Author Topic: Team Banzai - REALLY!?  (Read 32386 times)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
Team Banzai - REALLY!?
« on: 03 August 2011, 17:34:17 »
I read Michael Stackpole's Warrior Trilogy which includes brief appearances of Team Banzai, lead by a "Dr. Banzai".

So did Michael Stackpole shamelessly steal the name from the 1984 Peter Weller film, or is ther an in-universe explanation as to how they go the name? Maybe they found a copy of this quirky cult classic amid a cache of Lostech and loved it that much?
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Team Banzai - REALLY!?
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2011, 17:43:31 »
So did Michael Stackpole shamelessly steal the name from the 1984 Peter Weller film

Pretty much, yeah.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2011, 17:54:27 »
So, which was first?   That novel that Stackpole wrote?  or that 1st ed mercenaries handbook that has their logo in it? 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2011, 17:57:14 »
Dude
team Bamzai was mentioned in the 1st ed book I believe,
definately by the time of the  Mechwarrior RPG release
Dave
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2011, 18:11:28 »
Dude
team Bamzai was mentioned in the 1st ed book I believe,
definately by the time of the  Mechwarrior RPG release
Dave

Ok, I stand corrected given that the Mercenaries Handbook was published in 1987, a year before Warrior: En Garde.

But still, Buckaroo Banzai came out in 1984...

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2011, 18:25:26 »
Team Banzai may have been mentioned in an earlier sourcebook, but it was Stackpole who really turned it into a blatant rip-off of the movie, complete with character names and personalities and a recreation of a famous scene.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2011, 18:25:41 »
I'm shocked this is the 1st you've seen of it.

The original FASA crew was big on pop culture references.

PS.  Pretty sure at least one of the original 3025 Notable Pilots was from Banzai,   Orion IIRC,  named "Lurch"
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2011, 18:40:11 »
Ok, so that answers my original question.

I suppose I'm fine with retconing the fiction to suggest that Team Banzai simply found a copy of the movie and modeled themselves after it. Not the most elegant retcon, but accepting it to be a full on rip-off is just lame.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2011, 19:24:43 »
I am surprised some batch of Kuritans  hasnt
started Yoyodyne and renamed everyone John
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2011, 11:42:45 »
I am surprised some batch of Kuritans  hasnt
started Yoyodyne and renamed everyone John

Who would be John Big Boote? (it's Big Boo-TAY!)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2011, 12:41:58 »
Omi of course

granted its been classified until now that Victors code name is Sir Mix a Lot
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2011, 15:20:10 »
I suppose I'm fine with retconing the fiction to suggest that Team Banzai simply found a copy of the movie and modeled themselves after it. Not the most elegant retcon, but accepting it to be a full on rip-off is just lame.

Isn't this more of a crossover than a rip-off?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2011, 18:44:01 »
Isn't this more of a crossover than a rip-off?

A cross-over means that they are the same characters as were portrayed in the film. Ergo it would imply that Dr. Banzai and the Hong Kong cavaliers somehow travelled to the future from the year 1984, or were frozen in time.

It would also imply that somewhere out there are Red and Black Lectroids.

That said, if Jeff Goldblum's character was a 'mechwarrior, what would he pilot?

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2011, 18:46:49 »

That said, if Jeff Goldblum's character was a 'mechwarrior, what would he pilot?

A firefly!   :D

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2011, 15:38:34 »
I'm shocked this is the 1st you've seen of it.

The original FASA crew was big on pop culture references.

PS.  Pretty sure at least one of the original 3025 Notable Pilots was from Banzai,   Orion IIRC,  named "Lurch"

Yvonne Morticia and her Orion, yes. :) The bit of trivia about Dr. Banzai being the designer of the Hatchetman also got its start in that book, I think -- at least that's the earliest source mentioning (rumors of) it that I'm aware of. So Mike Stackpole just expanded on what was already there.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #15 on: 05 August 2011, 16:27:25 »
Yvonne Morticia and her Orion, yes. :) The bit of trivia about Dr. Banzai being the designer of the Hatchetman also got its start in that book, I think -- at least that's the earliest source mentioning (rumors of) it that I'm aware of. So Mike Stackpole just expanded on what was already there.

And as usual, it ended up being a bad idea.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #16 on: 05 August 2011, 18:38:53 »
I'm just glad to hear that I'm not alone in hating pop culture references. :)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 05 August 2011, 19:59:03 »
I don't hate them.  I even attribute the Team Banzai as being, at least in part, the crew from the movie.  They did discover another dimension after all. 

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 05 August 2011, 22:23:36 »
I'm just glad to hear that I'm not alone in hating pop culture references. :)

Well, I thought, for example, the BSG reference in Field Report: LA about the Invincible was something that still worked on its own- "this thing's such a hunk of junk you might as well replace one of the fighter hangars with a gift shop."  So ha ha, funny.  I don't even particularly mind the regimental COs in the 25th Arcturan being characters from Die Hard because it doesn't call too much attention to itself.

