Author Topic: Group Design Challenge: WarShip Arms Race  (Read 195333 times)

Vition2

• Lieutenant
Re: Group Design Challenge: WarShip Arms Race
« Reply #1080 on: 29 October 2018, 16:12:41 »
Buri (Battleship)

Might be illegal.  I say might because I think the issue has been brought up and the official construction rules regarding it thrown out (I just couldn't find where it was spoken about), and a similarly potentially illegal design was already submitted in Alsadius' Charon.  In both cases the SI is more than the maximum thrust allows according to the official construction rules - 30 times the max thrust (they both should max out at 90).

It's definitely a potent min-max ship that is using learned information from past battles though.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1081 on: 29 October 2018, 16:19:13 »
Might be illegal.  I say might because I think the issue has been brought up and the official construction rules regarding it thrown out (I just couldn't find where it was spoken about), and a similarly potentially illegal design was already submitted in Alsadius' Charon.  In both cases the SI is more than the maximum thrust allows according to the official construction rules - 30 times the max thrust (they both should max out at 90).

It's definitely a potent min-max ship that is using learned information from past battles though.

It has been ruled for purposes of this game that it is not necessary to install additional fusion torches hanging off a ships ass to increase the amount of ribs on its inside or plating on its skin. 

Absent such ruling, 2/3 does not exist as a real warship, as illustrated by the fate of Tyr.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1082 on: 29 October 2018, 16:23:55 »
Well, yeh, a lot of rules have been changed, and for the worse.
Within those rules, this is a sound design.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1083 on: 29 October 2018, 16:26:58 »
Well, yeh, a lot of rules have been changed, and for the worse.
Within those rules, this is a sound design.

Disagree about for the worst - run the numbers sometime on a pure carrier let loose on 'normal' warships sometime.  If standard scale weapons are a legit threat to capital scale armor, nothing but carriers exists.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1084 on: 29 October 2018, 16:49:12 »
Didn't say worst, just worse.
I wasn't even talking about fighters; I agree that fighters are normally too strong. Although, just reducing their damage some, f.Ex. through clustering rules, might have been sufficient.
Now we'll only have ships of the line, I'm not quite sure I see the improvement in that.

What I meant was removing the limit on structure imposed by engine rating. This limit, while arbitrary, had the simple effect that a ship wanting to be tough also had be be able to move - both of which cutting into firepower.
I also think that if there's house rules, might as well increase the fuel usage, and grant a free dropship with every docking collar because no one in their right mind is using those.
Gotta work with what we have, though.  8)

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1085 on: 29 October 2018, 17:35:38 »
Eh, Im keeping the carriers.  I think a doctrine adjustment will make them worthwhile as part of a combined arms force.  Block III designs (IE whatever comes after Buri and Waljurie and Tyr) will probably be full up star-destroyer style hybrid gunship carriers, possibly with an assault component.

As for the SI limitation based on thrust - its based on overthrust, which is a lroduct of rounding.  This emphasizes 3/5 ships.  The fact that a no-cargo 3/5 of 150 SI and remaining tonnage in firepower is perfectly balanced between armor and guns, with reasonable mobity enhanced by a rounding advantage, really rips any complexity out of the design space.  3/5 150 SI is the default.  2/3 has some value if your addicted to cargo.  4/6 is for BBFs/BCs, everything higher is raiders.

Dropships get better with medium droppers and really quite good with large droppers.

Once we have large droppers and LF batteries we get some very interesting and hard choices.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1086 on: 29 October 2018, 18:45:54 »
Well, there'd be no point in scrapping them now.
Yes, dropships get good in 10 or 20 turns. Or not, given that besides missiles they won't be able to mount any weapons that can damage a warship for a few centuries.
Edit: I just have a feeling I know where this is going to go, we'll see in a dozen turns or so if I'm right.

So is it already the next turn, now?
« Last Edit: 30 October 2018, 05:45:22 by UnLimiTeD »

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1087 on: 29 October 2018, 19:06:57 »
DC and FS have an outstanding battle.  Once thats in, they should be able to do their turns.  Everyone else already can/has.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1088 on: 29 October 2018, 21:05:14 »
The TC turn is waiting on some questions about fire control errata, highways, etc...  The Vega battle also raises some doctrine related questions I'd like to settle.

