Author Topic: Drones - What uses have you come up with?  (Read 1123 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Drones - What uses have you come up with?
« on: 01 March 2024, 18:48:12 »
So, starting a project to make a LOT of drones.  Can you come up with any additional uses?

I've broken it down to several categories:

Stationary (or 'Stations'): units placed by DropChute or vehicles with lift equipment.
-Artillery
-Fire Support (Artillery, Anti-Aircraft, -Personnel and -Armor)
-Command (C3 Systems, Comms, Drone relays, EW,  Robotic)
-Pillbox (Fighting/Security position) (Also ‘Portable Turrets’)
-Bays (BA, Barracks, Cargo, Drone and Robotic Racks and Hangars [preloaded and ready to launch Drones and Robotics], Drone and Robotics Repair shops, Vehicle)

Battlearmor
-Wheeled battlearmor drones
-Biped drones (Assault?, Bomb Disposal?, Firefighter?)
-‘Mules’ (powered trailer controlled by a wheeled BA or drone to pull heavier trailers)
-Loader
-Refuel/Rearm other units
-Supply (moving pallets/equipment)

ELMs (Protomech equivalent)
-Fire support (Artillery, Ballistic, Energy, Missile) for a variety of terrain and underwater

Small Support Vehicles (Subs, Wheeled, Tracked, Hover, VTOL, WiGE, Fixed Wing, Satellite)
-AMS Support
-Anti-(All)
-Booby Trap (Bomb) (All)
-Bomber (Hardpoints, internal bomb bay)
-Fire Support (All)
-Cargo/Courier (All, Refueling, POL Tankers)
-Chemical (Detection, Dispensers, Countermeasures)
-Communications (Black Box/Equipment/HPG, Sensor Dispenser)
-Drone (Carrier, Controller, Relay)
-EW (Chaff, C3 Booster, Emergency C3, BAP, Narc (BA) pods)
-Medivac/Ambulence
-Minelayer, Controller, Removal
-Scout (Sensor Disp., look-Down Radar, Cameras (for artillery), Mast Mount)
-Service (Bridgelayer, Construction (All), Salvage, Wrecker)

Other Vehicles
-Dirigible “Flying City” [Arthur S-D CP/Prison)
-“Micro-Fighters” (ASF/Fixed Wing?  [Space Only])
-Mobile Structures (Naval ship/sub Anti-WarShip, Command Post [Castle Brian], Drone Control Center, Manufacturing Center)?
-“Relativistic Impactors” (DS multi-stage Kinetic Planet killers)?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Drones - What uses have you come up with?
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2024, 19:27:00 »
Will the Stations be build/designed as Trailers? If so then you would need a high-powered (possibility robotic) Truck.

Edit: You might also want some type of hard to detect infiltration unit.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2024, 19:31:38 by Maingunnery »
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2024, 19:54:44 »
Will the Stations be build/designed as Trailers? If so then you would need a high-powered (possibility robotic) Truck.

Edit: You might also want some type of hard to detect infiltration unit.

Nope, buildings.  And good idea, I'll use the BA stealth armor on the scouting drones.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2024, 20:02:25 »

Another idea: Miner/Tunneler
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2024, 20:39:42 »
Another idea: Miner/Tunneler

Yup, got that one under 'Construction (All)'.  They're used to dig tunnels to the Blakist Caches and the ambush positions they used to massacre the defenders at the start of the Invasion.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2024, 20:48:11 »
The uses of mine in my Golden Lion are Hostile Environment construction/mining, SPAAG or MLRS, SPA, MBT, and observation aircraft both rotary and fixed. Another really good use would be mine-clearing and HazMat clean up. Basically all the normal stuff the real world uses them for

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2024, 21:03:46 »
Kamikazes might be another role.  Much like the Celerity, something designed to go fast to ram enemy targets and/or set off a Booby Trap that most pilots would balk at driving themselves.  This could be used with ELMs or Vehicles.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2024, 21:25:11 »
Kamikazes might be another role.  Much like the Celerity, something designed to go fast to ram enemy targets and/or set off a Booby Trap that most pilots would balk at driving themselves.  This could be used with ELMs or Vehicles.

