Author Topic: Question about the WOB Celestial Mechs  (Read 4562 times)

Church14

• Lieutenant
Re: Question about the WOB Celestial Mechs
« Reply #30 on: 19 December 2019, 14:20:03 »
As far as WoB-exclusive mechs, are you talking about chassis exclusive (WoB is the sole user of all known variants like the Archangel) or variant exclusive (like the Hermes 4WB)?

A chassis really only used by WoB during WoB’s existence. The few used by FWL do get a pass. I don’t mind if somebody else grabbed the design post-Jihad (like the Bolla).

So the list earlier seemed pretty solid.

I know the Hermes and Panther (and others) have WoB-only variants. I’ll print out those sheets for the minis that I have, but I’m most interested in chassis that were WoB from ground up.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #31 on: 19 December 2019, 15:26:00 »
Here are a few additions to Ruger's list. Any 2750 mech eg the Thug or King Crab would be perfectly at home in a WoB formation

Jackrabbit (unless you count the RWR from the pre-exodus era)
Nexus (also Comstar)
Nexus II
Revenant
Icarus II (also FWL)
Raptor II
Bloodhound (also FWL)
Raijin II
Tessen (also ComStar)
Eidolon
Shootist (also ComStar and Clan caches)
Perseus (also FWL)
Grand Crusader II
Titan II

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 19 December 2019, 19:13:48 »
The Omega, Thunder Fox, and Gallant were also originally developed as WoB mechs but were since taken by other factions.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #33 on: 19 December 2019, 19:27:45 »
The gallant has wob availability for the jihad. The thunder fox does not. Seems like it wasn’t fielded until the RoTS in any appreciable numbers

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 21 December 2019, 08:12:13 »
I think of the Grim Reaper as a de facto Wobbie 'Mech, maybe because Avitue used one in Isle of the Blessed. Comstar started the production run, but the Wobbies took it over when they took Terra.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 21 December 2019, 08:43:58 »
I always found it strange that the WoB variants used standard c3.

Though they also got pushed out to mercs in large numbers it seems.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #36 on: 31 December 2019, 18:19:32 »
I always found it strange that the WoB variants used standard c3.

Though they also got pushed out to mercs in large numbers it seems.

I thought the C3 'Mechs produced for the WoB were used as a contract bonus for mercs hired by the Word or for the Protectorate Militia forces. Basically anyone who used base 4 organization instead of base 6.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 31 December 2019, 20:12:37 »
Its never really spelled out. It makes sense, but the Grim Reaper still stands out as just about the only standard c3 design that they designed from scratch. Pretty much everything else with standard c3 for the WoB is captured or on the general list (I think 7 out of 24 c3 Master choices are Schiltrons).

So yeah. The c3 Grim Reapers are on the merc list, but they're still pretty unique in that they're WoB from the ground up with standard c3

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #38 on: 31 December 2019, 20:41:46 »
The grim reaper is a Comstar design from 3052 manufactured by blankeburg on terra and continued by WoB

Which may explain the standard c3

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #39 on: 31 December 2019, 21:03:30 »
Or it could have been intended for mercs that the Wobbies are considering trying to recruit into the organization as a way to introduce them to Word mechs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #40 on: 31 December 2019, 21:14:35 »
that checks out. the standard c3 variants appeared in 3066

i had the -PR29 with C3. it does not.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #41 on: 02 January 2020, 09:05:10 »
Its never really spelled out. It makes sense, but the Grim Reaper still stands out as just about the only standard c3 design that they designed from scratch. Pretty much everything else with standard c3 for the WoB is captured or on the general list (I think 7 out of 24 c3 Master choices are Schiltrons).

So yeah. The c3 Grim Reapers are on the merc list, but they're still pretty unique in that they're WoB from the ground up with standard c3

Which to me suggests that the WoB/ComStar were using C3 upgrades as a contract sweetener for mercs. By using existing designs, a Merc could continue to use the 'Mech without falling victim to the company store tactic often used by the Houses. It's a "standard" 'Mech that uses standard parts, not the ComStar approved brand. Does that make sense?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 02 January 2020, 10:36:12 »
Sure, but there's no evidence for it one way or another in the fluff. The only evidence we have of that is that it shows up with the merc tag on the MUL (unless I'm missing something somewhere, which is possible).

But again, that makes the Grim Reaper odd and unique still. Its not like they created a Master variant, or spotter variants. They made 2 Grim Reaper variants with slaves, and that's it.

Heck, they didn't even make an upgraded version that would integrate with mainline WoB forces that utilize c3i (not that there's anything wrong with running WoB forces without c3i).

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #43 on: 03 January 2020, 07:07:48 »
Sure, but there's no evidence for it one way or another in the fluff. The only evidence we have of that is that it shows up with the merc tag on the MUL (unless I'm missing something somewhere, which is possible).

But again, that makes the Grim Reaper odd and unique still. Its not like they created a Master variant, or spotter variants. They made 2 Grim Reaper variants with slaves, and that's it.

Heck, they didn't even make an upgraded version that would integrate with mainline WoB forces that utilize c3i (not that there's anything wrong with running WoB forces without c3i).

Yeah. I've got no explanation either. Maybe the Protectorate Militia units?
Be the Loremaster: