Author Topic: New Development Snapshot 0.47.6 for Megamek, MegaMekLab, and MekHQ  (Read 10119 times)

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Hi Everyone,
About a month since our last dev release and we had some nasty bugs in 0.47.5 for MekHQ. Those should be fixed for this version.

**FOR MAC USERS**
There isn't a Mac release and you'll have to use the Unix release. We are having issues with the Gradle packaging scripts and various security settings in MacOS.  We are working on the issue and have no ETA for a fix.

Megamek
Megamek
We got bug fixes. Abandon ship! Large spacecraft can now launch escape pods, giving the opposing player more opportunity to commit war crimes. Princess has also gone back for a couple of combat classes at flight school and learned that turrets should be mounted on the top floor to be more effective. A ton of new sprites (Thanks Deadborder and Saxarba). Speaking of Saxarba we've made his tileset (we were using Atmospheric) the official default tileset of Megamek.

See here for information on the various Tilesets in Megamek.

MegaMekLab
In a word bug fixes and one feature - overhauled Battle Armor Record Sheet printing.

MekHQ.
For MekHQ we've got a chunk of bug fixes and a few QoL new features. See the impact of the war crimes in Abandon ship! first hand in MekHQ.

Also a reminder to drop into the Slack channel to meet other players and harass the devs that drop in and out. If Slack isn't your thing check out these Discords with Megamek channels - Everything BattleTech and Classic BattleTech

As a reminder when moving between versions:
1)   Make backups of your campaigns and customs.
2)   Always treat each release as a stand alone release and only copy your data forward from older versions.

There is a good chance you’ll have issues in MekHQ with unit name changes.  If you get errors loading your campaign as result of unit name errors please see this post.

Name Issues with units
The change log below lists all the changes in this release from the previous stable.

CHANGE LOGS AND DOWNLOAD LINKS
Megamek.
Download Here
Code: [Select]
+ Issue #1814: Fuel-air bomb infantry insta-kill check is no longer reversed
+ PR #1808: Abandon ship! Large spacecraft can now launch escape pods, giving the opposing player more opportunity to commit war crimes.
+ Issue #1824: Implementing Tactical Operations Low Visibility Errata
+ Issue #1768: Resizing the map no longer messes up building/road layout. Note that resizing westward needs to be done by an even number of hexes.
+ Issue #1812: Semi-guided warheads indirectly fired at TAGged targets are no longer subject to terrain modifiers for the purposes of "to-hit" numbers.
+ PR #1837: The bot will now be able to use a searchlight on buildings without crashing the server.
+ Documentation: Trailer How-To added (thanks mkerensky)
+ Data: First SW RATs - Thanks SLDF_gunslinger
+ PR #1843: Saxarba roads
+ Data: Adding Royal Fantasy units as Unofficial.
+ Data: New Sprites
+ Issue #1802 - Kajis Maps and Scenarios Update
+ Data: Missing Archive Sprites
+ Issue #1830 - Sarath 'Mech - Lacking Quirk
+ Issue #1827 - Not every head hit on a quad mech should be a through-armor critical
+ PR #1847 - Restore the bot's ability to use physical attacks against buildings containing gun emplacements
+ Data: Various unit errata Fixes.
+ Issues #1496, #1467: Ammo Sharing between adjacent trailers/tractors, Allow infantry loading/unloading to trains,
  Errata: Calculate MP of trains using engine rating + lowest suspension factor
+ Data: More Errata fixes, and fixes for units that should work.
+ Issue #1862 - Fix BA SSW weight multiplier.
+ PR # 1838: Add Silverfin and Silverback to naval RAT generator tables
+ Issue #1860: Quality of Life improvement - edit bot parameters in lobby by right clicking on bot name
+ PR #1835: Game option to set turn time limit in movement and firing phases.
+ Issue #1853: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException while loading certain mechs and viewing in Selector
+ PR #1875: Fixing Clanner Name Generation
+ Issue #1879: DFL folder to SimonLandmine
+ PR #1883: Improved Princess effectiveness with aerospace units on low altitude maps (can now turn at end of movement)
+ Issue #1786: Corrected Stacked Units Tooltip ECM Reporting
+ Issue #1856: Map Editor - Bridges now appear on preview hex and various QoL changes
+ Issue #1891: Battlefist now applies only once and for the proper arm
+ PR #1901: Re-enable Princess to fire rocket launchers and other one-shot weapons
+ PR #1908: Switching default tileset to Saxarba
+ PR #1909: BA Tube artillery fixes #1848,#1849