The Team Banzai stuff, particularly in the Warrior Trilogy, takes it too far. I'd be equally unhappy with something about the 25th Arcturan where they tear into some building in battle armor and act like it's a commando raid and they're taking prisoners when really they're just stealing shit out the vault and then, at the end Colonel Gruber falls off a building into a fountain, only to be shot dead by the dad from that Urkle show.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #19 on: 05 August 2011, 23:58:42 »
The one that really set my teeth on edge was the bit based around mixing up characters' and actors' names from B5 in Operation KLONDIKE. Much as I like that book, the entire page or so on the naval battle above Babylon was skimmed, not read.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #20 on: 06 August 2011, 00:55:03 »
Wasn't TRO:3025 released before Warrior Trilogy? Don't blame Stackpole for character choices he probably had no say over really. IF the editors and such did not want them there, the Banzais would NEVER have shown up. On another note, Wolfhound, Axman and Hatchetman are all designs Dr. Banzai and Team Banzai worked on. Supposedly he pioneered the whole, "Whole Head Ejection system" thingy.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 06 August 2011, 01:00:05 »
personally i don't mind especially when it subtle they can be pretty funny if you get it, but i agreed just straight ripoff just goes to far.   

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 06 August 2011, 01:22:50 »
The Team Banzai stuff, particularly in the Warrior Trilogy, takes it too far. I'd be equally unhappy with something about the 25th Arcturan where they tear into some building in battle armor and act like it's a commando raid and they're taking prisoners when really they're just stealing shit out the vault and then, at the end Colonel Gruber falls off a building into a fountain, only to be shot dead by the dad from that Urkle show.

Now see, there's a cartoon idea you can get behind. ;)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 08 August 2011, 15:08:04 »
Wasn't TRO:3025 released before Warrior Trilogy? Don't blame Stackpole for character choices he probably had no say over really. IF the editors and such did not want them there, the Banzais would NEVER have shown up....

Yeah, hence the "I stand corrected..." on comment 4.  ;)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 08 August 2011, 15:12:28 »
personally i don't mind especially when it subtle they can be pretty funny if you get it, but i agreed just straight ripoff just goes to far.

Exactly. It would be different if it were simply a pop culture reference.

I have to admit, The Fighting Urukhai as a "pop culture" reference tickles me. However it will be a sad day if Stackpole or one of the other writers literally puts Saruman's Orcs in Battlemechs- this isn't Warhammer 40k!

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 08 August 2011, 15:43:39 »
Wasn't TRO:3025 released before Warrior Trilogy? Don't blame Stackpole for character choices he probably had no say over really. IF the editors and such did not want them there, the Banzais would NEVER have shown up. On another note, Wolfhound, Axman and Hatchetman are all designs Dr. Banzai and Team Banzai worked on. Supposedly he pioneered the whole, "Whole Head Ejection system" thingy.

There being a researcher named Banzai in TRO:3025 was something I would give a pass on. I didn't think it was particularly funny but I didn't mind it.

It was Stackpole who decided to just straight up write in an entire scene from the movie into one of his novels for no real reason, though, and that was where I felt it crossed the line from "in-joke" to "outright stupid."

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 08 August 2011, 15:46:19 »
Don't blame Stackpole too much. Have you seen the Team Banzai Hatchetman from Camospecs? It looked like they pulled the paint job straight off of the van and then put it on the Hatchetman.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2011, 01:23:27 »
Perhaps this is pretentious, having preferred the verbal arts, but a miniature paint job on a website shouldn't be held to the same standard as scenes from a professionally written novel.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #28 on: 09 August 2011, 03:10:39 »
I liked the cartoon reference in the lead story of "Wars of Reaving"

“The Solaris feeds we watched when we were little.
Or that idiotic cartoon about the Jade Falcons.” She was
chuckling out loud now. “Can you imagine if our Khans
talked like that? ‘You will pay for your treachery, Adam
Steiner,’” she screeched.

But its an in-universe pop culture comment.

Of course on page 108 we have the Clan Snow Raven ship William Adams...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 09 August 2011, 03:14:06 »
You misunderstand me. The book, camospecs, which came out the same time as the first book of the Warrior series, had this hatchetman in it. In addition, the Davion Sourcebook hit the same year. There's a lot of people to blame for Team Banzai, Alex. Not just Michael Stackpole.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2011, 03:23:55 »
You misunderstand me. The book, camospecs, which came out the same time as the first book of the Warrior series, had this hatchetman in it. In addition, the Davion Sourcebook hit the same year. There's a lot of people to blame for Team Banzai, Alex. Not just Michael Stackpole.

