Author Topic: The Quest  (Read 165840 times)

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
Re: The Quest
« Reply #750 on: 14 January 2019, 02:14:55 »
So now the really big question - how many worlds does Victor and the FedCom give back to Candace?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #751 on: 14 January 2019, 03:03:23 »
I'm still waiting for the Andurien shoe to drop...  ^-^

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #752 on: 14 January 2019, 04:38:31 »
Wow!  At least he died fighting!   Looking forward to what Kali Liao will do!
What Kali Liao will do?
Oh come on! Kali Liao's playbook doesn't really have any pages past "Commit an atrocity."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #753 on: 14 January 2019, 12:31:23 »
What Kali Liao will do?
Oh come on! Kali Liao's playbook doesn't really have any pages past "Commit an atrocity."

But which one? And where?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #754 on: 14 January 2019, 14:40:08 »
But which one? And where?

Where would be the best place to make the biggest impact on the FedCom invasion is proably what she is thinking.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #755 on: 14 January 2019, 16:21:32 »
more likely she will just hit the big red button and scream kill them all
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #756 on: 14 January 2019, 18:53:19 »
 10 December 3056
            Sian

The last 5 days had seen sporadic fighting between the pro Sun Tzu and pro Candace camps. But finally, Kai thought they had a handle on the situation now. With the Strategio's all dead, it made things more difficult overall to coordinate troops movement's to avoid needless fighting. Kai already had news that his mother, Candace Allard Liao, was on her way to Sian with a 28 December arrival date.

Colonel Andre Elias, commander of the Red Lancers stood before Kai Allard Liao. He did not hold out much hope for survival. "Colonel, your men fought well in the defense of Sian. Now, I want to know where your loyalty falls?" Kai asked

"My loyalty is to the Chancellor. It always will be to the Chancellor." Colonel Elias said

"Chancellor Sun Tzu or to the new Chancellor Candace Liao?" Kai elaborated

"Sir, my loyalty is to whoever sits on the Celestial Throne." Colonel Elias responded

"We shall see Colonel, we shall see, for now take your men to their barracks and remain there. Sorting all this out might take some time." Kai said dismissing the Colonel

Kai knew he did not currently have the troops to fully garrison every world of the Confederation. So he made the hard call and would allow AFFC troops to continue to garrison the worlds they now occupied. He knew his mother was going to play hard ball with Victor, but he had cautioned her. None of this was possible without AFFC help, sacrifices would have to be made.

New Avalon

Archon Prince Victor Steiner Davion had the HPG message from Candace Liao on his desk. He hit play for the 3rd time.

Archon Prince Victor Davion,

It is time we discuss the worlds of the Capellan Confederation and their disposition. I am taking into account that AFFC troops took losses during this war and provided my St Ives Compact with security for many years. Our two nations have been allies and friends for many years now, I wish that to continue for many years to come. If ever the Federated Commonwealth needs us, we will be there beside you.

Now, I request that you return all worlds to their pre-hostilities border except the following, which I will cede to you permanently:

Homestead              Holloway             Xieng Khouang           Decatur           Pojos                Larsha
   Madras                    Menke                Victoria                     Bellatrix           Corodiz             Muridox
   Mitchel                    Jacson                Columbine                 Egress             Rollis                Zanzibar
   Quimberton             Vard

I NEED to have Capella and Necromo back. I will also renounce any further claim upon Chesterton, Tikonov and any world now a part of the Sarna March. For this, you will forever have a ally in my nation. Kai will follow in my footsteps. I look forward to hearing from you.

Chancellor Candace Allard Liao

Well, we won't come out empty handed, I half expected her to demand all of them back PLUS the Sarna March. Victor thought to himself. One thing is for sure, for the first time in a long time, the Federated Suns will not have to worry about the Capellan Confederation.

Demeter

Harry Mitchell had finally arrived in system to check on his "newest" production site. He already had word that MDF Wren and MDF Swallow were several weeks out along with the personnel from Mackolla. He was surprised to find one shipyard assembled and another at least 65% complete.

He nudged the pilot of his shuttle, "Take me down, I have a dinner date with the Planetary Ruler in a few days."