They have to land (or stop) in the hex before detonating the booby trap.  The ASF that rammed the Dire Wolf, a hovercraft that rams a 'Mech, those are Charge attacks.  But yup, good idea.  Booby Traps are in every type of unit including the stationary ones, mostly for denying the New Clans a chance to inspect these units.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2024, 00:10:17 »
They have to land (or stop) in the hex before detonating the booby trap.  The ASF that rammed the Dire Wolf, a hovercraft that rams a 'Mech, those are Charge attacks.  But yup, good idea.  Booby Traps are in every type of unit including the stationary ones, mostly for denying the New Clans a chance to inspect these units.

'Mechs do.  Protomechs and Vehicles don't.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2024, 01:09:09 »
'Mechs do.  Protomechs and Vehicles don't.

hmm.  Stacking rules..?  I guess the vehicles and Protos can stack with the target, right?

Airborne units that employ a Booby Trap inflict no damage to other units unless another airborne unit is in the same hex on the Low Altitude map (or, if a non-aerospace airborne unit, within 3 hexes and elevations of the exploding Booby Trapped unit).

I'm really going to have to figure that out before I start designing.  I don't suppose you're familiar with booby traps?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2024, 02:08:06 »
Actually, it looks like this was addressed previously, but was forgotten, so I altered it slightly and reposted it.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84222.0

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2024, 05:16:06 »
So the best use is probably for very expendable units, so making the first wave of an assault be carried out by drone units, turn things like Demolishers into them to carry out frontal attacks.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2024, 11:20:25 »
So the best use is probably for very expendable units, so making the first wave of an assault be carried out by drone units, turn things like Demolishers into them to carry out frontal attacks.

Exactly.  Unfortunately..  My project involves the Word of Blake locating and attempting to conquer my deep Periphery state AU.  it starts with war crimes and ends with them being massacred back, before retreating ong to wipe themselves out with a bio-weapon.  No survivers.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2024, 11:40:02 »
hmm.  Stacking rules..?  I guess the vehicles and Protos can stack with the target, right?

Stacking rules allow this.  In fact you can have 1 'Mech and 1 Friendly unit of another type, along with 2 enemy units of other types in a hex, provided that none are Super-Heavy.  In fact, Infantry usually love this space, even if they can't do Anti-Mech, as they can Shoot while it's hard for any unit in the same hex to Shoot back.

I'm really going to have to figure that out before I start designing.  I don't suppose you're familiar with booby traps?

I've run them once, and found them disturbingly powerful if put on cheap but mobile units.  There are ways to counter them, either by destroying them first or by Moving in to a location they cannot reach (i.e. Woods are not friendly for VTOLs, WiGEs, and Hovercraft so either would reduce or avoid their Damage, and you can't reach them underwater).

The real question is how do multi-level units like 'Mechs deal with VTOL/WiGE Booby Traps.  Are they considered at that Level of Elevation or one Level lower?  I've had this argument before with someone, but they focused too much on the Aerospace focus being used for everything while ignoring the separation that the punctuation provides as well as the terminology.  Aerospace units don't operate at Elevation, for example.  Still, it never hurts to have an official answer.

Remote Drones and Robotic Drones are definitely ways to "save the meat", as well as provide some remoteness from committing war crimes directly.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2024, 12:17:17 »
Regrettably - my mobile drones will concentrate on civilian targets and war crimes.  The stationary ones are going to be the more honest ones, although there will be 'mules' and Arrow IV launchers with nukes.

