Author Topic: Pirates Game  (Read 1990 times)

Talmor

Pirates Game
« on: 12 March 2011, 23:04:09 »
Hello,

I've long been a big fan of the Battletech universe, and have run a two games with Mechwarrior.  I've never run actual "mechwarriors" in Mechwarrior, though.  I ran a urban gang game in 2nd, and a Call of Cthulhu mashup in 3rd.  Now, I have a player looking to play in a space pirate game.  As a big fan of the setting, I was wondering if this will work.  I've never played any of the "proper" battltech books, but I think I need Aerotech/Battle Space/Total Warfare, as I don't see any space combat rules in the core book.

Would this work?  I want space combat to fun and neat and exciting, and blend well with the scale of the characters.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
Re: Pirates Game
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2011, 01:10:07 »
Total Warfare has nearly all the AeroTech rules you need. Strategic Operations will have the rest.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2011, 21:09:12 »
Piracy exists but just some general notes:

A: In general if tactical scale combat(anything Total Warfare where would be more useful than A Time of War) comes up it usually means something went really wrong for the pirates.  That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Things do go wrong.  Pirates just don't have a lot of ready sources of replenishing loses so they tend to be very gun shy.

B: Pirates go for easy poorly guarded targets as a consequence of the above.

C: Pirates do bluff, intimidate, ransom, murder, and pillage.

Nargrakhan

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2011, 21:47:47 »
The best way to handle piracy, is simply to read up on actual piracy from real world history. What birthed it, what sustained it, what killed it. Naturally the Caribbean is a fun start.

Generally though, it's safe to say that whenever and wherever the interstellar governments of BTech find themselves unable to commit the military forces to maintain order, piracy will emerge to take advantage of the situation until military forces are commited to annhilate the problem. And there's always somewhere at sometime in the BTech timeline, when the interstellar powers are too busy to have routine military patrols sweep space of pirates.  ;)