a split launcher. Each arm mounts an AP Gauss Rifle and an anti-personnel mount. For this variant most Troopers use ER Laser Rifles in the AP mounts, so that they can always fire all their weapons. The last of remaining weight was used for mission equipment space in the cockpit.
The second variant uses a 4-tube LRM launcher, but has a very large ammo bin, capable of supplying twelve salvos. Each arm mounts a Support PPC with extended power packs. The AP mounts for this variant comes with free Pulse Laser Rifles. The second variant uses an Advanced SRM-6, capable of launching 8 salvos. Each arm uses a Micro Pulse Laser that is backed up by AP mount. The most common choices for the AP weapons for this variant are Gauss SMG or Automatic Rifles.

Deployment
   Most Clans don't actively purchase these BA for their solahma warriors. What happens most of the time is that a garrison officer decides to make an unofficial deal with visiting CSF representatives for  Solahma BA. These will then be used by the officer as incentives for good behavior, for repaying favors or for making the troops compete for the suits. There have also been rumors that some former Mechwarriors have used hidden assets and wealth to make personal deals.
   The Council of Six is tolerating the existence of this design as it seems to provide a stabilizing influence on the solahma formations. As such it is most commonly seen in solahma garrison formations. Where they directly support conventional infantry forces on foot or are transported with them in APCs. They have shown to be quite effective in forming roadblocks or ambush positions. Low quantities can be found on the black market, but these ones are often customized.

Notable Unit
   Little Widow: In all the combat that the suit was a part it, it has always ended with the death of the operating trooper and their target, while leaving itself in a recoverable state. Most combat personnel don't want to use 'cursed' equipment that seem to guarantee death, but for solahma infantry formations this isn't a problem but desirable. After the 'Little Widow' is repaired, the local solahma troops will often fight for it, these fights have turned deadly quite often as well.

Type: Solahma
Manufacturer: Clan Sea Fox
Primary Factory: n/a
Equipment Rating: F/X-X-X-D
Tech Base: Mixed (Advanced)
Chassis Type: Humanoid
Weight Class: Assault
Maximum Weight: 2,000 kg
Battle Value:
   90 (SRM)
   75 (LRM)
   98 (ASRM)
Swarm/Leg Attack/Mechanized/AP: No/No/No/Yes
Notes: Features the following Design Quirks: Easy to Pilot, Bad Reputation.

Code: [Select]
Type/Model:    Solahma BA
Equipment:                                          Slots    Mass
Chassis Type:  Assault Class Humanoid (IS)              0       550
Motive System: Ground Movement (1 MP)                 0         0
Armor Type:    16 Points Standard                     0       400
Manipulators:
  Left Arm:    Basic Manipulator                      0         0
  Right Arm:   Basic Manipulator                      0         0

SRM
Weapons and Equipment                Loc     Shots  Slots    Mass
SRM 6                                Body       7     5       630
AP Gauss Rifle*                      LA        20     2       200
AP Gauss Rifle*                      RA        20     2       200
Anti-Personnel Weapon Mount          LA               1         5
Anti-Personnel Weapon Mount          RA               1         5
Mission Equipment (10kg Capy)        Body             1         0

LRM
LRM 4                                Body     12     5       407
Support PPC                          LA        14     2       240
Support PPC                          RA        14     2       240

ASRM
Advanced SRM 6                       Body       8     6       690
Micro Pulse Laser                    LA        68     2       175
Micro Pulse Laser                    RA        68     2       175
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Solahma Assault Battle Armor
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2018, 04:41:03 »
I really like this :) Great design and background too :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2018, 05:49:35 »
I really like this :) Great design and background too :)
Thanks, I always wanted to make a mini-mech BA, but I never got the right inspiration until last Wednesday.

I have kept the variants relatively MadCat like. But with 1050 kg, it is possible to use loadouts such as 3x ERSL.
Which is the reason why I made a reference to customized black market versions. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2018, 18:11:53 »
I really like the back story..  all of that training cost money... so the clans are protecting there early investment in that training of those mech jocks for a few more months.  they could even sell to the IS with out any issues. 

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2018, 03:42:55 »
so basically a Kanuzuchi with missles?
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2018, 13:55:13 »
so basically a Kanuzuchi with missles?
There are similarities, they are both excellent roadblocks, and they both use missiles & direct-fire weapons.
The armor on the Solahma is a little bit thicker, but the biggest difference is that it puts out more damage and does that longer then the Kanazuchi.
This makes it something that can't be ignored after two turns.

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2018, 16:39:23 »
Just took a look at these. As the Kanazuchi is an old favorite (though rarely used by myself) I'm instantly liking it. Well done. I'd gladly order a grip of those PPC/LRM-4 toting models, please!

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Register