Author Topic: Reunification War and numbers  (Read 4926 times)

avon1985

• Major
Reunification War and numbers
« on: 24 August 2011, 19:38:31 »
Ok got my copy of Reunification War in the mail today and immediately started devouring it.  Now i really am enjoying it but the number of regiments they talk about seems really low.  300 regiments, which I figure is only the mech regiments, would only be 50 mech divisions worth of troops.  Now I know Kerensky at the start of the 2nd Periphery war had over 125 mech divisions and three times that in infantry divisions plus independent regiment.  More that 1500 regiments all told in just the SLDF.  So is it just me or does the 300 seem really low for some reason?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: Reunification War and numbers
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2011, 19:48:43 »
The SLDF was practically a brand-new organization at the outset of the Reunification War, so no, it actually seems about right. By the time Kerensky was the Commanding General, the SLDF had been around for about another century and a half, and that's certainly plenty of time to build up.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2011, 19:48:55 »
this was when the Star League was new, in fact the book covers that in might of the league
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2011, 19:58:58 »
this was when the Star League was new, in fact the book covers that in might of the league

I read that part and I'm ok with that there were only that many regiments it just seems a low number for a realm coming out of the "age of war"  yet with 150 of relative peace the build up there army more than 500%.  Just seems a bit weird thats all.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2011, 20:01:05 »
Ok got my copy of Reunification War in the mail today and immediately started devouring it.  Now i really am enjoying it but the number of regiments they talk about seems really low.  300 regiments, which I figure is only the mech regiments, would only be 50 mech divisions worth of troops.  Now I know Kerensky at the start of the 2nd Periphery war had over 125 mech divisions and three times that in infantry divisions plus independent regiment.  More that 1500 regiments all told in just the SLDF.  So is it just me or does the 300 seem really low for some reason?

The Star League Source Book indicates that the SLDF went into the Reunification War with 270 regiments. It got MUCH bigger in later centuries.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2011, 02:39:43 »
The Star League Source Book indicates that the SLDF went into the Reunification War with 270 regiments. It got MUCH bigger in later centuries.

270 Regiments didn't  it got over 2000 Regiments before the end. The Warships went from 500 to over 2500 warships. 
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2011, 02:50:19 »
Just as a note.

In general we don't count infantry regiments (or armor regiments) when we sum of the strengths of various militaries. The exact number of conventional regiments have never been (nor will be) nailed down.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2011, 04:50:39 »
I read that part and I'm ok with that there were only that many regiments it just seems a low number for a realm coming out of the "age of war"  yet with 150 of relative peace the build up there army more than 500%.  Just seems a bit weird thats all.

Page 26 of the RW should clarify things.  The SLDF was deployed to the Periphery shortly after it was founded and was still in the early stages of organizing itself.  The HAF was to form the core of the SLDF.  Any HAF unit not absorbed was dismissed.  In addition, to ensure the superiority of the SLDF, all the Great Houses were forced to dismiss large numbers of troops.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2011, 12:05:02 »
Not to mention each House contributed numerous regiments to be broken up and distributed in the new SLDF formations.  House Davion gave up the remnants of the Terran March Brigade as their contribution
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2011, 12:32:29 »
There was also a huge buildup of military in the 2650's to the fall of the Star League, that probably increased the size really really quick.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2011, 13:11:08 »

Not really. That's 150 years of collected tax revenue, military spending and actually being able to enforce the Star League's will. The huge growth of the SLDF went hand in hand with the Star League's prosperity. Plus, the Reunification War was a mess, with the SLDF already growing towards the end, why throw the brakes? There's a reason why the early part of the 27th century saw massive growth...the wheels were already turning. Stopping it would have probably caused more harm than good.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #11 on: 29 August 2011, 08:55:36 »
Just as a note.

In general we don't count infantry regiments (or armor regiments) when we sum of the strengths of various militaries. The exact number of conventional regiments have never been (nor will be) nailed down.

Sad ya'll don't note that, there are plenty of heavy tanks with more firepower than most mechs, and a heavy tank regiment would pretty much always maul light mech battalion.... BV wise.  Many 3025 level heavy tanks (60-75 tons) are around 1000 BV... right up there with medium mechs.

There are a couple instances of these numbers being published which are, IMO, invaluable:
20 Year Update FRR:  15 Mech, 32 Tank, 97 Infantry (over half mechanized), and 62 militia regiments
Original Marik Book:  60 Mech Regiments, 700 non-mech regiments (about 400 infantry, 80 armor, and 100-150 special battalions)
Tikonov Free Republic:  3 mech regiments, 18 Armor Regiments, ~36 Infantry Regiments
SLDF book with all the divisions (2254 Mech Regiments (8% LAM), 2317 Conventional Regiments (24% artillery), 1673 Aerospace Wings (32% Transport, 32% Conventional), 2665 Infantry Regiments (13% Engineer)
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.