Author Topic: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)  (Read 99675 times)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Reply #360 on: 09 April 2022, 08:05:14 »
I guess I'm thinking of a more modest Warpath  ;D

He interjects "BAM!" and "POW!" into his everyday speech, dude! "Modest" just isn't in this guy's vocabulary! Warpath is LOUD and PROUD in every sense of those words!

What do think of the Legionnaire or Shockwave for Warpath?

I did consider them, and it looks like I didn't give them to any other chassis, so... Let's go with the Shockwave (anyone else disappointed it didn't look more like the Transformer of the same name, or is that just me?); the Legionnaire looks like an upgunned Industrial, and should probably be reserved for something with an industrial vehicle mode.

Does Rommel Howitzer still work for you as his vee mode?

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #361 on: 09 April 2022, 08:43:50 »
Trying to mod a Shockwave to represent the cannon will be a interesting try for sure.  I was just going off your comment about how there wasn't a mech chassis that looked appropriately beefy.  Or maybe I'm misread that about Warpath.  It might have just been my conception about Warpath being a tankette because of the figure's minicon status that stuck with me. 

Also, for Whirl, what do you think about the Hyena/Balac combo? 

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #362 on: 09 April 2022, 09:05:20 »
Trying to mod a Shockwave to represent the cannon will be a interesting try for sure.  I was just going off your comment about how there wasn't a mech chassis that looked appropriately beefy.  Or maybe I'm misread that about Warpath.  It might have just been my conception about Warpath being a tankette because of the figure's minicon status that stuck with me.

Yeah. That's kind of what I'd figured, but many later versions and toys were much bigger in scale (hell, in TF Animated, he was freaking HUGE! and his WfC game version was easily equal to Prime in terms of size). Also, tankettes were nigh extinct even in the 1980s, so if he planned to hide that way... According to the TF Wiki, his original toy represented an M551A1 Sheridan, which weighed... Hah! Only 15.5 tons! I'm still going with a heavy tank. I mean, it's Warpath!

Also, for Whirl, what do you think about the Hyena/Balac combo?

Now that you mention it... Hmmm, I have a Cuirass/Balac transformer for Springer, but it would hardly be the first time two different Mechs had the same alt mode. I'll just need to name a new model for Whirl. The Hyena/Balac is a good combo for him, yeah.

- Herb

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #363 on: 09 April 2022, 15:07:01 »
since he's been light tanks in most of his appearances, why not use a Vedette as the vehicle mode and go for a tonnage of 45-55 tons? basically split the difference as a BT medium tank/mech.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #364 on: 09 April 2022, 16:08:38 »
That was my original plan, but making him a larger tank works for me too.  Not like he has a ton of detail to begin with.

since he's been light tanks in most of his appearances, why not use a Vedette as the vehicle mode and go for a tonnage of 45-55 tons? basically split the difference as a BT medium tank/mech.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #365 on: 09 April 2022, 17:08:17 »
That was my original plan, but making him a larger tank works for me too.  Not like he has a ton of detail to begin with.

Hmm. Okay, how do we feel about a Quasimodo/Marsden II, or Rook/Goblin? (The latter pair has the advantage of having a round torso that translates to a rounded turret.) Both would fall into medium-weight categories.

The main reason I'd steer away from Commandos is just because there's 10 "Beetles" using that one. ;)

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #366 on: 09 April 2022, 17:45:09 »
Funny, I was eyeing the Rook for Cosmos actually.   ;D  the Quasimodo i considered, as well as the Rook.  I felt the Rook was a bit too rounded at first, but then I forgot I'd be adding the turret detailing anyways. 

I have attached the tank candidates, Scorpion, Vedette, Merkeva, Rommel Howitzer and the Von Luckner, mainly for the turret replacement option on the lighter chassis.  I had also considered the Hunter base and the Chevalier turret.  The Manticore and Vedette have a secondary hull that kind of takes away from the pure tank aesthetic to me.

I also thought about the Merkeva, but would have to replace the turret, or modify it.

Hmm. Okay, how do we feel about a Quasimodo/Marsden II, or Rook/Goblin? (The latter pair has the advantage of having a round torso that translates to a rounded turret.) Both would fall into medium-weight categories.