Cooperland

Kraznovoy Devonich was very pleased with himself. He had word that his band had overrun Great Gorge and made off with thousands of tons of ores and valuables, plus several dropships. The new Mechs "Kwan" supplied had worked out very nicely. "Kwan" had supplied is band with 4 Thug 11E, 4 Wraith and 4 Spartan. He had even hinted at some more work in the near future.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2019, 20:43:25 by 2ndAcr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #757 on: 14 January 2019, 19:14:44 »
Looks like Victor is about to make the right call...  :thumbsup:

Conversely, Devonich is drawing the exact WRONG conclusions...  >:D

By the way, I think you meant "cede" when you said "secede".

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #758 on: 14 January 2019, 19:35:21 »
what about those three warships?

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #759 on: 14 January 2019, 20:30:05 »
Im somewhat surprised that Victor is not letting her have all the world of the current CC, except one or two.   Prove his words that the Clans are the threat and this was not a landgrab. 

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #760 on: 14 January 2019, 20:30:09 »
The three CC warships that were captured could be returned to the CC once Chancelor Candace Liao is securely in power.   Just get the data and schematics for the warships and turn it over to the FC companies that produce warships and see if they can improve upon the design?

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #761 on: 14 January 2019, 20:44:18 »
 Negotiations will follow

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #762 on: 14 January 2019, 20:50:33 »
well the SIC are the only source of victors... (read it in a tro 3050 I think)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #763 on: 14 January 2019, 20:55:16 »
 They became the only source to the AFFC after 3039 when the Combine captured Quentin from the FS

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #764 on: 15 January 2019, 00:11:42 »
  24 December 3056
               Sian

Chancellor Candace Allard Liao had spent the last 4 days prowling the Palace she had grown up in. So much had changed yet so much was so familiar. She had discovered she had trouble sleeping in this Palace for some reason. Maybe I have trouble sleeping because I know how difficult the coming changes will be to the people of the Confederation. They were soon going to discover what freedom was like. The people of the St. Ives Compact had lived the last 29 years with more freedoms than any but the most trusted in the Confederation. Kai is going to have his hands full flushing the CCAF of it's anti-Davion ways. She thought to herself.

As she stalked the hallways at 3am, something the Palace staff was having trouble dealing with, she halted at a certain spot in the hallway. I wonder if it is till here she thought as she touched the wall and gave a slight push. The section of wall gave way and a small door appeared almost seamless along the wall. Candace smiled to herself, yep, still here. She pushed the hidden door open and slipped inside pushing the door closed behind her. She now stood in a narrow hallway that angled slightly downward. 33 steps to the stairs her memory told her. She slowly counted them out and almost tumbled down the stairs, 33 steps for a kid, 27 steps for an adult she thought to herself with a smile. She placed her hand on the wall near the stairs and felt the light switch there. She flipped it on.

As the small lights flickered on, her smile broadened ever wider. This was her old stomping grounds. The stairs led down 2 floors and allowed entry via another secret door to the Palace's kitchen. How many nights did I sneak down there to raid the kitchen instead of being asleep Candace thought with a smile at the memories. She even had fond memories of her father catching her emerging from the hidden door, there he was standing there holding the cookies and milk she was after, Daughter, the chef's have been complaining that someone has been stealing milk and cookies from the kitchen, what do you have to say for yourself? Maximillian Liao had asked her. Wanna share with me dad? she had replied sheepishly. Why do you think I am down here waiting on you, I will have to talk to the chef's though, there are not enough chocolate chip cookies for both of us, I hate the raisin oatmeal. He had said with a smile. That was long before he went mad. Those were the memories she used when thinking of her father.

Candace took the stairs slowly but soon she reached the hidden door and tried to open it. It would not budge. Well shit, they must have sealed it off, she said to herself, tomorrow I will have to check the other side and see if I can "secretly" undo whatever they did to it. She turned and climbed the stairs back to her residence level of the Palace, reentering the hallway and carefully resealing the hidden door back into place. She returned to her room thinking to herself your 68 years old and here you are sneaking about trying to raid the kitchen.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #765 on: 15 January 2019, 01:44:25 »
Very nice short story

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #766 on: 15 January 2019, 06:51:56 »
Aaahh yess... Back when Max was still considered sane.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #767 on: 15 January 2019, 14:56:34 »
  24 December 3056
               Sian

Chancellor Candace Allard Liao had spent the last 4 days prowling the Palace she had grown up in. So much had changed yet so much was so familiar. She had discovered she had trouble sleeping in this Palace for some reason. Maybe I have trouble sleeping because I know how difficult the coming changes will be to the people of the Confederation. They were soon going to discover what freedom was like. The people of the St. Ives Compact had lived the last 29 years with more freedoms than any but the most trusted in the Confederation. Kai is going to have his hands full flushing the CCAF of it's anti-Davion ways. She thought to herself.