I updated the links post https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1455413#msg1455413 with Buri and Duck.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1089 on: 31 October 2018, 22:02:46 »
FYI, I retconned the Taurus I v2 (https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1443669#msg1443669) to deal with the fire control bug.   The result is a very minor loss of 162 tons of cargo. 

Looking through the other designs, I suspect:
Design Missing FC
Scutum Capital Missiles https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1444186#msg1444186
Vittoria NL55s https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1428144#msg1428144
Trojan NL45s https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1436979#msg1436979
Scapha I NAC/10 https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1454602#msg1454602
Scapha II AC/5
Rapid Ventilation NAC/40 https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1444859#msg1444859
Heimdaler II Capital Missile https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1426996#msg1426996
Walkure CV https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1426996#msg1426996
Northumberland NL 55 https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1427708#msg1427708
Akagi NL 35 https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1442721#msg1442721
Tenshi Capital Missile https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1442721#msg1442721
Tate NL 35 https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1434886#msg1434886
Potemkin NAC/10 https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1444403#msg1444403
Charon LRM-20 https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1444403#msg1444403
Vincent NL 55 https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1436897#msg1436897

None of the above is confirmed, I just took a glance at the weapons layout and estimated whether or not there is an FC problem under the discovered bug.

Fixing all of that is quite a bit of work and it may indeed matter given the many have overloaded fire control with capital weapons.  Maybe we just want to go with  a fixed worksheet going forward?

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1090 on: 01 November 2018, 11:31:16 »
Sorry for the lengthy absence. I was in New York for most of the last week, and was too busy eating tasty food and dodging insane drivers to reply here. Brace yourselves for a very long reply post...

Every freak accident in the past centuries could be explained with a GM having an off day.  ;D
Forgive me if I'm just blind, for I couldn't find it, but: How are battles actually resolved?
And, assuming there's counting and virtual dice rolling involved: Would it make sense to send the preliminary numbers to a neutral party to check?

Now there's an interesting choice upon marcus:
Are the problems, in-universe, recognized as problems with the tactics, the technology, or bad execution at that moment?  :)

Battles are resolved by me rolling a few dice to see how everyone does that day(crew skill, command skill, and luck for each side) and then me crafting a battle that seems to fit with the fleets, stated doctrines, and dice rolls for both sides. There's no explicit mechanical rules available, largely because if there was you'd all max-min like crazy.

More Detail:
Perception of need for doctrine/design change is based on the following.

1.)  6CVA + 6 CVE (6MT) conduct a fighter strike of ~5000 Fighters, defeat 3 CA (2.25MT).  Of those 3, 2 are hard killed, 1 is mission killed.  The 6MT of carriers contributes nothing further to the fight.  Mission killing 6MT of ship to eliminate 2.25MT of ship is just not sustainable.  Now, better armed carriers that could stand in the line (contributing firepower and armor to the 'gunline battle' might address this.

"Sustainable" is an interesting question in this context. If battles were more frequent, that would be an absolutely fantastic outcome. Even if 30% of those battles end with your fleet getting mousetrapped and killed, that's still a good loss ratio.

2.)  6 CA (Tyr) badly outperformed by 3 CA (Atago, already damaged) 6 DD (Minekaze) and (presumable?) 4-6 FF (Tate).  Now, some of the problem in this phase of the battle grows out of 1, above - the CVAs and CVEs play zero role in this phase, contributing neither fire nor armor.  Again, CVAs and CVEs that stand in the line, contributing armor and fire would help, but given the light missile load on Walkurie and Heimdaller, I cannot say that the Admiral made a clearly wrong call in keeping them out of harms way. (though I anticipate that the box score would have been better had the carriers stayed in the gunfight launching missiles and absorbing fire - the losses for BOTH sides would have been heavier).

The CV wing *did* use their missiles, but they fired at extreme range and fell back once their tubes were dry. They need to stay close enough to recover fighters, and to provide some mutual support - it's not like scattering to avoid being run down would work in this case, after all, so they mostly just wanted to hang back a bit. (And even if they *had* been up close, they'd be low-priority targets in a gun battle. Unlike WW2, they have armor comparable to the gunships, so it's not like you can just rack up carrier kills. Better to silence the guns and run down the carriers later.)