The main reason I'd steer away from Commandos is just because there's 10 "Beetles" using that one. ;)

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #367 on: 09 April 2022, 20:36:43 »
Funny, I was eyeing the Rook for Cosmos actually.   ;D  the Quasimodo i considered, as well as the Rook.  I felt the Rook was a bit too rounded at first, but then I forgot I'd be adding the turret detailing anyways.

I'm still liking my pick of the Daimyo, because to me it already looks like a UFO on legs...

I have attached the tank candidates, Scorpion, Vedette, Merkeva, Rommel Howitzer and the Von Luckner, mainly for the turret replacement option on the lighter chassis.  I had also considered the Hunter base and the Chevalier turret.  The Manticore and Vedette have a secondary hull that kind of takes away from the pure tank aesthetic to me.

I also thought about the Merkeva, but would have to replace the turret, or modify it.

Okay, so if we want to keep your necessary modding to a minimum (to avoid wasted parts, though I suspect that's hardly a problem to you), we eliminate the Manticore and Vedette. Looking over the others, I think the Merkava looks good--especially with a Rook for the Mech mode--but yeah, that missile launcher on top of the turret would need to go.

So, Rook/Merkava?

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #368 on: 09 April 2022, 22:53:25 »
Sorry, I'm getting the Marsden mixed up with the Merkava.  Both I think either would work fine for Warpath, with some modding of course.  So what's in the picture is the Marsden, but I'd have to get Merkava first to verify.

The mech form will be fun to work with with the Rook, and yeah, I'm keeping with your idea for the Daimyo for Cosmos. 

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #369 on: 10 April 2022, 03:07:25 »
Sweet! Did you have any ideas who you'll do next?

Book?

- Herb

It's a book on how to use XL.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #370 on: 10 April 2022, 03:20:39 »
Yeah. That's kind of what I'd figured, but many later versions and toys were much bigger in scale (hell, in TF Animated, he was freaking HUGE! and his WfC game version was easily equal to Prime in terms of size). Also, tankettes were nigh extinct even in the 1980s, so if he planned to hide that way... According to the TF Wiki, his original toy represented an M551A1 Sheridan, which weighed... Hah! Only 15.5 tons! I'm still going with a heavy tank. I mean, it's Warpath!

Now that you mention it... Hmmm, I have a Cuirass/Balac transformer for Springer, but it would hardly be the first time two different Mechs had the same alt mode. I'll just need to name a new model for Whirl. The Hyena/Balac is a good combo for him, yeah.

- Herb

Would the MGM-51 Shillelagh missile be considered Precision Ammo?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #371 on: 10 April 2022, 07:51:28 »
Sorry, I'm getting the Marsden mixed up with the Merkava.  Both I think either would work fine for Warpath, with some modding of course.  So what's in the picture is the Marsden, but I'd have to get Merkava first to verify.

Let's lock in Rook/Marsden then for Warpath (Warp Tanker, on Syberia). My list has a variant of his chassis that becomes an Enyo for the DemoCons--a "retool," as it were.

It's a book on how to use XL.

I was being a bit silly. Virtually all of my Excel skills are self-taught nowadays.

Would the MGM-51 Shillelagh missile be considered Precision Ammo?

*looks over his 20th/21st century tables* I gave the missile a +2 to-hit and an artillery range of 7.5km for some reason. The to-hit modifier was probably an error on my part, and should have been a -1 to reflect its guidance, which would have made it a "Medium Guided Rocket" in my tables. Of course, that weapon system didn't really last long and was rarely fired in anger, it seems. That's neither here nor there, though, since the Syberian Warp Tanker will be using a good ol' Autocannon of some kind.

- Herb

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #372 on: 10 April 2022, 13:20:10 »
How difficult would be for autobop or DemoCon to spot for said artillery?  I am misremembering, but were drones pain to use as spotters? 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #373 on: 10 April 2022, 14:29:41 »
How difficult would be for autobop or DemoCon to spot for said artillery?  I am misremembering, but were drones pain to use as spotters?