1- Who the damn is Alex?

2- So I crap on all of them too. Stackpole, however, didn't even manage to be funny.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2011, 03:33:45 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 09 August 2011, 08:46:43 »
meh. I had my say, I'm not taking part in another Stackpole-bashing. I enjoyed the novels back then, I still do now. Campy references & scenes and all. It's a game about big honking robots beating on other big honking robots. It is by defination campy. That's why i enjoy it so much. Ty for my time on the soapbox.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 09 August 2011, 18:33:34 »
meh. I had my say, I'm not taking part in another Stackpole-bashing. I enjoyed the novels back then, I still do now. Campy references & scenes and all. It's a game about big honking robots beating on other big honking robots. It is by defination campy. That's why i enjoy it so much. Ty for my time on the soapbox.

I personally don't mean to "bash" Stackpole. Although I think his dialogue is horrendous, I think he does well at overall plot construction and should generally be thanked for his contribution in establishing the bedrock for the Battletech fictional universe. Battletech would be a quaint little board game from the 80's that everyone would've forgotten if it weren't for the fiction.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #33 on: 17 August 2011, 19:04:35 »
Just remember, in the same Trilogy Stackpole had characters ripping the latest Immortal Warrior movie, and the scenes he described were from Rambo III!
I have spoken.

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 18 August 2011, 01:55:47 »
Just remember, in the same Trilogy Stackpole had characters ripping the latest Immortal Warrior movie, and the scenes he described were from Rambo III!

See, that I was kind of okay with, because it was a parody of the Rambo movies as viewed through an in-universe lens.  It not only mocks Rambo III in particular, but the repetitive nature of action movies in general by saying "In 1000 years they'll still make the same stupid movie."  That's how you're SUPPOSED to do it, not just drop a bunch of characters from another thing into your thing and yell "SEE HOW FUNNY I AM?"
« Last Edit: 18 August 2011, 04:01:32 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 18 August 2011, 14:54:11 »
See, that I was kind of okay with, because it was a parody of the Rambo movies as viewed through an in-universe lens.  It not only mocks Rambo III in particular, but the repetitive nature of action movies in general by saying "In 1000 years they'll still make the same stupid movie."  That's how you're SUPPOSED to do it, not just drop a bunch of characters from another thing into your thing and yell "SEE HOW FUNNY I AM?"

My goodness, your saying rambo 3 would become a classic like romeo and juliet, Othella.. that for a 1000 year it will spurn so many paradoies it would be consider a work of art

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #36 on: 18 August 2011, 14:55:51 »
It's not?

My goodness, your saying rambo 3 would become a classic like romeo and juliet, Othella.. that for a 1000 year it will spurn so many paradoies it would be consider a work of art
Maker of big things.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #37 on: 18 August 2011, 15:17:25 »
I had always thought they were decendents of the guys from the movie. Jeff goldblooms character pilots a gunslinger...hey tex, where's yer spurs?
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #38 on: 18 August 2011, 15:18:25 »
"In 1000 years they'll still make the same stupid movie." 

And it fits with Stackpole, who is the greatest author ever. He's sold the same book about a thousand times.

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 18 August 2011, 16:53:46 »

I'm saying that the genre of stupid action movies will endure for 1000 years, and that after that time the places and weapons might change but it will still be the same movie.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 19 August 2011, 16:01:39 »

I agree. I suppose in many ways Stackpole was hemmed in to using the Banzai nomenclature since previous media had already used it. At least Stackpole had an opportunity to make his Rambo III spoof subtle.

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #41 on: 21 August 2011, 03:23:51 »
I read BOK (and WoTb and everything else now that I think about it) faaaar before I was able to read The Warrior Trilogy, and after reading them both and comparing them I think Warrior has a lot of serious insurmountable CHEESE broken up with a few great moments, the way the characters talk to themselves out loud for no reason, and the CORNY ass dialogue really is jarring to me, like when Melissa explains that she is going to see Hanse her beloved, ****** cringe worthy!

In my opinion it's clearly some of Stackpole's earlier work and his first work in the setting except for some Battletechnology stuff, BOK was leaps and bounds better, despite still being cheesy. (the only stuff that is really so cheesy it's not even fun to read are early Kai chapters, the rest gets tolerable to good)

Anyone else cringe while reading The Warrior Trilogy? I liked it for the glimpses of Comstar and the Wedding drama between Wolf and Takashi and the infiltration of Comstar by Akira Brahe and some of the Capellan Inner Circle stuff with Max and Justin, but the rest is really corny to me.

