Author Topic: What new technology for 3150  (Read 78372 times)

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
Re: What new technology for 3150
« Reply #90 on: 03 August 2011, 19:43:32 »
IATMs and Nova CEWS please as regular clan systems.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #91 on: 03 August 2011, 19:47:56 »
Things I would like to see in 3150

Triple Heat Sinks
Improved Engine Shielding housing more heat sinks (Rating/20 instead of rating/25)
Ultra Gauss Rifles
Omni Engine and Omni Gyro mounts to make chassis more versatile

And yeah SUPER HEAVY MECHS!!!!!!
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 03 August 2011, 20:09:46 »
Uh...no.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #93 on: 03 August 2011, 20:14:43 »
Things I would like to see in 3150

Triple Heat Sinks
[...]
Ultra Gauss Rifles

Why would you need triple heat sinks if you had Ultra Gauss Rifles? #P

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 03 August 2011, 20:51:14 »
IATMs and Nova CEWS please as regular clan systems.

Spoilers - not everyone has access to that information yet!

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: 03 August 2011, 21:54:25 »

LOL

I have used that stuff before, was rather nasty and fun also. It is to current clan tech what they were to IS tech in 3052.

Also had the clan versions of a light gauss rifle and heavy gauss rifle, they were very fun.

Gauss Rifle/5
Gauss Rifle/10
Gauss Rifle/15 (This is what we have atm)
Gauss Rifle/20
« Last Edit: 03 August 2011, 22:57:01 by bblaney »
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Durandal

• Corporal
  • Notably Unstable
« Reply #96 on: 03 August 2011, 22:50:24 »
I'd love to see more experimental stuff go to advanced or TL as needed.  I'd also like to finally see more Clantech cross the line onto Inner Sphere designs.  It need not be on all of them, but a 3050-style TRO with a lot of transition designs with a mix of old and new tech would be a nice thing to see.  I figure after nearly 100 years the IS may finally crack the barrier to getting a steady supply of Clantech, especially considering how many clans are now close allies to Inner Sphere states at that point.  Between the Ghost Bear Dominion, Raven Alliance, Clan Wolf-in-Exile, Republic of the Sphere and the continued trade from Diamond Shark I figure the 50-60 years of relative peace between 3090 and 3150 will likely result in at least a few factories getting upgraded to make more advanced clan equipment (especially since without a whole lot of fighting going on at that time the IS will probably need to start manufacturing their own replacements for Clantech since they can't just rely on salvage).

It need not become the standard on all designs of course but seeing some basic Clantech on Inner Sphere designs would make a lot of sense at that point.  For the Inner Sphere to continue to not utilize Clantech in standard designs a century after contact would be a bit hard to swallow.  At the same time improvements and advances on their own unique tech (and possibly the Clans getting their own versions of Inner Sphere tech) would also be fun.  As a Lyran more gauss love will never be a bad thing (specialty ammo would be nice).
"If things around here aren't working, it's because I'm laughing so hard."

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
  • Unofficial, sure. But better than nothing, right?
« Reply #97 on: 05 August 2011, 15:04:12 »
One thing that should definitely be included is the Enhanced ER PPC. The briefing prepared for Chandrasekhar Kurita in Jihad Secrets: the Blake Documents seems to imply that the data extracted from the journal of Victoria Parrdeau includes design schematics for the Stag, Stag II and Pulverizer. Even if that isn't the case, it seems clear that anybody whom Chandy shared the briefing with will now know that the NER PPC is theoretically possible... and he was apparently going to distribute it as widely as possible. The NER PPC is a stepping stone on the route to the Clan ER PPC that can be built with Inner Sphere tech - what Successor State wouldn't want to recreate it?

RAC/10s and RAC/20s should be included.

So should the TSEMP and its Star League-era forerunner the Centurion.

Maybe Clan-tech Heavy and Light Ferro-Fibrous armor? With multipliers of 1.40 and 1.10 and crit requirements of 11 and 4 respectively?

