Author Topic: (Answered) Infantry Fast Movement and the Minimum Movement Rule  (Read 1680 times)

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
Ok, I have another question about the infantry fast movement rules, pg 27 of TacOps. This one involves how these rules interact with the minimum movement rule in TW on pg. 49. Let me take an example to illustrate the issue. Lets say I have a foot rifle platoon (1MP) that wants to move up one level to an adjacent hex. That is a 3MP cost for the elevation change, but according to the minimum movement rule, my foot rifle platoon would still be able to make that move and would also be able to fire (I think) in the firing phase.

However, if I am using the fast movement rules, my foot rifle platoon now can expend up to 2MP by running and so would burn 2MP to make that same minimum move and as a result be unable to fire.

I am fairly certain that my interpretation of this is correct per the way the rules are written, but I am concerned that there may be a rules oversight here. Is this the way the rule is intended to work?

Another possible interpretation is that infantry that use the minimum movement rule are not allowed to fire anyway because they are considered to have used running movement (pg. 49, TW), but there is no explicit statement about this in TW, nor is there any reference to rules for infantry that run in the infantry section on movement (pg. 214, TW).
« Last Edit: 15 March 2013, 19:21:00 by Xotl »
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Infantry Fast Movement and the Minimum Movement Rule
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2013, 19:20:44 »
p. 27 TO:
Any infantry unit can forgo weapon and physical attacks in a
turn to receive a bonus of 1 Ground MP during the Movement
Phase of that turn.

So, using Fast Movement is a decision the player makes.

p.49, TW:
A unit can always move into the hex directly in
front of it, regardless of the terrain cost, provided such movement
is the only MP expenditure the unit makes in that turn
(i.e. the unit cannot make any facing changes in the same turn
it uses the Minimum Movement rule). The controlling player
can only make this kind of move if the unit has at least 1 MP to
spend (meaning it is mobile)

So, in a game that has Fast Movement in play, the infantry platoon in your example can use Minimum Movement without Fast Movement as well, so they climb the hill and can still fire in the same turn.  You don't *have* to use Fast Movement every turn.  And the Minimum movement rule only requires that you have at least 1 MP left over, and that it's the only MP expenditure that turn.

Feel free to post any follow-ups here.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register