Author Topic: What's your favorite 100 ton Mech?  (Read 21577 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: What's your favorite 100 ton Mech?
« Reply #120 on: 21 November 2011, 02:05:32 »
Aside from the fact that it's about as fast as a stunned snail, it really does fit with the Clans.  It's all about offense.  What mech can really threaten it?  Face it, it's the perfect area denial mech.  Anything that packs the firepower to destroy it has to get in close enough for it's weapons to work.  With the Gauszilla, it automatically has a range advantage on anything *not* packing Arrow IVs.  Even if the guass misses on half it's shots, in 40 seconds it's put out 150 points of damage.  Not many mechs are going to survive that much damage.  Oh, and if one of them gets a head hit, it's over.

In a way, it's a Hunchback taken to extremes.

Quite a few can take it, actually.  Unless you've got a really good gunner in it, hitting a target at long range is going to be hard- much harder than the return fire numbers.  For the cost of a Gausszilla with a 3/4 pilot, you could get a Cougar B with a 1/4 pilot.  All the Cougar has to do is make sure it never lets the Gausszilla get less than 16 hexes from it and build up a +3 movement modifier every round- the Gausszilla is looking at needing 10+ to hit if it doesn't move while the Cougar is going to need 7+ to hit most rounds.  With target numbers like that, sorry, the Gasszilla isn't going to do well.  And that's against a sub-par mech one third its size.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: 21 November 2011, 02:30:39 »
The Gausszilla is a novelty, nothing more.

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #122 on: 21 November 2011, 15:45:26 »
My favorite 100 mech is a dead one.  O:-)
Never really got the wall of death thing, so my favorite 100 mech is the one that the Lance of Stingers just took down.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #123 on: 23 November 2011, 13:26:34 »
Quite a few can take it, actually.  Unless you've got a really good gunner in it, hitting a target at long range is going to be hard- much harder than the return fire numbers.  For the cost of a Gausszilla with a 3/4 pilot, you could get a Cougar B with a 1/4 pilot.  All the Cougar has to do is make sure it never lets the Gausszilla get less than 16 hexes from it and build up a +3 movement modifier every round- the Gausszilla is looking at needing 10+ to hit if it doesn't move while the Cougar is going to need 7+ to hit most rounds.  With target numbers like that, sorry, the Gasszilla isn't going to do well.  And that's against a sub-par mech one third its size.

Or a wraith with a decent gunner.  Just keep jumping into woods to stop the gauzzilla firing at you until you can jump right into it;s rear and pulse the thing!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #124 on: 23 November 2011, 17:00:26 »
Unseen Mad II