Inner Sphere Ferro-Lamellor armor that takes up 20 crits?

An Improved Blue Shield that can operate without failure for longer?
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65976.0

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #98 on: 05 August 2011, 15:11:31 »
For the Streak-RAC-Pulse-Heavy-Plasma-ER-PPCs ?
« Last Edit: 05 August 2011, 15:13:27 by verybad »
Let Miley lick the hammers!

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #99 on: 06 August 2011, 02:59:13 »

You forgot that it also needs Armor Piercing-Flak-Precision special ammo that now works for energy too.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #100 on: 07 August 2011, 12:13:59 »

Meh, nothing that broken, but would allow more optimized energy based designs.

Think a Masakari that had no heat problems at all with 4 ER PPC's and could actually carry some ERML's.

They were just some things a GM I played with liked, I used a Daishi that carried 4 ER PPC's and some other weaponry, was a long time ago.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #101 on: 07 August 2011, 15:17:24 »

Think a Masakari that had no heat problems at all with 4 ER PPC's and could actually carry some ERML's.

They were just some things a GM I played with liked, I used a Daishi that carried 4 ER PPC's and some other weaponry, was a long time ago.

Ah, that would be called a Hellstar.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #102 on: 07 August 2011, 15:26:39 »

Teah, that sounds pretty good. How about medium pulse lasers that can shoot 10/20/30, do 18 damage and can finally use targeting computers to aim at specific areas (including the head)? Because it's so powerful, it would be 2.5 tons and do 5 heat. Those triple heatsinks should take care of any problems though.

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
  • Si vis pacem.. et caetera, ad nauseam
« Reply #103 on: 07 August 2011, 15:30:35 »
The last Society Cell launch a devastating HPG broadcast causing major feedback into Neurohelmets  :D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXULwgzezUg&feature=related

TTUPhoenix

• Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 07 August 2011, 16:51:01 »
I'd like to see some innovation in the field of energy weapons.  Something besides PPCs and lasers.  Not just a modification or alteration of existing weapons, an entirely new type of gun.

Clan Wolverine - that which does not kill me only makes me stronger.

Founder of the Save the Tetatae Fondation (STF).

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #105 on: 07 August 2011, 17:19:57 »
Like Plasma guns?

If your going ammo less, you are gonna have to use lasers, ppcs, or flamers. Personally I think the ammo-less flamer makes little sense and it should be retconned to death. That's me though.

TSEMP seems to be an energy weapon.

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #106 on: 07 August 2011, 17:31:54 »
I'd like to see Improved Ultra Autocannons that can unjam and CASE III that completely negates ammo explosions (but still leaves the ammo unusable).
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
« Reply #107 on: 07 August 2011, 18:27:38 »
A canon LAM design that carries Arrow IV.
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 07 August 2011, 19:40:32 »
I'd like to see Improved Ultra Autocannons that can unjam and CASE III that completely negates ammo explosions (but still leaves the ammo unusable).

For CASE III, were you also talking about it stopping the feedback? Otherwise, it wouldn't seem to have very little to differentiate it from CASE II.

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #109 on: 07 August 2011, 21:27:04 »
The idea of technology stagnating during peace time is foolish and smacks of willful ignorance of real world  geopolitics and the "no guns in my sword and sorcery world" mindset of fantasy fans even though the timeline has moved forward 200 -500 years.

Technological advances can come in iterative and innovative flavors:

Iterative
New ways to charge Jump drives which allows faster jump travel. All of them are financially less viable than waiting two weeks to charge up a drive and thus are only used by the megawealthy or those who have time sensitive situations that allows them to mentally overcome the financial burden of using them.

Biocybernetics.
Cybernetic augmentations are useful in many ways but for many cultural reasons people don't want to be toasters. Genetically created enhancements that can be attached like machine parts will become all the rage especially at this time period where it is affordable for what counts as upper middle class in the Innersphere.

Consolidation of Autocannons.
No more rotary, LBX, Hyper, supercalifragilisticespialidshis cannons.
Just one autocannon that does it all with some additional improvements. Takes multiple critical hits to be disabled unlike missles and energy and has increased inavailability and dropped in repair requirements.

