BattleTech Player Boards > Novel and Sourcebook Reviews

Question Regarding the Archer’s Avengers Series

(1/5) > >>

Ultralightweight:
First apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have a minor question regarding the Archer’s Avengers novel series.

In the series Archer Christifori is repeatedly referred to as a modern Stonewall Jackson. This has bugged me for a while because the correct comparison from the American Civil War is clearly General Sherman.

Like Sherman Christifori is operating behind enemy lines to disrupt their war making efforts. Like Sherman Christifori has to resupply with what he can take from the enemy he’s fighting.

I recognize this is a minor issue, but it’s stuck with me since reading the series. Is there something I’m missing? Does anyone else feel the same way?

Weirdo:
The author in question is known to be a big fan of the Confederacy. Good odds that was a factor in his choices.

Forum Members are instructed to NOT use this as an opportunity to dig up the drama surrounding that author. Talking about the fictional characters and historical generals in question is okay, within reason.

Ultralightweight:
Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that, and it’s kind of a bummer given that those are some of my favorite novels.

Please feel free to delete the thread if it’s a contentious issue.

Caesar Steiner for Archon:
It makes sense if you look at it as another bad idea Victor had that cost him support among the greater populace.

"You know what will really play well in a realm of Germano-Irish-Pakistani-Scot-ANZACs? Civil war allusions! To the losing side! That's who we wanna market ourselves as, trust me."

BrianDavion:

--- Quote from: Caesar Steiner for Archon on 10 January 2024, 14:39:51 ---It makes sense if you look at it as another bad idea Victor had that cost him support among the greater populace.

"You know what will really play well in a realm of Germano-Irish-Pakistani-Scot-ANZACs? Civil war allusions! To the losing side! That's who we wanna market ourselves as, trust me."

--- End quote ---

I just look at it as an American writer referancing stuff he cares about, no reason to look any further then that.
It's a common issue with writing in general, you also see a LOT of WW2 referances, more then is proably reasonable, for the same reason.

That said I thibnk if you want an IC answer, Christofi simply had a hard on for an obscure historical topic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version