3.)  Because of 1 and 2 above, the underlying doctrine (Carrier strike, Cruiser Gunline defeats/defends against survivors of carrier strike) failed.  Now, we know out of character that it failed because of poor rolls on the part of the LC force, and because of the presence of a swarm of Civilian Dropships that both served as AAA/PDS, and to absorb incoming missiles.  But the characters in game dont know they rolled poorly, and must assume that the enemy will in the future also have the 'Free Milita Dropship Swarm' (even if not free because it has to be paid for post hoc, still free in that it didnt have to be paid for before!)

Looking at responses to this battle, I think the "militia dropships" need some further consideration. We can argue that they're actually Army units, not militia, which answers the "why are they fighting in pitched battles?" question, but the budget is still wacky. (Hell, maybe I need to give you an army budget. No designs, but a price on regiments, combined with the ability to buy DS out of that budget, would perhaps fix this? IDK.)

5.)  You really cant build a ship with more fighters per ton than Walkurie.  You CAN build a navy with more fighters than the LC, at the cost of all other capabilities... but I dont see another 6 CVs deckloads killing enough to keep the survivors from running down and eliminating the carriers.   Faster carriers and missiles fired from longer ranges might allow more reload/reattack - but at 4/6, youve lost about half your fighter carriage.  Firing at long or extreme range, youve lost half or more of your hits.  In such a scenario, your emptiying the decks of 6 Megatonnes of carrier to kill on a good day ONE Cruiser.  Thats just doesnt work.  On the reverse, you can with casual ease build a ship, or a navy, with far, far more AAA/PDS than the DC brought.

Fair.

For the above reasons, current LC design and doctrine is a failure, and a dead end, from an OOC perspective.  Now, its possible that in-universe the Navy will pitch this loss as a win - after all, the German Navy called Jutland a win, despite fleeing the field, based on total losses inflicted.  However, it seems that the Naval Prognosticators of the universe should be looking at this and seeing IC what I'm seeing OOC.

Whether or not they *will*, ~tips hat to Unlimited~, is another story.  The Lyran Military History primarily consists of being assigned a dominant economic position and then carrying the idiot ball sufficiently far to ensure that that dominant economic position is rendered meaningless.  Im thinking having the navy stick its fingers in its ears and singing 'lalalalalalala', while yelling at its pilots to get closer, yelling at their missile designers to invent missiles that kill ships, and building to replace losses while conducting RnD and ignoring the elephant in the living room would certainly be the sort of thing that has happened before.

One doctrine change that IS possible... a high speed engagement profile might allow missiles to hit hard enough to meet their promise, but a 2/3 fleet only does high speed engagement where the enemy allows or it has serious recon superiority.

TBH, with your fleet the way it is, I'd probably aim for high-speed passing engagements as often as possible. Your fighter force is ridiculously large, and that has the best performance per unit mass in single-shot engagements by far. It's not even a mission kill for the carriers if they can stay out of combat for a day or so to recover, sleep, re-arm, and re-launch. And aside from the Charon, nobody has the fuel to move faster than 1g for any sort of strategic length of time, so you don't even have a mobility disadvantage there.

Proper warship ECM hasn't been invented yet. We also haven't delved into what 5K-15K AC/5s from the Lyran ASFs should have done. 

Some ECM exists (it's my fluff explanation for why it's harder to hit at long range, even with light-speed weapons), but it'll get better with the ECM tech. (I don't have numbers for this yet.) As for the AC/5s, they don't stick around for long in the first engagement, and they don't have time to adjust targets to aim for holes. They'll do some damage, but not very much, and it's incorporated into the damage done by the missiles.

I can see where Marcus is coming from here.   If the plan for a fighter-heavy strategy is:
  • NLs don't have a +3 to hit penalty.
  • NLs have a 360 arc.
  • NLs are an automatic kill vs. fighters
  • 5 AC/5 shots kill Lyran fighters.
  • 70+ Civilian dropships are up-armed and armored to military standards for free when facing fighter strikes.
  • Lyran ASF don't have (or refuse to use) MGs for defense against Barracudas.
  • Lyran ASF don't have (or refuse to use) AC/5s or other mech-scale weapons in their attack pass.
it makes the fighter heavy strategy look like a cartoon.   Maybe the rolls are so overwhelmingly important that they wash out most/all of the value of design and even the battletech rules and commonsense.  Or maybe the plan is that every design is roughly equivalent with rules adjusting as necessary to make that so.  Either way, it means that investing fighter-heavy designs doesn't make much sense.  In the first case nothing matters while in the second case, you'd rather have 50% more battleships.

