Author Topic: Heavy SRMs  (Read 1903 times)

Retry

• Lieutenant
Heavy SRMs
« on: 08 April 2020, 13:37:03 »
Heavy SRM

The Heavy SRM launchers are less-common alternatives to the standard SRM launchers.  The Heavy SRM actually predates the now more-common variant, introduced around the same time as the LRM.  With a missile weight twice that of the LRM, the Heavy SRM packs a warhead 3x more potent than the LRM's at respectable ranges.  However, the Heavy SRM launchers were on the heavy side, which usually meant significant sacrifices had to be made when mounting them as secondary weapons.

The "Standard" SRM was developed later to miniaturize the launcher, so the SRM could be use as a secondary weapon to supplement autocannons and rifle cannons with few sacrifices.  The new SRM launcher's weight was halved, its bulk reduced, and its ammunition bin expanded through the use of a lighter missile at the cost of only some range and damage.  This was considered a worthwhile trade, as the new SRM became popular and common enough to become considered the "Standard" SRM launcher, while the original older SRM launcher became the "Heavy" SRM launcher.

While the Heavy SRM is not "rare" in any sense of the word, the Standard SRM is the clear favorite on the battlefield.  The Heavy SRM is mostly found on specialized missile boats and troop garrisons where the heavier weight of the launcher and ammo is not as large of a concern.  Great House military forces on the offensive and mercenaries generally prefer the Standard SRM for most scenarios, with the notable exception of the Lyran Commonwealth which field a disproportionately large number of HSRM-equipped designs.

HSRM2  HSRM4  HSRM6
Dmg/missile      3      3      3
Range          4/8/12 4/8/12 4/8/12
Heat             2      3      4
Shots/ton        30     15     10
Tons             2      4      6
Crits            1      2      3

« Last Edit: 08 April 2020, 13:43:39 by Retry »

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
Re: Heavy SRMs
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2020, 14:49:37 »
Nice idea, although it would be great to be more interchangeable with LRMs, so the Medium Rack might weight as much as the same LRM...so 5tons,
Well would be a Assault Class Heavy SRM rack fire 8 missiles for 10tons?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2020, 15:19:06 »
Why not just mainstream ATMs but fix them at the HE ranges?

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2020, 17:20:25 »
Nice idea, although it would be great to be more interchangeable with LRMs, so the Medium Rack might weight as much as the same LRM...so 5tons,
Well would be a Assault Class Heavy SRM rack fire 8 missiles for 10tons?
Despite the fluff, I based the Heavy SRM on the regular SRM racks when I designed them, which would explain that inconsistency.  I was loosely inspired by the infantry-based Heavy SRM launcher, which seemed to have a heavier 18kg missile for some reason
Why not just mainstream ATMs but fix them at the HE ranges?
ATMs are introduced significantly later and they're higher tech.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2020, 17:32:17 »
I think increasing range AND damage was a bit much.  I'd just have gone with damage.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2020, 20:18:20 »
I think increasing range AND damage was a bit much.  I'd just have gone with damage.
This is intentional.  I wanted a competitive intro-tech style weapon with the 4/8/12 bracket.  Increasing the damage by 50% while leaving the weight increase 100% would basically make it a bad version of the SRM, which is not what I wanted.  Increasing both weight and damage by 50% work, but make the HSRM bland.  This way, the standard SRM's advantage is its light-weight alternative ammo options and crit-seeking that can fit easily in a pinch, and the heavy SRM's advantage is that it's more practical as a "primary" weapon for some short-ranged missile boats thanks to the range and damage buff.

As a side effect, the BV is super easy to calculate for the weapon.  Just take the standard SRM's BV and double it to get the Heavy SRM BV (SRM-6 at 59 BV, double that to get HSRM-6 at 118 BV.)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2020, 13:47:10 »
Nice idea, im sure it would fit a role.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

M4nG4n

• Recruit
  • 3D Space is my domain...
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2020, 04:39:28 »
Interesting concept. I wonder if MML's would fit these... ;)