Author Topic: MechWarrior: Destiny  (Read 128228 times)

TheOldDragoon

• Sergeant
  • From Royal With Love
    • TexMechs - The Home of the Royal Dragoon Guards
Re: MechWarrior: Destiny
« Reply #30 on: 24 July 2019, 09:39:06 »
Which ruleset have you planned to use in you next campaign? My players would never play AToW, so I run mine using MW2e and TW. We enjoy the campaign greatly.

We have used AToW, but we'd probably go with MechWarrior 2e, character gen is easier, and we tweaked the formula for skill bases to alter the swinginess a bit.
JEFFREY A. WEBB
Colonel
Regiment Commanding Officer
The Royal Dragoon Guards

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 24 July 2019, 10:28:00 »
The solution to players who would "never" play AToW is to make their characters for them.

"I'll make your character for you" is a threat not an encouragement. :P
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: 24 July 2019, 10:38:16 »
The solution to players who would "never" play AToW is to make their characters for them.

... I have used pre-made characters, it sucks the life out of a game as you have 0 investment in someone else's stats.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 24 July 2019, 10:53:03 »
"I'll make your character for you" is a threat not an encouragement. :P
... I have used pre-made characters, it sucks the life out of a game as you have 0 investment in someone else's stats.

I enjoy playing good pre-mades.  It stops me from optimizing and let's me just focus on the role, which I have no problem tweaking a little personality-wise.

In our current Shadowrun game, I told the GM that if he doesn't want one of my characters (I have a 'reputation') then I'll happily play anything he wants to make me.  He tried to bluff me with this, and it has been lots of fun to play a tiny phys ad bounty hunter that relies on dodging and nerve strike.

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #34 on: 24 July 2019, 10:59:07 »
Wow, I completely missed this (mostly from downloading & not actually opening the file). That's pretty great. One more thing to look forward to.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #35 on: 24 July 2019, 11:47:39 »
AToW wasn't that bad playing it but sadly, the creation process, was not fun for me.

That's what killed it for me. When it becomes near-mandatory to keep a running spreadsheet to create a character, it's not fun anymore. I have a PDF copy of AToW which I've been using as a lore reference for a home-brew I've been working on, but that homebrew (first using Mongoose Traveller's SRD as a base, but I switched over to the old D6 Star Wars engine) is on hold, because Destiny looks promising, and I'd rather throw money CGL's way when I can  :thumbsup:

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #36 on: 24 July 2019, 12:14:39 »
Speaking as someone who created some of the premade characters in MW:D, it's much quicker and easier than AToW....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #37 on: 24 July 2019, 13:35:52 »
the complexity of character creation is what has kept me from the BT roleplaying game scene.. when you read the rules for making a character and can't even sort out where to start despite examples given in the book, it is a no go for me.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 24 July 2019, 14:29:12 »

If I can have a game where all 7 of my players characters can engage in a fun and dynamic mech combat  without the hassle of breaking out the map boards and then waiting while everyone has to drop back to TW or AS then this book will be well worth it! its not that I don't like the system of AS or TW I really like them but I don't want TW and As to get in the way of me telling a good story.
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

jameslytle

• Recruit
« Reply #39 on: 24 July 2019, 16:46:28 »
Does anybody have some kind of estimate (Even one that might be out there) as to when this might become available both as a PDF and as a printed version?

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #40 on: 24 July 2019, 16:52:35 »
Does anybody have some kind of estimate (Even one that might be out there) as to when this might become available both as a PDF and as a printed version?

Only information is on 'THIS is BattleTech' pdf. It says 'coming soon'

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 24 July 2019, 17:00:08 »
Whoah, that cover is familiar...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #42 on: 24 July 2019, 17:14:42 »
Feel the power of N O S T A L G I A

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

LightGuard

• Master Sergeant
  • They called him Camouflage
« Reply #43 on: 24 July 2019, 17:37:17 »

I just make the character using the 3rd Edition rules and convert it using the guidelines in the Companion...
The Things I Do for Love...

Do not try to apply real-world logic to Battletech.  Naught lies there but madness and ruin. - moneylovingogre4hire

That's fine, then.  I've been waiting since 2014 or so, what's another year?  Time laughs at all things, but BattleTech laughs at time.  Then launches a trial of possession for it. - rebs

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #44 on: 24 July 2019, 17:56:22 »

Hmmm...
« Last Edit: 24 July 2019, 19:23:23 by sanpats »

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 24 July 2019, 18:02:42 »
I hope this new Mechwarrior Destiny does not totally invalidate ATOW and the Companion. At least let the skills and equipment port over.

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 24 July 2019, 18:04:27 »
I hope this does not invalidate ATOW and the Companion totally.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #47 on: 24 July 2019, 18:05:59 »
If it’s anything like shadowrun anarchy it won’t. They’re releasing a new edition of the core shadowrun rules

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 24 July 2019, 18:08:22 »
Whew! That would be a smart move. Those are some good books.

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #49 on: 24 July 2019, 18:40:59 »
I hope this new Mechwarrior Destiny does not totally invalidate ATOW and the Companion. At least let the skills and equipment port over.

What do you mean by invalidating? As long as you still have the books no one can invalidate your game. I’m still running my MW2e game, even after it long became unsupported edition.

If you mean a way to convert characters to the new edition, I hope CGL make it a convenient option for player who wish to do so. But truthfully, with time and patience, and may be a lot of hand waving, you can convert any PCs to any system, it just may not be a 1:1 conversion.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 24 July 2019, 19:09:43 »
If it’s anything like shadowrun anarchy it won’t. They’re releasing a new edition of the core shadowrun rules

If it's anything like Shadowrun Anarchy, you're also better off staying with whatever you're playing now.  xp
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #51 on: 24 July 2019, 19:17:25 »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 24 July 2019, 19:18:43 »
I've heard people say the same about Alpha Strike; some people just value different things in a game.  I find A Time of War un-playably unwieldy on the character creation front, so I'm looking forward to MechWarrior: Destiny.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 24 July 2019, 19:19:11 »
Quote from: sanpats link=topic=66175.msg1526605#msg1526605 date=1564008982

Hmmm...
[/quote

Mind trimming that image down?

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #54 on: 24 July 2019, 19:23:54 »
Mind trimming that image down?

Done.

My apologies. I initially posted from my phone.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #55 on: 24 July 2019, 19:29:08 »
Concur totally with Dahmin_Toran!  I've invested hundreds of hours in AToW, and would hate to throw that away...

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 24 July 2019, 19:30:57 »
I've heard people say the same about Alpha Strike; some people just value different things in a game.  I find A Time of War un-playably unwieldy on the character creation front, so I'm looking forward to MechWarrior: Destiny.

okay, I'll admit it was harsh.  I was just really disappointed in Anarchy. I would like to see a simpler Battletech RPG(especially character creation), but I'd hate to see things like spend XP to covert your SRMs to clan streak SRMs mid way through a fight (or however that mechanic worked) or the players deciding whether or not the enemy forces bring in reserves instead of the GM.

Still looking forward to seeing what 6th ed brings though.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #57 on: 24 July 2019, 19:40:03 »
Concur totally with Dahmin_Toran!  I've invested hundreds of hours in AToW, and would hate to throw that away...

Why do you have to throw anything away? You can still play AToW even as MW:D came out if you wish, as long as you still have the books and people to play with, right?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 24 July 2019, 19:47:04 »
To be clear, when I say "make their characters for them", the method I use is to draft a version, and then let them tweak from there in negotiation with me as the GM.  It's not particularly hard, and I find the process enjoyable.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 24 July 2019, 19:47:51 »
That depends entirely on what exactly Destiny is...