Like corny to the point that when people ask  me what I'm reading I explain Battletech, then say I'm reading the cheesy soap opera version on some of the events, I mean the original covers for Warrior are self explanatory in that regard, they don't really scream sci fi.  :-\ (one of the few times the reprint covers are better in my opinion...)
« Last Edit: 21 August 2011, 03:31:18 by StoneGiant »
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #42 on: 21 August 2011, 04:39:00 »
*bought a Hong Kong Cavaliers pin at the CGL booth at GenCon*
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 21 August 2011, 13:01:03 »
*bought a Hong Kong Cavaliers pin at the CGL booth at GenCon*

Did you really? I would love to see it lol

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 21 August 2011, 19:55:05 »
Did you really? I would love to see it lol

I will say: I snatched it up because I recognized the reference. They had a very limited supply of them. I think they only had like
10 or so.

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 22 August 2011, 00:21:39 »
 Thats awesome. I love it when people have a sense of humor.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #46 on: 22 August 2011, 05:02:49 »
Anyone else cringe while reading The Warrior Trilogy? I liked it for the glimpses of Comstar and the Wedding drama between Wolf and Takashi and the infiltration of Comstar by Akira Brahe and some of the Capellan Inner Circle stuff with Max and Justin, but the rest is really corny to me.

I have only read the first two books, but the Kell Hounds parts had some really annoying stuff. Morgan 'Jesus' Kell Our Saviour, the token dwarf, Panthers dieing in droves, Kell Hounds just happening to be in the right place for a rescue, .... I liked the Justin parts better.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 22 August 2011, 16:26:21 »
I have only read the first two books, but the Kell Hounds parts had some really annoying stuff. Morgan 'Jesus' Kell Our Saviour,

Please spare us the drama....

the token dwarf,

Truely, unconditionally, completely, utterly CRINGEWORTHY.

Panthers dieing in droves,

Battletech version of Imperial Stormtroopers? Insert Wilhelm Scream.

I agree, the Justin bits were better, even though it portrayed the Capellans in a ridiculously comic book villianous light.

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #48 on: 23 August 2011, 03:59:12 »
I really disliked the one dimensional characters in the restaurant Justin used to eat at, they there they are kicking ass and BAM you never hear from them again. Plus most of their names were ridiculous, the one eyed specifically had a name that no one would inflict upon their offspring on purpose. 

Give me some meaningful character interaction, don't just fill the blank spaces with longer and longer names for the ancillary characters.  :-\
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 23 August 2011, 13:34:17 »
You mean Walter DesMesnil(sp)? He gets a big part in Not the Way Smart Money Bets. Granted, it is a Kell Hound Prequel.... I agree with you though. The rest of the Kittery Training Cadre staff needs more screen time.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #50 on: 23 August 2011, 13:58:55 »
Plus most of their names were ridiculous, the one eyed specifically had a name that no one would inflict upon their offspring on purpose. 

You mean Walter DesMesnil(sp)?

Who was, of course, named after a real-life individual. He—and many, if not most, of the Kittery Training folks—was named for a historical Knight Templar.

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #51 on: 24 August 2011, 04:15:30 »
Huh didn't know that!

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 24 August 2011, 08:31:17 »
Huh didn't know that!

And now you know!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 24 August 2011, 08:48:38 »
 and knowing is half the battle ?

Information is amunition?

wackrabbit

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • Who wants some, Doc?
« Reply #54 on: 24 August 2011, 09:08:26 »
Perhaps this is pretentious, having preferred the verbal arts, but a miniature paint job on a website shouldn't be held to the same standard as scenes from a professionally written novel.

Not the website, but the original camospecs book. And I like Ed Muybridge!
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #55 on: 26 August 2011, 06:35:20 »
  Pop culture references are not that big of deal. The regiment in question has been renamed.  The New Avalon Cavaliers still carry on the legacy. Blaming Stackpole for something that existed before he wrote the novels in question just seems a bit over the top to me. This is a a game universe and some people like to give a nod to RL cultural icons, cult classics et. al. Have you looked at some of the art work in the old house books? Oprah makes an unintended appearance or at least the resemblance is really unnerving. You get some good and bad when you give the nod so to speak. Just roll woth it and remember it is your game so ignore what doesn't work for you.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
« Reply #56 on: 26 August 2011, 07:13:11 »
@StuartYee:  Actually, when I was a little boy of about 12 years old, before I had enough money to buy the boxed set and all of the Tech Readouts for second edition, I tried to design 'Mechs for my own universe, which featured these guys who were called the "valarians" (sort of like the Eldar in 40K) and the "xorcs" (who were like Orks in 40K).  I even tried drawing my own Tech Readout on graph paper... :-[

Then I grew up [a little] and started buying the official BattleTech stuff.
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 26 August 2011, 10:31:05 »
@StuartYee:  Actually, when I was a little boy of about 12 years old, before I had enough money to buy the boxed set and all of the Tech Readouts for second edition, I tried to design 'Mechs for my own universe, which featured these guys who were called the "valarians" (sort of like the Eldar in 40K) and the "xorcs" (who were like Orks in 40K).  I even tried drawing my own Tech Readout on graph paper... :-[

Then I grew up [a little] and started buying the official BattleTech stuff.

