Poll

What do you think is the BEST medium mech for Intro Tech 3025 era?

Lynx-8Q
5 (3.8%)
Gladiator-4R
9 (6.9%)
Wolverine-6M
35 (26.7%)
Griffin-1S
9 (6.9%)
Hunchback-4P
6 (4.6%)
Hunchback-4G
4 (3.1%)
Trebuchet-5S
2 (1.5%)
Crab-20
11 (8.4%)
PhoenixHawk-1D
17 (13%)
PhoenixHawk-1K
1 (0.8%)
Vindicator-1R
12 (9.2%)
Vulcan-5T
2 (1.5%)
Hermes-2M
3 (2.3%)
Cicada-3C
0 (0%)
Assassin-21
2 (1.5%)
Other - Please Elaborate
13 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: 29 February 2020, 00:09:12

Author Topic: Best INTRO tech MEDIUM mech in 3025  (Read 14386 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Best INTRO tech MEDIUM mech in 3025
« on: 22 February 2020, 00:09:12 »
I chosen 15 of my favorite variants out of the many available.

But I'm curious what you all think are the BEST intro tech mediums.

I've given everyone 3 votes so we can get a good look at where the most common choices will be.

If you feel I've missed out on a hidden gem then choose Other & tell us what & why.

Also, remember, this is Intro Tech in 3025 so some of those later arrivals (Cronus) aren't available.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Frabby

• Major
Re: Best INTRO tech MEDIUM mech in 3025
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2020, 01:24:00 »
The Phoenix Hawk epitomizes everything that is good about medium BattleMechs for me. Thus I've chosen the PXH-1D from your list. But truth be told, it's not an improvement over the regular PXH-1 version - in my eyes, the MGs amount to a heat neutral pair of crit seekers.

The 6M Wolverine is a close second, though it is a really wannabe heavy. And if you‘re not fighting in a phone booth, the standard 1N Griffin is a fearsome machine. Somehow I never liked the 1S, though it looks good on paper.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2020, 01:35:23 »
The Phoenix Hawk epitomizes everything that is good about medium BattleMechs for me. Thus I've chosen the PXH-1D from your list. But truth be told, it's not an improvement over the regular PXH-1 version - in my eyes, the MGs amount to a heat neutral pair of crit seekers.
Thanks for the input!

You'll notice I have the Vulcan-5T on there which is similar & is what I use when I want some MG (or Flamer) love added to the Laser Party.

It & the Griffin-1S are my favorites in their respective tonnage brackets.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2020, 02:36:38 »
While the Wolverine or Gladiator are the best all around unit, I voted for the Hermes II.  7/11 with a PB damage potential of 20 points with solid armor protection.  It is easy to overlook because the primary design is so underwhelming.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2020, 04:44:59 »
The Marik Wolverine is hands down the best 3025 medium.  It's perfectly heat tuned to jump and alpha, then jump and cool off.

I also threw in a vote for the Vindicator.  Those things had a reputation for indestructibility back in college.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2020, 07:06:25 »
The Dervish always surprises people, in my experience. It has some significant flaws, but 5jj and 2lrm10s is a problem many 3025 mechs dont have a good answer for. Its backup firepower is decent enough that you can switch tactics against Mechs like the Griffin.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2020, 07:34:33 »
I went  with the Gladiator as it has the long range powerful PPC and is backed by the SRN6 and the brace of medium laser for when you get too close to the enemy and are inside the Peeper's minimum range. Throw in the jumpers and decent armor and you got the champ
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2020, 08:11:07 »
You appear to have inexplicably missed off the Shadow Hawk!

[giggles, ducks, and jumps away (but not quite far enough)]
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2020, 08:20:00 »
CNS-3M. Practically as good as the 6M Wolverine, but without the small cockpit.

Honorable mention to the Sparky Griffin variant.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2020, 08:32:24 »
The best introtech medium mech is often forgotten.  It's not any of the above.  It's the Chameleon.  50 tons, 6/9/6.  It's a Phoenix Hawk's big brother with a little more armor and an extra small laser.  And the "easy to pilot" quirk.

It's also been around since 2nd edition Battletech, so it's not a retcon-introduced mech either.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2020, 13:57:38 »
I voted for the wolverine and vindicator because I seem to have a lot of good times with those.  I also voted other and i think officially I am going with the dervish because it is quite effective and very versatile (standard and inferno rounds for those SRMs please).

I want to try that vulcan it seems pretty cool.

Some other designs that I like but I guess are not as highly considered would be the blackjack (those AC 2s seem to get more luck than any other weapon system I swear and 4 medium lasers are always nasty) and the whitworth is also good in an introtech only game though I still perfer the dervish.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2020, 14:51:07 »
CNS-3M.
Honorable mention to the Sparky Griffin variant.
Neither of which is available in 3025.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2020, 14:53:04 »
with a little more armor and an extra small laser.
Must be a different variant that the Chameleon I remember.
Because that one had 6 Tons of Armor & 4 SL more than the Pixie.
Lack of armor is why it didn't make the cut off for top 15 listed above.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2020, 14:59:24 »
Some other designs that I like but I guess are not as highly considered would be the blackjack (those AC 2s seem to get more luck than any other weapon system I swear and 4 medium lasers are always nasty) and the whitworth is also good in an introtech only game though I still perfer the dervish.

