Poll

How do you want TRO's formatted?

Landscape (like they are now)
46 (47.4%)
Portrait (like the rule books)
51 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Author Topic: How do you want TRO's formatted?  (Read 8400 times)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: How do you want TRO's formatted?
« Reply #30 on: 20 June 2019, 11:49:36 »
Changing the format of TROs moving forward has been on the table for a while now. I’d even venture to say it’s likely. But that has no effect on reprinting or POD for previous TROs. There’s no sense in changing their format. It’s too much work.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #31 on: 20 June 2019, 11:51:02 »
Perhaps there's something to consider: reprinting the existing/OOP TROs in portrait format. If the page sizes are approximately the same, then the word count for the fluff should still fit, while the image could be manipulated (read: magnified) for the new orientation. Alternately: There is no absolute need for any existing images to change at all. They could remain 'sideways' in a portrait format book and thus require no manipulation. That might be a more viable option for existing art than for new TRO art going forward.

You're still going to have to do extensive layout work to make that work, so why not just redo the layout entirely at that point?
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 20 June 2019, 12:01:34 »
Because it would reduce somewhat the required layout time. It would not be a unique factor. Many standard ('portrait') format books have illustrations that are 90-degrees oriented with respect to the text. Maps and tables of organization are prime examples.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 20 June 2019, 12:35:10 »
It was briefly considered, we’re not pursuing that.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 20 June 2019, 13:02:44 »
Technically true, but not correct.  Portrait gives more vertical space, allowing for larger Mech images.  Landscape gives more horizontal space, allowing more contextual "scene" artwork.

But, not really since half the page is taken by stats anyway. (at least in the few TRO I have)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #35 on: 20 June 2019, 14:05:02 »
  Portrait but like military aircraft data books: Pertinent data, minimal to no fluff, no art save diagrams from 2-3 angles, one page. Some people like fluff, I don't need superfluous ink.

The product you're describing sounds like a nightmare to me.

On one hand, I guess it would be interesting to see them done like aircraft data books... but at that point it's almost more of a toy than an rpg supplement.

Like the Haynes manuals you see for Star Wars stuff.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: 20 June 2019, 14:54:44 »
I'm Landscaper myself.  It makes books nicer to me. 

I can understand people wanting to use PoD for TROS, but frankly.  CGL should reduce it's size to letter so people who want PoD can print it on letter landscaped or Portrait. 

I don' think PoD will ever go to letter size unless there change in the technology/industry.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 20 June 2019, 15:05:33 »

I can understand people wanting to use PoD for TROS, but frankly.  CGL should reduce it's size to letter so people who want PoD can print it on letter landscaped or Portrait. 

I don' think PoD will ever go to letter size unless there change in the technology/industry.
not sure I follow. The books are letter sized. Any slight difference in size can be easily tweaked.

POD can do letter sized. Among a great many size options.

For the longest time, this company couldn’t do landscape. It can now.

The problem with landscape, in POD, is that it’s expensive. Not that it’s not possible for the size or orientation we need.

Setting up past (X)TROs for POD for landscape is easy. To do them as portrait is essentially laying out a brand new book from scratch. At best.

This is all in regards to POD. It has no bearing on the decision to make future TROs landscape or portrait. Hope that clears things up?
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #38 on: 20 June 2019, 15:18:52 »

Ummmm....Landscape vs portrait is in regards to how the page is printed:

Letter Size, is 8.5" x 11" (standard notebook paper size), Unless you're European or from elsewhere where the closest to Letter size is A4:

Portrait/Landscape is again, just how the printed medium is oriented.

Therefore,
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #39 on: 20 June 2019, 15:31:48 »
If portrait landscape opens up the possibility of more books/availability (eg through POD), that's compelling.

My vote (probably) won't count more than anyone else's in the end, but this is my argument for portrait. A 30-year-old decision made for totally aesthetic reasons can't trump a modern change needed for business reasons.

This is all in regards to POD. It has no bearing on the decision to make future TROs landscape or portrait. Hope that clears things up?

To be even more clear - my previous statements about "landscape remains a problem for POD" were focused on using POD to bring XTROs into DTF print.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #40 on: 20 June 2019, 15:33:30 »
Colt: Therefore... ?  ???

I think your post got truncated...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #41 on: 20 June 2019, 16:40:13 »
Colt: Therefore... ?  ???

I think your post got truncated...

I did not post in this topic?

