Author Topic: '73 Regulan invasion of Gibson  (Read 3783 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
'73 Regulan invasion of Gibson
« on: 03 April 2011, 18:16:18 »
Just wondering how many details were published about this assault.  As I understand it was the 4th Regulan Hussars, 13th Stalking Horse and Wild Geese as well as other merc units and perhaps some new raised Regulans?  While this is a good force for a fast series of raids, its not the Regulan force to launch a planetary assault from what I know.  The 1st and 2nd would have been better suited to such a role with the 4th to cover the flanks?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
Re: '73 Regulan invasion of Gibson
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2011, 18:42:53 »
Unfortunately, the 1st and 2nd had been badly mauled by the 49th Shadow Division and were in no shape to assault Gibson. The 4th were far from ideal, but evidently they were the Regulan's best option.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2011, 20:56:02 »
Just wondering how many details were published about this assault.  As I understand it was the 4th Regulan Hussars, 13th Stalking Horse and Wild Geese as well as other merc units and perhaps some new raised Regulans?  While this is a good force for a fast series of raids, its not the Regulan force to launch a planetary assault from what I know.  The 1st and 2nd would have been better suited to such a role with the 4th to cover the flanks?

Jihad Secrets (Bloodless Coup) has a write up assault in character profiles section for the Titus Cameron-Jones.  Details of the assault was kept sparse, but enough to get idea how it went down. The Regulars, with Horses and Geeses were dispatched in task force with bunch of small merc units to Gibson.  The task force was lead by retired 1st Regulan Hussars general Kinchuhara, who was appointed by Kirc Cameron-Jones.  In a nut shell they did combat drop onto the planet, thinking they be were going get upper hand  on the Blakists by attacking the Gibson BattleMech Federation factory.  However, the Blakists were waiting with both the 49th Shadow Division and Apollyon's 52nd.  Manei Domini ambush ate every one alive in the initial attack and killed Kinchuhara in the ambush itself.  The Fourth's surviving commanding officer panic and order retreat with the Geese and Horses managing to get off planet, while rest of the smaller merc units surrendered.

Sarna has a write up on the operation.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2011, 01:06:08 »
I believe that the Wild Geese were annihilated while covering the retreat of the survivors.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2011, 01:27:12 »
I think Operation Vijay was one of the most interesting battles of the Jihad. I mean holy shit dude, four veteran regiments of Regulans and mercs vs. two Shadow Divisions? It's a miracle anyone got off Gibson alive.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2011, 05:44:36 »
It's no wonder for the follow up, they glassed the place.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2011, 06:56:06 »
Four regiments? Wild Geese and Stalking Horse were severely understrength and I doubt the remaining mercenary forces could muster a regiment between them.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2011, 08:12:31 »
It's no wonder for the follow up, they glassed the place.

and then Circinus, you know, just to be sure  8)

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2011, 09:36:57 »
Four regiments? Wild Geese and Stalking Horse were severely understrength and I doubt the remaining mercenary forces could muster a regiment between them.

Ah, I had forgotten the Geese and Horse got their asses kicked on Spica. So, it was probably closer to a little under three regiments; that's still an impressively large battle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2011, 18:28:28 »
There was suppose to be bunch of filler small mercenary units, that made up another part of the force.  But from way i read the Vaji, they kinda fragmented under the horrors that Manei Domini bring to the table, specially there infantry.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Twinkiemonkie

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2011, 18:57:51 »
Always loved how the Regulans were the resident badasses of the FWL.  Too too bad they got waxed just to show the universe how much more badass WOB was. :-\

There's plenty of other Stackpole characters who can state things that are really obvious in a smug fashion like it's some great discovery.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2011, 19:45:01 »
Always loved how the Regulans were the resident badasses of the FWL.  Too too bad they got waxed just to show the universe how much more badass WOB was. :-\

Well, their not done being bad asses i hope.  They were rebuilt, but smaller and were fighting the Blakist during the Jihad.  Hopefully, Final Recking will clear up what heck they did.   Rolling Thunder and Green Monster Assault Battalion was suppose been rebuilt in 3070s and sent in fight the Blakist.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2011, 23:22:55 »

See, I never got that impression of the Regulans until the Jihad. In the original House Marik sourcebook, they're portrayed as a nation of venal merchants and compared to Oriente and Marik, they fielded a pretty small army.

Twinkiemonkie

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 26 July 2011, 00:16:20 »
See, I never got that impression of the Regulans until the Jihad. In the original House Marik sourcebook, they're portrayed as a nation of venal merchants and compared to Oriente and Marik, they fielded a pretty small army.

For me much of it comes from the 1st Regulan Hussars who managed to maintain elite status and still give the Clans a drubbing during Bulldog while equipped with "jury rigged machines" as well as the 4th for having an awesome name "The Kukri". 

The small army aspect is actually quite appealing because they are plucky and not some massive formation like the Davion Guards or Oriente units while still willing to stand up to "The Man" and big Marik federal government.

There's plenty of other Stackpole characters who can state things that are really obvious in a smug fashion like it's some great discovery.

Register