MegaMekLab.
Download Here
+ Issue #553: Loading or printing LAM causes ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
+ PR #557: BattleArmor record sheet overhaul
+ Issue #536: Support Fixed Wing Aircraft with Propeller mod will not validate
+ Issue #556: Basic saved file name does not have a space between Chassis and Model
+ Issue #555: Can't add Ammo to SV's
+ Issue #571: Environmental Sealing chassis mod on support vehicles requires 8 item slots
+ Issue #578: Squad Support Weapon Weight Calculations off
+ Issue #582: Large support vehicles incorrectly flag some equipment locations as invalid
+ Issue #581: Rotors can have more than 2 points of armor
+ Issue #550: Battle Armor bomb rack ammo critical space
+ Issue #583: Small SV Cargo weirdness
+ Issue #587: Unit transport bays can be added by half cubicle
+ Issue #531: Armored motive system appears in equipment list for VTOLs and rail
+ Issue #533: BV for Swarm-I ammunition shows floating point errors
+ Issue #538: Auto-allocation of armor for fixed-wing support craft loses armor points
+ Issue #539: I can't add some items to fixed-wing support units
+ Issue #540: Weight breakdown shows all weights rounded to one decimal place
+ Issue #591: Vehicular Grenade Launchers/Vehicular mine dispensers not available on aerospace craft
+ Issue #537: Formatting error in Unit Cost Breakdown for fixed-wing support units
+ Issue #541: Allocated armor is not reported correctly for DropShips/small craft after SI changes.
+ Issue #542: The Infantry Compartment field on the Transport pane is ignored for DropShips and small craft
+ Issue #552: Changing bay personnel can incorrectly change base and total crew on a JS/WS/station
+ Issue #559: Naval Com-Scanner Suites require no crew
+ Issue #562: Fuel mass for advanced aerospace craft appears to be rounded down to the nearest whole ton
+ Issue #593: TRO shows incorrect ammo shot count for weapon bays
+ Issue #595: All mechs with ICE or fuel cell need power amplifiers
+ Issue #596: Combat vehicle environmental sealing takes no mass
+ Issue #598: Extraneous weapons appearing on fighter record sheet
+ Issue #543: I can't always assign legal values for the armor tonnage on Small craft/DropShips
+ Issue #546: Dropdown menu's text turns invisible

MekHQ:
Download Here
+ PR #1610: Raised cost of edge points from 1 to 10 for the AtB configuration preset.
+ PR #1627: Moved pregnancy GM items to Personnel GM menu (and hide GM menu if not a GM)
+ Issue #1612: Adding Scrolling to Marriage Candidates
+ PR #1606: Abandon ship (MekHQ version)! Crews of large craft and units transported aboard large craft are handled during scenario resolution.
+ PR #1618: De-clutter assign lance tech menu in TO&E
+ Issue #1632: All random marriages default to same sex
+ Issue #1626: Adding Time in Rank to MekHQ
+ PR #1634: Fixing Activate/Mothball Display Text
+ Issue #1636: ExtraData Export Fails because of Null Mapping
+ PR #1642: Fixing Popup Display Text Spacing Issues in DataLoadingDialog
+ Issue #1218: Personnel Total Earnings Tracking
+ Issue #1613: Automatically Output Finances Table to File on New Year
+ Issue #1134: Option to Disable Dependent Automatic Addition in AtB
+ PR #1645: Deploying units as reinforcements to AtB and template scenarios no longer defaults them to the "any" deployment zone
+ Issue #1649, #1651: Fixing ExtraData Unmarshaller
+ PR #1654: Fixing Spouse and Baby Load from Personnel export
+ PR #1656: Avoid NPE in Person::isMothballing
+ Issue #1635: Base Salaries Not Displaying Correctly in Nimbus
+ PR #1659: Implementing Log Maintenance
+ PR #1666: Fix bug with personnel original unit tech (if clan tech level)
+ PR #1673: Removing Prisoner to Personnel Random Marriage by implementing Prisoner to Prisoner Random Marriage.
+ PR #1663: Fixing Clanner Name Migration
+ PR #1681: Change refit model weight calculation to work with BA
+ PR #1685: Adding All Role and No Role options for Portraits
+ PR #1688: Single Portrait Bulk Assignment to Personnel
+ Issue #1683: Adding the option to log marriage name changes
+ PR #1670: Improved Standard Awards
+ PR #1693: Fixing Campaign Options Display Spacing Issues
+ Issue #1285: Adding default value to prevent Personnel Market No-Role Personnel
+ Issues #880 and #1671: Paid Recruitment Roll is now based on having an active contract
+ Issues #1614 and #1615: Adding a Financial Year Duration Option
+ PR #1700: Fixed NPE resulting in failure to display personnel tab when a unit is assigned to a non-existent scenario
+ Issue #1691: Personnel are now filtered by primary and secondary roles in the Personnel Tab
+ PR #1580: Adding TryingToMarry and TryingToConceive Flags
+ Issue #1625: Adding Display Format Options for Time in Rank and Time in Service
+ PR #1604: Adding Mnemonics to the Main Tabs and Advance Day
+ Issue #850: Bulk Award Assignment
+ Issues #780 and #1102: Implementing Submenus for Personnel Unit Assignment