That's actually pretty awesome, but hope you didn't grow up too much!  ;)

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 27 August 2011, 22:15:22 »
  Pop culture references are not that big of deal. The regiment in question has been renamed.  The New Avalon Cavaliers still carry on the legacy. Blaming Stackpole for something that existed before he wrote the novels in question just seems a bit over the top to me. This is a a game universe and some people like to give a nod to RL cultural icons, cult classics et. al. Have you looked at some of the art work in the old house books? Oprah makes an unintended appearance or at least the resemblance is really unnerving. You get some good and bad when you give the nod so to speak. Just roll woth it and remember it is your game so ignore what doesn't work for you.
Ahh well, speaking of artwork, how about some of the more recent work, to me and my group we stood there naming actors and celebrities the pics seemed to be related to. One of them even resembled Dennis Rodman.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 29 August 2011, 00:01:20 »
if nothing else at anime cetral this year i dropped the money for a team bonzi patch that i had sewed on my jean jacket along with a bunch of battletech and anime patches...that reminds me i need to go get pics of it to post.....sigh i keep forgetting things....

theBigMac

• Private
« Reply #60 on: 29 August 2011, 01:15:29 »
Liked the pop culture references, though I never read all the novels, most of my experiences have been the fluff in Mechwarrior and Tech Readout 3025.
"Rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads.  If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched.  There are no flags in the MAC."-Archie McCarron

"And there never will be." -Marcus Barton

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 29 August 2011, 02:04:55 »

It's not about the unit name itself, it's about how uncreatively he did his nod.  His Rambo jab was actually pretty okay, because he was saying something ABOUT Rambo. He wasn't just saying "Rambo is a thing that exists!"  His Buckaroo Banzai reference was about as clever as a serious take on The Chris Farley Show skits from SNL.

theBigMac

• Private
« Reply #62 on: 29 August 2011, 02:06:38 »
Oh, almost forgot, what about the Butch and Sundance reference in the first Liao sourcebook?  I thought it was funny.
"Rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads.  If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched.  There are no flags in the MAC."-Archie McCarron

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #63 on: 29 August 2011, 04:00:27 »
I always enjoyed how McCarron's Armored Cavalry was known as THE BIG MAC myself.  :D

theBigMac

• Private
« Reply #64 on: 29 August 2011, 11:13:36 »
Yeah the Whopper just wouldn't have been the same. ;)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 29 August 2011, 12:15:25 »
That's what Hanse called his battlepimp  ;)

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #66 on: 01 September 2011, 17:08:10 »
The Team Banzai unit predated the novel Riposte by  three years at least.  They were in the first Mechwarrior RPG in '86 as well as the original 3025 TRO that year (including B. Banzai, and the jumpship "The Nth Dimension".)   As I recall, Stackpole was told to kill them off, then that was pulled back slightly by the third Warrior book. 

Obviously my opinion on the unit is different than yours, lol. 

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 01 September 2011, 19:57:28 »
Maybe it was when I read it -- middle school, and Buckaroo Banzai was just available on VHS -- yes, I'm old.  But it struck me as great fun, and it still does today.  BB was a movie that no one in my area had seen, except for me and my close friends. And reading about them in TRO 3025, the Mechwarrior handbook and eventually after that Stackpole's novels, put a smile on my face, like I was in on the joke. 

To this day, I enjoy finding the nuggets of in jokes in Battletech products.  Like "Thom Kazanski" being the commander of the One-Eyed Jacks Aerospace component.  That one still puts a grin on my face.  I haven't located a "Pete Mitchell" in any of the aerospace groups yet, though.

It's all the more fun since it's at least publicly frowned upon by TPTB.  Makes it feel like the inside jokes are even better.  And even if they don't stand the test of time -- BB is no longer a great secret -- the nostalgia it brings is something I dearly love.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #68 on: 07 September 2011, 20:09:07 »
Stuart Yee, sorry for the long delay! I had to go rerent the film. A group of celebrity troubleshooters who act like cowboys and are crosstrained as scientists and test-pilots? Call signs, military technology, interdimensional physics, sci-fi callouts, doppelganger/long-lost family plus katanas and a kimono? Quality of Stackpole's execution aside, I cannot think of a more perfect way to say "this is what BattleTech is!" ;D

A cross-over means that they are the same characters as were portrayed in the film. Ergo it would imply that Dr. Banzai and the Hong Kong cavaliers somehow travelled to the future from the year 1984, or were frozen in time.

