Author Topic: Metal Mini Discussion  (Read 7461 times)

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
Metal Mini Discussion
« on: 14 June 2019, 06:05:27 »
When can we expect them to come out in Metal? :D

Mechs need to be made out of metal, darn it!

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
Re: Metal Mini Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2019, 06:43:23 »
I agree, but in this case I will make an exception.

My unseen Marauder fell apart and I lost parts of it during moves while in the Navy. I was getting ready to kit bash one to get a similar look to this one. But I am sure it would not look as nice, so I will wait and pick up the packs.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2019, 07:16:41 »
When can we expect them to come out in Metal? :D

Mechs need to be made out of metal, darn it!

Disagree completely.

I love the fine folks at IWM, but the more plastic mechs, the better. They're cheaper, easier to mod if you want to, easier to take right out of the box and prime and paint if you want to, and they come with their own base.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2019, 07:28:22 »
Disagree completely.

I love the fine folks at IWM, but the more plastic mechs, the better. They're cheaper, easier to mod if you want to, easier to take right out of the box and prime and paint if you want to, and they come with their own base.

Also these models are phenomenal.  I don't understand what I could even complain about.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2019, 07:56:20 by Gigastrike »

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2019, 07:31:43 »
Disagree completely.

...and so much more robust in regards to holding paint during the rigours of gaming and transporting...and also fall apart much less often that multi-part metal mini's do. I've got lots of metal miniatures, and will continue to buy metal miniatures to supplement collections where I need to, however given a choice between high quality plastic and metal, I'll choose the former every time.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2019, 08:29:55 »

Why not both?

I prefer metal myself, but when we had a campaign going for a year, I liked using plastics because I could hand those off to people and barely care if they're mishandled. Print plastic, keep metal an option.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2019, 10:37:51 »
I prefer plastic over metal: easier to handle, transport and paint IMO. Plus it holds up the rigors of playing the game better. My only wish was the plastics can unassembled. I understand why they come assembled in the boxes so people can just pull them out and play but I would love a option to come in pieces so I can tailor them without having to break them apart. Just  minor thing when comparing to metal  8)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2019, 11:04:35 »
At least one of them is already in metal, albeit as a GenCon 2018 limited release :P

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2019, 11:06:16 »
I'd much prefer plastic over metal when given a choice, although both have their merits:

Plastic: Easier in general to work with, especially in assembly (and since BT plastics are one piece/pre-assembled [barring a couple of exceptions], this isn't even an issue), holds gesso better (I find that I have to do a lot less touchup when priming a plastic mini as opposed to a metal), more resilient to damage from drops or falls due to them being lighter and made of materials that are more impact-tolerant

Metal: Often gets crisper castings (though the newer plastics are mitigating this issue  :thumbsup: ), weightier and not as easily knocked over, multi-part castings are easier to pose for variety (try as I might, I can't get the hang of Worktroll's boiling-water-and-exacto-knife method of cutting and reposing plastics without them looking battle damaged and/or being commissions from Jack the Ripper ::) )

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2019, 11:09:35 »
That brick on the right is supposed to be a Wasp?!  ???

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2019, 11:46:22 »
multi-part castings are easier to pose for variety (try as I might, I can't get the hang of Worktroll's boiling-water-and-exacto-knife method of cutting and reposing plastics without them looking battle damaged and/or being commissions from Jack the Ripper ::) )

I just cut at the seams and joints, I only have 2 of the new ones and so I am not hacking them up.  I need the GoAC box to come back in.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2019, 12:42:55 »
That brick on the right is supposed to be a Wasp?!  ???

He’s been lifting fueled by revenge since 1996. I’ve heard rumors of canopian steroids as well but that’s third hand information

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2019, 12:45:02 »
I'm quite satisfied by the detail on these that I'd happily mix metal and plastic. *However*, when I base the mini (I usually make and bake out of sculpy), I fully intend to embed weights in the clay so that they have a similar kind of heft when lifting them. Something like fender washers or similar.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2019, 12:46:46 »
Well, there is a posted pic out there somewhere, where the poster joked we have an armored and endo skeleton version of the wasp :P

Kargush

• Sergeant
  • Grenades cost extra
« Reply #14 on: 14 June 2019, 12:47:47 »
Plastic all the way. Metal is the past, and should increasingly stay there.
Buy'ce gal, buy'ce tal
Vebor'ad ures aliit
Mhi draar baat'i meg'parjii'se
Kote lo'shebs'ul narit.

4th Donegal Guards
7th Sword of Light
1st Canopian Cuirassiers

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2019, 12:51:46 »
I'm pretty sure IWM (and their multiple fan funding threads) will disagree with your there...