Enjoy everyone
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
****HOLDING FOR FUTURE DEV COMMENTS****
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
First! Yay! Good job guys!
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
I see some of the new portraits are included already. Can we download the rest somewhere?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
I see some of the new portraits are included already. Can we download the rest somewhere?

The pack isn't ready yet (No ETA). The ones included are a teaser.  Speaking of which.

Teaser for ships crews
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
Excellent work people!

I'm just playing around with the new version but in HQ I went to personnel tab right clicked on someone and under the GM menu I see an option for Roll for random unit 

That looks new, is it?  What does that do?

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
Excellent work people!

I'm just playing around with the new version but in HQ I went to personnel tab right clicked on someone and under the GM menu I see an option for Roll for random unit 

That looks new, is it?  What does that do?

It was added over year and a half ago, but I've also never noticed it before (which is really bad, cause I've actually modified the code there  :-[ )

It loads the GM tools dialog, with the "Add Random Unit" button assigning the randomly rolled unit to the currently selected person.

Also, love how the portraits are looking in their naval uniforms
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
Yay, thanks for the career earnings tracker!

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
Yay, thanks for the career earnings tracker!

My pleasure  :)
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
There's no one in that portrait teaser with blonde hair.  So are blondes actually extinct in the 31st century?    :D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
There's no one in that portrait teaser with blonde hair.  So are blondes actually extinct in the 31st century?    :D

R O F L what a throwback
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
There is something screwy with moving near buildings. One of my guys keeps falling into basements in clear grassy hexes that are adjacent to buildings.

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
There is something screwy with moving near buildings. One of my guys keeps falling into basements in clear grassy hexes that are adjacent to buildings.

Pit Traps, Asymmetric Warfare 101.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
And here I thought it was someone's root cellar.  ;D  I put in a ticket for it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Any Support Vehicles usable in this version?  Like the FedSuns Rapier Patrol Destroyers (naval support vehicle).
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
Any support vehicles, yes. Although we don't support some of the largest support vessels yet.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Any Support Vehicles usable in this version?  Like the FedSuns Rapier Patrol Destroyers (naval support vehicle).

Large Naval Support vehicles are still a ways off.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
Is set salary not working?  I normally give a pittance salary to any babies born so to represent the unit having to provide day care and other incidentals for attached kids. 

I tried to set salary for the child (any child) and it simply shows a salary of 0 for the kids with unknown jobs.  Even the kids from previous versions where I set the salary successfully, it now shows 0.  Did this get broken?  Should I put a ticket in?

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
Salary does not get paid to dependents, and it displays as 0 for them. That is working as intended.

However, it should not have worked previously either, as the old code also had a check for dependents.

Actually, this gives me an idea... reoccurring expenses for individual personnel could be a pretty useful thing to handle that and similar options, thoughts @Iceweb?
« Last Edit: 07 May 2020, 06:35:02 by Windchild »
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
So I can't give a dependent a salary?  That is odd that it is prevented. 

As for recurring expenses it would be nice to add some stuff that could be triggered on dates. 

As an example I feel that salaries don't eat enough capital to the struggling mercs that we love in fiction.  So every three months everyone gets a bonus equal to their monthly salary.  I would be nice to automate that on the 1st of Jan, Apr, July, and Oct. 