Someone, I think Victor S-D (early in the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy), does mention that "UFOs" were sighted over New Avalon in the 3020s.  ^-^

New guy, runs around a bunch but doesn't shoot much... put him in a Clint, with a cowboy hat painted across the chest. (Or, if Team Banzai are all in heavies, maybe bump that up to a Quickdraw.)
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 08 September 2011, 11:07:24 »
Stuart Yee, sorry for the long delay! I had to go rerent the film.

You mean you don't OWN it?  ???

....plus katanas and a kimono? Quality of Stackpole's execution aside, I cannot think of a more perfect way to say "this is what BattleTech is!" ;D

Essentially participating in the Japanese lovefest of the 80's.

Someone, I think Victor S-D (early in the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy), does mention that "UFOs" were sighted over New Avalon in the 3020s.  ^-^

:o

Any Red or Black Lectroids?

Actually, that might be a quaint pop culture reference to have a Merc unit named either the "Red Lectroids" or the "Black Lectroids". Hmmm....  8)

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 08 September 2011, 12:40:13 »

Well, in the write up for the New Avalon Cavaliers lists a former member of the Team was AFFS Marshal Sidney Zweibel, which was Jeff Goldblum's character.  Also the CO of the Cavs was John Parker, with Pinky Carruthers as his XO.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #71 on: 10 September 2011, 15:14:39 »
The Lectroid's TOE would be real easy. John's lance of John's company in John's battalion...

Gave it to a friend - the movie is too good not to share.   8)

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 10 September 2011, 19:56:40 »

Alternatively, you don't have Netflix Instant (cause it's on that)?

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 12 September 2011, 10:52:04 »
The Lectroid's TOE would be real easy. John's lance of John's company in John's battalion...

Gave it to a friend - the movie is too good not to share.   8)

John Smallberries would pilot a Stinger

What would John Big Boote pilot?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 12 September 2011, 11:38:23 »
Thunderstallion...ever seen the bakside of one? Its got an ass like a clydesdale

Hotwire

• Sergeant
  • ARC-2R/WHM-6L FrankenMech "The Ogre"
« Reply #75 on: 12 September 2011, 22:21:25 »
Have to agree with those that like the Team Banzai and other '80s pop culture refs. I started playing BattleTech in '86 when it was Mad Max in a big stompy robot held together with spit, wire and a prayer. It was, and still is fun to run around the 3rd Succession War with '80s cult-classic icons and techno-punk/heavy metal music.  [rockon]
3025 Forever!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 12 September 2011, 23:35:53 »
Have to agree with those that like the Team Banzai and other '80s pop culture refs. I started playing BattleTech in '86 when it was Mad Max in a big stompy robot held together with spit, wire and a prayer. It was, and still is fun to run around the 3rd Succession War with '80s cult-classic icons and techno-punk/heavy metal music.  [rockon]

Hell Yea !  [rockon]

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 12 September 2011, 23:54:47 »

Don't forget the 80's hair which, coicidentally, made it easier to pilot a 'mech, as well as the imagery of such
things as a dashboard hula dancer on the dash of your 'mech, and little touches like that that seem to have
fallen by the wayside in the more modern universe...except for still eccentric pilots....

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 13 September 2011, 00:05:19 »
I don't care if it's nixt or forboden, as long as i have my dash board Odin.

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #79 on: 13 September 2011, 02:34:10 »
Yeah who would've thought shaving the sides of your head into a mullet and wearing fingerless leather gloves would make such a resurgence in the future?  :D

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 13 September 2011, 02:54:05 »
Yeah who would've thought shaving the sides of your head into a mullet and wearing fingerless leather gloves would make such a resurgence in the future?  :D

What? The gloves are because, in the heat of a 'mech, the control sticks get hot, while the shaved temples
allow better connection with the neurohelmet! It all makes perfect sense!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 13 September 2011, 08:37:22 »

Wait... you mean thats not a popular style now?  :o

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 13 September 2011, 09:49:38 »

Wait... you mean thats not a popular style now?  :o

;D

With the possible exception of your local Walmart, not so much....

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #83 on: 14 September 2011, 05:31:49 »
My pops actually affected that style, he would have been cooler than the other side of the pillow, if it wasn't 1995. He was always ten years behind the times when it came to what was "cool".  ;D

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #84 on: 14 September 2011, 23:20:46 »
What? The gloves are because, in the heat of a 'mech, the control sticks get hot, while the shaved temples
allow better connection with the neurohelmet! It all makes perfect sense!

There are people I work with that fit the description to a T. And there not the type of people I'd trust behind the controls of a mech!  ;)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 15 September 2011, 12:16:24 »
We used to joke that BattleTech was War Machines of Tomorrow, Driven By Queensrÿche. 