Garage Factories and Neural Suits
Tanks were handwaved as being inferior to mechs for weak reasons. This won't be that much better but it will be improvement. Essentially some companies should find a way to make the manufacturing of mechs more accesible which leads to the rise of garage factories. Neural Suits are an advancement over the helmets that gives a pilot the ability to interact with a mech with an efficeincy far beyond what a tank team to do. Mechs can have a reaction time that allows them to gain better iniatiative against non-mechs accept for infantry and firing resolution rules that allows them to hit a non-mech accept for infantry without getting hit back in the attack phase unless certain conditions are met.

Innovative
Broad Blanket COmmunicator
A new form of transmission that is mildly slower and vastly less secure than HPGs but is far more accesible for the above average citizen to use. This leads to in upheaval in communications just like the priniting press toppeled the written work of relgious institutions which in turn was overthrown by radio and television which are now being usurped by the internet.

Crypto-currency
With the advent of the BBC interstellar commerce is radically altered with a currency that started to form in Terra before jumpships and has flourished in certain local markets of the Innersphere. This currency is based on providing goods and services based on a credit rating. Your rating can be lost andd gained as you buy and sell to other people respectively. The credit transactions are continually verified by bit mining machines to prevent the system from being manipulated. The downside is that none of this currency is backed by a government so it is only valuable to whoever buys into it. Considering the nature of the innersphere this wil create a lot of good scenarios for conflicts.

Mind-Links
This is exclusively a clan innovation where people use cybernetic enhancements to merge their thoughts so they can think as a single entity. Yes this is anathema to the clans as we generally know them but ever since the Protomech program started it was obvious this was going to be their best long term solution to the instability their proto-warriors faced. IMO this should eventually force a cultural revolution across every facet of their society because to compete with proto-warriors with mindlinks you are going to need links yourselves and the warrior caste influences how all the other castes acts.

Magentic defenses
Armor increases in toughness greatly while internal structure is more prone to critcal hits as a new standard in defense is developed in blunting currently known offensive weapons.

The Dyson SPhere Bubble
Not exclusive to the clans but the only ones willing to commit to such projects. One clan that originally two before a recent absorption was on the brink of economic destruction after their war. In a desperate gambit they pool their resources to create a half assed Dyson Bubble to power the engineering projects they were originally fighting each over for, one being a new recycling techniques that separates compnents with amazing accuracy into reusable materials, the other was a new type of minuature robot that could till almost any planet into farmable land.

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #110 on: 07 August 2011, 23:20:46 »
I don't see technology as having necessarilly stagnated as it seems to simply have hit the limit for what is possible in several areas.

We're used to a world where Moore's Law (Computer speeds doubling every 18 or so months) prevails. However even Intel's engineers say eventually we'll hit the limit. Current transistors require more and more cooling as the power is fed through smaller and smaller areas.

Material engineering (most of battletech's basis) isn't a limitless thing, eventuallyyou simply hit limits. You can't build stronger armor, or you can't forcemore energy through a laser within a certain amount of time. Most of battletech's systems have compromises in order to reach those limits as they are.

I think more of the technology in TRO-3150 should be buffer or debuffer technology (think targeting computers or stealth armor) rather than actual weapons systems.

There's no need for better heat control, in the game itself, unless it comes with serious compromises in order to maintain balance. For example, a triple heat sink that can only work for a certain amount of turns before it goes down to being a single heat sink. Or perhaps is explosive.

For Autocannons, it could be a simple reordering of them into more sensible lines.
Long Caliber, Medium Caliber, and Short caliber this affects the range and the tonnage of the weapons. (replacing Light and HV cannons with an easier to understand system for new players) LBX should be merged wtih the other specialty ammos available to ACs, and RAC and UAC should be merged into a multicannon system with various multiple fire being available for spending more tonnage.