A quick perusal through TO and IO doesn't seem to say anything about spotting that I noticed. But since the AutoMechs of Syberia are basically "something different" so as to allow players to run them however they like, I'd say they can spot for artillery just as well as a human-controlled unit.

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #374 on: 10 April 2022, 16:41:59 »
I was being a bit silly. Virtually all of my Excel skills are self-taught nowadays.

*looks over his 20th/21st century tables* I gave the missile a +2 to-hit and an artillery range of 7.5km for some reason. The to-hit modifier was probably an error on my part, and should have been a -1 to reflect its guidance, which would have made it a "Medium Guided Rocket" in my tables. Of course, that weapon system didn't really last long and was rarely fired in anger, it seems. That's neither here nor there, though, since the Syberian Warp Tanker will be using a good ol' Autocannon of some kind.

- Herb

That's better than me. I had to buy a book and figure things out that way. Didn't cover everything either. Just enough for what I needed at the time.

There's tables for missiles and rockets?  :o  What kind of damage does a medium guided rocket do? I guess the TOW Missile would be slightly better than the Shillelagh since it is the Shillelagh's replacement?

That's cool but it would open the door to other ammo types. If a tank cannon can fire a missile, why not an autocannon? Precision Ammo is a modified Gyro Jet Round. That's kind of like a guided rocket, right?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #375 on: 10 April 2022, 17:09:42 »
There's tables for missiles and rockets?  :o  What kind of damage does a medium guided rocket do? I guess the TOW Missile would be slightly better than the Shillelagh since it is the Shillelagh's replacement?

It was the same. What made the TOW more attractive was it was less cumbersome than the idea behind the Shillelagh.

That's cool but it would open the door to other ammo types. If a tank cannon can fire a missile, why not an autocannon? Precision Ammo is a modified Gyro Jet Round. That's kind of like a guided rocket, right?

Not if the folks on Syberia never went down that path.

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #376 on: 10 April 2022, 21:32:25 »
It was the same. What made the TOW more attractive was it was less cumbersome than the idea behind the Shillelagh.

Not if the folks on Syberia never went down that path.

- Herb

That's cool. Hopefully it'd do more damage than AToW Companion's Wire-Guided Missile.

If trying to build Warpath close to the Sheridan it'd work.1 ton for standard ammo and 1 ton for Precision. 

Does that mean they don't have alternative ammo loads for autocannons or only some alternative ammos? 

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #377 on: 10 April 2022, 21:56:50 »
If trying to build Warpath close to the Sheridan it'd work.1 ton for standard ammo and 1 ton for Precision. 

Looking at how the Sheridan's cannon translates... He'd get an UAC/5 or an LB-10X.

Does that mean they don't have alternative ammo loads for autocannons or only some alternative ammos?

What cut-off date did we come up with for their best tech? 3060? Looks like we got everything but the Precision Ammo.

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #378 on: 11 April 2022, 05:40:31 »
Looking at how the Sheridan's cannon translates... He'd get an UAC/5 or an LB-10X.

What cut-off date did we come up with for their best tech? 3060? Looks like we got everything but the Precision Ammo.

- Herb

So if I've go the damage right, A cannon round from a  152mm would do 15 points of damage to BAR 6, 12 against BAR 7, 10 against BAR 8, 8 against BAR 9, and 6 against BAR 10. That is pretty close to an AC/5. I guess it'd work Shillelagh too if we think about it being like an ancient Thunderbolt-15. I think I'd like my SRM Infantry armed with TOW Missiles.  >:D

20 regular rounds, and 10 Precision Rounds would be close to matching the ammo load of the Sheridan. I suppose AP rounds could be used instead of Precision though.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #379 on: 11 April 2022, 07:49:55 »
So if I've go the damage right, A cannon round from a  152mm would do 15 points of damage to BAR 6, 12 against BAR 7, 10 against BAR 8, 8 against BAR 9, and 6 against BAR 10. That is pretty close to an AC/5. I guess it'd work Shillelagh too if we think about it being like an ancient Thunderbolt-15. I think I'd like my SRM Infantry armed with TOW Missiles.  >:D

You'll probably be disappointed to learn that my work set the Shillelagh's damage around 7 points, but it picked up an artillery range the standard rounds didn't have. This gave it a final damage drop to 3, which still isn't too shabby.