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 15 September 2011, 12:31:23 »
No kidding . My penetrater pilot has Jet city Woman play when the mech starts up  [rockon]

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 15 September 2011, 13:45:09 »
"And Marshal Davion, here is the rest of your Command Company!"  [rockon]

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #88 on: 16 September 2011, 15:26:34 »
"And Marshal Davion, here is the rest of your Command Company!"  [rockon]

Demi-company. Jeeze.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 16 September 2011, 16:28:20 »
The rest are out back smoking cloves.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #90 on: 17 September 2011, 03:48:40 »

Kai, talking to Dr. Lear behind enemy lines. they're heading to a fedcom spy outpost hoping to find a working transmitter. kai, trying to hide the fact it's a secret outpost (that he only knows due to his position), talks about the "UAP" sightings on new avalon. (unexplained aerial phenomenon). says that the AFFC was testing some star league Hammerhead fighters based off recovered plans in the (IIRC) 3030's, and because they were top secret the sightings were subject to a disinformation campaign. he then goes on to mention how one of the fighters crashed in the "roswell district", and the clean up teams missed some ferro-lamellor armor, which the UAP people immediately claimed was impossible for humans to have made, and that the AFFC was hiding alien bodies in a hanger on one of the new avalon military bases.

it was all a quite blatent riff on the roswell conspiracy stuff.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #91 on: 23 September 2011, 15:55:00 »
Okay, that sounds about right, although "ferro-lamellor" hadn't entered BT's lexicon yet.

it was all a quite blatent riff on the roswell conspiracy stuff.

It can be more than one thing. :)

Alternatively, you don't have Netflix Instant (cause it's on that)?

Nope. Between regular TV and my friend's expanding DVD collection, I haven't needed to sign up yet. (Watching Dr Who with neophytes is kind of tricky since there's so many spoilers in its box art.)

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: 23 September 2011, 21:46:05 »
Has anyone pointed out that Team Banzai was a big part of the universe? I came across my copy of 4th Succession War Atlas, pt 2 and the whoel thing is supposed to be written from his hand.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 24 September 2011, 19:40:57 »
Has anyone pointed out that Team Banzai was a big part of the universe? I came across my copy of 4th Succession War Atlas, pt 2 and the whoel thing is supposed to be written from his hand.

Heck, there is a reference to Dr. B. Banzai in the recent-ish Handbook: Davion

MOrab46019

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: 28 September 2011, 19:46:11 »
I always enjoyed how McCarron's Armored Cavalry was known as THE BIG MAC myself.  :D

If I recall the Big MAC attack was for the sandwich. Now at lest in Battletech it could mean the Armored Cav is coming.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: 28 September 2011, 23:24:40 »
If I recall the Big MAC attack was for the sandwich. Now at lest in Battletech it could mean the Armored Cav is coming.
I think everyone should just chill out and accept that Battletech and it's associated media have a ton of various references and items that connect back to certain cultural icons we know.BB, Big mac, there's a bunch of warships and admirals named for characters in a movie. it's silly to get upset or riled up over it.

Terra-ble

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #96 on: 29 September 2011, 03:45:58 »
No time to read through the whole thread, but there is a pop-culture three-for here. Morticia Addams from "the Addams Family" was played by Carolyn Jones.  The Addams butler was named Lurch. Yvonne DeCarlo played Lilly Munster on"the Munsters."

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 29 September 2011, 09:58:05 »
No time to read through the whole thread, but there is a pop-culture three-for here. Morticia Addams from "the Addams Family" was played by Carolyn Jones.  The Addams butler was named Lurch. Yvonne DeCarlo played Lilly Munster on"the Munsters."

And she also pilots the Jumpship "The Nth Dimension."   Make it a four-fer.

Terra-ble

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #98 on: 29 September 2011, 11:00:12 »
I forgot about that.

va_wanderer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #99 on: 04 October 2011, 12:51:20 »
Going back to the beginning- yes, really.

Battletech took a bunch of characters that would never get more than a few comic books after their one movie...and did their best to immortalize them as part of the game.

Which I'm all for. I've always appreciated the nods to bits and pieces of culture- from a certain Zeon pilot in Zeta Battalion to the watermelon scene in Stackpole through a bazillion nods to all kinds of fantasy and sci-fi.

And if anyone was going to manage to pull off the first Kearny-Fuchida "time jump" by accident, it'd be one Buckaroo Banzai. The future needed him!

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
  • I draw stuff for a miniatures company
« Reply #100 on: 15 October 2011, 16:01:29 »
I think everyone should just chill out and accept that Battletech and it's associated media have a ton of various references and items that connect back to certain cultural icons we know.

Thank God Ace Darwin's WhipIts don't have ANY references to ANYTHING in real life, entertainment or otherwise.  /sarcasm   :P
1st Battalion, 91st Royal Battlemech Regiment, 26th Light Brigade Combat Team, 61st Infantry Division, XXVII Corps, Eleventh Army, SLDF

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #101 on: 15 October 2011, 22:28:10 »
Thank God Ace Darwin's WhipIts don't have ANY references to ANYTHING in real life, entertainment or otherwise.  /sarcasm   :P
hehehe...agreed and conceded.