Also I normally spend 25K on an Xmas party on Dec 25th,  Automating that would be nice also. 

drustran

• Recruit
Hello, nice workings.. but i have a little problem. Vehicles which I get as Salvage or buy have allways movement 0/0 and Motive Damage.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
I dislike this as well, but they are shown as 0/0 until you put a crew on them.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
@Iceweb
I honestly thought you could do dated annual expenses, not just a standard yearly expense based on an asset. I'll open a few enhancement stories for a system that would help for that shortly.

For the salary bit you might just want to increase salaries in the Personnel options for the time being.

As for the 0/0 display:
I opened an issue to try to get that fixed, but it has not been picked up as of yet
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
You could use a custom rank structure coupled with a multiplier.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Just had an oddity in a match I setup.

I was pretty sure I setup a 2x2 of 16x17 mapsheets to play on for a lance versus lance fight but I only got 1.

I'll see if I can reproduce it before I file a bug report because it could have just been me not being fully attentive.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Very small thing, but the only Panther variants that should use the sprite representing the 3085 art should be the PNT-13K and the PNT-16K. The rest should use the standard Panther sprite.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
Question about how TAG should work for indirect spotting.  When I used a TAG to spot for an Archer, one of the penalties was +2 for spotter movement.  I thought TAG ignored spotter movement because you were paying for the weight of the TAG system and you had to make a to hit roll. 

Obviously it does not apply that penalty with Semi Guided Ammo, but I am not sure if this is new in this version or I am getting my Semi Guided rules confused with the TAG eratta.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
So if I have multiple relatively small bugs to report, would it be preferable to post them in a single post or do a separate post for each?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
So if I have multiple relatively small bugs to report, would it be preferable to post them in a single post or do a separate post for each?

Individual bug reports would be best. You can most the whole list here and I can recommend if any of them are group able.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Well the three I currently have in mind to group deal specifically with minor errors on the record sheets:

*Binary Laser Cannons mounted on aerospace units (small craft and fighters have been tried) display a damage value of 16 instead of 12 on the record sheet.
*Torpedoes have a listed range of zero on the record sheet.
*Command Consoles do not appear on aerospace fighter record sheets.

I have others that deal with other issues that I wouldn't group together.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
*Binary Laser Cannons mounted on aerospace units (small craft and fighters have been tried) display a damage value of 16 instead of 12 on the record sheet.
Don't worry about this one, I can do a quick fix today.

Other two you can link.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I hadn't really noticed it before but there seems to be an issue with mass advance days.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
I hadn't really noticed it before but there seems to be an issue with mass advance days.
Anything in the log?
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I am having trouble getting Github to open a new issue so I'll go ahead and attach it below.

It doesn't seem to matter what campaign I load up and I'm not sure which version it first cropped up in because I use the feature rather rarely so it slips my mind a lot to report it.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
What is the issue?
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
The button to submit a new bug on Github tracker is grayed out and won't let me actually click it and submit a new ticket for my inability to advance multiple days.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
The button to submit a new bug on Github tracker is grayed out and won't let me actually click it and submit a new ticket for my inability to advance multiple days.

I've seen that mentioned before, and the person had to log out reset their password and log in.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Bowie-Webster

• Private
It would appear that changing the memory allocation from 1024 to 2048 in MekHQ.l4j.ini and MegaMek.l4j.ini files stops them from launching their respective programmes.

If the memory is set back to 1024, the respective programme launched correctly.

Is this just my Java being a PITA or are other people having this problem. :-\

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
It seems to indeed be a JAVA thing as I get the same problem with my minecraft server I run for me and my friends.

Bowie-Webster

• Private
Damn!

Yet the stable release works fine. Thanks Oracle.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
In my case I seem to have gotten a 32 bit update and thus was able to fix it by getting a 64 bit update instead.

Probably me just not paying enough attention.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
It would appear that changing the memory allocation from 1024 to 2048 in MekHQ.l4j.ini and MegaMek.l4j.ini files stops them from launching their respective programmes.

If the memory is set back to 1024, the respective programme launched correctly.

