Author Topic: The Scorpion Empire : Plus Ultra  (Read 199853 times)

Archangel

• Major
Re: Bienvenidos al Imperio del Escorpión II : Necrosia Boogaloo
« Reply #480 on: 04 July 2016, 06:43:46 »
Exactly. I don't remember reading that. I don't think it was even inferred.

Decoy implied it.

Either way, it strikes me as a cathartic match up. The Goliath Scorpions let their scientist caste do the same thing the Coyote's scientist caste did and were given every opportunity to put their house in order. Not to mention the Goliath Scorpions oversaw the cleansing of the Coyote clan.

A member of the Coyote scientist caste was elected Khan thereby giving them (and by extension the Society) effective control of the Clan.

(Side note:  It is one of the many issues I have with WoR, most of which revolve around individuals, if not entire Clans, acting against their established character but was allowed because the author was given free reign as long as the desired end results were reached.  I mean seriously how is a member of the scientist caste even eligible for becoming Khan in Clan Coyote?  After all they weren't the Diamond Sharks.)

It was just after the Wars of Reaving, everyone was still uncomfortable with the Society's gene games, what the Scorps did would be fine if it weren't for that, so the Cobras heavily trumped it up to paint the Scorps in an evil light and do them away with.

Don't forget why the Reavings started in the first place.  The ELH DNA was tainted by the Grand Council's established standards and should have been disposed of.  When questioned about the ELH members adopted by the Scorpions, they replied that they had all either been killed in combat or tested out of the warrior caste.  Instead the Scorpions were secretly looking to introduce their genes into their gene pool.  They were at the pinnacle of their power, but were impatient and got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

They should have hidden the ELH genes away and waited a couple years for the situation to stabilize before starting work on the genes.  Instead they started working on them while some of the surviving Clans were still looking to strengthen their blood pools which is why the Cobras attacked in the first place.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
« Reply #481 on: 04 July 2016, 09:48:46 »
(Side note:  It is one of the many issues I have with WoR, most of which revolve around individuals, if not entire Clans, acting against their established character but was allowed because the author was given free reign as long as the desired end results were reached.  I mean seriously how is a member of the scientist caste even eligible for becoming Khan in Clan Coyote?  After all they weren't the Diamond Sharks.)
individuals, sometimes entire cultures, change through time. WoR was the first time (that I can remember) Clans and their population were acting like real people instead of a monolithic "Warrior culture" that didn't changed over the centuries. The Coyotes elected a scientist because they changed the rules. The unbelievable part isn't that they change it, is that they took ~200 years to do so

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #482 on: 04 July 2016, 18:41:17 »
individuals, sometimes entire cultures, change through time. WoR was the first time (that I can remember) Clans and their population were acting like real people instead of a monolithic "Warrior culture" that didn't changed over the centuries. The Coyotes elected a scientist because they changed the rules. The unbelievable part isn't that they change it, is that they took ~200 years to do so

Yes individuals and entire cultures change over time not overnight.  Khan Kufahl firmly believed that "tradition and honor [were] the guiding ideals of his Clan" (FM:WC, p48) yet in WoR he forsook both when he joined forces with the Society before the Wars of Reaving had even seriously begun and authorized Clan forces to initiate dezgra attacks without even trying more traditional means (meaning Trials of course) of stopping the reavings that the Coyotes and the Society opposed.

Regardless this discussion belongs in its own separate thread.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #483 on: 04 July 2016, 21:49:54 »
Okay, I can agree to that interpretation. It made a handy excuse to get rid of a Clan the Adders couldn't control, in any case.

Yeah. They weren't a Snake Ally. Plus the Cobras have a good track record of backstabbing people.

The way the Cobra assault on the genetic facility was written implies that they knew what the Scorps were doing beforehand and wanted real evidence to present to the Grand Council.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #484 on: 05 July 2016, 05:12:01 »
Yeah. They weren't a Snake Ally. Plus the Cobras have a good track record of backstabbing people.

The way the Cobra assault on the genetic facility was written implies that they knew what the Scorps were doing beforehand and wanted real evidence to present to the Grand Council.

I thought it was more a matter of the Cobra's being desperate for genetic material. Their own samples were hopelessly corrupted, and they were equally desperate to keep that a secret.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

jackson123

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #485 on: 05 July 2016, 06:27:30 »
So their actions ended up costing them a spot with the home clans and forced them to run for safety. They might make good middle men for a inner sphere home clan conflict.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #486 on: 05 July 2016, 09:56:09 »
I thought it was more a matter of the Cobra's being desperate for genetic material. Their own samples were hopelessly corrupted, and they were equally desperate to keep that a secret.

I don't know for sure, but the ilKhan did put a moratorium on the genetics program, so everyone was on an equal footing during that time. The Cobras didn't need to be that desperate.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #487 on: 05 July 2016, 11:02:17 »
From p. 161 of The Wars of Reaving:

The news was worse than bad: it was almost catastrophic. Most of the genetic legacies were tainted through gene mixing with unidentified strains. In some cases, the legacies were untouched except through heavy radioactive exposure. Roughly nine percent of the Clan’s genetic heritage was pure; the rest were suspected or conclusively corrupted in some manner.