I'll note here that massed fighter strikes are easily countered with massed MGs---it just requires appropriate designs to do so (... see TC).   Hence, it's not like we are talking about something unbalanced.

Some clarification about fighter armor vs. mech scale weapons seems like a good idea.  If ASF armor is going to be treated as 1/10th normal thickness vs. mech scale weapons (as happened here) and the Combine upgrades AAA (entirely sensible after this battle), this may not be viable.

Related, I glanced through all the 50+ ton designs in TR3039 just now.  Every one of them (even the infamous Chippewa) would typically survive a single NL35 hit in the default rules.  I'm personally fine with treating capital scale damage as x100 standard scale damage as that makes more sense than the standard x10 anyways, but maybe we should be explicit about this.

I think it's clear that I need to analyze my numbers a bit more closely here.

A bug report: It appears that fire control tonnage is a factor of 10 to low for every arc except the nose.  As an example, J9 compute the total weapon tonnage in FR, then multiplies by 0.1.  J6 then multiplies by 0.1 again when computing fire control tonnage from the FR arc.

Is this something to fix or part of the rules of this game?

That's a bug - previously mentioned in this thread, but I haven't had a chance to fix it. I'll fix it by this weekend.

Well the Lyran Commonwealth has been updated on the Master Sheet so you can do your turn Marcus, is that DC vs FS fight still on, or put off for next turn?

Still on. I'll do it up this weekend.

Thought that was writers fiat....

But then how does one expand? I either take what I want ( or can keep, looking at you FWL, don't eat me purple byrd! ), or is there another way?

Would this be feasible? I specifically " attack " a planet, say Trondheimal in the Illyrian Palatinate, even though their not really colonized yet, and " take " control of it as in defending territory and rebuilding the system to my realm's patronage?

It's like calling " Dibs " on something and then defending said Dibs from all others. While this would let me to honor my expansionist behavior, it would also allow others to seek out my claims for themselves. ( Don't try it I says! Stupid purple byrd! )

Thoughts or is this too much? Cause the only action I got is becoming a long term bank sink... or expand. So much one can do...

The RWR has spent a lot of their budget encouraging colonial efforts and economic development thus far - between the faster communications of a command circuit, government-funded JS/DS to help establish colonies, and so on, it's probably been half their budget. They've seen their economy grow faster than other nations as a result. The outer limits of the Inner Sphere are not fixed, and this is not a SW-era game where exploration is considered passe. All nations are engaged in colonial activities right now(including the Marians), and that's part of the economic growth we see every turn.

This includes both the opening of new planets and the development of thinly-settled worlds, FYI - a planet outside the TH is considered large and important if it has a couple hundred million people in this era, but many settled planets can be developed to nearly the same scale as Terra if the economy and population exists to develop it that far.

I found myself flipping through turns trying to find individual designs, so I made a master set of design links.   This provides easy access to detail beyond the turn-tracking spreadsheet.

You are my hero.

Those are intentional rules changes. Speeds round to the nearest 0.1 now, and SI is un-capped.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1091 on: 01 November 2018, 13:33:43 »
All nations are engaged in colonial activities right now(including the Marians)...

Yeah!  :)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1092 on: 01 November 2018, 20:31:19 »
Draconis Combine Turn - 2410