Is this just my Java being a PITA or are other people having this problem. :-\

Sounds like a 32 bit Java issue, versus having 64 bit version
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Bowie-Webster

• Private
Sounds like a 32 bit Java issue, versus having 64 bit version

You are correct. I reinstalled Java 64 and changing the memory allocation now works correctly.

mztuplicancz

• Recruit
I think princess might have an issue with aerospace pilots(possibly just the ones in the air) who've ejected? Seems like it takes her 5-10 minutes sometimes to accept that she can't do anything with them but let them float down.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
Are era specific repair rolls broken? Or is it normal to be abnormally punished for being a mercenary in 3025? It's adding +3 to every repair and maintenance roll, and even an elite mech tech can't keep my mechs going. Just lost a perfectly good Jenner to a CT maintenance and repair failure.

I know I can untick it/change the repair modifier, I was just attempting to play with all the rules on.

dgorsman

• Captain
Are era specific repair rolls broken? Or is it normal to be abnormally punished for being a mercenary in 3025? It's adding +3 to every repair and maintenance roll, and even an elite mech tech can't keep my mechs going. Just lost a perfectly good Jenner to a CT maintenance and repair failure.

I know I can untick it/change the repair modifier, I was just attempting to play with all the rules on.

What location/circumstances and Merc rating (are you using Merc Handbook or Campaign Operations?) are in play?

In the field, with a C/D rated unit, in 3025, can certainly make life very difficult.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Reglor

• Private
How do you make direct artillery attacks in MegaMek?  It doesn't look like I can switch modes for my on-board artillery 'Mechs.  Is this just not implemented yet?

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
Been a while since I've tried that, but I think it is as simple as not making an indirect attack then the weapons should be available during the firing phase.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
How do you make direct artillery attacks in MegaMek?  It doesn't look like I can switch modes for my on-board artillery 'Mechs.  Is this just not implemented yet?

You should be able to target the hex the unit is in. Right click on hex.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website

The rolls are from StratOps and they are punishing, very punishing. Put a +3 modifier to a target on a 2d6 curve and the odds change massively.

That rule is listed as optional in StratOps, and explains why Mechs were rare and in poor working condition in the 3rd SW.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Also to be clear you merc rating does not modify the era modifiers.  The quality rating of the unit in question does though.

I do tend to think that +3 is a bit overly punishing though.

Shin Ji

• Warrant Officer

The trick with this is, first, you gotta wait until the normal weapons fire range. Second, you target the hex. There's a drop down menu that will give options like "clear," "Ignite," and "artillery." Select Artillery. Then hit fire! You'll need LoS, and to be 7-17 hexes from the target hex.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
+3 isn't too punishing if you're using AToW rules as a base.  Truly Elite techs should be starting at 0 or so for Target Numbers...

There's a pretty big gap between AToW and StratOps, unfortunately.  :-\

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
Just ran into this tonight

Weapons fire for Longinus Battle Armor [Flamer] (Ulric's Behemoths)
    Leg Attack at Marauder MAD-3R (Clan Ghost Bear (Reinforcements));  needs 7, rolls 7 :  - Glancing Blow -
 - Glancing Blow due to Narrow/Low Profile - hits  (using Kick table) RL
        Marauder MAD-3R (Clan Ghost Bear (Reinforcements)) takes 4 damage to RL.
            1 Armor remaining.

Critical hit on RL. Roll is 11; 2 locations.
            CRITICAL HIT on Heat Sink.
            CRITICAL HIT on Hip.

Are leg attacks exempt from the halving of the glancing blow rules?  And the -2 to the crit roll?  Is this working as intended?

mztuplicancz

• Recruit
I don't know how relevant the feature is, but I noticed that, in mekhq, if you sell or lose a unit that is assigned to a transport ship, the bays that that unit occupied stay occupied forever and there is seemingly no way within the client to reset/fix it.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
You may edit the save file by text editors and change the remaining bay, though, but it seems that it is not possible on MekHQ. Because the save file only checks the numbers of remaining bay, it seems that the mechanism is it is changed when you ship/leave the unit.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
And perhaps that's the reason why once my dropship's bay size is incorrect. I know that it is possible to edit the number of the remaining bay because of the problem but I wasn't able to reproduce. Perhaps you found how to do.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
Another interesting message in my game.  If anyone can tell me what it is that would be great. 

Weapons fire for Thor (Summoner) D (Clan Ghost Bear)
    ER Large Laser at Colt Medium Fighter (SRM) (Ulric's Behemoths);  needs 7, rolls 9 : hits  RWG
        Colt Medium Fighter (SRM) (Ulric's Behemoths) takes 10 damage to RWG.
            2 Armor remaining.
            Possible critical hit (unknown); needs 8, rolls 9 : No functioning weapons in location.
            Possible critical hit (Damage threshold exceeded); needs 8, rolls 5 : no effect.

