Author Topic: Maps - semi gloss vs matte  (Read 1108 times)

zreef

• Recruit
Maps - semi gloss vs matte
« on: 20 June 2019, 15:44:57 »
I picked up my start box set at gencon and the maps were semi gloss, but the latest map pack came matte, similar to the older map packs.  I was wondering if the second run starter boxes had the matte maps or not.  The difference bothers me :) and I was hoping to track down all matte or all semi gloss maps for my collection.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Maps - semi gloss vs matte
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2019, 16:54:21 »
I picked up my start box set at gencon and the maps were semi gloss, but the latest map pack came matte, similar to the older map packs.  I was wondering if the second run starter boxes had the matte maps or not.  The difference bothers me :) and I was hoping to track down all matte or all semi gloss maps for my collection.

I believe that's simply a production decision that keeps costs down on the map pack. I get the OCD eye-twitch; I have it too. But it is what it is. My suggestion would be to consider some kind of laminate at a shop that makes them uniform if uniformity is your primary desire. Otherwise, just have to roll with it.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2019, 17:27:35 »

The Semi-gloss was specific to Gen Con 2018 due to a the maps not making it into the box sets that were shipped for Gen-con 2018. Since the maps didn't make it into the box, Catalyst had the maps printed quickly in the US, but the printer did them as semi-gloss instead of Matte. No time to correct it before con.

All maps coming out are designed to be Matte.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2019, 17:54:48 »
The Semi-gloss was specific to Gen Con 2018 due to a the maps not making it into the box sets that were shipped for Gen-con 2018. Since the maps didn't make it into the box, Catalyst had the maps printed quickly in the US, but the printer did them as semi-gloss instead of Matte. No time to correct it before con.

All maps coming out are designed to be Matte.

My bad then.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2019, 20:32:55 »
I was going to say... I could have sworn my box had matte maps

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

zreef

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2019, 21:18:41 »
Thanks for the info everyone!  Looks like I might be needing to pick up another starter set ...  :D

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2019, 21:30:55 »
My bad then.
No worries, it seems we settled matters easily enough.

The big question is, are the backsides printed as well, or are they blank hexes so we can draw in our own?  I have no idea how many days I wasted drawing bases and battlefields on mine...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2019, 21:39:34 »
The matte maps are dual sided

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2019, 22:23:32 »
All new maps have been double sided.

With the exception of them wwe 2018 maps, but those were special ones and not available in print.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Register