Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 95890 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Too soon, I still have minis left to paint from the last thing. Someone please ask them to stop the shipments for another few weeks. I’ve got a pretty good assembly line going now, so I’m confident I can get the rest cranked out before the end of July.

you guys paint minis?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Too soon, I still have minis left to paint from the last thing. Someone please ask them to stop the shipments for another few weeks. I’ve got a pretty good assembly line going now, so I’m confident I can get the rest cranked out before the end of July.

I'm sure everyone will understand.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

klarg1

• Captain
you guys paint minis?

That is the lie I tell myself at 3am, yes.

I am currently planning to have my entire collection painted and ready to present as tribute to emperor Stefan Amaris I when he takes power in a bit less than 800 years.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2024, 16:25:35 by klarg1 »

Wolf72

• Captain
1 in 51? that does seem too high of a chance.

and what some others corrected on, those Salvage Boxes were all bonus, none purchased separately.

If I don't get the ones I want I will simply just buy the force pack.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?

I've got unpainted minis I bought 20 years ago.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Charistoph

• Major

I have some acquired over the last 20 years, but all the ones without paint, or only primer, are games no one plays around here.

For Battletech, I'm doing 17 single bases of IWM Battle Armor I'm in the middle of.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Teejay75

• Corporal
Looks like Quartermaster just announced that they've just started the packaging and shipping process.
Welp, looks like I'm going to be in the later rounds of US shipping. My address still hasn't been locked. Fiddlesticks and other comments.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin

. . . oh, it WAS that long ago . . . some of those Phoenix & '67 designs I STILL have not tackled.

And no address email either, but I was one of the address changes a few months ago.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
If you don't have unpainted minis are you even a collector of miniatures??
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List

He makes an excellent point

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant

I have mechs that I REALLY want to paint but I haven't been able to force myself to take them out
of the original packages.
I mean I REALLY want to free them from their blister and box prisons but they aren't making them anymore.

Part of the beauty of the new plastics replacing most of the old line is that it helps relieve my itch a little.

The ones that aren't being replaced are the ones that are still calling to me the loudest.
I.......I ......I gotta go open something!!!

Noshrok Grimskull

• Private
I have (at least) one unopened paint bottle that I bought over 20 years ago.  :laugh:
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with!" - Steamdriven

thedancingjoker

• Warrant Officer
Has anyone said how long the process of shipping things out will take? I assume days is out of the question given the numbers but are we talking a week worth of shipping stuff out, several weeks? Months?

Greatclub

• Captain
QML have taken weeks before with smaller kickstarters. A month wouldn't much surprise me. Two would.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer

That sort of scans, as I am definitely wargamer, not a collector, so my pile of shame is very small. The only significant (i.e. not odds-and-sods collected over 35 years) models I have are ones I never planned to to use for wargamers.

For BattleTech specifically is just the 6 mechs from the last time around I elected not to place into existing lances untill this round came through.

We're definitely in the toss-up whether shipping to the UK comes through next week (while I'm away...) or the period will be long enough to catch the nex holiday... I consider the chances of it arriving during the majority period when I'm actually to be almsot trivial...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
QML (in the US) is beginning to pack & ship. Does this mean the international hubs are also packing & shipping?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
QML (in the US) is beginning to pack & ship. Does this mean the international hubs are also packing & shipping?

Given we have not heard anything different since last Kickstarter updated on June 20th indicating while US had everything that the international hubs were waiting on items and they'd have better estimates by next update, best to assume US and Canada only just starting.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
it also depends on what you consider painted.
A can of base color like green for a tank, or grey for a aerofighter?
or
The at least 3 different colors on it?
or
Painted like a unit or group you like?
or
Golden Demon rated paint job?

Most of mine at least has a color on it, not grey or pewter. Most of my mechs have at least 3 colors on it.
It don't matter as long as your having fun, that is the bottom line.

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • In loving memory
it also depends on what you consider painted.
A can of base color like green for a tank, or grey for a aerofighter?
or
The at least 3 different colors on it?
or
Painted like a unit or group you like?
or
Golden Demon rated paint job?

Interesting take, though I doubt many of us would consider a "golden demon rated" paint job as the main denominator. Sur as hell couldn't qualify myself, even with my best jobs.

I'd say...good enough to be pleasing to look at on the table amidst their brethren and the scenery? This will then differ greatly through scale, "type of warfare" and personnal preferences...I don't mind having a tank with just base colors for hull and tracks, but I can't suffer a plane without all the colors...and infantry and artillery just don't cut it without all their colors. Scale would play a role also I suppose if one would use many scales for the same time period. For 'mechs, I'll admit that at least half of those I have painted have seen the black of their actuators relegated to "another time" and live quite well with this.

Also, can't keep from commenting on pile of shame... I used to be pretty responsible, then last year I totally lost it. While reality is brigning me back this year (and I'm hoping the merc KS will definitely close the circle), I can say I understand now.

Used not to. Used not to grasp why people would say they had a "pile of shame". Actually thought it meant those were miniatures that they weren't happy with.

But now? I'm amazed, AMAZED, at how easily a wargamer and/or miniature collector can find himself with huge stocks of miniatures that sit in a closet, waiting for their moment of glory. In two years, counting the merc KS stuff, I've accumulated enough stuff to last me...well i'M estimating 6 years counting a bit more scenery I need to make (really need a 28mm log cabin, praised be popsicle sticks).

Of course I rationalize it by telling me that's just 3 years of netflix with a good enough internet connection to use it, but still, three times the time to build it then the time it took to accumulate it.