And I will go portrait for the reason a lot of other folks did, PoD . . . from what little I know of publishing and just the societal trends, a lot of things are going a la carte or on demand.  It makes sense to adapt your products ahead of the curve to be in a position to take advantage before it becomes the standard.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 20 June 2019, 16:52:16 »
So here's a question if things go portrait.  If a record sheet is is included, would it be OK to skip the stats block?  Most of that information would be on the record sheet (save individual weights, but do we need that now?), and it would keep all the information on facing pages - fluff specs, description, deployment, etc. left and full-page image right.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 20 June 2019, 16:54:22 »
Sorry about that Colt... looking at too many threads too fast... It was NeonKnight that apparently got cut off by the system...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #44 on: 20 June 2019, 16:56:15 »
I confess I like the stat block in the TRO.

The landscape mode usually had the stat block on the art page; it may take a little re-arrangement to break it up to fit well without minimising room for art.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 20 June 2019, 16:57:49 »
Question for those for landscape(or any playing devil's advocate): Does landscape hold any advantage over portrait?  I've already listed what I think portrait's advantages are so I'm curious to see if I missed anything we'd miss out on with a change.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 20 June 2019, 17:00:16 »
I can't think of a landscape example that didn't have the stats on the art page...  ???

Maybe some of the aerospace stuff?

The advantage is exactly what Worktroll just pointed out, and Marauder mentioned earlier... more room for art.  The same page can have contextual art AND stats on it...

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #47 on: 20 June 2019, 17:03:16 »
Question for those for landscape(or any playing devil's advocate): Does landscape hold any advantage over portrait?  I've already listed what I think portrait's advantages are so I'm curious to see if I missed anything we'd miss out on with a change.

Comes down to columns printed.

Typical Portrait printing allows for two columns, while landscape allows for 3 columns.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 20 June 2019, 17:09:18 »
I can half-open a landscape TRO and still see enough to get some information.  Much more difficult to do that with portrait.

Trouble with mixing art and tech stats on a portrait page is you don't get twice the height.  If the art is the same size there's less room for stats.  Things get even more difficult with omni's with many configurations e.g. Timber Wolf.

Edit: See Bakeneko entry in Wars of the Republic Era.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2019, 17:12:19 by dgorsman »
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 20 June 2019, 17:23:42 »
I would say that an Omni doesn't need all config data listed in the main page itself. Keep it to base chassis plus maybe the prime, others can be just record sheets.

At least, this is assuming RS were included with the TRO, reckon most folks aren't filling record sheets manually from TRO entries.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #50 on: 20 June 2019, 17:44:36 »
I prefer the aesthetic of landscape but I'll give that up if portrait means more/better/affordable product.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #51 on: 20 June 2019, 18:06:27 »
Flip through the Field Manuals, they've got plenty of art and stat blocks put together just fine.  If a book were to be properly formatted - and list everything like heat sink and special armor/IS locations! - then I'd still totally buy it.  I'd suggest it'd be no harder to use than landscape.

I mean, it's not like it's SFB, where everything is bound portrait but printed landscape, so you're flipping pages vertically...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 20 June 2019, 18:09:14 »

If there's going to be any mucking around with paper size it should probably be switched over to A4 because Letter size is US only.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 20 June 2019, 19:34:02 »
Portrait. I don’t like the mess the landscape ones make of my bookshelf.

repeating this ... I like the landscape, but portrait fits my life much better.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 20 June 2019, 19:57:47 »
Maybe it's just me, but how is the TRO making a mess, exactly?  Is it falling off, or...?   ???
- The Society

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #55 on: 20 June 2019, 20:15:39 »
The back end sags and warps because the portrait orientated books don’t support them.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 20 June 2019, 20:26:25 »
Odd.  I don't have that problem.   Portrait or landscape,  they both are the same at the back, and support each other just fine.
- The Society

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #57 on: 21 June 2019, 04:46:07 »
I would say that an Omni doesn't need all config data listed in the main page itself. Keep it to base chassis plus maybe the prime, others can be just record sheets.

At least, this is assuming RS were included with the TRO, reckon most folks aren't filling record sheets manually from TRO entries.

I feel the opposite. I like the stats as I can easily see how a mech is equipped at a glance. I would like to see stats for variant mechs in a similar way omnis are done.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #58 on: 21 June 2019, 07:50:12 »
Portrait

Matches the rest of my books, less floppy, presumably easier to send to print-on-demand.  The new books with mini TROs have shown clear examples that portrait orientation is perfectly functional for the task. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #59 on: 21 June 2019, 12:27:00 »
Maybe it's just me, but how is the TRO making a mess, exactly?  Is it falling off, or...?   ???

For me, they stick out on my bookshelf, & creates a gap at the top when stacked with my other portrait configured book. I have all my Battletech collection on my bottom shelf, & luckily near a wall, so I don't accidentally kick the books. But the TRs sticking out over the edge of the bookshelf is asking for them to get knocked about with additional unnecessary wear.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Register