As she stalked the hallways at 3am, something the Palace staff was having trouble dealing with, she halted at a certain spot in the hallway. I wonder if it is till here she thought as she touched the wall and gave a slight push. The section of wall gave way and a small door appeared almost seamless along the wall. Candace smiled to herself, yep, still here. She pushed the hidden door open and slipped inside pushing the door closed behind her. She now stood in a narrow hallway that angled slightly downward. 33 steps to the stairs her memory told her. She slowly counted them out and almost tumbled down the stairs, 33 steps for a kid, 27 steps for an adult she thought to herself with a smile. She placed her hand on the wall near the stairs and felt the light switch there. She flipped it on.

As the small lights flickered on, her smile broadened ever wider. This was her old stomping grounds. The stairs led down 2 floors and allowed entry via another secret door to the Palace's kitchen. How many nights did I sneak down there to raid the kitchen instead of being asleep Candace thought with a smile at the memories. She even had fond memories of her father catching her emerging from the hidden door, there he was standing there holding the cookies and milk she was after, Daughter, the chef's have been complaining that someone has been stealing milk and cookies from the kitchen, what do you have to say for yourself? Maximillian Liao had asked her. Wanna share with me dad? she had replied sheepishly. Why do you think I am down here waiting on you, I will have to talk to the chef's though, there are not enough chocolate chip cookies for both of us, I hate the raisin oatmeal. He had said with a smile. That was long before he went mad. Those were the memories she used when thinking of her father.

Candace took the stairs slowly but soon she reached the hidden door and tried to open it. It would not budge. Well shit, they must have sealed it off, she said to herself, tomorrow I will have to check the other side and see if I can "secretly" undo whatever they did to it. She turned and climbed the stairs back to her residence level of the Palace, reentering the hallway and carefully resealing the hidden door back into place. She returned to her room thinking to herself your 68 years old and here you are sneaking about trying to raid the kitchen.

never too old to raid a kitchen
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #768 on: 15 January 2019, 22:12:13 »
 9 January 3057
          St. Ives

Archon Prince Victor Steiner Davion was being led in to meet Chancellor Candace Liao after arriving via command circuit from New Avalon. Neither of them felt Sian was ready for the leader of the Federated Commonwealth to actually set foot on that particular world yet. As he entered the large office he saw Chancellor Candance Liao getting up from he desk to greet him.

"Prince Victor, I hope you did not feel insulted by my suggesting meeting here instead of on Sian. Currently the people are slowly getting used to the idea that major changes have occurred. But having you there would have caused some unrest and set things back some." Candace said

"Not at all Chancellor, St. Ives is fine for me. I suggested we meet in person to discuss things instead of by HPG. Now, per your request, we have made the announcement of the change in Chancellor to our prisoners. The mercenary troops took the change in stride with no major issues. Of prisoners of the CCAF units, they say they will serve the Confederation. I would still advise some caution with the Warrior House troops.

As to the planets the AFFC captured or surrendered to the AFFC. I have given the issue much thought and will probably catch some grief about it from home, but I am going to return all the worlds back to your rule. I will return the borders to exactly where they stood on 31 August 3056 before hostilities began. IF you renounce all claims to our Sarna March, end support for the guerrilla forces there, renounce all claim to Tikonov and Chesterton worlds.

I will also return all captured CCAF and CC flagged jumpships and dropships to you. Along with captured CCAF military equipment to you. Should help you rebuild a little faster. We captured 3 unfinished cruisers at Necromo. I will also return those to you, and will provide assistance in completing them for you. In addition, I will assist Rashpur-Owens by putting them in contact with Mitchell Aerospace and see about helping your Jumpship construction efforts in the Confederation. I would like to work out an official alliance with you. Mutual Defense, Favored Trading Partner, something along those lines. It will help both our nations become closer, we have centuries of distrust to overcome on both sides of the border.

