Author Topic: Large craft as property  (Read 1413 times)

solmanian

• Captain
Large craft as property
« on: 10 February 2015, 11:00:43 »
I thought about representing droppers and jumpers (maybe even warships) with the property trait. After all, commercially its a pretty reliable source of income, as there's always someone looking to move something somewhere.

Question is what kind of values to use?
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Jewelfox

• Sergeant
  • Inari no kitsune
    • Jewelfox's den
Re: Large craft as property
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2015, 11:12:20 »
Have you considered letting multiple characters pool their starting XP to get a large ship? It's the kind of thing that's normally the focal point for a whole group, after all.

With that in mind, I might ballpark it at +5 TP for something like a Unity-class spheroid dropship and +10 TP for a jumpship or warship, with modifiers for things like outdated technology or special features like smuggler's holds.

Edit: If you're trying to figure out how much money you'd get annually from each kind of ship, I'm honestly not sure where you'd find that out. It doesn't seem like it'd be the best measure of a warship's value, though, unless you are into piracy. Which could be fun. :)
« Last Edit: 10 February 2015, 11:18:32 by Jewelfox »

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2015, 11:42:19 »
For military ships I'd probably use the landholds table. So a company carriar with would be something like TP(+7). Jumpers would probably be a function of the number of collars. I'd probably use that for warships as well with a bonus. Warships are more of a national resource, but you need it for scale.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Jewelfox

• Sergeant
  • Inari no kitsune
    • Jewelfox's den
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2015, 16:38:47 »
I honestly don't know how useful the point cost is, all things considered. If the campaign is going to be about a warship's crew do you really need to charge the players XP to have the warship? The same technically goes for other large ships.

I'd only charge XP for something that goes beyond the core assumption, like if someone wants to have their own personal dropship attached to one of the collars.

I personally like how they handled this in Rogue Trader, one of the Warhammer 40,000 RPGs. The game's core assumption is that the group has its own ship, but the decisions you make during chargen help determine what kind of ship it is.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2015, 18:19:21 »
My intention isn't to charge the players XP for them, merely to establish scale between ground and space economic assets (as well as grounded and mobile assets).

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2015, 16:08:29 »
Well MW3 said that if you should get an Assault weight ASF instead you get a Dropper, AToW changed that to getting a Small Craft, so I'd use a SuperHeavy ASF to own a Dropper

Register