Kargush

• Sergeant
  • Grenades cost extra
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2019, 12:52:34 »
I'm pretty sure IWM (and their multiple fan funding threads) will disagree with your there...
We still have enthusiastic flintlock shooters and even hunters. Yet no-one is taking on to the battlefield these days.
Buy'ce gal, buy'ce tal
Vebor'ad ures aliit
Mhi draar baat'i meg'parjii'se
Kote lo'shebs'ul narit.

4th Donegal Guards
7th Sword of Light
1st Canopian Cuirassiers

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2019, 12:55:18 »
I dunno about a big range of plastics unless 3D printing becomes affordably viable but I feel like the Greatest Hits™️ should be readily available. I’m always weary of Kickstarter because of all the nightmare stories (especially Robotech) but if this new effort proves successful in execution, I could see myself backing two to three additional packs per year if they offered the opportunity

Tbf we who back the iwm projects are a fairly small audience putting up under $1000 for something they know isn’t ever going to be a big seller. It’s profoundly generous of IWM to even go through with the process.

With pewter getting more expensive and 3D printing creeping toward viability, it’s only a matter of time

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2019, 12:55:40 »
He’s been lifting fueled by revenge since 1996. I’ve heard rumors of canopian steroids as well but that’s third hand information

With and Without armor :P

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2019, 12:58:51 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2019, 13:02:13 »
I still hold out hope for the fear of lead to fade into history (where it also belongs).  I think the economics of lead vs. plastic are significantly different than pewter vs. plastic.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2019, 13:04:22 »
And now that I can see NeonKnight's picture... isn't that a Valkyrie on the right of the latest one??  It looks like an LRM-10 is in the right torso...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2019, 13:06:20 »
Valkyrie was in the first one. The newest is a PP wasp. It’s an RL 10

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2019, 13:07:53 »
Ah, an RL-10 makes a lot more sense, thanks!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2019, 13:15:36 »
And now that I can see NeonKnight's picture... isn't that a Valkyrie on the right of the latest one??  It looks like an LRM-10 is in the right torso...

From IRON WIND METALS:

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6767

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 14 June 2019, 13:28:18 »
Heh... the funny thing is that an RL-10 weighs less than the SRM-2, so I'd think that variant actually has MORE armor...  ;D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #26 on: 14 June 2019, 13:33:41 »
(try as I might, I can't get the hang of Worktroll's boiling-water-and-exacto-knife method of cutting and reposing plastics without them looking battle damaged and/or being commissions from Jack the Ripper ::) )

Don't use exactos, or those break-off blade knives - they're too light, the blade flexes, and it's harder to control cutting. Try a Stanley knife

And consider a razor saw

I confess I ignore the handle, I prefer the direct control. With the stanley, make sure you have no flesh in the line of cutting (pro tip! We bleed inside over our minis, keep it there ;) ), and use a firm rocking action. With the razor saw, just pull it back & forth.

If the blade has any flex in it, that's where I find my problems starting. Stanley knives should be in any hardware store, most hobby stores will have razor saws.

Plastic vs. metal? Plastics are just so much easier. Metal multi-part? Some are intelligently designed to be easy - the resculpt Uller is a great one. But the main culprits IMHO are poorly thought out tiny contact points, and multi-part legs. I'll use the reseen Archer as a great example of this done well (mainly) - feet, legs and lower torso one piece, in a dynamic pose, upper torso & arms separate, so you can pose however you want without major hassle. The only downside are the pestilential missile covers, and that one lump on the back which is separate. Bad? The reseen Thud - multi-part legs which are irrelevant because the feet on the base prevents any actual posing, plus rigid arms.

Executive summary: plastic, I can paint right away, or mod to my hearts content if I want to. Metal, I may be forced to spend much time assembling, and modding can be surprisingly hard even with multi-parts - eg. I just modded a Shadow Cat to running mode over the last week, only to find the upper torso no longer sits on the lower :(

Reality? Plastic for 'core' minis, IWM continues to facilitate a wider range not cost-effective for plastic. We get choice.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 14 June 2019, 13:43:46 »
Reality? Plastic for 'core' minis, IWM continues to facilitate a wider range not cost-effective for plastic. We get choice.

This here is about it. There's no way on heaven or earth you're going to generate a line with the diversity BT has. At whatever multiple of ten thousand for a mold, it has to sell at scale. You're just plain not doing that for all 400+ units; it would be silly. For those, injection will never be the future; no market. 3D Printing? Color me interested. If there's a healthy margin and the logistics work out, it could be the print-on-demand of low-volume miniatures.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #28 on: 14 June 2019, 13:58:08 »
3D Printing? Color me interested. If there's a healthy margin and the logistics work out, it could be the print-on-demand of low-volume miniatures.

I wish to subscribe to your newletter, pray tell me how
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 14 June 2019, 14:01:29 »
I wish to subscribe to your newletter, pray tell me how

Oh I'm spitballing as a possibility, not saying it is a viable option. Just that I could see it happening.

Register