Believe me when I say, when trying to avoid the entirety of 3025 in my list, all 3 of those were hard to cut.
Some like the Assassin/Cicada are on there purely based on movement curve.
While the Hunchback is only on there as the only medium mech to carry an AC20 & almost didn't make the cut.

I wanted good examples of multiple options and the only reason "LRM Boat" isn't up there is I don't happen to consider "Medium/Light" to be good LRM platforms.
The Whitworth, Trebuchet, & Dervish are all how solid for what they do & I use them often.
I was shooting for 10 & found I had to go to 15 just to get in some of my favorites.

But its good to see the 16th "Open" option getting chosen & why.

PS.  That Vulcan really is a nice machine for 3025.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2020, 15:30:31 »
can confirm on the vulcan. i had one in a campaign and it worked well as a light killer and gave bigger mediums pause when going toe to toe

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 22 February 2020, 16:20:32 »
original basic box-set GRF-1N Griffin.  and yes, I know it has a minimum range, but if you're running it right, that's not a major problem.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

massey

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2020, 16:36:58 »
Must be a different variant that the Chameleon I remember.
Because that one had 6 Tons of Armor & 4 SL more than the Pixie.
Lack of armor is why it didn't make the cut off for top 15 listed above.

Looking at it again, you're right.  It does have less armor.  It has a full 9 points on the head, though, and that's part of what I was remembering.  And for some reason I was thinking the Phoenix Hawk had 2 small lasers and less armor.

There are two variants of the 3025 Chameleon.  The first has 4 small lasers and 6 tons of armor.  The second has 3 small lasers, only half a ton of machine gun ammo, and 7 tons of armor.  I still really like it though.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 22 February 2020, 17:16:09 »
Wolverine WVR-6R. Granted, the -6M is better but i don't think the original is bad.
Griffin GRF-1N. Runs a bit hot but excellent skirmisher and ranged attacker.
While i'm not a Pixie fan, i have to admit the Phoenix Hawk PHX-1 is good recon and strike design. Good mobility, adequate armor, flexible firepower. Not so keen on the variants as they lose mobility or flexibility but they're not bad.

Honorable mention to the Blackjack BJ-1. Can't really argue with quad medium lasers... and annoying enemies at range with plinking ACs is fun.
Another honorable mention to the Whitworth for being pretty good value as fire support designs go.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 22 February 2020, 20:51:34 »
 An honorable mention should go to the HER-2S. It fills in many a hole during force design, and survives battles. Its armament may seem lackluster, but many a player makes a logical judgement that its armor will lead to wasted shots, so the Hermes II survives, and contributes for protracted periods of time. That flamer has come in handy at times, for use against infantry, or for the opportunistic heat mode shot. It is a handy mech, and should be respected for that.

Calimehter

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2020, 16:59:50 »
The Marik Wolverine probably deserves to win this poll.

I voted for the Pixie D, though, as a top notch and flexible machine in its own right, and as one that pairs up quite nicely with the two most common Mechs around in 3025 . . . the Wasp and Stinger.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2020, 17:00:59 »
FYI, 

For anyone that doesn't realize it is, my original post says you get 3 votes.

Some folks appear not to be using them all.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 23 February 2020, 17:01:38 »
I only voted for 2, but that was on purpose...  ^-^

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 23 February 2020, 20:31:42 »
It depends on how how you're defining "best intro".  For example, the Chameleon was the original training mech because it overheated very easily.  Shadow Hawk is good because you have a variety of weapons to work with with a varied range set.  These make them good for introducing proper mech control.

However, what I'd like on the battlefield...  Depend on the op, really.  A Centurion or Enforcer would do well in urban environments, but their speed could hinder them in blocky terrain that a Phoenix Hawk can just jump around.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 23 February 2020, 20:34:31 »
Your right, I didn't clarify what "Best" means.

Best at Killing armored units while surviving to Kill more of them tomorrow, in no one particular terrain or another.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 23 February 2020, 20:36:23 »
By that definition, the Marik Wolverine definitely wins.

Taber_Evans

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2020, 03:44:29 »
put up  2 votes.   You do not have a Shad listed. 

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2020, 08:12:43 »
FYI, 

For anyone that doesn't realize it is, my original post says you get 3 votes.

Some folks appear not to be using them all.
Haha, yeah.  I didn't put much thought into it, either.  But, hey, the Crab is a decent enough hill to die on.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #27 on: 24 February 2020, 14:05:48 »
Complex question, as it also takes into account terrain and BV.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #28 on: 24 February 2020, 14:38:23 »
i chose the first three without much conviction (except the 6M. it's beautiful)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #29 on: 24 February 2020, 15:01:41 »
No Starslayer 2C?  The nerf the -3C got to be late SW compliant annoyed me . . . but the -2C was supposedly what the Big MAC was using.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."