Author Topic: (Answered) Critical hit Ammunition explosion  (Read 1445 times)

Laphtiya

• Private
(Answered) Critical hit Ammunition explosion
« on: 16 July 2019, 07:58:48 »
I have a question about the Critical hit effect: Ammunition explosion.  So from what I understand (using the SRM2 example in the manual) the damage done from an explosion is 2x2x50. 2 missiles, 2 damage per missile, 50 shot per ton totalling 200 points of damage.  My question is that when you read later under mechwarrior hit point it seems to suggest that these are survivable as the pilot takes damage from this.  But at 200 points it seems difficult for me to imagine something surviving this.  Is the damage still transferred inward as normal?  For example 1 ton of SRM2 ammo in the RT explodes taking out the RT, is the remaining damage then transferred to the CT?

I am playing with the GoAC.  I don't have Total Warfare or any other additional rules or mechs other than what comes in the box.  So please forgive my ignorance.  I am also yet to run my first game so I would like to have this clarified first before playing.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2019, 20:31:13 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Critical hit Ammunition explosion
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2019, 20:31:02 »
You are reading it correctly.  Unless an ammunition bin is almost empty, an explosion is usually lethal.  AGoAC does not cover this, but this is why most mechs will automatically eject the pilot the moment an ammunition explosion happens.  The damage to the pilot comes into play in the case of a mostly-empty explosion, and if you're playing a campaign and need to assign an ejected warrior to a new mech.  (In addition, once you move on to Total Warfare or the BattleMech Manual, there exists equipment that allows a mech to survive even a large explosion.)

3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Laphtiya

• Private
Re: Critical hit Ammunition explosion
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2019, 03:19:44 »
You are reading it correctly.  Unless an ammunition bin is almost empty, an explosion is usually lethal.  AGoAC does not cover this, but this is why most mechs will automatically eject the pilot the moment an ammunition explosion happens.  The damage to the pilot comes into play in the case of a mostly-empty explosion, and if you're playing a campaign and need to assign an ejected warrior to a new mech.  (In addition, once you move on to Total Warfare or the BattleMech Manual, there exists equipment that allows a mech to survive even a large explosion.)

Thank you for the speedy reply and clarification, that helps a lot.