I think I'm going to have to spell out the rules for this when I better understand this.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2024, 17:15:23 »
Stacking rules allow this.  In fact you can have 1 'Mech and 1 Friendly unit of another type, along with 2 enemy units of other types in a hex, provided that none are Super-Heavy.  In fact, Infantry usually love this space, even if they can't do Anti-Mech, as they can Shoot while it's hard for any unit in the same hex to Shoot back.
That doesn't sound right, I've got memories saying it can be 1 'Mech, 1 Vehicle, and 2 infantry (one from each side), is one wrong or simply different versions of the same rule?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2024, 17:35:43 »
That doesn't sound right, I've got memories saying it can be 1 'Mech, 1 Vehicle, and 2 infantry (one from each side), is one wrong or simply different versions of the same rule?

I think this is the original, but what it is for TW i have no real idea.  I just don't play often enough anymore.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2024, 17:53:31 »

Total Warfare, pg 57.
"STACKING
At the end of each Movement Phase, up to two units from each side may occupy a single hex (a maximum of four). These units can consist of any combination of vehicles and infantry, but only one of the four can be a ’Mech. This maximum is called the stacking limit."

Battletech Master Rules (Revised) (2001), pg 21
"...At the end of each unit's movement, up to two units from each side may occupy a single hex.  These units can consist of any combination of vehicles and Infantry, but only one of the units in the hex can be a BattleMech.  In other words, a maximum of 4 units may occupy a hex at the end of the Movement Phase (2 units from each force) by ending their movement in that hex, but only one of the 4 units may be a Battlemech."

Battlemech Compendium (1990), pg 17
"... At the end of the Movement Phase:
  • Only one BattleMech (friendly or enemy) can occupy a hex.
  • Vehicles and Infantry are allowed to have up to friendly units per hex.  These units can be in any combination, and one of the units can be a a BattleMech.  Note that the maximum number of units in a hex is four, two units from each side, but only one of the four may be a Battlemech.
  • Units can be overstacked in teh same building if they are on different levels; within a building, apply these stacking limits to each level of the building"
CityTech (1986), pg 11
"In CityTech, only one 'Mech at a time can occupy a hex.  During the Movement Phase, a 'Mech cannot move through hexes occupied by other live 'Mechs.  Armor and Infantry, however, are allowed to have tow units per hex.  This can be in any combination, and one of the two units can be a 'Mech...."

So, this Stacking rule as been around for a LONG time in one form or another.  It's probably a misreading or a Mandella Effect.

Now, there are other ways around this, a little bit, like a unit being mounted in or on another or Swarming a target, or just simply being at higher Elevations.  However, you can't dismount until the Stacking Limits are open.  For those forced to dismount, Displacement starts to happen.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2024, 19:52:48 by Charistoph »

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 02 March 2024, 19:21:37 »
Ahh, thanks.  Still, it would be simpler if there was a simple rule other than a suicide charge boondoggle, especially how drones are being used in RL right now.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2024, 20:02:52 »
Ahh, thanks.  Still, it would be simpler if there was a simple rule other than a suicide charge boondoggle, especially how drones are being used in RL right now.

It's not the only role for Drones, just one that's best suited for Drones unless you have very fanatical pilots.  They can be great for creating a pressure zone or distraction.

I remember reading in Lethal Heritage that the training zone on Barcelona was used by the militia to distract the Falcons and give them a chance to escape.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #20 on: 02 March 2024, 21:42:59 »
I remember reading in Lethal Heritage that the training zone on Barcelona was used by the militia to distract the Falcons and give them a chance to escape.
Said zone was similar to the one showcased earlier in the novel with Kai. IFF modules fitted to moving frames or scrap piles, which the rangemaster could control to allow live fire training.
Basically a hitech version of popup targets.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 02 March 2024, 21:45:16 »
It's not the only role for Drones, just one that's best suited for Drones unless you have very fanatical pilots.  They can be great for creating a pressure zone or distraction.

Hmm..  Not really?  The rules seem - oriented? - against making Drones really effective as a weapon.  Or anything, really.  I really am thinking about a separate 'Drone Warhead' rule, just to make it easier.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 02 March 2024, 23:05:33 »
Said zone was similar to the one showcased earlier in the novel with Kai. IFF modules fitted to moving frames or scrap piles, which the rangemaster could control to allow live fire training.
Basically a hitech version of popup targets.