So for instance a 4 barrel Long Caliber autoCannon 10 coudl fire up to 4 rounds in a turn, and would have the longest range available to the AC-10s. If firing singly it coudl fire specialty rounds. A single barrel Short caliber AC-10 coudl fire a single round only, and would have the shortest range available for an AC-10

Various equipment would boost the performance, for example a recoil stabilizer would give better cluster performance to guns firing multiple rounds.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 07 August 2011, 23:33:51 »
The Dyson SPhere Bubble
Not exclusive to the clans but the only ones willing to commit to such projects. One clan that originally two before a recent absorption was on the brink of economic destruction after their war. In a desperate gambit they pool their resources to create a half assed Dyson Bubble to power the engineering projects they were originally fighting each over for, one being a new recycling techniques that separates compnents with amazing accuracy into reusable materials, the other was a new type of minuature robot that could till almost any planet into farmable land.

Beyond the amount of mass required to build a "Dyson Shpere", or the amount of effort that goes into it, the real issue is what any Battletech group (or individual) would have a use for that amount of energy?
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #112 on: 08 August 2011, 00:36:24 »
The Clans always had this wierd issue that their worlds weren't rich with resources. Recycling materials is not efficient in general partly because of the energy consumption. Using the Dyson Bubbble to extract a huge amount of energy more efficiently than whatever the any faction could hope to do without it would be an extreme way of addressing clan resoruce issues. The farming idea is just something additional I pulled out of my butt.

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: 08 August 2011, 01:31:27 »
Yeah, and taking apart worlds to build that Dyson bubble wouldn't stretch the clans resources.

No faction in the btech universe has ever been anywhere near the level of technology or resources to build a Dyson Sphere. It would take far more than even the Star League at it's height's capability.

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #114 on: 08 August 2011, 06:30:11 »
Ofcourse it would take out all of their available resources. The gambit is about making a huge initial and crippling investment for something that would over time would pay for itself. Besides I'm not even suggesting a Dyson Sphere. There are other alternatives to wrapping man made objects around a star to gather energy that doesn't require making a fully enclosed sphere, hence the bubble.

The innersphere certainly had and still has  enough resources to make a sphere let alone a bubble. Knowledge is an issue but not a large hurdle depending on the time period. The time frame of building one in 3150 is the more absurd problem which is why the Bubble is "half assed." The project can be declared by the faction to be finished but anyone with a crticial analysis would say the construction projection is far from stable and can create long term maintainence problems that it shouldn't have.

Chris24601

• Corporal
« Reply #115 on: 08 August 2011, 08:41:24 »
Beyond the amount of mass required to build a "Dyson Shpere", or the amount of effort that goes into it, the real issue is what any Battletech group (or individual) would have a use for that amount of energy?
Build the mother of all jump drives and move their entire star system closer to Terra?  ::)

There's simply nothing else I can think of that would require anywhere close to that amount of energy.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #116 on: 08 August 2011, 10:02:02 »
Teah, that sounds pretty good. How about medium pulse lasers that can shoot 10/20/30, do 18 damage and can finally use targeting computers to aim at specific areas (including the head)? Because it's so powerful, it would be 2.5 tons and do 5 heat. Those triple heatsinks should take care of any problems though.

Hmmn, what I propose is a logical advance, what you propose is way beyond that. Yeah Triple Heat Sinks would be nasty, but not as nearly nasty as you think.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #117 on: 08 August 2011, 10:19:06 »
Double heat sinks were the single most game-changing technology in level 2.  One of the Clans' key edges is the ability to pack more of them in, especially with their even more deadly energy weapons.  What you're proposing is to make them even more powerful, especially with the ability to pack even more into the engines.  People are going to be very skeptical of that.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #118 on: 08 August 2011, 11:48:55 »
Going by recent trends, streak technology will become more common, and start to show up on alternate ammo.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #119 on: 08 August 2011, 11:50:26 »
Going by recent trends, streak technology will become more common, and start to show up on alternate ammo.

Streak Infernos: An all new reason to keep a copy of Jane's or the OED handy at the gaming table.