I don't know what an unknown critical hit is coming from.  If I was pressed to guess the BAR on the Colt is listed as 1, but I didn't see any other unknown crits on previous hits, but I think they were from smaller weapons, which should have still penetrated the BAR but maybe didn't?

mztuplicancz

• Recruit
Is there any possibility for like, generalized missile ammo at some point(in mekhq)? It sometimes feels a little silly to specifically buy SRM 2 or 4 ammo and not just tons of SRMs - it feels like the logistical purpose of MMLs, also, is lost when you specifically have to purchase ammo for them and can't use your existing LRM/SRM ammo.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
The rolls are from StratOps and they are punishing, very punishing. Put a +3 modifier to a target on a 2d6 curve and the odds change massively.

That rule is listed as optional in StratOps, and explains why Mechs were rare and in poor working condition in the 3rd SW.

That makes sense, thank you. I may just give myself a +1/2 modifier and see if that makes it difficult but acceptable. I like the challenge of maintaining, and the odd component going down but not 5 at a time with extremely short odds of actually fixing them.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
Also, whilst I'm at it, can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to have my setting for on mass repair/salvage? When I hit the mass repair button it only occasionally repairs a few of the tens of potential repairs.

What I'd been aiming for with the below settings was that Extra green to veteran techs would repair anything with a target number between 3 (2 is a waste of their time) and 11 (12's are too rare), allowing me to make the final decision when it comes to the elite techs (so they wouldn't ruin CTs or engines etc.).

I've turned off damage/destroy parts by margin of failure.

yukamichi

• Corporal
Is there any possibility for like, generalized missile ammo at some point(in mekhq)? It sometimes feels a little silly to specifically buy SRM 2 or 4 ammo and not just tons of SRMs - it feels like the logistical purpose of MMLs, also, is lost when you specifically have to purchase ammo for them and can't use your existing LRM/SRM ammo.

That's what the "Ammo by type" option in the Campaign Options is for.

Last I checked it was broken in 0.47.6 though.

mztuplicancz

• Recruit
That's what the "Ammo by type" option in the Campaign Options is for.

Last I checked it was broken in 0.47.6 though.

Oh, okay, cool! I had had that option checked but assumed I was somehow misinterpreting what it's meant to do. Happy to know it'll be the case in future versions that I play!

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
The parent/child tracking, and the random marriage stuff is absolutely glorious by the way, makes running a dynasty so much fun! Thanks guys! 👍🏻

Seriously tempted to try and run a company from 2900s through to the post clan era once there's a good stable.

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
The parent/child tracking, and the random marriage stuff is absolutely glorious by the way, makes running a dynasty so much fun! Thanks guys! 👍🏻

Seriously tempted to try and run a company from 2900s through to the post clan era once there's a good stable.

One thing I have noticed on this, is that it does not place the child under the husband, only the mother. Not sure if that is as designed or not.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Two name corrections: there's an "r" missing in SM2 Heavy Artillery Vehicle, and there's a "t" too many in DI Schmitt Tank (Targetting Computer)

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
One thing I have noticed on this, is that it does not place the child under the husband, only the mother. Not sure if that is as designed or not.

If the marriage happens post-conception, then only the mother is considered to be the parent. However, a new option is coming to make it so the father can be determined through the spouse at the child's birth.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Dr. Banzai

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube.
If the marriage happens post-conception, then only the mother is considered to be the parent. However, a new option is coming to make it so the father can be determined through the spouse at the child's birth.
That's not exactly true.

If you match up a couple, have them procreate, then divorce them, the father will be listed.

If the mother has conceived before any marriage, then yes, only the mother will be the parent since her conception was considered "outside" the TO&E.

I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube. That person is a hateful person that does not represent the spirit of Buckaroo Banzai nor its fandom.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
That's not exactly true.

If you match up a couple, have them procreate, then divorce them, the father will be listed.

If the mother has conceived before any marriage, then yes, only the mother will be the parent since her conception was considered "outside" the TO&E.
Both are true, mine is just a simplification for post-marriage statements. That is because the father is determined by the spouse at the time of conception.
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
So how is the father determined when there is no marriage? My trail unit is going at it like rabbits, and have had several conceptions when in route to the next mission. So it can only be members of the unit as not on a planet for them to have a hook up or anything.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Even in transit there is plenty of opportunity for members to go out an enjoy themselves and come back with a surprise.