**FOR DCA PERSONNNEL EYES ONLY**

DCA Memorandum

3rd January 2410,

1. Despite the celebrations from high command, the battle of Kannon was a much closer affair then first believed. After the battle between twenty and thirty anti-ship missiles were found embedded in the hulls of each of the surviving vessels, their warheads having failed to detonate and their Allied Conglomerates of Military Engineering logos still legible on the side of the missiles. We estimate between fifteen and twenty percent of Lyran missiles either failed to detonate or suffered guidance malfunctions causing them to miss their targets even when fired at such close range.
2. Based upon the battle of Kannon and other engagements that have occurred across the Inner Sphere, We have reached the conclusion that fighters are almost harmless to all but the smallest WarShips after expending their anti-ship missiles. Thus there is little need to mount anti-fighter weapons upon the Atago or the still unbuilt Nagato designs. Such armament can be saved for the Tate, and to a lesser extent Minekaze.
3. Point Defense systems on board DCA vessels (with the exception of the Akagi and Tate) are grossly inadequate, only the unusually high failure rate of Lyran missiles kept our fleet intact. Possible refits to resolve this issue are currently in the planning stages.
4. An investigation into the Allied Conglomerates of Military Engineering -with whom we also do business- shall be held, and any wrongdoing on the part of A.C.M.E. Shall result in immediate cancellation of all contracts, and the arrest and trial of the offending parties.
5. As to these 'Ares Conventions', the Admiralty accepts the banning of nuclear weapons, mostly because we cannot match the Lyrans in volume of missile fire, and have already ordered against the use of orbital bombardment on civilian targets except when fired upon by ground-to-orbit weapons concealed within those civilian areas.

Code: [Select]
Year: 2410 Value in Millions
Money Available 117,000
Remaining from Last Turn 2400
Available Shipyards

Luthien 3/2/2/1
New Samarkand 5/2
Midway 1

Repairs Whole Fleet 35000

Maintanence Warships 209687 12% 25162.44
The Rest 55120 10% 5512

Prototype

Refits

Construction Unit Price
Shipyards New Sam

Stations Onsen 0 451 0
Tenshi 5 388 1,940
Warships Nagato 0 13,640 0
Atago 2 9,362 18,724
Akagi 0 9,016 0
Fubuki 0 7,221 0
Minekaze 1 6,097 6097
Tate 1 4,729 4,729
Kutai 0 6,081 0
Trojan 0 0 0
Jumpships 0 500 0
Dropships 40 300 12,000
Fighters 800 5 4,000
Small Craft 200 10 2000
Research Miniaturisation 2,000 1 2000
Strengthening 6000 1 6000
Advancement 2000 1 2000

Total Spent 129181.44

Income
Marian Loan 1 1000 1000
Kutai/Tech Sales 5000 5000

Remaining 236

Future Income

Start Turn In Service Value BV
Warships Atago 5 46810 83558
Akagi 3 27048 47717
Fubuki 3 21663 57421
Minekaze 6 36582 66478
Tate 10 47290 26605
Kutai 3 18243 15629
Trojan 3 12051 15229
Total 33 209687
Maintanence 12% 25162.44

Stations Onsen 20 9020
Tenshi 10 3880
Jumpships 36 18000
Dropships Small 0 0

Fighters 3106 15530
Small Craft 869 8690
Total 55120
Maintanence 10% 5512

Total Maintanence 30674.44

End Turn In Service
Warships Atago 7 65534
Akagi 3 27048
Fubuki 3 21663
Minekaze 7 42679
Tate 11 52019
Kutai 2 12162
Trojan 3 12051
Total 37 237173
Maintanence 12% 27978.72

Stations Onsen 20 9020
Tenshi 15 5820
Jumpships 36 18000
Dropships Small 30 9000

Fighters 3906 19530
Small Craft 1069 10690
Total 72060
Rest Maintanence 10% 7206
Total Maintanence 35184.72

Fleet Deployment

Galedon   Akagi-class –    Akagi
      Atago-class –    Atago, Maya
      Minekaze   Hayate, Shikinami
      Tate-class    -    Galedon, Proserpina, Oshika

Benjamin   Akagi-class – Kaga
      Atago-class – Takao, Kashima
      Minekaze    - Minekaze, Yukikaze
      Tate-class    - Benjamin, Dieron, Baldur

Rasalhague   Akagi-class – Soryu
             Atago-class – Kinagusa, Nachi
                 Minekaze    - Satsuki, Yayoi
             Tate-class    - Luthien, Pesht, Xinyang

Luthien   Atago-class       - Kako
                Minekaze-class  - Asagiri
                Tate-class         - Tinaca, Proserpina
                Fubuki-class   - Fubuki, Ibuki, Yudachi
      Kutai-class   - Kutai, Rasalhague

Each fleetgroup is centred upon it's Akagi-class carrier, with 2 Atago's and 2 Minekaze's providing the bulk of the firepower and the 3 Tate's keeping enemy strike craft at a safe distance. Luthien battlegroup represents the fleet reserve, used to reinforce any of our borders as needed and otherwise conducting internal anti-pirate patrols, waving the flag and bringing unaffiliated colonies along our border under the Coordinators protection.