As to reparations, just having to not worry about a sudden strike from the Confederation is more than enough. I am here to assist you in any way I can." Victor said

Chancellor Candace Liao was slightly taken aback by Prince Victor's offer. Not only was he giving all the captured worlds back, but he was returning captured equipment, ships. "Prince Victor, please call me Candace now and forever. I graciously accept your offer. When I return to Sian with this news, don't take it the wrong way, but the media will portray that I strong armed you into a full return of everything. I will work to make it official, Mutual Defense, full allies, even possibly basing rights. The last one might take some time to accomplish. From me and Kai, we will stand with the FC whenever and wherever they need us."

"Thank you Candace, you may always call me Victor in return. Your son is one of my best friends and always will be after all. I really wish I could have seen him, but I understand he has his hands full." Victor said

"Yes he does, it will take some years to reform the CCAF to something close to the St. Ives Military. He is already planning hard at it. Some units from the past will be reformed. I am sorry to report, but when the current production runs are completed for the AFFC, I will need to redirect those factories to rebuilding the CCAF." Candace said

"I understand Candace. Tell you what, any production runs not already shipped to the FC are hereby turned over to the SIC as military aid. I will catch some grief for that from my bean counters, but I will make them understand that the Commonwealth needs a strong Confederation as a ally. What do you plan to do about the WoB?" Victor said

"You continue to surprise me Victor, your are getting very good at the winning friends over game. When I return I will be severing the HPG contract with them and inviting Comstar back in to run them." Candace said

"I look forward to working closely with you in the future Candace. I am sorry to cut this short but I must return to New Avalon. I will keep my troops in place and put Marshal Bishop Sortek in touch with Kai, when Kai feels his troops are ready to maintain order, he and the Marshal can coordinate the withdraw of AFFC troops from your worlds in a orderly fashion." Victor said

12 January 3057
         New Avalon

"You know Highness, returning those worlds to the Confederation and having Candace and Kai running the show will free up a sizeable amount of troops from the border there. We cannot strip it entirely, but we should free up 5-6 full RCT's to be deployed elsewhere. Maybe a few more, depends on the way Kai deploys his forces. If he keeps the former SIC troops along our border, we might even free up several more." Marshall of the Armies Morgan Hasek Davion said

"I was thinking the same thing Morgan. I been thinking that over, I want to form at least 2 rapid deployment forces. 2 full RCT's in each. Outfit them with LF Monolith's, new dropships to lessen the transport burden. Maybe even assign each a warship escort, I vision placing 1 of the RDF's say around the Sarna March, the other near the periphery region. I would like to have them fully outfitted and used to working with each other closely by 3059, no later than 3060. Work something up and we will compare notes. We might even use 4 individual RCT's instead of together. Let's brainstorm this in a few days. I did not like having troops holding for a month solo like we did." Victor said

"I will begin work on some ideas right away Highness." Morgan replied
« Last Edit: 15 January 2019, 22:20:24 by 2ndAcr »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #769 on: 15 January 2019, 23:22:30 »
 12 January 3057
           Sian

Kai had spent the last 2 weeks working with the SICM command to come up with a re-organized CCAF. He thought he finally had it pretty well hammered out.

St. Ives Armored Cavalry Brigade

1st St Ives Lancers
  2nd St Ives Lancers
  1st St. Ives Sentinels- formerly Aleshia's Mounted Fusiliers
  2nd St. Ives Sentinels- formerly Raymond's Armored Infantry
  First St. Ives Cheveau-Légers- formerly Stapleton's Grenadiers

St. Ives Janissaries

1st Janissaries Brigade (3 combined arms regiments)
  2nd Janissaries Brigade (3 combined arms regiments)

Capellan Hussars

Red Lancers
  Prefecture Guard
  Blandford's Grenadiers

Confederation Reserve Cavalry

1st Confederation Reserve Cavalry- formerly Kingston's Legionnaires
  2nd Confederation Reserve Cavalry
  3rd Confederation Reserve Cavalry
  4th Confederation Reserve Cavalry- formerly Sung's Cuirassiers
  5th Confederation Reserve Cavalry

Warrior Houses

Warrior House Imarra
  Warrior House Kamata
  Warrior House Hiritsu
  Warrior House Lu Sann
  Warrior House Dai Da Chi
  Warrior House Fujita
  Warrior House Matsukai
  Warrior House Ijori

On his mother's return to Sian, Kai was going to approach her about getting McCarron's Armored Cavalry to join the CCAF full time and possibly even several other smaller mercenary units with a long history to the Confederation.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #770 on: 15 January 2019, 23:46:58 »
Nice update!    Hopefully the CC will be better off, but Kali Laio is still around!    This might backfire on Victor. 