20 regular rounds, and 10 Precision Rounds would be close to matching the ammo load of the Sheridan. I suppose AP rounds could be used instead of Precision though.

There ya go.

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #380 on: 12 April 2022, 01:29:26 »
How does this work for Shockwave's alt mode?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #381 on: 12 April 2022, 08:19:55 »
Interesting. I had Shockwave going from a Cyclops to a Marksman M1 (because I figured the bulkier kibble on the Cyclops would make for a bulkier tank). What your approach here?

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #382 on: 12 April 2022, 08:37:29 »
Another Syberian TRO entry... (BTW: Nothing quite like discovering only years after the fact that you screwed up the math in a very performance-defeating way. The Seekers we published were slower than they actually should have been.)

Seeker (Aerofighter AutoMech)

Summary
Perhaps the single most iconic unit type in the DemoCon forces, and quite possibly the most populous single AutoMech model in all of the Syberian system, is the Seeker. Often seen operating in three-unit demi-squadrons, these flying soldiers are not the fastest things in the Syberian skies, but they are nimble enough on the ground or in the air to present a dire threat to any who encounter them. An elite, but particularly eccentric Seeker, designated Star Seeker holds a vaunted position as commander of the Conglomerate’s aerospace forces, but we have also identified over fifteen other named Seekers who clearly function as its lieutenants, who often take to the field with their own underlings.

Like all convertible ’Mechs, Seekers struggle to excel in any one arena of combat, but most of this model type demonstrate a decent mix of speed and mid-range firepower that helps to offset their comparatively thin armor. Most Seekers can surprise a foe with extended jumps and high-gee maneuvers, thanks to the improved-power thrusters they possess, though many have been modified (likely in the field) to trade in some of that mobility for an extra weapon or two. Taken together, this all makes them ideal ambushers, swarmers, and heavy recon units. Meanwhile, the model’s unusually high production rate seems to give the DemoCons’ leadership—including Star Seeker itself—little pause when choosing to deploy them as particularly effective cannon fodder.

Code: [Select]
Type: Seeker
Technology Base: Syberian (Experimental)
Tonnage: 50

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 5
Conversion Eqpt: Aero 7.5
Engine: 250 12.5
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 8
Safe Thrust: 8
Max Thrust: 12
Heat Sinks (Double): 10 [20] 0
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Fuel: 80 0
Structural Integrity: 16 0
Armor Factor: 112 7
Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 16 12
Center Torso (rear) 7
R/L Torso 12 10
R/L Torso (rear) 5
R/L Arms 8 12
R/L Rear Legs 12 15

Fixed Components Location Critical Tonnage
Avionics RT/LT/HD 3 0
Landing Gear RT/CT/LT 3 0
Improved Jump Jets RL/RT/LT/LL 8 4

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Strafer A
Medium Pulse Laser RA 1 2
ER Medium Laser RA 1 1
Fuel (80) RT 1 1
Double Heat Sink LT 3 1
Medium Pulse Laser LA 1 2
ER Medium Laser LA 1 1

Strafer B
2 ER Medium Lasers RA 2 2
Double Heat Sink RT 3 1
Fuel (80) RT 1 1
TAG LT 1 1
Double Heat Sink LT 3 1
2 ER Medium Lasers LA 2 2

Interceptor A
Light PPC RA 2 3
Primitive Rocket Launcher-15 RT 2 1
Primitive Rocket Launcher-15 LT 2 1
Light PPC LA 2 3

Interceptor B
ER Medium Laser RA 1 1
LRM 5 RT 1 2
ER Small Laser CT 1 0.5
Ammo (LRM) 24 LT 1 1
CASE LT 1 0.5
LRM 5 LT 1 2
ER Medium Laser LA 1 1

Ambusher A
SRM 4 RA 1 2
Guardian ECM RT 2 1.5
CASE LT 1 0.5
SRM 4 LA 2 2
Machine Gun LA 1 0.5
Ammo (MG) 100 LA 1 0.5
Ammo (Streak) 25 LA 1 1

