Author Topic: What would be the typical building in hexes?  (Read 2893 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
What would be the typical building in hexes?
« on: 27 March 2018, 22:31:07 »
Trying to figure out for building terrain or MM maps what some of the 'average' type of buildings we interact with each day . . .

Going off the square footage of a Walmart Supercenter for instance I got a L2 building that was 4x7 but filling just 27 of the 28 hexes (garden center for that last hex?).  I figure it would also be a light building with a CF of . . . 20?  25?

The average resturant would fit on a single hex- maybe two depending.  Single level and a light building with perhaps a better CF than WalMart.

A regular 3 bedroom house would fit in a single hex, depending on lot size you may get the 'yard' giving it another half hex.

Empire State Building is 381m base to roof, but I do not know the 'correct' answer for how tall each level is by the rules- going off mech heights though you are looking at something that is 30+ levels tall for the roof.  The spire, etc would add more levels to the 'official' height.  It would be 57 hexes wide and 129 hexes long.  I am not sure that is right, but its what I came up with for numbers.

Big Ben (tower) is a bit over 96m tall, which is supposed to be roughly 16 stories.  I think it would fill a single hex- which makes my foamboard punch-out Big Ben a bit off scale as it fills more than a single 1.75 hex (non-BT std).

Any other buildings folks have thought about putting on TT?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What would be the typical building in hexes?
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2018, 22:45:54 »
Each level is 6 meters high and 30 meters across.
Think it says the height somewhere, possibly older rulebooks, but if not, it can be determined with logic (one level tall vehicles can't see over level 1 hex, 'Mechs are roughly 12 meters high and are blocked by level 2 hexes, superheavy 'Mechs can see over 2 level hexes but can't see over 3 level hexes, along with other stuff.)

The Empire State Building should be about 64 levels tall, not including the antenna which adds another 10 levels. The base is 5x2 hexes (about 130mx60m, round 130m up to 5 hexes, unfortunately this is not suitable for modeling upper floors, 5x3 base would allow for upper floors to be modeled roughly, if necessary).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2018, 22:50:31 »
Ah, I was skipping a step on the ESB, I could not find meters and was converting . . . and then forgot to divide by 30m for each hex.  Like I said, I knew it sounded off.  My inclination was to go with each level being 6 meters b/c that was the average between 9m and 15m mechs but I was leaving that out.

It does change some perspectives, especially if you start properly modeling urban areas trying to figure out how many map sheets even small towns properly are . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2018, 22:59:16 »
Manhattan Island alone would be 720 hexes long and 124 hexes wide, roughly. 21.6 km x 3.7 km. That is 42x8 map sheets, roughly. Provided i didn't mess up any conversions.

The fun part here is that the Long Tom artillery cannot fire from one end to another. BattleTech artillery sucks  :D

42x8 maps of urban hell, mmm.

EDIT A map sheet is nominally 17 hexes across, or 510 meters. Useful thing for eyeballing distances.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2018, 23:01:03 by Empyrus »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2018, 07:15:01 »
Each level is 6 meters high and 30 meters across.

FWIW, most stories in commercial American buildings are ten feet (just barely over 3 meters) high, so each BT level is 2 stories tall.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2018, 08:55:50 »

As the defender, SWEET!  I'll sprinkle a company or two combined arms with orders to just annoy the snot out of an attacker.  Let the other fellow run themselves ragged, searching every broom closet, while my people are cooling their heels and drinking Starbucks.

As the attacker... Do we really need to secure this island?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2018, 10:33:54 »
As the attacker... Do we really need to secure this island?

from space with naval weapons.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2018, 11:50:49 »
from space with naval weapons.

To paraphrase a quote I can't find right now...

You can nuke it to glass.
Bomb it into the stone age
Light it on fire
But until you have someone with boots on the ground planting a flag, you don't own it.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2018, 12:17:58 »
I’ll shoot the flag from orbit as a supersonic javelin. That it will unfurl while ablaze as if from the fist of an angry god only enhances my claim
« Last Edit: 28 March 2018, 15:03:12 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Boomer8

• Corporal
  • Caballeros Forever!
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2018, 14:21:01 »
Ah yes, bringing the Battletech reality to the Thor Shot....   :o
Victor W. Milan (1954-2018) Taken before he finished.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2018, 07:14:37 »
It does change some perspectives, especially if you start properly modeling urban areas trying to figure out how many map sheets even small towns properly are . . .
And somewhere down that path lays the ugly truth that when you consider how few apartments you can put in there under BT rules, apparently just steerage quarters are already 100 square foot plus. Each.

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2018, 07:42:05 »
They're all those little japanese coffin-pod hotels.  ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2018, 08:00:43 »
And somewhere down that path lays the ugly truth that when you consider how few apartments you can put in there under BT rules, apparently just steerage quarters are already 100 square foot plus. Each.

Well measurements inside a dropship should be for volume (or cubage) rather than squares.  Its a known problem which is why the jokes about dropships floating on water like beachballs exist.
Colt Ward

kato

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2018, 11:23:05 »
They're all those little japanese coffin-pod hotels.  ;)
Nah, that's when you put infantry bays in there. And yes, that works out quite well if you assume double-story per level, double bunks of two square meters each and narrow corridors inbetween...

Its a known problem which is why the jokes about dropships floating on water like beachballs exist.
30% the density of water.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2018, 14:19:52 »

Come on, New York's not that bad...

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2018, 14:25:37 »
Come on, New York's not that bad...
I've no idea. Never visited the US.

But the way i hear it, urban combat is hell. Consider a battle in a modern megalopolis... So, urban hell, for military.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2018, 18:05:40 »
I think, if given the chance, the modern first world urban fight would be worse than Stalingrad . . . buildings are taller, some places have a LOT more underground terrain- consider subways/tubes, public 'Undergrounds' and how deep some office buildings have basements.  A wider spread of materials used in construction.
Colt Ward

Register