EDIT: Added opinion on Ares Conventions in Memorandum.
Edit #2: Further edit to reflect sale of the DCS Trondheim to the Marian Hegemony.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2018, 01:55:37 by Smegish »

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1093 on: 01 November 2018, 22:20:34 »
Wow.  41 hulls in service to my... 25.  Closer on total megatonnage, but still.  -starts writing letters to the Archons about a ‘Cruiser Gap’-

A lot of which is a product of over-upgrading yards, and doing not only a new hull, but a refit series - still, had to be done.

Also?  ACME?  I loled.  Hard.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1094 on: 02 November 2018, 04:49:24 »
Wow.  41 hulls in service to my... 25.  Closer on total megatonnage, but still.  -starts writing letters to the Archons about a ‘Cruiser Gap’-

A lot of which is a product of over-upgrading yards, and doing not only a new hull, but a refit series - still, had to be done.

Yeah, but when your doctrine is "the fleet shall never, ever be divided for any reason", hull count seems somewhat irrelevant.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1095 on: 02 November 2018, 05:17:28 »
Larger ships have advantages. Like being more clearly better at everything both absolutely and per investment. You kind of pay for that in flexibility/mobility.
Do we have a list somewhere of the total amount of house rules?
« Last Edit: 02 November 2018, 05:28:49 by UnLimiTeD »

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1096 on: 02 November 2018, 05:33:32 »
Unlimited, any chance we could convince you to join in? The Free Worlds League is looking for an admiral to lead them to greatness, or chaos. 😆

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1097 on: 02 November 2018, 06:19:11 »
Yeah, but when your doctrine is "the fleet shall never, ever be divided for any reason", hull count seems somewhat irrelevant.

Well, yes and no.  I expect its going to become unavoidable from political necessity - politicians that dont understand that sending not enough ships is worse than sending zero ships, the inevitability of time in drydock/refit/reconditioning, etc.

Further - thats the line of battle, not the whole fleet.  Aside from needed escorts, some of those Class I are going to have to carry the flag, maintain presence, do all those ‘not fightthing other warships’ things warships do.  Im going to do up another light class next turn or two specifically for that - and to reduce the need to divy up the line.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1098 on: 02 November 2018, 08:43:54 »

Interestingly, MUCH closer on megattonage than I thought - 18.16 for the DC, 17.18 for the LC.  Situation is muddied somewhat because the DC maintains more 'older' hulls, and more smaller ships, but at the same time carriers more dropships with them into the fight.

"Geography is Destiny"
-many people

Running Income Totals, including starting yards:
1.)  FWL:  832B
2.)  DCL  813B
3.)  LC:  762B
4.)  FS:  736B
5.)  CC:  662B

This fits my internal perception of the relative positions of the various powers.  FWL's only real military conflict (other than last turns plot battle) has been with a significantly smaller power, and it has been advantaged thereby.  Being positioned between two weaker powers helps their position.  DC may exclipse FWL due to higher (current) income, but DC has the FS for a neighbor, and FWL has the CC.  I know which id rather deal with.

LC pretty comfortably in 3.  Little conflict (before this turn) allowed for an extended build phase on yards that (while regretted at the moment) may pay off over time - only the FWL has a larger yard, and it only has ONE.  LCs rising buget is helping, but it is still less than DC, and would have to be considerably above DC for a considerable period of time to make up the DC headstart.

FS might be better positioned than LC, even with the slightly smaller budget - both share a DC border, but again, the FS has the benefit of having a border with the CC, while the LC has to face the FWL.  Still, one can only expect that Spartafreedomerica the FedSuns will prosper, long term - once they inherit the UHCs budget and legacy production, for example, theyll likely shoot straight to the top of the power rankings.