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #771 on: 16 January 2019, 02:23:10 »
The only question is who will Kali kill first. >:D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #772 on: 16 January 2019, 04:38:24 »
Hmmm... the report from Great Gorge hasn't made it anywhere yet?  ???

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #773 on: 16 January 2019, 06:07:44 »
 Well, it has, I just wanted to finish up the Capellan War.

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #774 on: 16 January 2019, 12:32:10 »
I really don’t envy Kai his current job and also waiting for the other shoe to drop with Kali is just painful though I expect her to start throwing WMD’s around on Sian with WoB help since they proably don’t want to lose the revenue coming out of the CC

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #775 on: 16 January 2019, 12:39:50 »
Fixing Kali is simple - just drop a Mech Battalion together with an infantry regiment right on top of her to catch her and then keep her imprisoned separately: the torso here, the head there and the rest nailed to all four corners of the estate ...  :P

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #776 on: 16 January 2019, 14:33:35 »
Fixing Kali is simple - just drop a Mech Battalion together with an infantry regiment right on top of her to catch her and then keep her imprisoned separately: the torso here, the head there and the rest nailed to all four corners of the estate ...  :P

You forgot the woodern stake through the heart.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #777 on: 16 January 2019, 16:41:26 »
Ok, wooden stakes for nailing down and to ... but otherwise no mixing of metaphors, please  :)

Edit added: This is Battletech and not Buffytech  ::)
« Last Edit: 17 January 2019, 04:27:26 by cklammer »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #778 on: 16 January 2019, 17:38:35 »
What heart. That's a lvl5 implant. ;)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #779 on: 18 January 2019, 05:48:32 »
  15 January 3057
           Bamburg

Brigadier General Cunnard stood on the slight hilltop overlooking the area selected for the tank production facility. Engineers had already begun clearing and leveling the ground. Actual assembly of the plant would begin mid February with a estimated completion of construction set for April. Current projections show the plant would employ roughly 15 thousand people directly and another 40 thousand indirectly. Along with the arrival of the tank factory, an exact copy of the Mackolla armor plant had arrived along with 200 fully trained employee's of MAS and 2 of the ex-Clan scientists to assist in training the locals in the new factories operation.

The arrival of over 1500 FedCom civil engineers, planners and administration types had taken a huge load off his shoulders. Those 1500 were already training thousands of locals in new jobs. General Cunnard and the lead civil engineer had selected the area near ex-Baron Crocney's city as the location for the production facilities.

CSM O'Malley was a god send in the training department. He had setup a training program that was quite remarkable. Now that things were not as ad hoc, he had setup a basic training program of 6 months and then the personnel move on to advanced training. 1 year additional for Infantry and 1.5 additional for Armor. He even had his assigned mechanics teaching new mechanics the trade. They could even train all the support personnel. Cooks, supply, transport etc. He currently had in training:

2 Infantry Regiments in basic training
 3 Infantry Regiments in advanced training
 2 Armor Regiments in basic training
 2 Armor Regiments in advanced training

Mackolla

Scott had given the Boss the go ahead to build 4 of the Victory Cruisers, but only after all refits had been completed on the existing ships. They would take roughly 9 months each to build. Construction would begin around April 3057 according to the Boss. The Black Lion was in system and Scott had sent a fax to New Avalon for relay to Comstar for pickup of the ship at Crofton. Scott had also requested the purchase of the production license for Inner Sphere BA. He had been assured by George that they could manufacture it on site at a decent rate and that if they acquired the license would setup a production facility on Bamburgh for it.

The reason for license was easy, the Victory Class Cruisers each carried a full Battalion of BA marines. They either needed to produce the on site or make arrangements to purchase a huge number of those suits. Current plans had the marines scheduled to wear Nighthawk suits.

Hauptman General Daly had his 6th Davion Guards RCT fully based at his own compound 140km from the Space Port complex. May 3057 had been selected for a month long force on force exercise between the 6th Davion Guards RCT and Honos' Cluster.

Scott had been notified of the large pirate raid on Great Gorge and knew it had to be the last pirate band they did not have a chance to take out before being recalled. He did not yet have plans to engage the pirates, but it was definitely on his wish list.