That's effectively what a Drone is, just better at shooting back.  At all.

Come to think of it, was there any scenario where this was written up.  Looking for some... inspiration in that area for the future.

Hmm..  Not really?  The rules seem - oriented? - against making Drones really effective as a weapon.  Or anything, really.  I really am thinking about a separate 'Drone Warhead' rule, just to make it easier.

Depends on the Drone, really.  There are Remote Drones and Robotic Drones. 

Remote Drones are pretty much what is used today: Someone sitting a station guiding the unit in its actions and fire.  There's a debuff to one of the Skills, I believe, but not that bad.

Robotic Drones are self-automating and self-guided and capable of the controls of a Vehicle or even a Mech.  In most cases they rather suck because they don't learn, so are usually about as good as a Green unit.  However it was the Robotic CASPER Drone System which made Kerensky kind of nervous about Jumping in to Sol to take out Amaris.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 03 March 2024, 00:38:41 »
Yeah, the plan is to have some of both.  Right now, I've decided to categorize them by movement type, so I'll be trying to build all the stationary units first.  That will give me some time before I have to decide whether the VTOL flying bombs are worth the numbers described in the fluff I've described.

But back on topic, does anybody have an idea for another role?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 03 March 2024, 17:59:52 »
A little progress so far.  Stupid half-cast.

Stationary (or 'Stations'): units placed by DropChute or vehicles with lift equipment.

-Artillery (sub-Cap-Sub/Arrow IV-building, Sub)

-Fire Support (AA-AIV Station, LRM (all missiles) Station, T-Tow Station, Gauss/iAC/Mortar/NARC/Taser/ TAG Station)

-Command (C3 Systems, CP [Comm Equipment], Drone Consoles or LOS relays)

-Pillbox (Fighting/Security position) (Also ‘Portable Turrets’) (MG/AP-G nest, A- and B-Pods Infantry Fighting Position, Cassette Launcher position)

-Bays (BA, Barracks, Cargo, Drone and Robotic Ready Racks, D/R Hangars [preloaded and ready to launch Drones and Robotics], Drone and Robotics Repair shops, Vehicle)

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: 03 March 2024, 18:06:25 »
Maybe it's just Alpha Strike , but the BT (booby trap) special ability combined with vtol movement type and high speed should make a fine guided missil- er, suicide drone.

Right now, the NapFind hover drone does like 3 damage on a successful charge, which is essentially the equivalent of being shot by an Awesome, even without the BT rule. If you had it with the VTOL movement type, it would be a fantastic reason to take Air Defense units (to shoot it down before it charges/detonates on something).

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 03 March 2024, 18:24:57 »
Maybe it's just Alpha Strike , but the BT (booby trap) special ability combined with vtol movement type and high speed should make a fine guided missil- er, suicide drone.

Right now, the NapFind hover drone does like 3 damage on a successful charge, which is essentially the equivalent of being shot by an Awesome, even without the BT rule. If you had it with the VTOL movement type, it would be a fantastic reason to take Air Defense units (to shoot it down before it charges/detonates on something).

Yup.  I've actually got a question in to determine hot the VTOL/Booby trap thing works; if it works in a way that seems practical, you can bet there will be thousands built of every motive type possible for the kick-off to the Invasion.  But like I say, most of these won't be against mechs and vehicles - they're supposed to be used for guerrilla warfare, against civilians.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 03 March 2024, 19:43:22 »
What about a drone that hijacks vehicles?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 03 March 2024, 20:35:03 »
What about a drone that hijacks vehicles?

Oohh, that's unique!  What do you think, VTOL salvage lifter like the Drac Tonbo?  I already have a Wrecker/tow truck planned.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 03 March 2024, 22:14:51 »
I'm getting Homeworld flashbacks with that idea.