Ambusher B
ER Medium Laser RA 1 1
LRM-10 RT 2 5
Ammo (LRM) 12 LT 1 1
ER Medium Laser LA 1 1

Notes: Features the following Design Quirks: Illegal (Syberian Robotics AI, BattleMech/Fighter Conversion), Ubiquitous (Syberia)

Notable Seekers:
Seeker Type Config. Function Skill Grade Skill Set ’Mech/Vehicle Form
Star Seeker Strafer (B) CommandMech Elt (0/0) Scout, Officer Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Sky Seeker Ambusher (A) SpecMech Vet (2/1) Special Forces Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Thunder Seeker Ambusher (B) ArtilleryMech Vet (3/2) Infantry Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Acid Seeker Interceptor (B) ArtilleryMech Vet (3/2) Infantry Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Ion Seeker Interceptor (A) SpecMech Vet (2/1) Special Forces Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Nova Seeker Strafer (A) ArtilleryMech Vet (3/2) Infantry Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Bit Seeker Strafer (A) Analyzer Vet (3/2) Analysis Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Heat Seeker Interceptor (B*) CraftsMech Vet (5/1) Engineer Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Cell Seeker Ambusher (B) ArtilleryMech Reg (5/4) Infantry Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Sun Seeker Strafer (B**) SpecMech Reg (4/3) Special Forces Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Death Seeker Ambusher (A) ArtilleryMech Vet (3/2) Infantry Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Ram Seeker Ambusher (A) ArtilleryMech Vet (3/2) Infantry Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Thrust Seeker Ambusher (B) ReconMech Vet (2/1) Scout Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Blast Seeker Ambusher (B) ReconMech Reg (3/2) Scout Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Black Seeker Strafer (B) NinjaMech Vet (1/0) Infantry-AntiMech Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Red Seeker Interceptor (A) GruntMech Reg (5/4) Minimal Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Sand Seeker Ambusher (A) ReconMech Reg (3/2) Scout Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster
Stream Seeker Ambusher (A) ReconMech Vet (2/1) Scout Phoenix Hawk/Mechbuster

*This AutoMech swaps its ER Small Laser for a Flamer
**This AutoMech swaps both extra double heat sinks for 2 more ER Medium Lasers

- Herb
« Last Edit: 12 April 2022, 09:30:13 by HABeas2 »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #383 on: 12 April 2022, 09:35:48 »
Ahh, I already had a Highlander done up as Shockwave, from before, and didn't realize you listed the alt as a Marksman M1.  That does look more imposing.  Hmm, reworking the Cyclops head would be interesting as well. 

Interesting. I had Shockwave going from a Cyclops to a Marksman M1 (because I figured the bulkier kibble on the Cyclops would make for a bulkier tank). What your approach here?

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #384 on: 12 April 2022, 10:37:26 »
Ahh, I already had a Highlander done up as Shockwave, from before, and didn't realize you listed the alt as a Marksman M1.  That does look more imposing.  Hmm, reworking the Cyclops head would be interesting as well.

Yeah, but now you went and showed me a SWEET Highlander Shockwave, which is just too hard to ignore. And a Highlander was my first pick for the Mech. What do you think? Did you want to try a Cyclops Shockwave, or stick with your Highlander? (I have been modifying my lists here with suggestions from the crowd, you know...)

- Herb

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #385 on: 12 April 2022, 10:37:50 »

Holy awesome!!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #386 on: 12 April 2022, 12:34:13 »
The Highlander was easiest for me to mod to Shockwave, because I felt the Cyclops had too much of a lean, that the G1 Shockwave didn't have.   Mainly, it boiled down to how I would have worked the head, and the Highlander won that one for me, since it was the path of least resistance for modding.

I'll pick up a M1 on my next purchasing round then, but I really like the look of the Rommel with the different turret. Maybe I'll find another use for it 😀

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #387 on: 12 April 2022, 12:36:21 »
I would have used the Highlander IIC head, if it wasn't smaller than the resculpt as well.  It has the proper hex shape, just not the size.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #388 on: 12 April 2022, 17:51:33 »
That sounds like a job for a 3D printer...  8)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #389 on: 12 April 2022, 20:57:26 »
Thats a road I'd rather not travel 🙂

That sounds like a job for a 3D printer...  8)