The odd space station, other jumpship in system at the same time, or if the world is close enough letting your troops R&R on a planet would be a welcome distraction by only a few jumps.

Of course that doesn't even take into consideration if you have to hire Dropship(s) or Jumpship(s) and the opportunities those provide.

Dr. Banzai

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube.
So how is the father determined when there is no marriage? My trail unit is going at it like rabbits, and have had several conceptions when in route to the next mission. So it can only be members of the unit as not on a planet for them to have a hook up or anything.
If there is no marriage, the father is a nobody that was passing through. Maybe a 'Mech groupie?

I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube. That person is a hateful person that does not represent the spirit of Buckaroo Banzai nor its fandom.

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
If there is no marriage, the father is a nobody that was passing through. Maybe a 'Mech groupie?

OK, My unit is going to have to have a talk about security, in a unmanned sector, traveling on our own jumpship, and we still get three/four knocked up from "a nobody that was passing through."  :D. One other relationship question you can now have same sex couples, what about for units like the Arkab Legion where there religion allows more than one wife?

On a side note, so far I am liking what I am seeing, built up a RCT and trying it out against the bot facing WOB. Only real issues I have found so far are on my end. I did try to have one of my pilots eject from his aerospace, and it did not work. Not sure if this was me, or not (only tried once, and I have found sometimes I do not click the buttons well enough). I did not see so not sure if I missed it or not, but is the grounded dropships allowed to use each weapon gone, or moved, or did I just miss it?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
I did not see so not sure if I missed it or not, but is the grounded dropships allowed to use each weapon gone, or moved, or did I just miss it?

Per some errata or other, grounded dropships now always use individual weapons.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
How about shotgun marriages? Make it so that any time a woman conceives outside marriage, there´s a chance that she´s instantly married to a random single man on the unit roster.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
C'mon guys :D

Reglor

• Private
Has anyone else been having a problem that customization don't start?  There have been many times that I will customize a 'Mech and when all the parts arrive the customization won't start. I have to cancel the customization and start it as a refit instead.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
How about shotgun marriages? Make it so that any time a woman conceives outside marriage, there´s a chance that she´s instantly married to a random single man on the unit roster.

A clan-styled trial seems required, then. If the woman wins on the mini-scenario(that ignores any attempts to killing on the result, and perhaps we can say it is a simulated battle), she instantly marry to the man.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
is it just me or is something very weird going on with hover engine weights?

built a 35 ton hover with 9/14 speed. the preview tab gives the correct rating of 140 (35 ton x 9mp  = 315 - 175sf = 140. the summary section on the main tab says the engine is 7.5 tons. TM says it should be 5 tons.

lower the speed to 8 and again it gives the correct rating (105) but puts the engine at 7 tons (the ICE weight for a 105) instead of 3.5.

further, the numbers all add up using the wrong weight in calculating the current weight of the vehicle at the bottom.

did i mess up somewhere?

i did mess up!  ;D
« Last Edit: 17 June 2020, 17:20:46 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I don't think you messed up.  The 140 is correct at 7.5 for a vehicle fusion engine.  Not sure why the 105 isn't the correct 5.5 tons (1.5 x 3.5, rounded up).

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
i forgot about the engine requirements for hover - 20% minimum weight and 1.5x mass for shielding (i haven't made one by hand since BMR)

never mind

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kirsala

• Recruit
Has anyone else been having a problem that customization don't start?  There have been many times that I will customize a 'Mech and when all the parts arrive the customization won't start. I have to cancel the customization and start it as a refit instead.

I've had this happen pretty much every time in the version I'm using (0.47.2). I saw it occasionally in previous versions as well.

Shin Ji

• Warrant Officer
Is anyone else having difficulty obtaining parts? All of a sudden my unit cannot buy anything - it all just automatically goes into procurement, where it stays forever. I have my settings set up the same way they have been, and have experimented with using Scrounge (which I have in one of my Admins) and Tech as the associated skill.

yukamichi

• Corporal
Do you have "Restrict Parts By Mission Type" selected? Default AtB rules modify what you can buy based on the type of mission you're on, your Unit Rating, and Year. Guerrilla Warfare and Raids in particular make it difficult to get your hands on anything more than basic ammunition. Some monthly event rolls will also mess with your supply chain.