Author Topic: In Browser PV calculator  (Read 2783 times)

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
In Browser PV calculator
« on: 14 January 2019, 21:46:08 »
I went through (with a bit of database help from MalooMF9, and some bug squishing by Xochi) and created a PV calculator that is, as far as we can find, the most accurate released PV calc to date.  And as a bonus, it works in browser through google sheets! (Yay if you have a mac or are on android).

V1.1 - http://bit.ly/2RJd7Zq
Features:  Works with ALL ground units (don't forget to set your movement move!)
Coming Soon: 
  • Skill Calculator
  • Aerospace
  • NAVAL!!!
  • Total Warfare/Classic to Alpha Strike

Please respond with problems or errors you find.  You'll have to save a copy of it to your google drive.  Also, It will not work if you try and export it to XLSX, because it makes use of regex.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2019, 23:41:45 by DarkJaguar »

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: In Browser PV calculator
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2019, 23:20:34 »
What's the prospect that you could add a BT to AS converter also? Otherwise it looks good!
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2019, 23:40:58 »
What's the prospect that you could add a BT to AS converter also? Otherwise it looks good!

That's for sure coming soon (added to upcoming features list)!  I want to get the PV calcs done first though, as that's by far the more complex math compared to converting from BT to AS.

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2019, 10:17:15 »
FYI, I just checked a couple units so far and found a problem with this one.

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Card/3114?skill=4

Your spreadsheet comes to 39 PV.

Thunder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2019, 11:52:44 »
BHJ2 and BHJ3 are broken at 2 points.

on the H_PV_calc...  tab.  The output Vlookup needs to search for "BAR"  (Need the quotation marks.)

On the L_Special_Abilities tab, BHJII and BHJIII need to be renamed BHJ2 and BHJ3 respectivly.

Armor factor for VTOL's and WIGE's is 1.5  You're using 1.6

Defense Factor should be using the abs of G35 not F35.  (Thus a slow LG unit would have .9 as its defense factor.)

Jump Capable:  Is being applied to infantry that can't jump.

Units that actually receive a +1 movement modifier for being jump capable.  This +1 counts as part of the movement modifier which is important to LMAS and MAS calculations.  As is my 2j movement BA with LMAS is receiving an additional 1 point to its defense factor calculations.

Something seems to be wrong with the brawler calculations.  And I can't figure out what.  The equation looks good to me.  but its not working.

Thunder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2019, 12:02:03 »
@Descronan

I got 41 when I plugged in that unit.

Can get 39 if you leave off the special abilities and say its a wheeled or hover unit.  Could that be it?

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2019, 13:13:42 »

I got 41, so I'm not sure what's happening here?

• on the H_PV_calc...  tab.  The output Vlookup needs to search for "BAR"  (Need the quotation marks.) - Fixed in v1.2
  • On the L_Special_Abilities tab, BHJII and BHJIII need to be renamed BHJ2 and BHJ3 respectivly.Fixed in v1.2 ( :-[)
  • Armor factor for VTOL's and WIGE's is 1.5  You're using 1.6 - Fixed in v1.2
  • Defense Factor should be using the abs of G35 not F35.  (Thus a slow LG unit would have .9 as its defense factor.) - researching for v1.2
  • Jump Capable:  Is being applied to infantry that can't jump. - researching for v1.2
  • Units that actually receive a +1 movement modifier for being jump capable.  This +1 counts as part of the movement modifier which is important to LMAS and MAS calculations.  As is my 2j movement BA with LMAS is receiving an additional 1 point to its defense factor calculations. - researching for v1.2
  • Something seems to be wrong with the brawler calculations.  And I can't figure out what.  The equation looks good to me.  but its not working. - researching for v1.2

Good catches![/list]

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2019, 15:34:43 »

My bad. Looks like I miscounted armor. Putting 10 instead of 9 fixed this. Sorry for the wild goose chase!

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2019, 16:12:54 »
Ok, this one I checked twice to make sure I wasn't cross-eyed again!  :D

MUL PV = 55, your spreadsheet shows 54.