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #102 on: 17 October 2011, 04:06:45 »
Since we're talking novels, how come there are two Kai's? I know the first one dies in the first few chapters and the second one has nothing to do with him, but it seems weird I'd encounter two characters with that name. I've NEVER met a real actual Kai in my life.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 17 October 2011, 12:13:11 »
Since we're talking novels, how come there are two Kai's? I know the first one dies in the first few chapters and the second one has nothing to do with him, but it seems weird I'd encounter two characters with that name. I've NEVER met a real actual Kai in my life.

Which novel? 

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #104 on: 02 November 2011, 20:31:02 »
Battletech took a bunch of characters that would never get more than a few comic books after their one movie...and did their best to immortalize them as part of the game.

Which I'm all for. I've always appreciated the nods to bits and pieces of culture.

Agreed.  Didn't bother me in the slightest.

I wonder if the invention of the K-F drive involved the phrase "Don't tug on that; there's no telling what it's attached to."

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #105 on: 10 November 2011, 01:42:23 »

And remember kids: Don't touch the watermelon.

I was reading the Warrior series one night and though "what the heck does that mean?" The next day I caught the movie and saw a watermelon in a vise-grip like device in Dr. Banzi's lab. I fell out laughing. My wife was like "there is something wrong with you."
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #106 on: 10 November 2011, 11:03:36 »
"Why is there a watermelon there?"

"I'll tell you later."

I love that scene!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #107 on: 10 November 2011, 13:53:44 »
Going back to the beginning- yes, really.

yep FASA and other companies snuck stuff in all the time, my other favorite was in the Star Trek RPG there was a class of ships in the fed  fleet that were named after cities, (Loknar Class Frigate)
 and like most completist freak I appreciated that they had a list all of the ships of that class, so I picked the Hobbiton :-)  we put round doors on the pub (10 Forward) and on the Captains quarters

of course the word Loknar itself was an homage to the movie Heavy Metal, it was the glowing ball :-)
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #108 on: 12 November 2011, 15:06:22 »
yep FASA and other companies snuck stuff in all the time, my other favorite was in the Star Trek RPG there was a class of ships in the fed  fleet that were named after cities, (Loknar Class Frigate)
 and like most completist freak I appreciated that they had a list all of the ships of that class, so I picked the Hobbiton :-)  we put round doors on the pub (10 Forward) and on the Captains quarters

of course the word Loknar itself was an homage to the movie Heavy Metal, it was the glowing ball :-)
oh my god. I NEVER Noticed that before. wow. I used to play with one in the old FASA RPG game. It was the class of ship assigned to my crew. U.S.S. Fall River. I read this post and looked over the entry in the old SRM: Federation....I NEVER NOTICED!

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #109 on: 21 November 2011, 14:57:04 »
So I think I'm going to relent and just accept the ubiquitous 80's pop-culture "inspired references"

Hell, I went along with my own. I recently ran a scenario involving a Company by the name of Weyland-Yutani looking for mercenaries to find a lost survey team exploring the deep Periphery world  designated as LV-426 aka "Acheron".

Of course the Company ends up screwing over the mercs, but instead of acid-for-blood xenomorphs, they just find a hell of a lot of Smoke Jaguars (which is very nearly the same thing).

I pre-generated a mercenary force named "Sulaco's Rangers" and gave the mechwarriors names Apone, Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez, etc.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #110 on: 23 November 2011, 09:34:45 »
"Inspired references" are just a tool, like anything else. Creativity & fun isn't about where the tool comes from -- it's how you use it.  O0  [rockon]

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 23 November 2011, 10:49:26 »
oh my god. I NEVER Noticed that before. wow. I used to play with one in the old FASA RPG game. It was the class of ship assigned to my crew. U.S.S. Fall River. I read this post and looked over the entry in the old SRM: Federation....I NEVER NOTICED!

yeah I am a bit of a detail freak :-)

there are also ships named after FASA staff and other random stuff, would need to go dig to remember more, and I am in mood to  move my ass right now :-)
resting up for retail hell tonite and friday
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

MOrab46019

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #112 on: 25 November 2011, 02:22:31 »
U.S.S. Fall River was a heavy cruiser. Before going into the scrap heap she was off shore on one of the atomic tests. Her Bow is in the City of Fall River MA at the Battleship Cove. 

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: 09 December 2011, 19:09:54 »
U.S.S. Fall River was a heavy cruiser. Before going into the scrap heap she was off shore on one of the atomic tests. Her Bow is in the City of Fall River MA at the Battleship Cove.
Yeah, I've seen her before, I live close by in Brockton. All of Battleship cove is a must see if you visit massachusetts.