The CC fills its designated role in the BT Universe, here exacerbated by frequent conflict with superior neighbors eager to pick off pieces of the CC for the free and permanent budget buff they can use against their 'real' opponents.  If LC and DC Leadership were -smart- (Protip:  They are not), theyd call off their own pissing contests and send a few squadrons down to the CC for 'joint training exercise' all up and down the FWL border and the Crucis March.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1099 on: 02 November 2018, 09:43:45 »
Some questions to finish the TC turn:

• I was looking into an Independence (https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1420220#msg1420220) refit and discovered the base design has way to much armor.  I'm also shaky on whether or not a 75K ton primitive core ship is legal given that you are supposed to use the warship rules by default and 100K tons is the smallest warship.  Obviously, this is a nonissue as long as it's mothballed, but it's tempting to reactivate and refit a warship given the Navy's recent budget increase.  I'm not sure what to do exactly here.  Advice?
  • Are the Siesta stations working?  In particular, are they effectively connecting the Spinward and Anti-spinward portions of the TC?  Previously, the claim was that merchants propagate information at the speed of a jump every day or two.   Is that roughly accurate along the Siesta highways?  And is this enabling merchant traffic itself (goods & people) to more economically move about the TC? Basically, I'm wondering if I need a formal jump circuit or is the highway system effectively providing the desired benefits?
  • Can we settle on standard designs for non-capital classes?  That helps pin down fleet needs more crisply and may force a refit for the TC depending on whether this leaves existent designs viable.  All the named designs are here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1455413#msg1455413  An extra personnel carrier is here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1449033#msg1449033 and 4 specialized dropships are here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61764.msg1449218#msg1449218 .   
  • I don't want to belabor the DC/LC fight more, but there are several policy implications around it related to how robust fighters are, how effective Naval Lasers are against fighters, and whether or not we can expect to borrow near mil-spec dropships at will.  Whatever clarity you can provide after you do a more careful review this weekend is welcome.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1100 on: 02 November 2018, 09:58:10 »
Unlimited, any chance we could convince you to join in? The Free Worlds League is looking for an admiral to lead them to greatness, or chaos.
Actually, you can. I've even agreed already. However, so far I am not convinced the original player of the FLW isn't ever coming back, so as to not usurp someone's work, I figured I'd take a smaller faction. And yes, given my current preferred faction I am aware of the irony of that statement.
Of course, if the majority of people want all the large positions to be filled, or it is absolutely sure he's not coming back, I could reconsider.

On an interesting sidenode, quoting the smiley you used breaks posting.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1101 on: 02 November 2018, 10:14:50 »
Actually, you can. I've even agreed already. However, so far I am not convinced the original player of the FLW isn't ever coming back, so as to not usurp someone's work, I figured I'd take a smaller faction. And yes, given my current preferred faction I am aware of the irony of that statement.
Of course, if the majority of people want all the large positions to be filled, or it is absolutely sure he's not coming back, I could reconsider.

On an interesting sidenode, quoting the smiley you used breaks posting.
Maingunnery has been inactive since August and explicitly told Alsadius at the time he probably would not be back.  I think it's preferable for you to take over the FWL from the overall game perspective. 

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1102 on: 02 November 2018, 10:38:01 »
FWIW:  Im quite comfortable with Naval Lasers being one shot kills on fighters.  At 700 tons per mount for the NL/35, its unreasonable to expect a 100 ton at most fighter to survive - any more than being in the bursting radius of a 5” DP Proxy Shell was surviviable for a WW2 Naval Fighter.  That said, we have to figure out how many times they can fire and how accurately.

And for me the NLs are really just that.. the 4-6” dual purpose mounts. 

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1103 on: 02 November 2018, 10:42:49 »
FWIW:  Im quite comfortable with Naval Lasers being one shot kills on fighters.  At 700 tons per mount for the NL/35, its unreasonable to expect a 100 ton at most fighter to survive - any more than being in the bursting radius of a 5” DP Proxy Shell was surviviable for a WW2 Naval Fighter.  That said, we have to figure out how many times they can fire and how accurately.
Yeah, I entirely agree here.  As far as I know, nothing breaks in the game if capital scale = x100 standard scale and many things arguably make more sense.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1104 on: 02 November 2018, 11:10:21 »
I think fighters are already useless.
They can't damage warships, they die like flies, and any capability besides non-nuclear ground support they may provide is cheaper to just incorporate into the actual warship.
They are not quite as bad as dropships, but those are at least a necessity if one wants to actually capture a planet.
I originally wondered how to best create a Flak-ship, but I'm rather convinced now that "not" is the most reasonable answer.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1105 on: 02 November 2018, 11:23:19 »
They can't damage warships, they die like flies, and any capability besides non-nuclear ground support they may provide is cheaper to just incorporate into the actual warship.
They are not quite as bad as dropships, but those are at least a necessity if one wants to actually capture a planet.
I originally wondered how to best create a Flak-ship, but I'm rather convinced now that "not" is the most reasonable answer.

Eh.  I wouldnt go so far as to say useless.  Weve seen a LONG series of assumptions about PDS efficacy, AAA efficacy, missile accuracy, and the naval effectiveness of army dropships all break against them, and they still werent useless - nor do I think enemy fighters can be safely IGNORED, once present.

I do think that, like missiles, they are a bad design choice.  Both systems suffer from limited shots, and must be decisive within those limited shots.  Missiles are even worse - missiles do less damage per ton investment than 'normal' guns past about 8-10 rounds per tube, and thats BEFORE you allow PDS to shoot at them.  The TT payoffs for missiles (notably, the free crit chance) has not been noticeable here - likely due to balance decisions meant to prevent missile boat dominance, or perhaps because the scale of conflict is such that ships dont much get injured - mostly they just die.

So.. if you take over FWL... id either slap on some AAA/PDS, though likley (based on Vega) not much, or I'd lay an escort for your Heracles (though likely not a lot).  I dont think ignoring fighters is reasonable based on IC information - but neither do I think that going crazy-nuts on defenses makes sense, either. 

Frankly, with a bit more SI and a bit less cargo, the existing Heracles is a solid design.  Id likely either refit, or just do a follow on class.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1106 on: 02 November 2018, 11:24:58 »
If you make a warship with 2160 (=3x 720) AC 5's in covering arcs, you need about 830K tons.  That's a significantly heavier payload than 720 fighter bays (=108K tons) with each fighter having 3x AC 5s.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1107 on: 02 November 2018, 12:01:36 »
I think carriers are the optimal design for a high-speed crossing engagement - no other weapon option has an equal weight of damage per ton of ship weight, aside from the rather degenerate option of missile launchers with one shot each. And even they start getting worse on larger ships, as fire control weight adds up.

Also, does the idea of a bare-bones army budget hold any appeal for you guys? I'll keep the rules dead simple (perhaps 2-3 flat-cost regiment options, JS/DS, Castles Brian, and maintenance for those), but it may deal neatly with the "militia DropShips" issue.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1108 on: 02 November 2018, 12:10:57 »
Yes, but what would AC5s even do? They can't damage warships? Meanwhile, using fighters as Point defense is reasonable, but at a limit of 20 guns per fighter, I'll have to have a lot of guns already for that to be more efficient.
High speed engagements might work, but those are mostly just a matter of "who loses less". I think just a plain damage modifier would have been sufficient to balance them.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1109 on: 02 November 2018, 12:15:15 »
I think carriers are the optimal design for a high-speed crossing engagement - no other weapon option has an equal weight of damage per ton of ship weight, aside from the rather degenerate option of missile launchers with one shot each. And even they start getting worse on larger ships, as fire control weight adds up.

Also, does the idea of a bare-bones army budget hold any appeal for you guys? I'll keep the rules dead simple (perhaps 2-3 flat-cost regiment options, JS/DS, Castles Brian, and maintenance for those), but it may deal neatly with the "militia DropShips" issue.

Im not against it as such - but I think it might be cleaner to just keep the Army oit of naval engagements entirely.  If our focus here is on naval matters, I fear that bringing the Army into it as a budgetary element under our control will result in us retasking as much as possible into serving naval interest.  Perhaps better to let the dropships we buy be the only ones of naval value, and the Army Transports merely be present - not contributing, even as fire sinks, and succeding or failing, suffering commensurate losses or not, as a side effect of the naval engagement.

As tor high speed engagement - Ive revised my thinking.  While greater agility allows one to chose or decline engagement and chose the engagement profile if any (unless detection range is too lose to counter the opponents vector), it seems that a defender, tied to a fixed point, would likelh be forced to accept high or low speed engagement at the attackers choice.  Thus at Vega, the ‘attacking’ LCN could have built up speed to force a high speed engagement against the DCN ‘defenders’ over the invaded world - leaving the DCN the choice of sidestepping with their greater thrust (and potentially surrendering control of the space over the planet, at least temporarily), or standing and accepting the high speed engagement.

To this end, and even with the presence of Buri (call her insurance for a low speed engagmeent condition) I agree that the LCN should probably try for high speed passes where possible - and will do so - so long as fighter/missile cover is sufficient.

Register