Another good thing of CBT (and "associated" rule sets) becomes evident in this: the minis are good looking enough to be put on the table without paint and without shame.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2024, 18:26:20 by butchbird »
My empire of ash

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
Interesting take, though I doubt many of us would consider a "golden demon rated" paint job as the main denominator. Sur as hell couldn't qualify myself, even with my best jobs.

Golden Demon maybe not the perfect rating, I sure can't paint like that. But a miniature that you try your very best and hope its something you can show off to your friends or your game group. I go into trying to paint every once in a while, and after a couple of times of getting defeted but still try.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
The only rating that counts: As long as you think it looks cool.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
Golden Demon and Workshop has been laregly responsible for setting a bad president, that all mimiatures must be painted to a high standard, which as some folk have noticed, discourages new people. Mind you, even Camo Specs is also somewhat responsible. This seems to be true of a lot of painting youtubes too (though I fully confess i haven't watched all that many). But, of course the problem is, all of those folk are, if not actually professional painters by trade, people from whom painting IS as important at the rest of the hobby if not more so. There never seems to be much around for teaching people to paint to an acceptable standard using all the dirty, quick tricks that are best for beginners. (And for calibrating expectations that no, it's more than likely the beginner will NEVER get to Golden Demon standard, not even if you do it fo 40 years. In the same way most of can't draw or write to top standards.)

There seems to be a lot of talk about stuff like wet blending (which, speaking as someone who is not one of the aforementioned crowd, I consider An Advanced Technique that I don't use), but not a lot about dry brushing, or other dirty tricks. (Like how you don't actually have to gem the cockpits like Camospecs with a lot of wet blending, but can get 90% of the effect by just painting a line of a lighter colour instead.) Or using 0.1mm or 0.3mm fine liners for doing at least blask detail or wording or stuff. Hell, dry brushing seems to be a dirty word in most painting stuff I've seen for a long time (everything seems to be blending, washes, glazes and contrast paints), and yet it's primarily how I do all my painting - base colour and a couple of other layers.

Ironically, my painting (which used to be a standing joke ("dipping"), but my mates eventually have had to call good nowadays - after 35 years or practise and thousands of models) jumped up a notch as simply as in one issue of, of all places GW's Lord of the Rings magazine thingy that came with the free figures, which just had a table showing you what Citidel colours to shade which which other colours. More useful than literally every painting article in a every White Dwarf I'd ever had to that time. (Though I'd stipped getting that stuff years prior, admittedly.)

It's almost completely useless now, of course, since they changed all the colours, but I still use the colour-alikes from Vallejo which are close enough

I throughly laud CGL, incidently, for the policy of not only proxies, but in using unpainted figures. While the latter is something I've not done in decades, it is important to keep that as an acceptable option.

thedancingjoker

• Warrant Officer
Camospecs has actually put out a large number of low-skill requirement youtube tutorials.  I have used their Alpine scheme a bunch and the most advanced technique they use there is drybrushing.  And some of them peak out at the use of a contrast paint. 

While my painting isn't anything spectacular I really enjoy pushing myself to get better at it and understand why the photos / videos that get circulated the most are of high quality, as folks want to share their besst work. 

All that being said everyone should only paint as much as they want.  if they are happy with grey plastic, then more power to them, I'm not here to tell anyone how to enjoy the hobby.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Camospecs has actually put out a large number of low-skill requirement youtube tutorials. 

Maybe they should put links to these on the Camospecs site. The tutorials on the site are almost unintelligible to me, referring to techniques with no explanations.

And a lesson from the plastic modelling community - the "Strategic Styrene Reserve." The SSR is your pile of unbuilt model kits. You can't die with kits unpainted, so a healthy SSR means a long life! :)

For BT, we can always talk about "Magic [Davion/ComStar/etc] Warehouses", no?

I'm surprised at the 'prepainted' minis - the Kerensky Orion is only 15% or so painted, with the majority of it the colour of the plastic it's cast in. And the details - grey weapons & missile plates, orange cockpit, metallic blue lasers, and (of all things) some panel lines done manually in black with a very thin brush - strike me as more labour-intensive than a simple base/wash/drybrush. But I suppose labour costs weren't excessive for Liya, and the mini does look good. Will be interesting to see how the other 'prepaints' come out.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
 :off:
Please start a new thread on painting if you want to continue that discussion.  This is the Kickstarter thread.

MarauderD

• Major
Speaking of the KS:  I’m on a family vacation for the next couple days.  We still haven’t heard officially in an update that the Mercs KS has started shipping, right?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Speaking of the KS:  I’m on a family vacation for the next couple days.  We still haven’t heard officially in an update that the Mercs KS has started shipping, right?

QML have posted to say they've begun shipping, and people have recieved shipping notices and manifests.  So if you haven't got a shipping notice you're probably OK for a few days at least.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
:off:
Please start a new thread on painting if you want to continue that discussion.  This is the Kickstarter thread.
That reminds me.
I need to go pick up at least 5 more cans of spray primer at my FLGS along with some clearcoat.
We are getting close enough to the KS that I need to be ready. I also need to start planning out who
is gonna be painted what.
That's a REAL measure of excitement for the KS right there.

We are SO close that it's time to pick up related supplies. Makes me wonder how much FLGSs will see a rise in
related supplies sales and I wonder if they'll know why.
I encourage everyone to tell their  FLGS what game's KS they are buying supplies for!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
I just hope I get my stuff before I leave for Gencon.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
Just got the email. MY ORDER HAS SHIPPED!