So I'd say that made them desperate. This led to the following (from p. 162)

In early 3078, Cobra scientists had finished their secondary project on Strana Mechty and identified a large number of Ice Hellion genetic legacies (now held by the Scorpions) that would help rebuild the Cobra’s genetic stock.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #488 on: 05 July 2016, 21:42:36 »
Yeah, that is agreeable  O0

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #489 on: 08 July 2016, 14:18:28 »
so does that make them the Ice Cobras or the Cloud Hellions?  ;D

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #490 on: 08 July 2016, 15:16:38 »
so does that make them the Ice Cobras or the Cloud Hellions?  ;D

Whichever the Adders allow them to be ;)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #491 on: 08 July 2016, 19:58:59 »
Whichever the Adders allow them to be ;)

Well, guess I'm now a fan of the Pink Pony Clan...
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #492 on: 08 July 2016, 20:12:16 »
Well, guess I'm now a fan of the Pink Pony Clan...

Oh? You sure about this? Now now... there's a real chance we Pink Ponies won't like your codex, quiaff?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #493 on: 08 July 2016, 20:56:03 »
Oh? You sure about this? Now now... there's a real chance we Pink Ponies won't like your codex, quiaff?

I'm sure he'll be a good fit. He got top marks in Prancing and Making Poop Out Of Grass.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #494 on: 08 July 2016, 21:11:27 »
I don't know... we made that Teddy Bear guy cry last time.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #495 on: 08 July 2016, 22:14:43 »
I don't know... we made that Teddy Bear guy cry last time.

But...but...friendship is ammunition, right? Or something like that.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #496 on: 09 July 2016, 05:57:47 »

But...but...friendship is ammunition, right? Or something like that.

Huh, I thought it was friends are ammunition.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #497 on: 09 July 2016, 08:34:45 »

Por que no las dos?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #498 on: 11 July 2016, 12:10:53 »

Yup, elementals are gauss ammunition and armor..
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #499 on: 12 July 2016, 10:48:59 »
The newest about the Coyotes attacking the Imperio has me thinking of that old bit about the dog and the scorpion.

Wonder how the upcoming forwarding of plot will play out...  Will we have stalemate?  Or will one of them push the other out of Nueva Castile?

Which brings to mind a hope that the Scorpions DO NOT have all their eggs in this basket.  Surely they must realize they will be among the first targets of the Home Clans' thunder when it rolls out of the Kerensky Cluster.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #500 on: 14 July 2016, 05:14:18 »
The Scorpions weren't exactly in a position where they had room to make choices. The Imperio is it for a reason
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #501 on: 16 July 2016, 11:29:43 »
If the Scorpions became El Imperio...I wonder what the Coyotes will become...

Could...we possibly end up with DON COYOTE?

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #502 on: 16 July 2016, 20:34:16 »
Nah. They're already Apaches. Their battlecry should be "Geronimo!"

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #503 on: 16 July 2016, 22:39:42 »
Nah. They're already Apaches. Their battlecry should be "Geronimo!"

Wait.  I just had a terrible/awesome thought.

We have Space Spain meeting up with Space Native Americans.

Guys.  Guys.  We're about to have...Space MEXICO!!!!!!!

The Deep Periphery is the BEST Periphery!!!!!!!   :D

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #504 on: 17 July 2016, 08:26:45 »
If the Coyotes alone are capable to conquer the Imperio, I somewhat doubt. IMHO there are not strong enough.

It might be an example for the Homeclans that without Adder leadership and united efforts they will e defeated.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #505 on: 17 July 2016, 11:37:23 »
Coyotes as Apaches? Nah. Apaches struck me as more Cougar favoring or Wolf favoring than Coyote. More physically powerful and direct. I will admit that my perception of Coyote and coyotes is flavored by the native tribes I have lived near. *glances at a pack of coyotes that live closer to Humptulips than any Jade Falcon will ever get*

As far as strength goes, we do not know how big the Coyote's growth explosion was. We also do not know how far the Goliath Scorpions have degraded in their time on the Castillan Worlds. It all boils down to Not Enough Information. For my own part, the Imperio has too many strikes against it. They lack infrastructure, stability, and cohesion. The Coyotes as written seem to have more going for them.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #506 on: 17 July 2016, 17:01:33 »
Well the 3103 attack is more than 20 years after the WoR.  Unlike the Scorpions who were forced to manufacture primitive BattleMechs, the Coyotes actually were capable of manufacturing Clan-tech equipment throughout this period and were able to trade/trial for most of what they couldn't.  The Scorpions didn't have a shipyard capable of repairing their WarShips or manufacturing new DropShips/JumpShips, they would have had to build the from scratch.  In addition to the setbacks all the surviving Clans' eugenics programs suffered during the Wars of Reaving, the Scorpions suffered the additional delay of having to relocate their entire program and build new facilities to house it.  Where the Coyotes could sharpen their skills in trials against the other Clans, the Imperio could only train against themselves and the occasional Clan raid.  Finally, the last we heard from the Imperio was that members of Clan Coyote's Watch were able to cause considerable internal unrest between the Clanners and the local inhabitants which slowed the Imperio's efforts considerably.

The Imperio had a lot of ground to make up in order to have any chance of surviving a serious Clan assault.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #507 on: 17 July 2016, 17:51:13 »
Sadly true. As much as I would love to see the Coyotes get their collective posteriors handed to them, I know that the odds do not favour the Imperio.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #508 on: 17 July 2016, 18:25:00 »
If the Scorpions became El Imperio...I wonder what the Coyotes will become...

Could...we possibly end up with DON COYOTE?

More like Wil E. Coyote........  O:-)

Craig

(No, not a prediction or a hint, merely a joke, with no basis in any knowledge of Battletech universal reality......Translation: I have no idea what's going to happen with that area of the universe....)
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #509 on: 17 July 2016, 22:54:41 »
I don't trust you trboturtle... not since Wombat shined your shell and stuck that dance pole on you and did the moonwalk on your back... way back when.

But then again, I've been wrong before... just blame jklantern, yeah him he started it.

TT  O:-)
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Register