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Card/4256?skill=4

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2019, 16:48:19 »
Ok, this one I checked twice to make sure I wasn't cross-eyed again!  :D

MUL PV = 55, your spreadsheet shows 54.

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Card/4256?skill=4
The IF0* wasn't acting properly, fixed this in the Dev v1.2 so it will report correctly when that version is released.  Good catch!  Thanks.

Thunder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2019, 04:09:01 »
Solved the brawler problem.
Cell J12, J13 and J14.   The AND statement should start with J11=TRUE
Somehow J12 was asking if J10 was true.

As for researching...
Researching to see if the rules are correct, or researching on how to get the spreadsheet to work right?

Industrial mechs receive the Offensive size modifier.  Rules refer to 'mechs.  The apostrophe is important.  (Sheet 2, cell C10)
« Last Edit: 17 January 2019, 06:11:11 by Thunder »

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2019, 11:20:27 »
Solved the brawler problem.
Cell J12, J13 and J14.   The AND statement should start with J11=TRUE
Somehow J12 was asking if J10 was true.

I'll go ahead and implement this in V1.2!  Thanks!

As for researching...
Researching to see if the rules are correct, or researching on how to get the spreadsheet to work right?

Industrial mechs receive the Offensive size modifier.  Rules refer to 'mechs.  The apostrophe is important.  (Sheet 2, cell C10)

A bit of both.  If an equation is wrong, I need to look into it and go back over the rules to see why it's messed up, and also run tests to make sure it doesn't break anything else! :)

Thunder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2019, 13:41:28 »
Most fixes only require localized changes in the sheet to get a small section to spit out the correct number or condition.

Large unit defense factor coming out to .9 was an example in the errata.  V1.1 was attempting to use the units base TMM for that portion of the calculation. When its the total defense factor modifiers that needs to be taken into account.

Non jump capable infantry getting the jump bonus, needed an extra AND statement to see if the unit is both infantry and jumps.  (plug in non jumping infantry from the MUL to test.)

Jump capable units and MAS interaction is based on the location of the +1 for jumping modifier as a movement modifier in the Defense factor modifiers table (Ground units)  An example of this can be found on the Purifier. Which is not being calculated correctly with V1.1

Industrial mechs getting offensive size.  Rules state 'mechs get offensive size points.  Correction was an OR statement checking to see if either a battlemech or an industrialmech was selected as the unit type.

Longer term problem, I think there is a hole in the defense factor rules.  For the edge case of a jumping unit without weapons, that has a jumping movement split from its walking movement. For example 20/4j  or 4/20j or 12/10j.  I think I'll need more sleep, time to think, and probably an errata question to fix it.  Fairly sure I went with the spirit of the rules in my own spreadsheet rather then the RAW.

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2019, 17:38:00 »
Most fixes only require localized changes in the sheet to get a small section to spit out the correct number or condition.

Large unit defense factor coming out to .9 was an example in the errata.  V1.1 was attempting to use the units base TMM for that portion of the calculation. When its the total defense factor modifiers that needs to be taken into account.

Non jump capable infantry getting the jump bonus, needed an extra AND statement to see if the unit is both infantry and jumps.  (plug in non jumping infantry from the MUL to test.)

Jump capable units and MAS interaction is based on the location of the +1 for jumping modifier as a movement modifier in the Defense factor modifiers table (Ground units)  An example of this can be found on the Purifier. Which is not being calculated correctly with V1.1

Industrial mechs getting offensive size.  Rules state 'mechs get offensive size points.  Correction was an OR statement checking to see if either a battlemech or an industrialmech was selected as the unit type.

Longer term problem, I think there is a hole in the defense factor rules.  For the edge case of a jumping unit without weapons, that has a jumping movement split from its walking movement. For example 20/4j  or 4/20j or 12/10j.  I think I'll need more sleep, time to think, and probably an errata question to fix it.  Fairly sure I went with the spirit of the rules in my own spreadsheet rather then the RAW.

I'm waiting to hear back on my own rules question before I push v1.2 out, but Yeah, it's not so much that I don't believe you, it's that I want to learn why I messed it up in the first place, to make my equations better in the future!