Author Topic: HBS Discussion Thread (No Spoilers!)  (Read 29091 times)

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
Re: HBS Discussion Thread (No Spoilers!)
« Reply #240 on: 04 June 2018, 08:25:55 »
I'll give it a shot. Thank you

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #241 on: 04 June 2018, 10:11:22 »
As I said, one might as well install the CBT values mod and be done with all the ridiculous balancing issues HBS introduced.

(Actually that's not quite true... I reverted the SRM & LRM dmg values back to their vanilla numbers since they are already OPed as it is due to stability damage and different resolution of missile hits)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #242 on: 09 June 2018, 16:00:17 »
Over all, how well does the game handle modding? Patches cause problems? I've heard it's not as simple as just dropping a folder somewhere.  I really want to pick up this mod, but Nexus' no longer supported mod manager has made me soft and timid when it comes to modding.  Younger me would be ashamed.   "you used to play around in Window's registry for fun! Without making backups first! What happened to you!?"  :'(

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/135
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #243 on: 10 June 2018, 09:28:11 »
Over all, how well does the game handle modding? Patches cause problems? I've heard it's not as simple as just dropping a folder somewhere.  I really want to pick up this mod, but Nexus' no longer supported mod manager has made me soft and timid when it comes to modding.  Younger me would be ashamed.   "you used to play around in Window's registry for fun! Without making backups first! What happened to you!?"  :'(

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/135

A lot of things are very simple to mod since you can edit json files that are essentially plain text. Unfortunately, if a patch makes updates to the files you edited your changes will go away.

To get around that, most of the mods out there actually do stick things in a separate mod folder and modify a single file so the game references the files in the new folder instead of the originals. That means only that one file needs updated after a patch.

I haven't tried the mod you linked since I've been playing other stuff (after hitting 150 hours in battletech) but based on some mods I experimented with it should be a few easy steps to get going.

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #244 on: 27 June 2018, 02:30:42 »
One thing that really helps with missiles is reducing their clustering values in the CombatGameConstants.json, found under BATTLETECH/Battletech_Data/StreamingAssets/data/constants.

"ClusterChanceOriginalLocationMultiplier": 8, -> adjust to 4
"ClusterChanceAdjacentMultiplier": 4, -> adjust to 2
"ClusterChanceNonadjacentMultiplier": 1,
This makes the missiles behave a lot more like we are used to from CBT, clustering all over the target instead of behaving more like "Follow the Leader" special ammunition and drilling through one section and it's adjacent ones.

Adjusting the missile weapons stability damage will also help greatly, even a slight reduction makes AC's noticeably better at inflicting stability damage. Their values are in the same path as above, just in the "/weapon" folder instead of the "/constants" folder.
There's also another variable I would definately change if you do this however!

"UnsteadyCountersGuarded" - this is set to false by default... it would just be overpowered with the vanilla stability damage inflicted by missiles. I would set it to true if you use the reduced clustering settings and reduce stability damage of missiles.

FYI, there are a lot more settings that can hugely affect the way the game plays, besides just the sensor and view ranges. There are variables for "SolidBlow" "NormalBlow and "GlancingBlow", which all have their own damage multiplier and can be set to counter guarded as well. This is potentially a tool to make Assault and Heavy Mechs less powerful compared to Mediums and Lights, since one good high damage salvo could strip the guarded status, which the Bulwark trait automatically applies if a Mech with such a pilot does not move(except for facing changes).

Regarding the problems ArkRoyalRavager has with the refire modifier that autocannons get, consider not firing them more than a few rounds in a row and insted jump+brace or sprint to a better position. Not only will you force the AI to react to a sudden threat in its flank(which it does, usually by pulling back the most damaged Mech's), you also get potential side shots which make it much easier to drill through a Mechs armor to the CT, since you can't hit the opposite side torso or arm from a side firing position. This goes especially for the AC20, since it gets the highest refire debuff. A pilot with high guts(like the starter Mechwarrior Behemoth) also helps tremendously with this penality... and if paired with the "evasive movement" skill and high piloting(which extends your sprint distance), offers another option... just going into melee, or sprinting into a position that threatens a melee attack next turn. The refire modifier resets after not firing the AC for one round.

Beware though... any patch will likely overwrite your changes, so you may want to save the changed files somewhere else for backup, or you will have to do this all over again if a major patch comes in or you have to repair the installation for some reason.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2018, 02:44:04 by SD501st »

Register