Author Topic: MEGAMEK HANDBOOK V.1  (Read 5538 times)

Ladob

• Sergeant
MEGAMEK HANDBOOK V.1
« on: 17 March 2011, 12:31:11 »
I'm proud to present the door to new players! I will be working on the updated, more clear (as graphics go) version of it. But this one should help a lot introduce new players to MegaMek.

There will be a Spanish and German version of it soon. I would be happy if some russian guy could help me out with another one.

Beerocks and Darkisi, feel free to put a copy of that right on the Megamek main page if you want.

The Online updated version is ready, but will be launched togheter with the "come and play" meeting place for MegaMek lovers, The Chaos March: the plan is to use MekWars just as main "login and chat" base, no hangars, no campaign, nothing, just login, find people, get into a dedicated and play. No need for checking IPs or opening up MSN and so on... ;)

http://shacked.battletek.org/downloads/MegaMek_Handbook_v1.pdf
« Last Edit: 17 March 2011, 12:33:19 by Ladob »
Change, even for the worse

BeeRockxs

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
Re: MEGAMEK HANDBOOK V.1
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2011, 12:52:03 »
Thanks Ladob!

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2011, 15:33:18 »
OOoooooh Aaaaaah.... sounds too good to be true... [rockon]
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2011, 17:52:31 »
Perhaps we can include a variant of this in the regular MegaMek release?
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Ladob

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2011, 02:46:35 »
It's meant for the regular release. :)

Notice that the image links work if you get internet, and show bigger, clear images.
I'm making myself notes of missing, important stuff, you guys can use this thread to point me to mistakes and missing stuff as well!

As of now.
Code: [Select]
V1.0 Needed Corrections
- Add Game Options and Client Options explanation, plus hint about Chat Box Autoslide down being turned off
- Optional extra set with general after the hardware information, game tips (thanks Meyst)
- MUL edition explanation
- BLK/MTF edition explanation
- Adding new units
- Scenario Making
- Using the Map Editor
- Generated Map settings

I would actually perhaps make two Handbooks. A quickstart guide (sort of this one with but GameOptions/ClientOptions explained) and a more complete one MegaMek Edition Handbook, perhaps.
Change, even for the worse

starbird

« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2011, 12:43:03 »
I would mention that in Linux, BSD, etc, even maybe OSX, you can run the startup.sh script to run megamek.

It doesn't come with the exec bit set, so you have to do it either through your WM or 'chmod +x startup.sh' from a shell.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2011, 17:52:11 »
I skimmed over it. Really great work. Thank you very much for your ongoing time and effort you put into this and other things :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2011, 07:23:17 »
I have made a few documents about some aerospace stuff in MegaMek, as well as for some BLK files.  If you want, you can include those :)
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2011, 11:35:30 »
Great work, Ladob. A couple of notes:

- You may want to identify what version you are describing. Those screenshots will throw off people using the stable as the GUI has changed.

- With the new development releases there is a double-clickable native Mac Icon to launch MegaMek. Users won't even see the MegaMek.jar file.

- You might want to spell out the differences between MekWars and MegaMek at the beginning so newbies aren't confused.
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

saintbrandon

• Sergeant
  • Brandon "Icarus" Taylor
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2011, 08:47:50 »
Thank you so much, I can't wait to get off work in 7 hours and try this out! I want to play this game so bad :)
Don't try to tell me how some power can corrupt a person
You havn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry 'cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head because you know that I'm right, all right

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2020, 17:11:42 »
OK... I had it Loaded. I got it to work. I do not know how to use it (example: create my current game TOE, I see no option to add funds or add equipment.... HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP.
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2020, 21:23:00 »
OK... I had it Loaded. I got it to work. I do not know how to use it (example: create my current game TOE, I see no option to add funds or add equipment.... HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP.

If you are playing AtB (Using MekHQ) look in the Docs folder for the Against the Bot Starter Guide (and other guides)

Also YouTube is your Friend - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHXHV2JDcebr4J3VyJlmU-Yp3cZp_OhWV

If you search for Megamek you can see lots of videos showing the game.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2020, 22:23:09 »
Yeah, I'm slowly grasping to concepts (from watching at least 2 different videos). The problem is they don't fully answer all my questions (example, I had GMed into existence a experimental group (5 mechs and a Dropship to carry 4 of them). If I read the details right, 4 mechs were travelling BUT not the dropship?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Register